Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby Kenny » Thu May 17, 2018 10:58 am

RIP Oink's Pink Palace

I don't think I ever loved the mystique and aesthetics of a webpage more. Just because it felt like a secret club and I was new to torrenting in general
Image REAL NAME NO GIMMICKS ImageImage
Never forget, other opinions are available
Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby hamilton » Thu May 17, 2018 11:02 am

Logging into Oink one day and seeing a disclaimer that it had been seized by homeland security or some shit certainly was something. What a site. Haven't messed around with anything that came after.
hamilton

Postby terminus » Thu May 17, 2018 11:03 am

found my oink "proof" screenshot on an old external the other day

ofc i was on the page for the cLOUDDEAD s/t

terminus

Postby becky » Thu May 17, 2018 11:16 am

I attended college from 2007-2011 so yues, 100%, absolutely, music died the moment I graduated
becky

Postby Sobieski » Thu May 17, 2018 11:39 am

2014 was when things really started going pear shaped I think
smoke less weed
get more sleep
always tip %20
Sobieski
Comptroller

Postby Sobieski » Thu May 17, 2018 11:40 am

damn remember occupy Wall Street?

a golden time for crusty stuff
smoke less weed
get more sleep
always tip %20
Sobieski
Comptroller

Postby howiep » Thu May 17, 2018 12:05 pm

Oink and what.cd were probably the greatest collections of recorded music ever assembled right? I mean, it was truly impressive. Now, all gone. I use Spotify but it sucks how much non-Western music is on there.
howiep

Postby howiep » Thu May 17, 2018 12:05 pm

Kenny wrote:When did Altered Zones start

used to love altered zones
howiep

Postby cool party » Thu May 17, 2018 12:14 pm

definitely agree to some degree. i think it's naive to say that things in those years were some democratic paradise, but at that point the diffusion of distribution mechanisms allowed independent artists to gain attention, while at the same time capital had not yet fully realized the profit-making potential of co-opting those mechanisms. it was just a nice point in the historical dialectic between the wild west of blogspots/mediafire/myspace/pitchfork "making" bands and the world we have now where basically every new musician has to have streaming to be "relevant." in that time you could be a "nobody" and still get play on a blog and get listeners if you appealed to their audiences. nowadays you're most likely not going to do that unless you/your label pays some PR company 4 figures.

but i think it's more than just spotify/streaming -- it's all of the various attendant industries associated with the music industry (management, labels, PR, publications) becoming these entrenched, ossified, gatekeeper entities making it so that so much of independent music now is this game where it's a hobby for connected wealthy people who pay for a million youtube views/soundcloud listens even though in reality they are still playing to half-full 100 cap. venues, and where the measure of/gateway to success is getting on spotify playlists. the process now is just a simulacra of the 2007-2011 process whereby the "path" of achieving success is just fabricated and imitated to make an artist's path to success seem "organic" (see all of the major indie label artists playing DIY venues in NYC from 2011-2013/2014).

maybe i'm also biased because in those years the NYC DIY scene similarly felt so much richer and more unpredictable, and a lot of the venues here hadn't been shut down yet. but i think there is some truth to this.
cool party

Postby Messenger » Thu May 17, 2018 12:22 pm

I definitely feel like there was cool stuff happening in the late 2000s and that it all started to decline sometime around 2012-ish. In particular, I enjoyed all the random MP3 blogs, and just seeing how they each tried to cultivate their own aesthetic. I don't feel like anything has replicated that ever since the streaming era, although I probably just haven't been paying attention.

But I don't trust my own feelings on any of this, because that whole timeline syncs up all too perfectly with having fun in college (and the some of those immediate post-college years) and then eventually turning 30 and getting a boring grown up job and having limited free time and all that. I don't have the objectivity to accurately assess whether that era was actually worth a shit, or if I just miss being young.
Messenger

Postby hoopdog » Thu May 17, 2018 12:29 pm

I think about this often and I pretty much fully agree. The conversation around music was just different then- it felt legitimately exciting if you were involved in it at all

I'd extend this window to 2012 but things were definitely already changing by then
hoopdog
ride.

Postby howiep » Thu May 17, 2018 12:45 pm

I feel like the only similar things I browse now that are akin to the music blogs on the early 2000s are blogs that focus almost solely on "world" music or digging up old reissue type material. Music that has been lost because it's not relevant enough for the streaming generation I guess. I find myself listening to more music that exists in that world than staying on top of new releases and new up and coming bands. Everything associated with band PR has me feeling so disillusioned about music as art. Everything feels so manufactured and perfect and branded, it sucks.
howiep

Postby an otter » Thu May 17, 2018 1:45 pm

howiep wrote:Oink and what.cd were probably the greatest collections of recorded music ever assembled right? I mean, it was truly impressive. Now, all gone. I use Spotify but it sucks how much non-Western music is on there.

Apollo's successfully picked up that torch, my dude. Same as it ever was.
ˁᵔᵜᵔˀ
an otter

Postby Sobieski » Thu May 17, 2018 1:53 pm

Same as it ever was
smoke less weed
get more sleep
always tip %20
Sobieski
Comptroller

Postby Sobieski » Thu May 17, 2018 1:54 pm

Same as it ever was
smoke less weed
get more sleep
always tip %20
Sobieski
Comptroller

Postby Sobieski » Thu May 17, 2018 1:54 pm

Same as it ever was
smoke less weed
get more sleep
always tip %20
Sobieski
Comptroller

Postby Tar Pit » Thu May 17, 2018 4:28 pm

Yeah, this was prime blogspot era. There was something exciting about researching music via blogs and finding something that truly shifted your taste and expectations. You could download anything you wanted on a whim. Cool album cover? Give it a shot. Interesting description? Try it out.The only limitation was the size of your hard drive. It actually felt like I was exploring music.

