Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby Grumby » Wed May 16, 2018 8:44 am

dope band all around. amazing sonics, cool voices. gene clark was a hero.

i love the notorious byrd brothers the most
Grumby

Postby Grumby » Wed May 16, 2018 8:48 am

they were also one of the first hippie bands to get really into synths. i remember a spacey roger mcguinn interview where he was talking about taking apart electronics and stuff at his horse ranch (?) or something which was awesome.
Grumby

Postby bluelips » Wed May 16, 2018 8:50 am

love the story about them listening to coltrane and ravi shankar through a guitar amp in their van for an entire tour
bluelips

Postby Sobieski » Wed May 16, 2018 8:59 am

smoke less weed
get more sleep
always tip %20
Sobieski
Comptroller

Postby Mr Spaceship » Wed May 16, 2018 11:29 am

Mr Spaceship

Postby lockheed » Wed May 16, 2018 1:21 pm

Last edited by lockheed on Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nice day if it doesn't rain.
lockheed
big chief asshole

Postby Smiling Penner-Lite » Wed May 16, 2018 1:41 pm

cover of My Back Pages is an all-timer for me.
Smiling Penner-Lite

Postby opi » Wed May 16, 2018 4:31 pm

marathoned everything from mr tambourine man to sweetheart today & what struck me the most is while yeah the jangly first couple records are great as far as nonanglophilic '60s pop goes, & i definitely liked them a lot when i first listened to them in full in late 2015, i honestly don't think they got great until younger than yesterday, like there was just an intensification of creative concern floating in the air in '67 that made everything that came before within that idiom the previous couple years seem so, i dunno, irrelevant almost

i definitely look at sweetheart as its own thing & it's hard to fit it into the schematic of their discography & accordingly i'll always think notorious byrd brothers is their best record that kind of fits into that sweet spot of twisted garage & psychedelic cowboy music, it took me awhile to even hear it but once i did it kind of blew my mind how great of a songwriter chris hillman is, totally underrepresented in the discussion of major players in this scene (clark, parsons, crosby, et al). i mean honestly i know mcguinn was the avatar for this band for its entire duration but he wrote the least interesting songs, maybe precisely because of that assured status as the frontman, had less to prove, et al

that being said there's just no fucking touching gene clark, even the dillard & clark records are just as good as anything from the same period in the byrds' output, but white light -> roadmaster -> no other is a better sum total than all of the byrds' '60s output or the collected works of gram parsons imho, i mean i say that as someone who adores all of this music but clark was just on a completely different planet conceptually, structurally, & lyrically. no other is the cosmic american music album gram parsons always wanted to make but died too soon for
opi
medicine bottle

Postby goldmatt » Wed May 16, 2018 4:44 pm

IM GONNA CATCH THAT HORSE IF I CAN

goldmatt

Postby Grumby » Wed May 16, 2018 4:49 pm

if i were to ascribe a personality to each roger mcguinn was the technical-sonic tinkerer guy, gene clark the songwriter, chris hillman and crosby the backbone. like the way their voices sound together the way they do is because david crosby was so into harmony.

even if he didn't write the best songs for the band and was considered kind of a rabblerouser i still think he contributed a lot
Grumby

Postby Grumby » Wed May 16, 2018 4:50 pm

obviously he went on to write better shit for his subsequent famous as fuck bands
Grumby

Postby opi » Wed May 16, 2018 4:57 pm

honestly i think if only i could remember my name is my favourite thing he did out of solo + csny et al
opi
medicine bottle

Postby opi » Wed May 16, 2018 4:58 pm

everybody's been burned is low key the best song on the a-side of younger than yesterday, that fuzz guitar line that closes it out is a+++
opi
medicine bottle

Postby opi » Wed May 16, 2018 5:01 pm

listening to gilded palace now & fuck this is a perfect record, i mean barring hippie boy but who cares about that one tarnishing anything

hard to argue clark vs parsons the more i think about it, i mean the both of them have some of my very favourite voices in all of 20th century popular music
opi
medicine bottle

Postby Jake SPEED » Wed May 16, 2018 5:27 pm

I ride and die for Parsons. Just the most amazing voice imaginable and great lyricist. He has some lines in his catalogue that are so poignant and timeless and the delivery just takes everything over the top.

“Time can pass and time can heal, but it don’t ever pass the way I feel.”
Jake SPEED

