Nicholson in 'The Shining'

Health insurance rip off lying FDA big bankers buying
Fake computer crashes dining
Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby Bad Craziness » Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:18 pm

scrambled wrote:ok i just saw The Shining for the first time

what's the best like media/writing/podcast to digest some of this stuff and gain further context


https://theunredacted.com/kubrick-apollo-conspiracy-under-a-shining-moon/
User avatar
Bad Craziness
 
Posts: 5515
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:21 pm
Location: la la land

Postby aububs » Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:22 pm

scrambled, watch room 237

it's cool

(i bet hipinion hates room 237)
no buddy not really
User avatar
aububs
 
Posts: 5774
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:18 pm

Postby easy » Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:32 pm

vivian darko wrote:Nicholson in 'The Shining'
User avatar
easy
does it
 
Posts: 45936
Joined: Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:07 pm

Postby mooncalf » Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:37 pm

aububs wrote:scrambled, watch room 237

it's cool

(i bet hipinion hates room 237)


i thought it was slight and pretty boring. i'd rather just watch the shining.
User avatar
mooncalf
 
Posts: 355
Joined: Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:53 pm

Postby big zorb » Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:38 pm

Room 237 is kinda lame because a lot of the theories have "clues" that are obviously just choices by kubrick
Woman: [Possibly smiling or laughing].
User avatar
big zorb
smiling drinker
 
Posts: 27345
Joined: Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:56 am

Postby FourLegsGood » Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:41 pm

Yeah, I'd read the moon landing hoax theory before seeing Room 237 and, while I didn't believe it, I thought it was interesting. Movie was pretty dull, though.
easy wrote:GOD DAMN IT
User avatar
FourLegsGood
 
Posts: 5605
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:20 pm
Location: Philadelphia

Postby aububs » Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:43 pm

classic
no buddy not really
User avatar
aububs
 
Posts: 5774
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:18 pm

Postby defective » Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:10 pm

yeah Room 237 was way overrated. something any halfway dedicated youtuber could put together.
User avatar
defective
 
Posts: 396
Joined: Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:01 pm
Location: in fashion the soft drinks expansion

Postby defective » Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:17 pm

Image
User avatar
defective
 
Posts: 396
Joined: Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:01 pm
Location: in fashion the soft drinks expansion

Postby number none » Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:26 pm

Image
User avatar
number none
 
Posts: 28171
Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 9:00 am

Postby defective » Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:57 pm

what an incredibly charismatic, ballsy movie star. he's historically gotten a lot of shit for chewing scenery, but name any actor today willing to take chances like he does in the shining.
User avatar
defective
 
Posts: 396
Joined: Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:01 pm
Location: in fashion the soft drinks expansion

Postby aububs » Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:07 pm

aububs wrote:scrambled, watch room 237

it's cool

(i bet hipinion hates room 237)

mooncalf wrote:i thought it was slight and pretty boring.

big zorb wrote:Room 237 is kinda lame

FourLegsGood wrote:Movie was pretty dull.

defective wrote:yeah Room 237 was way overrated.


Image
no buddy not really
User avatar
aububs
 
Posts: 5774
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:18 pm

Postby Wrong Titus » Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:28 pm

scrambled wrote:I guess because I knew all the iconography already of the twins/blood/etc, the domestic abuse stuff really stood out as most scary and terrifying and unsettling.



Stephen King called the movie "sexist" because of changes made to Wendy from the book, but I think he misses the point. In the book Wendy is the smart, cool, confident, blonde, "beautiful" wife. Her characterization pretty much amounts to a kind of ideal of the time, which is to say, a bit superficial. There are steamy sex scenes. It's a 'perfect' nuclear family ruined by alcoholism (and ghosts).

Shelly Duvall's characterization of Wendy works so well as the kind of wife an embittered, abusive, wannabe great writer would settle for and then resent. She wears all the marks of someone who finds themselves tethered to an abusive person. The "Wendy" from the book is the kind of wife Jack Nicholson's character thinks he should have and who he resents his wife for not being. Just like he hates his son whose "great talent" outstrips his own.

I don't mean to suggest the movie's Wendy is weak or ineffectual. There's just a lot more going on with the characterizations in the movie (which i realize is a point many have made!)
User avatar
Wrong Titus
 
Posts: 214
Joined: Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:41 pm

Postby Wrong Titus » Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:30 pm

aububs wrote:
aububs wrote:scrambled, watch room 237

it's cool

(i bet hipinion hates room 237)

mooncalf wrote:i thought it was slight and pretty boring.

big zorb wrote:Room 237 is kinda lame

FourLegsGood wrote:Movie was pretty dull.

defective wrote:yeah Room 237 was way overrated.


Image


haha. I like Room 237! Every time I meet someone who doesn't like it, they always seem to think it's promoting or tacitly agreeing with all the commentators(not saying that's what's going on here)
User avatar
Wrong Titus
 
Posts: 214
Joined: Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:41 pm

Postby black mamba » Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:41 pm

defective wrote:what an incredibly charismatic, ballsy movie star. he's historically gotten a lot of shit for chewing scenery, but name any actor today willing to take chances like he does in the shining.


