Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby mites » Wed May 16, 2018 12:07 am

"I can't believe this extremely expensive form that also has the potential for incredible profit margins is pursuing a popular form of entertainment to the hilt! UGH and the people just keep ENJOYING THEM"

I think the whole marvel film by committee giving the director helm to smaller ppl and all the awkward big themes of marvel are interesting and more fun to think about than most auteur-tradition film
mites

Postby mites » Wed May 16, 2018 12:07 am

awww yea toop bb

tbc I would hate it if everyone had this experience or opinion about what things they liked to think about
mites

Postby Daft Pun » Wed May 16, 2018 12:09 am

my opinion is that deadpool is the worst offender with these superhero movies due to the edginess. suicide squad is a close second
AIR
Daft Pun
i'm ill not sicc

Postby spix et chicho » Wed May 16, 2018 12:10 am

even beyond that it’s just like, wishful thinking, and more nostalgia. always trying to return to something that never existed. always denying reality
CIARA IS DEFIANTLY A MAN AND ITS DISGUSTING MY CUZIN WAS THROWING UP FOR 2 WEEKSM YUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKK PLEASE SIGN THIS B/C THATS JSUT HERENDOUZ
spix et chicho

Postby spix et chicho » Wed May 16, 2018 12:12 am

the film industry isn’t going to go back to some halcyon time of artistic freedom. come to terms with that, ignore what you don’t like if you want or learn to appreciate the strange ways it’s always changing.
CIARA IS DEFIANTLY A MAN AND ITS DISGUSTING MY CUZIN WAS THROWING UP FOR 2 WEEKSM YUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKK PLEASE SIGN THIS B/C THATS JSUT HERENDOUZ
spix et chicho

Postby mites » Wed May 16, 2018 12:13 am

yall should look up the most popular films from the years of yr favorite auteur/indie/art films or whatever

turns out they co-existed with blockbusters!
mites

Postby Daft Pun » Wed May 16, 2018 12:14 am

learn? appreciate? i don't think so
AIR
Daft Pun
i'm ill not sicc

Postby mites » Wed May 16, 2018 12:16 am

I saw a Good Movie the other night

it sucked
mites

Postby mites » Wed May 16, 2018 12:17 am

jk I've never seen a good movie
mites

Postby internetfriend » Wed May 16, 2018 12:17 am

is anyone arguing that mcu stuff is choking other movies out? i feel like i’ve mostly seen people saying “i don’t think mcu stuff is choking other movies out”
iambic wrote:no don't make those posts
internetfriend
pubg survivalist

Postby internetfriend » Wed May 16, 2018 12:18 am

oh i guess there was earlier in the thread

anyway maybe i’m missing something but i feel like you’re kinda arguing at me about an opinion i don’t actually have and haven’t expressed having, mites
internetfriend
pubg survivalist

Postby Daft Pun » Wed May 16, 2018 12:19 am

i think all film can coexist in peace but also the mcu stuff is in fact choking other moves oit
AIR
Daft Pun
i'm ill not sicc

Postby mites » Wed May 16, 2018 12:19 am

are you doing this again?

I wasn't talking to you
mites

Postby Daft Pun » Wed May 16, 2018 12:20 am

haha so tru know yr mem
AIR
Daft Pun
i'm ill not sicc

Postby big zorb » Wed May 16, 2018 12:21 am

mites wrote:I feel like board consensus has moved well past these kinds of weirdo complaints in most other mediums but not movies for whatever reason

i think this is pretty true but it's also different, because even, say, if the opinion is "actually indie rock sucks and bubblegum pop is the best" you don't have xyz pop star promotions at mcdonalds and sponsoring the playoffs. the avengers are fucking inescapable, every nook and cranny that can squeeze out a penny from this shit has it. i think that is why people keep circling back to the marketing/capitalist element of this stuff, the films are one and the same, they're all part of this relentless juggernaut that has infected everywhere. there are places in pop culture where you never have to engage with carly rae or something but marvel is every single place you look. it's exhausting.
Woman: [Possibly smiling or laughing].
big zorb
smiling drinker

Postby mites » Wed May 16, 2018 12:21 am

Daft Pun wrote:Image

haha so tru know yr mem

I think there's something to the idea that they're sucking up space for other action flicks, but my favorite action flicks are stupid messes that are primarily funny
mites

Postby mites » Wed May 16, 2018 12:22 am

big zorb wrote:
mites wrote:I feel like board consensus has moved well past these kinds of weirdo complaints in most other mediums but not movies for whatever reason

i think this is pretty true but it's also different, because even, say, if the opinion is "actually indie rock sucks and bubblegum pop is the best" you don't have xyz pop star promotions at mcdonalds and sponsoring the playoffs. the avengers are fucking inescapable, every nook and cranny that can squeeze out a penny from this shit has it. i think that is why people keep circling back to the marketing/capitalist element of this stuff, the films are one and the same, they're all part of this relentless juggernaut that has infected everywhere. there are places in pop culture where you never have to engage with carly rae or something but marvel is every single place you look. it's exhausting.

there was a time that pop music had this much clout and backing

I think that's why people hated like abba and stuff tbh but they were wrong
mites

Postby spix et chicho » Wed May 16, 2018 12:23 am

spix et chicho

Postby Daft Pun » Wed May 16, 2018 12:24 am

mites wrote:
I think that's why people hated disco tbh but they were wrong

FTFY
AIR
Daft Pun
i'm ill not sicc

Postby internetfriend » Wed May 16, 2018 12:24 am

mites wrote:are you doing this again?

