I hate superhero movies

Let's talk Aguachile Alley

Postby Poptone » Thu May 17, 2018 1:37 am

john plainman wrote:Image

i want to love this but i'm drunk and can't tell what is on the right side

Poptone
cat fan

Postby traced out » Thu May 17, 2018 2:25 am

morbo wrote:A few months ago a couple of my coworkers were talking and one guy starts describing this movie he'd seen recently, telling the other guy he should check it out.

So the guy asks in this real snarky tone "well are there any SUPERHEROES in it?"

The other guy says no and he responds "OH, well I'm NOT interested."

I think about that exchange a lot. Like what did this guy do before all the superhero movies? Did he not enjoy cinema? Why are movies only worth watching if they have superheroes in them? Why did he sound so offended that someone would even watch or make or create anything that didn't involve superheroes? What's so great about superheroes anyway?

i don't think anyone watches any movies anymore except for superhero movies (and the other huge franchises)

traced out

Postby mites » Thu May 17, 2018 2:26 am

Yea cause movies are Long and Boring

mites

Postby john plainman » Thu May 17, 2018 2:40 am

Poptone wrote:
john plainman wrote:Image

i want to love this but i'm drunk and can't tell what is on the right side

Die nibelungen

john plainman
Hello? Hello? Anybody home?

Postby Poptone » Thu May 17, 2018 8:31 am

ah yeah hahaha

my head hurts this morning

Poptone
cat fan

Postby light rail coyote » Thu May 17, 2018 9:35 am

surly wrote:
light rail coyote wrote:it's based on an actual book and not comics

i know this was hours ago but

FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAART

i was just tryin' to rile up some nerds.

it worked

light rail coyote

Postby Poptone » Thu May 17, 2018 9:37 am

only on hipinion could a man with a carnival of souls avatar call someone else a nerd

Poptone
cat fan

Postby light rail coyote » Thu May 17, 2018 9:40 am

yeah man who can forget the carnival of souls homage in ready player one

light rail coyote

Postby Poptone » Thu May 17, 2018 9:40 am

whoops wrong thread

but the point is only movie nerds know carnival of souls

Poptone
cat fan

Postby cooly » Thu May 17, 2018 9:42 am

poptone is a good guy. i hope my posts didn't annoy you too much poptone. i figure you probably like die nibelungen anyways
can wrote:old lady [whispering]

cooly

Postby Poptone » Thu May 17, 2018 9:43 am

no way i liked yr posts in here

Poptone
cat fan

Postby light rail coyote » Thu May 17, 2018 9:43 am

it's a pretty well-known movie that gets played on cable every halloween

light rail coyote

Postby Poptone » Thu May 17, 2018 9:46 am

(a) i don't have cable but i grew up with it and don't remember it playing a single damn time

(b) feel free to conduct an unscientific poll of the people in your area to ask them if they know of "Carnival of Souls" and identify with it enough to use a still from it as an avatar

(c) you are a registered user on forums.hipinion.com; you're a giant maxo zoom nerd by default

Poptone
cat fan

Postby Kenny » Thu May 17, 2018 9:48 am

I love super hero movies now
[PEACE] [LOVE] [UNITY] [RESPECT] (stay posi)

You are a sacred being of light projected into reality for a purpose. Demand the right to your moment in this holographic gift with no rules, no borders, except for those you choose to accept and live by.

Without Labour there is no Rest; nor without Fighting can the Victory be Won ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ

WOAH CLICK HERE

Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby Muad'dib bin Stiltzkin » Thu May 17, 2018 9:50 am

One complaint about super hero movies heard from the fanbase and local.comic book stores is that the movies do not bring in new customers. and that the publishers should stop trying to create jumping on points for new readers in whichever title has a movie coming out that summer. Black Panther's success at the box office doesn't lead to success in sales for the comics.

The cynical view is that the movies crowd out anything else, the movies only generate more interest in more of the same movies. I don't really think that. I think new comic book readers are overwhelmed by decades of back story and disparate storytellers and artists. Image comics has been greatly successful at getting new readers reading creator owned works. And I think there is a path for blockbusters movies to generate fans for more niche, interesting works.

Of course the majority of people who go see avengers are not going to become regulars at their local comic book store or branch out to more heavy literary sci find or But some will! I hope! I mean personally I would not know who Margaret Atwood, Octavia Butler, Ursula Le Guin, if I hadn't gotten my start into sci-fi with comics.

