Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby aububs » Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:23 am

saranclaps wrote:This was real good except for maybe the last five minutes—the non-linear flashbacks of the final song felt out of place (the songwriting scene could've worked earlier in the movie) and almost sorta cheesy (there was no such montages before), and the song shouldn't dropped all the instruments after 20-30 seconds of singing and just isolated Ally and her voice to hammer to potency and sorrow.

lol
no buddy not really
aububs

Postby goofjan » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:48 am

I don't know what to think of this. It was good, I guess. The music was phenomenal. Gaga was great. I appreciate Bradley Cooper's dedication to this whole thing but I couldn't take his performance seriously. Pacing-wise I thought it moved too fast when it should have been going more slowly and too slowly when it should have been fast. I don't know- I don't think I know how to watch movies anymore.

I guess my biggest problem with this is that I wish it had sort of had more to say about the current climate of pop music and fame in general. It seems like every other version of this is inextricably bound to its respective era. Aside from the SNL performance/"Ass Like That" song there wasn't really anything that made it feel of the moment. That's not the movie's fault and totally all about my own expectations, I get it. It's fine. I enjoyed watching it but I'm gonna forget about it pretty soon.

Also I lost my shit when Eddie GriffinToggle Spoiler popped up.
plz if u get a chanse put some flowrs on algernons grave kthxbye
goofjan

Postby RIXX » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:36 am

"Always Remember Us This Way" is the best song for sure
RIXX

Postby RIXX » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:37 am

i feel like gaga does stuff with her voice in that song that i haven't heard her do anytime else
RIXX

Postby southpaw » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:49 am

I thought Coop sucked before this, and obviously it's not perfect but goddamn I unabashedly loved this movie to the point where I was beside myself

Blubbered like a baby nearly the whole time
southpaw

Postby Alexis » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:59 am

saw this again last night because a friend had not see it yet and i cried like a baby
the theater was also sold completely out at 4:00pm on a sunday
Alexis

Postby hey nathan » Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:43 pm

I love when he asks her how she hears the song shes writing in the notepad and she looks at him unblinkingly and pops her neck to the beat and goes Dot dot dot dot dot dada dah
hey nathan

Postby Franco » Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:12 pm

Bought
Franco

Postby mellowgold » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:11 pm

wimbledon, strawberries, bubbles, please protect me. happy midsumma, hope you spend it in your heart, everyone is there. bitch.
mellowgold
congrats on making 10,000 gay posts bb

Postby scrambled » Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:42 am

omg finally saw it. fantastic.

felt like a real throwback, in a great way. a blockbuster without any cgi
scrambled

Postby scrambled » Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:04 am

mellowgold wrote:i was smiling sooo hard when shangela and willam were on camera

incredible experience. also just the way drag was portrayed i found so heartening and cool. // lol i totally swore Anthony Ramos was gay too - sad.

i think my initial opinion that seems to differ from the takes is that I really truly did not care for the whole Sam Elliott of it all. also was Chapelle necessary. Halsey tho? extremely necessary. i cackled. wonder how that was finagled.

I came across this youtube channel that has some pretty cool 10 min videos explaining why a certain actress won best actress (including explaining a lot of the context behind Garland's Star is Born nomination and eventual upset loss) and the Cher one made me think a lot about Gaga's arc. Would be super cool if she was nominated for this but won for another role, ala Cher.
scrambled

Postby scrambled » Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:35 am

goofjan wrote:I guess my biggest problem with this is that I wish it had sort of had more to say about the current climate of pop music and fame in general. It seems like every other version of this is inextricably bound to its respective era. Aside from the SNL performance/"Ass Like That" song there wasn't really anything that made it feel of the moment. That's not the movie's fault and totally all about my own expectations, I get it. It's fine. I enjoyed watching it but I'm gonna forget about it pretty soon.

totally. I was *DYING* for a scene to show the actual fallout in the media with the Grammy's moment. Like I kept wanting it to cut to Gaga in a tell-all interview about it, or show how it really actually accelerated her popularity/standing or they were seen as a total mess. something. imagine the podcast hot takes~*!*!*!!! like I just kept imagining the fallout in my mind.