ImageToggle Spoiler
Image
User avatar
black mamba
ok
 
Posts: 13121
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:19 pm
Location: my fat fabulous life

Postby defective » Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:35 pm

ok that's pretty good.
User avatar
defective
 
Posts: 396
Joined: Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:01 pm
Location: in fashion the soft drinks expansion

Postby aububs » Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:51 am

Wrong Titus wrote:haha. I like Room 237! Every time I meet someone who doesn't like it, they always seem to think it's promoting or tacitly agreeing with all the commentators(not saying that's what's going on here)


yeah I don't think room 237 is really about the shining at all. or at least, the conspiracy theories and movie analysis was secondary in my enjoyment of it. the real appeal of it is seeing a bunch of cool crazy people who are completely obsessed with something that is kinda ridiculous getting a platform to talk. I thought it was a lot of fun. thinking the shining is about the faked moon landing is awesome. thinking the movie is about the holocaust because a dopey the dwarf sticker disappears is cool as hell. and there's nothing lame or boring about running the shining backwards on top of itself (also that dude is in no neck blues band and excepter which grounds him in a world I appreciate) because you think it might reveal more clues about the movie or be enlightening in some way, that's a fuckin cool thing to do and totally valid. thinking that's lame and boring is p lame and boring imo! heyoo
no buddy not really
User avatar
aububs
 
Posts: 5774
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:18 pm

Postby Spoilt Victorian Child » Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:03 am

I just think it sucks that The Shining is now tangled up in moon-landing hoax shit, which is the absolute worst of shit.
User avatar
Spoilt Victorian Child
ok
 
Posts: 34492
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:49 pm
Location: Philadelphia

Postby aububs » Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:34 am

there's definitely worse of shit
no buddy not really
User avatar
aububs
 
Posts: 5774
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:18 pm

Postby FourLegsGood » Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:37 am

The moon landing hoax/Shining stuff is fun as a thought exercise but, yeah, it obviously doesn't hold up under any amount of scrutiny and I'd hate for it to get legs enough to permanently color people's perception of a really good movie. Tangentially, here's an interesting, in-depth interview with Kubrick on the film.
easy wrote:GOD DAMN IT
User avatar
FourLegsGood
 
Posts: 5605
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:20 pm
Location: Philadelphia

Postby goldsoundz » Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:00 am

the moon landing shit is nonsense but i think there's absolutely some purposeful references to the native americans
User avatar
goldsoundz
 
Posts: 3135
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:45 pm
Location: chicago

Postby Lucky » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:07 am

Outside of the Apollo 11 jumper and Baphomet pose in the photo at the end are there even any other moon references
katy perry pissing all over my diamond-encrusted crown as I sentence another peon to death
User avatar
Lucky
 
Posts: 39070
Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 9:38 am

Postby Rainbow Battle Kid » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:11 am



iirc i found this 10-minute video way more enjoyable than Room 237, just going into the way the geography of the hotel doesn't make sense
Much Honoured Lord Nefarious wrote:rainbow battle kid you can kindly get the FUCK out of this thread while the adults have actual STAR WARS discussions.
User avatar
Rainbow Battle Kid
 
Posts: 12264
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:53 pm

Postby Bad Craziness » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:03 am

I had a conversation in real life with a friend who sincerely believed the moon thing and it was amazing/exhausting, the sheer mental gymnastics of it
User avatar
Bad Craziness
 
Posts: 5515
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:21 pm
Location: la la land

Postby Sports Fan of the Year » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:22 am

FourLegsGood wrote: Tangentially, here's an interesting, in-depth interview with Kubrick on the film.


... where?
mites wrote:I'm a factory where every input is pizza and every output is depression
User avatar
Sports Fan of the Year
 
Posts: 7599
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:59 am
Location: Bristol, England.

Postby spix et chicho » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:23 am

everywhere
CIARA IS DEFIANTLY A MAN AND ITS DISGUSTING MY CUZIN WAS THROWING UP FOR 2 WEEKSM YUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKK PLEASE SIGN THIS B/C THATS JSUT HERENDOUZ
User avatar
spix et chicho
 
Posts: 22897
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:21 pm
Location: montreal

Postby Smiling Penner-Lite » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:12 am

Wrong Titus wrote:
scrambled wrote:I guess because I knew all the iconography already of the twins/blood/etc, the domestic abuse stuff really stood out as most scary and terrifying and unsettling.



Stephen King called the movie "sexist" because of changes made to Wendy from the book, but I think he misses the point. In the book Wendy is the smart, cool, confident, blonde, "beautiful" wife. Her characterization pretty much amounts to a kind of ideal of the time, which is to say, a bit superficial. There are steamy sex scenes. It's a 'perfect' nuclear family ruined by alcoholism (and ghosts).

Shelly Duvall's characterization of Wendy works so well as the kind of wife an embittered, abusive, wannabe great writer would settle for and then resent. She wears all the marks of someone who finds themselves tethered to an abusive person. The "Wendy" from the book is the kind of wife Jack Nicholson's character thinks he should have and who he resents his wife for not being. Just like he hates his son whose "great talent" outstrips his own.

I don't mean to suggest the movie's Wendy is weak or ineffectual. There's just a lot more going on with the characterizations in the movie (which i realize is a point many have made!)


Man Duvall is like the best part of the entire film. I met with a number of female clients who suffered from DV who fit her characterization.
User avatar
Smiling Penner-Lite
 
Posts: 5243
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:21 pm

Postby griffith scannell » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:23 am

goldsoundz wrote:the moon landing shit is nonsense but i think there's absolutely some purposeful references to the native americans

"White man's burden, Lloyd, my man. White man's burden."
User avatar
griffith scannell
 
Posts: 838
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:20 pm

Postby thrasher » Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:28 pm

About Schmidt is one of those movies I end up watching 2x times a year just because. he reminds me of my dad in that one. good movie
User avatar
thrasher
 
Posts: 4325
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:28 pm
Location: like 7" from the midday sun

Previous

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: average deceiver, deep blue meanies, futurist, Geoff, Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], Google Feedfetcher, holland oats, jon, kid8, mealy potatoes, murderhorn, NegativeCapability, robotculinaire, That Demon Life, trampoline, trouble, wong, Zardoz