Muad'dib bin Stiltzkin
ok

Postby Poptone » Thu May 17, 2018 9:52 am

i learned the word "doppelgänger" from spider-man comics

it wasn't in the dictionary and my dad didn't know what it meant either but using context clues i solved the case

thanks, spider-man!

Poptone
cat fan

Postby Kenny » Thu May 17, 2018 9:56 am

i think comics would have to push out much bigger issues to a stricter deadline to really keep movie fans invested. I think it's a sort of lost cause though, seems like the cool part of comics is serial storytelling while most people are seeing comic book movies for cool action and cgi

You are a sacred being of light projected into reality for a purpose. Demand the right to your moment in this holographic gift with no rules, no borders, except for those you choose to accept and live by.

Without Labour there is no Rest; nor without Fighting can the Victory be Won ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ

WOAH CLICK HERE

Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby Muad'dib bin Stiltzkin » Thu May 17, 2018 10:05 am

Whenever I'm in a comic book store (which isnt often these days) I hear someone ask if so and.so has been collected into a trade paperback yet, hear no, and leave the store

Muad'dib bin Stiltzkin
ok

Postby Poptone » Thu May 17, 2018 10:24 am

Kenny wrote:i think comics would have to push out much bigger issues to a stricter deadline to really keep movie fans invested. I think it's a sort of lost cause though, seems like the cool part of comics is serial storytelling while most people are seeing comic book movies for cool action and cgi

even the superhero film detractors are saying that the serialized and interconnected nature of these films is one of their main selling points (unfortunately in their eyes). MCU's been doing one long, 10-year serialized story

Poptone
cat fan

Postby Poptone » Thu May 17, 2018 10:25 am

new blood, old hat wrote:Whenever I'm in a comic book store (which isnt often these days) I hear someone ask if so and.so has been collected into a trade paperback yet, hear no, and leave the store

yeah i really don't want to mess with individual issues or ongoing storylines

just lemme know when it's done and gathered together

Poptone
cat fan

Postby Kenny » Thu May 17, 2018 10:37 am

I follow Saga in ongoing but consider the tpbs and the issues :ugeek:

I'm just a tpb guy, loose issues aren't worse the fuss

re: storytelling, I get you but I think the stories are a lot simplier/faster than that you get in a comic that comes out once a month

WOAH CLICK HERE

Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby light rail coyote » Thu May 17, 2018 11:47 am

Poptone wrote:(a) i don't have cable but i grew up with it and don't remember it playing a single damn time

(b) feel free to conduct an unscientific poll of the people in your area to ask them if they know of "Carnival of Souls" and identify with it enough to use a still from it as an avatar

(c) you are a registered user on forums.hipinion.com; you're a giant maxo zoom nerd by default

the first time I saw it was on cable in a frat house

light rail coyote

Postby Viz » Thu May 17, 2018 12:54 pm

Not from lack of trying to get people into the comics though.

Whenever a new superhero movie comes out, there are tons of new trades about them that pop up. Mind you, I'm only noticing this in the bookstores.
Viz

Postby cooly » Thu May 17, 2018 1:06 pm

light rail coyote wrote:
Poptone wrote:(a) i don't have cable but i grew up with it and don't remember it playing a single damn time

the first time I saw it was on cable in a frat house

yes... this is also where i saw die nibelungen, throwing some brewskis back with my fraternity brothers :)
can wrote:old lady [whispering]

cooly

Postby Eyeball Kid » Thu May 17, 2018 1:46 pm

One time, my frat house held a Satantango (Tarr, 1994) party where we competed to see who could hold the longest kegstand during the film's walking sequences.

Eyeball Kid

Postby john plainman » Thu May 17, 2018 2:57 pm

light rail coyote wrote:it's a pretty well-known movie that gets played on cable every halloween

Oh come on, its cult horror that’s now half a century old.

john plainman
Hello? Hello? Anybody home?

Postby goofjan » Thu May 17, 2018 3:00 pm

Wait, is this the clown horror movie with Larry Miller? I didn't know that was a remake.
plz if u get a chanse put some flowrs on algernons grave kthxbye

goofjan

Postby Poptone » Thu May 17, 2018 3:04 pm

goofjan wrote:Wait, is this the clown horror movie with Larry Miller? I didn't know that was a remake.

holy shit i had no idea this "remake" even existed

oof

Poptone
cat fan

Postby Poptone » Thu May 17, 2018 3:05 pm

Poptone
cat fan

Postby morbo » Fri May 18, 2018 6:53 am

Are there any regularhero movies?
those windmills will keep them cool

morbo

PreviousNext