kind of like the moment in the latest season of Bojack, in which he and his co-star have that sit-down after the assaultToggle Spoiler
scrambled

Postby scrambled » Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:39 am

I'M OFF THE DEEP END WATCH AS I DIVE IN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
scrambled

Postby Bad Craziness » Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:50 am

I liked how much the love of two brightly shining stars, spinning into each others’ orbit at crucially different phases of their life-cycles, acts a mirror for all of us, all the other pairs of stars, who may shine less brightly, but still with the same light

no matter how creative and famous and rich you are, all that matters is if you’re capable of true love for yourself and for each other

the movie is successful to the degree at which you recognize your own story of falling madly in love, all the glory and all the pain, within the story of the tired poet and the blooming muse

a potent, high-relief love story of two extra-bright stars becomes that much clearer of a mirror to catch reflections of our own dancing hearts. the images of those reflections are harder to see in subtler films about subtler people and their subtle emotions and subtle ways of loving
Bad Craziness

Postby Bad Craziness » Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:52 am

and the making of music is the closest you can get to capturing the wordless mad magic of it all

so that’s what the movie is about, and to say it should be less about that and more about The Issues of Our Times is utterly incomprehensible to me

but I’d be the first to admit that I’m an excessively sentimental person
Bad Craziness

Postby defective » Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:18 am

well put, BC.
defective

Postby pana » Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:21 am

BC is down for a Love Story remake
pana

Postby goofjan » Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:35 am

lol sorry I guess I watched the movie wrong!
plz if u get a chanse put some flowrs on algernons grave kthxbye
goofjan

Postby No Good Advice » Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:01 pm

Some tunes on this soundtrack not performed in the movie
No Good Advice

Postby No Good Advice » Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:20 pm

Not to say I unequivocally loved this movie, but there was not one second where I didn't take Bradley's performance seriously, there's a crazed energy and commitment there that no doubt made him believe he actually was Jackson Maine
No Good Advice

Postby madness and chaos » Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:03 pm

I called my mom from a detox/rehab and she was still a complete wreck still sobbing two hours after seeing this
Roberto Bolaño's chair
madness and chaos

Postby mellowgold » Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:19 pm

wimbledon, strawberries, bubbles, please protect me. happy midsumma, hope you spend it in your heart, everyone is there. bitch.
mellowgold
congrats on making 10,000 gay posts bb

Postby Franco » Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:54 pm

this is out now. be careful out there folks
Franco

Postby Franco » Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:00 pm

Franco

Postby Franco » Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:24 pm

Is This ‘A Star is Born’ Pop Song Supposed to Be Bad or Glorious?
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/19/movies/why-did-you-do-that-a-star-is-born.html

Diane, I heard “Why Did You Do That?” in a gay bar the other night. We need to discuss it.

It’s getting a life of its own! “Why’d you come around here with an ass like that?” I have to take guilty credit for that line. I remember when we were working on it, I said, “Can we say that?” And Gaga went, “Yeah, why not?”

And now I can’t stop saying it.

It’s seeping into the consciousness!
Franco

Postby scrambled » Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:39 pm

scrambled

Postby Bad Craziness » Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:25 pm

it can be a song about an ass.
Bad Craziness

Postby scrambled » Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:57 am

i luv the song about the great ass

watching gaga's netflix documentary for the first time - the opening scene is her talking about getting cast in ASIB. anyone else watch it

also there's a scene where she gets a needle to her ass ala mr jackson maine
scrambled

Postby Bad Craziness » Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:38 pm

scrambled wrote:i luv the song about the great ass

watching gaga's netflix documentary for the first time - the opening scene is her talking about getting cast in ASIB. anyone else watch it

also there's a scene where she gets a needle to her ass ala mr jackson maine

I saw this when it came out, and the casting thing didn’t register much since no one knew anything about the movie

now watching it again was :shock:
Bad Craziness

Postby bold man » Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:17 pm

is jackson maine really a country star?
in the international space station having a three-way with hillary clinton and sarah palin
bold man
ok

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....