Postby terminus » Wed May 16, 2018 5:33 pm

opi wrote:marathoned everything from mr tambourine man to sweetheart today & what struck me the most is while yeah the jangly first couple records are great as far as nonanglophilic '60s pop goes, & i definitely liked them a lot when i first listened to them in full in late 2015, i honestly don't think they got great until younger than yesterday, like there was just an intensification of creative concern floating in the air in '67 that made everything that came before within that idiom the previous couple years seem so, i dunno, irrelevant almost

i definitely look at sweetheart as its own thing & it's hard to fit it into the schematic of their discography & accordingly i'll always think notorious byrd brothers is their best record that kind of fits into that sweet spot of twisted garage & psychedelic cowboy music, it took me awhile to even hear it but once i did it kind of blew my mind how great of a songwriter chris hillman is, totally underrepresented in the discussion of major players in this scene (clark, parsons, crosby, et al). i mean honestly i know mcguinn was the avatar for this band for its entire duration but he wrote the least interesting songs, maybe precisely because of that assured status as the frontman, had less to prove, et al

that being said there's just no fucking touching gene clark, even the dillard & clark records are just as good as anything from the same period in the byrds' output, but white light -> roadmaster -> no other is a better sum total than all of the byrds' '60s output or the collected works of gram parsons imho, i mean i say that as someone who adores all of this music but clark was just on a completely different planet conceptually, structurally, & lyrically. no other is the cosmic american music album gram parsons always wanted to make but died too soon for

great post
terminus

Postby Sobieski » Wed May 16, 2018 5:48 pm

opi wrote:, i mean barring hippie boy

:lol:
smoke less weed
get more sleep
always tip %20
Sobieski
Comptroller

Postby Sobieski » Wed May 16, 2018 5:51 pm

smoke less weed
get more sleep
always tip %20
Sobieski
Comptroller

Postby Grumby » Wed May 16, 2018 6:56 pm

this band has so much mythos, it's funny there's not some huge biopic taking the best stories from every part of their career. just reading about every members personal history was so interesting a few years ago. like david crosbys brother becoming this devout nature-lover recluse and then he got eaten by bears in the cabin he lived in, or gene clark growing up on a farm raising chickens.
Grumby

Postby Classic Dog Avatar » Wed May 16, 2018 7:34 pm

Didn't they all get killed by booze?
Classic Dog Avatar
ride.

Postby Grumby » Wed May 16, 2018 7:44 pm

. wrote:Didn't they all get killed by booze?

gene clark i think was boozing pretty hard. they reformed as a non-authentic touring band in the mid eighties with michael clarke (the byrds drummer). here is a mid eighties college rock fan interviewing that incarnation. gene seems so cool, though.

Grumby

Postby Grumby » Wed May 16, 2018 7:51 pm

that interview is kinda interesting to me because obviously there's like r.e.m and the dream syndicate and shit and the byrds were def. getting praised a lot everywhere in those times and way afterwards (now too) with alt/indie music.
Grumby

Postby opi » Wed May 16, 2018 8:01 pm

michael clarke also died of alcohol-related illness too, pretty young too i think
opi
medicine bottle

Postby opi » Wed May 16, 2018 8:05 pm

Grumby wrote:this band has so much mythos, it's funny there's not some huge biopic taking the best stories from every part of their career. just reading about every members personal history was so interesting a few years ago. like david crosbys brother becoming this devout nature-lover recluse and then he got eaten by bears in the cabin he lived in, or gene clark growing up on a farm raising chickens.

the byrd who flew alone, the gene clark doc, is as close as we'll get & is excellent imo, i can up it to the dropbox or something if you're interested (& if the db is still around lol)

i watched the gram parsons doc like 3 years ago & it was very lackluster plus hillman, whom i've come around to since then, comes across as very smarmy/unempathetic
opi
medicine bottle

Postby zamboni » Wed May 16, 2018 8:11 pm

plz do up that clark doc thx
zamboni

Postby building jumper » Wed May 16, 2018 9:22 pm

zamboni wrote:plz do up that clark doc thx
building jumper

Postby incoherent grunting » Wed May 16, 2018 9:25 pm

building jumper wrote:
"let's get psychic not blacked out. Let's get wild without getting sick. Let's get turnt while staying woke."
incoherent grunting

Postby ripersnifle » Wed May 16, 2018 11:36 pm

incoherent grunting wrote:
building jumper wrote:
steakspoon wrote:sorry if sounds corny fellas but i'll always remember where i was when i heard my first big star song..the internet.
Totally wrote:also to the really creepily obsessed kid frothing NON-US SPORTS GEAR IS A COMPLEXITY-SIGNALING DEVICE FOR AGEING HIPSTER ACOLYTES WHO DOWNLOAD MOANA: I have a lot of friends (and an apartment) in Geelong. Get a fuckin life man.
ripersnifle

Postby ripersnifle » Wed May 16, 2018 11:38 pm

No Other blew my mind when i discovered it.

also recently got way into Two Sides..., which has this absolute gem that i will post every opportunity that i get:
steakspoon wrote:sorry if sounds corny fellas but i'll always remember where i was when i heard my first big star song..the internet.
Totally wrote:also to the really creepily obsessed kid frothing NON-US SPORTS GEAR IS A COMPLEXITY-SIGNALING DEVICE FOR AGEING HIPSTER ACOLYTES WHO DOWNLOAD MOANA: I have a lot of friends (and an apartment) in Geelong. Get a fuckin life man.
ripersnifle

Postby opi » Thu May 17, 2018 7:53 pm

ripersnifle wrote:
incoherent grunting wrote:
building jumper wrote:

!!!

sorry, just now noticed/remembered this

it's in the dropbox under movies\documentaries
opi
medicine bottle

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....