I wasn't talking to you

okay! testy!
internetfriend
pubg survivalist

Postby big zorb » Wed May 16, 2018 12:24 am

i mean

EXCLUSIVE: With partners such as Coca-Cola, Quicken Loans, and Infiniti, Avengers: Infinity War is receiving the biggest promo push ever for a Marvel title, with a media value estimated north of $150M.

Seven different partners will serve up TV spots inspired by or featuring the film’s characters and themes.

Some of these partners are new to the family and some have been friends of the studio for years,” said Mindy Hamilton, Marvel’s SVP Global Partnerships & Marketing.

With the third go-round of the Avengers franchise, its regular promotional partners are doubling their support when compared with 2015’s Avengers: Age of Ultron. Beyond TV, fans will encounter interactive digital initiatives and robust in-store presences at numerous retailers.

Other brands teaming with Infinity War include Ziploc, Go-Gurt, Yoplait, Synchrony Bank, American Airlines and Stand Up to Cancer. In addition Duracell, Unilever, Quaker, Chevron and Samsung will be running promotions for Infinity War in smaller markets.

There’s a team-up with the Infiniti QX50, which also makes a cameo in the movie. The studio is touting a suspenseful commercial with a twist at the end. There’s an international creative rollout from Coca-Cola Zero Sugar that reimagines Infinity War hero themes on its packaging and provides consumers with a chance to collect 10 different designs. Ziploc has a variety of custom-designed Infinity War images on its storage bag boxes, ditto for Go-Gurt and Yoplait cups, with a chance for fans to redeem movie tickets. Synchrony Bank’s long-running “Save Like a Hero” campaign plays up the film’s “fandemonium.”

Stand Up to Cancer, together with American Airlines, also is launching a national campaign with a PSA starring Scarlett Johansson and Chris Hemsworth making a powerful call-to-action.

Also, OnePlus smartphones in the UK are coming out with their own Infinity War edition, which includes a Qualcomm Snapdragon 845 SoC, 8 GB of RAM and 256 GB of internal storage. It’s a banner phone storage-wise for the OnePlus line.

this is lunacy, there's virtually nowhere you can turn to escape avengers. just using my quicken loans, who have for some absurd reason partnered with marvel!
big zorb
smiling drinker

Postby mites » Wed May 16, 2018 12:25 am

if we had a better tax structure we wouldn't throw such much excess money to marketing departments and then everyone would love Marvel just like me. That's why I'm voting Bernie 2020.
mites

Postby vivian darko » Wed May 16, 2018 12:25 am

big zorb wrote:

they've also been inescapable for so long now--and plan to be so for as long as possible--that if you don't like them you feel a weight crushing down on your soul

this is a universal experience i speak for all of us
vivian darko

Postby mites » Wed May 16, 2018 12:26 am

Daft Pun wrote:
mites wrote:
I think that's why people hated disco tbh but they were wrong

FTFY

I didn't use disco because a lot of it wasn't popular and the dislike of it was due to it being PoC and gay friendly. Picked abba cause they're white, cis-het and now almost entirely beloved
mites

Postby internetfriend » Wed May 16, 2018 12:26 am

i don’t know enough about the economics of how movies are made to know if they’re choking other movies out, but i do think their predominance in pop culture is having an effect on audience relationships to film and public expectations of media that is serving to culturally lessen or distort the effects of other movies
internetfriend
pubg survivalist

Postby mites » Wed May 16, 2018 12:26 am

vivian darko wrote:
big zorb wrote:

they've also been inescapable for so long now--and plan to be so for as long as possible--that if you don't like them you feel a weight crushing down on your soul

this is a universal experience i speak for all of us

1) you don't have a soul
mites

Postby mites » Wed May 16, 2018 12:28 am

internetfriend wrote:i don’t know enough about the economics of how movies are made to know if they’re choking other movies out, but i do think their predominance in pop culture is having an effect on audience relationships to film and public expectations of media that is serving to culturally lessen or distort the effects of other movies

what relationship to film do you think audiences had and now have due to superhero films?
mites

Postby surly » Wed May 16, 2018 12:29 am

spix et chicho wrote:even beyond that it’s just like, wishful thinking, and more nostalgia. always trying to return to something that never existed. always denying reality

to expand on this, the only reason people think of how Movies Used to Be Better is because everything you've seen from before you were born has been curated for you. since the post-war period, there's always been a roughly equivalent wheat/chaff ratio in the movie theater, but most of the forgettable shit they just never bothered to put on VHS
lordofdiapers wrote:damn it Greedo will forever fuck that word for me
surly
the insult bastard

Postby surly » Wed May 16, 2018 12:30 am

oh god why did i post in this awful thread
lordofdiapers wrote:damn it Greedo will forever fuck that word for me
surly
the insult bastard

Postby big zorb » Wed May 16, 2018 12:30 am

surly wrote:
spix et chicho wrote:even beyond that it’s just like, wishful thinking, and more nostalgia. always trying to return to something that never existed. always denying reality

to expand on this, the only reason people think of how Movies Used to Be Better is because everything you've seen from before you were born has been curated for you. since the post-war period, there's always been a roughly equivalent wheat/chaff ratio in the movie theater, but most of the forgettable shit they just never bothered to put on VHS

yeah i mean that's evident in how people are all "music was better in the 60s!" as though they heard anything other than the big ol bands
big zorb
smiling drinker

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....