Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby Bad Craziness » Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:18 pm

scrambled wrote:ok i just saw The Shining for the first time

what's the best like media/writing/podcast to digest some of this stuff and gain further context

https://theunredacted.com/kubrick-apollo-conspiracy-under-a-shining-moon/
Bad Craziness

Postby aububs » Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:22 pm

scrambled, watch room 237

it's cool

(i bet hipinion hates room 237)
no buddy not really
aububs

Postby easy » Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:32 pm

vivian darko wrote:Nicholson in 'The Shining'
easy
does it

Postby mooncalf » Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:37 pm

aububs wrote:scrambled, watch room 237

it's cool

i thought it was slight and pretty boring. i'd rather just watch the shining.
mooncalf

Postby big zorb » Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:38 pm

Room 237 is kinda lame because a lot of the theories have "clues" that are obviously just choices by kubrick
Woman: [Possibly smiling or laughing].
big zorb
smiling drinker

Postby FourLegsGood » Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:41 pm

Yeah, I'd read the moon landing hoax theory before seeing Room 237 and, while I didn't believe it, I thought it was interesting. Movie was pretty dull, though.
easy wrote:GOD DAMN IT
FourLegsGood

Postby aububs » Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:43 pm

classic
no buddy not really
aububs

Postby defective » Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:10 pm

yeah Room 237 was way overrated. something any halfway dedicated youtuber could put together.
defective

Postby defective » Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:17 pm

defective

Postby number none » Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:26 pm

number none

Postby defective » Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:57 pm

what an incredibly charismatic, ballsy movie star. he's historically gotten a lot of shit for chewing scenery, but name any actor today willing to take chances like he does in the shining.
defective

Postby aububs » Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:07 pm

it's cool

mooncalf wrote:i thought it was slight and pretty boring.

big zorb wrote:Room 237 is kinda lame

FourLegsGood wrote:Movie was pretty dull.

defective wrote:yeah Room 237 was way overrated.

no buddy not really
aububs

Postby Wrong Titus » Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:28 pm

scrambled wrote:I guess because I knew all the iconography already of the twins/blood/etc, the domestic abuse stuff really stood out as most scary and terrifying and unsettling.

Stephen King called the movie "sexist" because of changes made to Wendy from the book, but I think he misses the point. In the book Wendy is the smart, cool, confident, blonde, "beautiful" wife. Her characterization pretty much amounts to a kind of ideal of the time, which is to say, a bit superficial. There are steamy sex scenes. It's a 'perfect' nuclear family ruined by alcoholism (and ghosts).

Shelly Duvall's characterization of Wendy works so well as the kind of wife an embittered, abusive, wannabe great writer would settle for and then resent. She wears all the marks of someone who finds themselves tethered to an abusive person. The "Wendy" from the book is the kind of wife Jack Nicholson's character thinks he should have and who he resents his wife for not being. Just like he hates his son whose "great talent" outstrips his own.

I don't mean to suggest the movie's Wendy is weak or ineffectual. There's just a lot more going on with the characterizations in the movie (which i realize is a point many have made!)
Wrong Titus

Postby Wrong Titus » Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:30 pm

aububs wrote:

it's cool

mooncalf wrote:i thought it was slight and pretty boring.

big zorb wrote:Room 237 is kinda lame

FourLegsGood wrote:Movie was pretty dull.

defective wrote:yeah Room 237 was way overrated.

haha. I like Room 237! Every time I meet someone who doesn't like it, they always seem to think it's promoting or tacitly agreeing with all the commentators(not saying that's what's going on here)
Wrong Titus

Postby black mamba » Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:41 pm

defective wrote:what an incredibly charismatic, ballsy movie star. he's historically gotten a lot of shit for chewing scenery, but name any actor today willing to take chances like he does in the shining.

