Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby Dr. Norm Thagard » Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:32 pm

Anthony Bourdain is like if oprah was a white dude from NJ who had a food show without a live TV audience
delgriffith wrote:Yeah Norm.

OKterrific wrote:Norm yay

Cronos wrote:The world needs more Norm

Feech La Manna wrote:well here's Norm at least

night moves wrote: People like you make up false boogeyman to blame for their emotions being out of control
Dr. Norm Thagard
Every superhero need her theme music

Postby chad » Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:39 pm

sadville wrote:so in the limited exposure I had to Anthony bourdain, I wasn't all that impressed

so i'll check out parts unknown, I suppose

magnanimous
add me on habbo: ChadBraddington
chad

Postby ratbags » Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:46 pm

norm, were you as sad as all the old italian men were when the sausage and pepper table fell over and spilled sausage and meatballs everywhere in the pittsburgh episode
session to session
ratbags

Postby sadville » Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:47 pm

i wasn't trying to shit on the thread :/

i had no idea that bourdain was so highly regarded here. i shoulda said that in the previous post
a dong is
sadville

Postby Dr. Norm Thagard » Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:52 pm

ratbags wrote:norm, were you as sad as all the old italian men were when the sausage and pepper table fell over and spilled sausage and meatballs everywhere in the pittsburgh episode

Probably. My memory is broken.

night moves wrote: People like you make up false boogeyman to blame for their emotions being out of control
Dr. Norm Thagard

Postby Franco » Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:54 pm

imo if you’re looking for a blown mind or to be impressed then I don’t think you’ll grab it. Kitchen Confidential might could knock you out. But the shows are a wavelength and you’re in or out. A glimpse into much of what the world’s people have to offer brought to you by a smart and charismatic emotional human being
Franco

Postby Franco » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:01 pm

There’s good production value. But it’s just life portraits. Its only as good as the curiosity you bring to it
Franco

Postby aububs » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:21 am

Franco wrote:There’s good production value. But it’s just life portraits. Its only as good as the curiosity you bring to it

yeah i began with the rome ep last night and this is the vibe i got

i will watch more, i enjoyed it a lot, the pasolini talk, meeting w/ abel ferrara, asia argento, locals in osita, tripe, brutal italian folksong...it was ticking a lot of boxes for me

he reminds my wife very strongly of her brother-in-law who left her sister and their kids, right down to looking p much identical physically, same clothing style, and having that same charisma borne of world-weary experience...things like that can be hard to shake so i dunno if she'll watch w/ me. if any of you remember the thread this brother-in-law is the guy who told me about the frozen shit helmet and i can totally imagine bourdain knew somebody w/ a frozen shit helmet too
no buddy not really
aububs

Postby deep blue meanies » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:24 am

number none wrote:http://davidsimon.com/tony/

this is beautiful btw
deep blue meanies

Postby Reliable Tradesman » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:37 am

Just saw the recent ‘Newfoundland’ episode and that last scene from the bartending thespian where he gives a toast to his patrons, saying something like ‘drink tonight because we may never be here together again’ when Tony is sitting there with his friends. Fucking.
Reliable Tradesman

Postby milknight » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:14 am

sadville wrote:i wasn't trying to shit on the thread :/

i had no idea that bourdain was so highly regarded here. i shoulda said that in the previous post

thread is twenty pages long and he just died dude
milknight

Postby Franco » