Dinosaur Jr - Where You Been (1993)

Let's talk Aguachile Alley

Postby jewels » Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:55 pm

I adore half of this album, and the rest is good.
gold and glass wrote:When you get to heaven, do you get to see a list of which gimmicks belonged to who?

jewels

Postby clouds » Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:19 pm

if i could look and talk like anyone it would be j mascis

he is beautiful and calming to me

clouds

Postby Parson Floogle » Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:16 am

Same as a lot of others, this is the first Dino I owned or heard and holds a special place in my heart. Out There,Get Me, On the Way and Hide are all certified bangers in my book. The rest of it is still decent. I thought Without a Sound was a disappointment when it come out and still don't care for it much.

Parson Floogle

Postby emotional fascism » Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:31 am

this album actually got me into Dinosaur Jr in college, so it's pretty dear to me (they became my fave band almost instantly). I think it's solid from start to finish - I do wonder how much better it might have been with Lou involved, but I love the production and thick sound of J's guitar.

emotional fascism

Postby jewels » Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:34 am

Lou’s baselines are so melodic, album definitely missing him
gold and glass wrote:When you get to heaven, do you get to see a list of which gimmicks belonged to who?

jewels

Postby Grumby » Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:17 am

goneeeeeee awayyyyyy

Grumby

Postby boatwave » Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:39 pm

Parson Floogle wrote:Same as a lot of others, this is the first Dino I owned or heard and holds a special place in my heart. Out There,Get Me, On the Way and Hide are all certified bangers in my book. The rest of it is still decent. I thought Without a Sound was a disappointment when it come out and still don't care for it much.

Without a Sound wasn't as good, I agree, but I really like Hand It Over even if it's got the sad sludgefest turned up to 10. I think of it as like a spiritual sequel to Where You Been.

NP: Where You Been 8-)

boatwave

Postby Cone » Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:57 pm

peshay wrote:
Cone wrote:This is one of the 6 cds that’s been in my car cd changer for the past 10 years

Great driving music, interested in what the other 5 are?

The Beatles - Please Please Me
The Bee Gees - Spirits Having Flown
CCR - Willy and the Poor Boys
Stone Temple Pilots - Purple
Modest Mouse - The Moon and Antarctica

Cone

Postby Grumby » Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:00 pm

"on the way" is a punk banger tbh

Grumby

Postby Brouhaha » Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:07 am

Grumby wrote:i like that weirdly enough, the stand in bassist after lou (mike johnson) actually has some super good solo albums that are just reveling in obscurity. and are similarly depressing and vulnerable like a lot of sebadoh is.

I have all of them and used to listen to them quite a bit. he also happens to play on all the best solo lanegan lps

last few mascis releases have all been good
make it mild

Brouhaha

Postby boatwave » Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:39 am

Mine Is Clouds wrote:if i could look and talk like anyone it would be j mascis

One time me and my friend were the first people in the venue and J Mascis walked right by us eating peanuts and dropping the shells on the floor. He was wearing the NASA hat and everything. Too starstruck to say hi.

My friend saw Nirvana open for them and always talks about how much better Nirvana was live.

boatwave

Postby harperesque » Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:52 am

I came around to Dino Jr pretty late but I don't think I've ever listened to an album of theirs without Barlow on it
I've got to say sorry for that.

harperesque

Postby emotional fascism » Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:58 am

boatwave wrote:
Mine Is Clouds wrote:if i could look and talk like anyone it would be j mascis

One time me and my friend were the first people in the venue and J Mascis walked right by us eating peanuts and dropping the shells on the floor. He was wearing the NASA hat and everything. Too starstruck to say hi.

My friend saw Nirvana open for them and always talks about how much better Nirvana was live.

he came into a record store I was shopping in once and the owner had no idea who he was... called him a space cadet after J finished paying and left.

emotional fascism

Postby Grumby » Tue May 01, 2018 8:07 pm

Grumby

Postby Grumby » Fri May 04, 2018 7:58 pm

this is a funny little diatribe

https://www.loudersound.com/features/di ... gen-x-band

Where Nirvana still had the energy to be angsty and angry, Dinosaur Jr were the perfect Generation X band: apathetic, lazy, jaded. Their song titles said it all – Yeah We Know, How’d You Pin That One On Me, What Else Is New, Yeah Right – these truly were songs for the jilted generation: a group of people who had nothing much to say, nothing much to be angry about, nothing much to look forward to.

“Yeah,” nods Mascis. “We’re not happy and we’re not sure why. There’s nothing concrete that we could be pissed off about. There’s no war and we’re not starving or anything and we shouldn’t have any particular problems, but we’re still miserable somehow. I was kind of always envious of people who had more concrete problems cos at least they had some excuse – y’know like they were

Grumby

Postby Grumby » Fri May 04, 2018 8:10 pm

i think it's why they're still so relatable despite any sort of generational difference from there's to the current one (mine). you could totally throw away any grunge nineties nostalgia or eighties punk stuff and just the sonics/emotional quality is still there

Grumby

Postby peshay » Fri May 04, 2018 8:34 pm

Cone wrote:
peshay wrote:
Cone wrote:This is one of the 6 cds that’s been in my car cd changer for the past 10 years

Great driving music, interested in what the other 5 are?

The Beatles - Please Please Me
The Bee Gees - Spirits Having Flown
CCR - Willy aravyn lenae - crush epnd the Poor Boys
Stone Temple Pilots - Purple
Modest Mouse - The Moon and Antarctica

Belated thanks. Eclectic mix.

peshay

Postby boatwave » Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:23 am

Grumby wrote:i think it's why they're still so relatable despite any sort of generational difference from there's to the current one (mine). you could totally throw away any grunge nineties nostalgia or eighties punk stuff and just the sonics/emotional quality is still there

boatwave

Postby Eyeball Kid » Thu Feb 09, 2023 6:30 pm

Bump because this album came out 30 years ago today 👍

Eyeball Kid

Previous

Return to Aguachile Alley