ImageToggle Spoiler
black mamba
ok

Postby defective » Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:35 pm

ok that's pretty good.
defective

Postby aububs » Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:51 am

Wrong Titus wrote:haha. I like Room 237! Every time I meet someone who doesn't like it, they always seem to think it's promoting or tacitly agreeing with all the commentators(not saying that's what's going on here)

yeah I don't think room 237 is really about the shining at all. or at least, the conspiracy theories and movie analysis was secondary in my enjoyment of it. the real appeal of it is seeing a bunch of cool crazy people who are completely obsessed with something that is kinda ridiculous getting a platform to talk. I thought it was a lot of fun. thinking the shining is about the faked moon landing is awesome. thinking the movie is about the holocaust because a dopey the dwarf sticker disappears is cool as hell. and there's nothing lame or boring about running the shining backwards on top of itself (also that dude is in no neck blues band and excepter which grounds him in a world I appreciate) because you think it might reveal more clues about the movie or be enlightening in some way, that's a fuckin cool thing to do and totally valid. thinking that's lame and boring is p lame and boring imo! heyoo
no buddy not really
aububs

Postby Spoilt Victorian Child » Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:03 am

I just think it sucks that The Shining is now tangled up in moon-landing hoax shit, which is the absolute worst of shit.
Spoilt Victorian Child
ok

Postby aububs » Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:34 am

there's definitely worse of shit
no buddy not really
aububs

Postby FourLegsGood » Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:37 am

The moon landing hoax/Shining stuff is fun as a thought exercise but, yeah, it obviously doesn't hold up under any amount of scrutiny and I'd hate for it to get legs enough to permanently color people's perception of a really good movie. Tangentially, here's an interesting, in-depth interview with Kubrick on the film.
easy wrote:GOD DAMN IT
FourLegsGood

Postby goldsoundz » Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:00 am

the moon landing shit is nonsense but i think there's absolutely some purposeful references to the native americans
goldsoundz

Postby Lucky » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:07 am

Outside of the Apollo 11 jumper and Baphomet pose in the photo at the end are there even any other moon references
katy perry pissing all over my diamond-encrusted crown as I sentence another peon to death
Lucky

Postby Rainbow Battle Kid » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:11 am

iirc i found this 10-minute video way more enjoyable than Room 237, just going into the way the geography of the hotel doesn't make sense
Much Honoured Lord Nefarious wrote:rainbow battle kid you can kindly get the FUCK out of this thread while the adults have actual STAR WARS discussions.
Rainbow Battle Kid

Postby Bad Craziness » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:03 am

I had a conversation in real life with a friend who sincerely believed the moon thing and it was amazing/exhausting, the sheer mental gymnastics of it
Bad Craziness

Postby Sports Fan of the Year » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:22 am

FourLegsGood wrote: Tangentially, here's an interesting, in-depth interview with Kubrick on the film.

... where?
mites wrote:I'm a factory where every input is pizza and every output is depression
Sports Fan of the Year

Postby spix et chicho » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:23 am

everywhere
CIARA IS DEFIANTLY A MAN AND ITS DISGUSTING MY CUZIN WAS THROWING UP FOR 2 WEEKSM YUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKK PLEASE SIGN THIS B/C THATS JSUT HERENDOUZ
spix et chicho

Postby Smiling Penner-Lite » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:12 am

Wrong Titus wrote:
scrambled wrote:I guess because I knew all the iconography already of the twins/blood/etc, the domestic abuse stuff really stood out as most scary and terrifying and unsettling.

Stephen King called the movie "sexist" because of changes made to Wendy from the book, but I think he misses the point. In the book Wendy is the smart, cool, confident, blonde, "beautiful" wife. Her characterization pretty much amounts to a kind of ideal of the time, which is to say, a bit superficial. There are steamy sex scenes. It's a 'perfect' nuclear family ruined by alcoholism (and ghosts).

Shelly Duvall's characterization of Wendy works so well as the kind of wife an embittered, abusive, wannabe great writer would settle for and then resent. She wears all the marks of someone who finds themselves tethered to an abusive person. The "Wendy" from the book is the kind of wife Jack Nicholson's character thinks he should have and who he resents his wife for not being. Just like he hates his son whose "great talent" outstrips his own.

I don't mean to suggest the movie's Wendy is weak or ineffectual. There's just a lot more going on with the characterizations in the movie (which i realize is a point many have made!)

Man Duvall is like the best part of the entire film. I met with a number of female clients who suffered from DV who fit her characterization.
Smiling Penner-Lite

Postby griffith scannell » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:23 am

goldsoundz wrote:the moon landing shit is nonsense but i think there's absolutely some purposeful references to the native americans

"White man's burden, Lloyd, my man. White man's burden."
griffith scannell

Postby thrasher » Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:28 pm

About Schmidt is one of those movies I end up watching 2x times a year just because. he reminds me of my dad in that one. good movie
thrasher

Previous

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....