I think the big mediafire/rapidshare crackdown happened soon after that and the whole scene just died. Downloading albums doesn't really feel the same anymore, but maybe that's because I've gotten older.
Tar Pit

Postby grace cathedral park » Thu May 17, 2018 5:20 pm

i've actually thought a lot about this.

i would probably say that it started in 2008 and things ended sometime in between when the visions album cycle wrapped up and when the beyonce self-titled leaked. i think my big fear with the success from grimes, insofar as a critical standpoint, was that the work she was putting in trying to re-canonize pop/pop stars was going to be utilized as a way for publications (specifically pitchfork) to shift focus from independent artists and "buzzbands" to pop stars, which i think could definitely be considered the case now.

i think this tweet kinda gets at that shift in tone wrt poptimism and greater music coverage. i don't think 285 kent was actually anything important or even influential in creating a DIY Community, but i also think its closing kind of signified a moment where pitchfork just completely stopped even trying to give a shit about diy/alternative/left field music on a whole

then i think in terms of music distribution, tumblr was a really cohesive medium for creating a foundation of what your music was meant to represent, and then being able to release your work to an audience that identified with that aesthetic. cloud rap/seapunk/lo-fi, those genres felt so fleshed out because you could basically focus group your own image and sound as you worked on it. there's not really anything like that at this point. like the most obvious thing would be instagram, but there's not really a component in there that really fosters a music community.

i guess it's also worth noting that the recession kind of faded away, and i think with it that feeling of unemployable artistic liberation did as well. i think for people in their early twenties, even by 2013, there was less of this idea that your NEETness was somehow a token of solidarity and more of a personal burden.
Never knowingly eaten an ass.
grace cathedral park
The Rooster

Postby RIXX » Thu May 17, 2018 5:23 pm

i loved OiNK too. when it died, what.cd and waffles.fm sprung up as potential successors to the throne. i wrongly backed waffles.fm and I regret it to this day
RIXX

Postby cool party » Thu May 17, 2018 8:29 pm

grace cathedral park wrote:i've actually thought a lot about this.

this is a great post. i think the "indie music press" completely uncritically embracing top 40 and chiding anyone who dared to raise "traditional DIY concerns" of corporate influence in music as being curmudgeonly and out of touch definitely played a role as well

as far as 285 kent (which started i think in early 2011) goes, at least on the "indie rock" side of things, the vast majority of artists that played there were already on a major indie label with all of the attendant support that comes with that. some great artists definitely played there, but the "scene" associated with it was already largely a weak and contrived imitation of something that existed in a much more organic way in nyc in the aughts. 285 kind of signaled the "beginning of the end" for me--people going to shows more to have a social media record of them being there than to actually hear music. 285 was actually where/when i first started noticing the phenomenon this thread is talking about of those creative internet cultures coming to an end and being co-opted by broader interests.
cool party

Postby trouble » Thu May 17, 2018 8:42 pm

trouble
ride.

Postby Jeremy » Thu May 17, 2018 8:47 pm

On the other hand it was a lot harder to find chill beats to relax/study to back then.
Jeremy

Postby waldojeffers1 » Thu May 17, 2018 8:52 pm

these days I mostly buy music but I also consume a lot less stuff that's new

mostly I buy new albums by artists I already know or of stuff I learn about at music festivals that I attend because of artists I already know

I don't really care about new music

hope this helps
oh no someone save us
waldojeffers1

Postby terrific bedwetter » Thu May 17, 2018 8:56 pm

everything online is another eternal september

lets all move to a lake and play music powered by triple a batteries
terrific bedwetter

Postby waldojeffers1 » Thu May 17, 2018 8:56 pm

I just wanna be a normal guy now but who goes to like two festivals a year
oh no someone save us
waldojeffers1

Postby terrific bedwetter » Thu May 17, 2018 8:57 pm

Sobieski wrote:damn remember occupy Wall Street?

a golden time for crusty stuff

i had my first good crisis around the time that was spinning up and was really hoping it would take off and solve my problems
terrific bedwetter

Postby warmhouse » Thu May 17, 2018 9:16 pm

the golden age of blogs is over. i miss it.

zamboni soundtracks was my favourite -- then i come here and HE POSTS HERE. weird.
warmhouse

Postby Sobieski » Fri May 18, 2018 8:14 am

Part of the reason 2010 looks so good too is because 2018 is so like dire
smoke less weed
get more sleep
always tip %20
Sobieski
Comptroller

Postby Kwisatz Haderach » Fri May 18, 2018 8:46 am

Must have been after Obama released his playlist.
Kwisatz Haderach

Postby Grumby » Fri May 18, 2018 9:05 am

turntable.fm was a pretty cool lil moment. i remember frequenting this room and Vektroid was a regular member there, she played the demos for floral shoppe all the time before it had came out. funny to think about how that blossomed into all of these vaporwave facebook memes and shit.
Grumby

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....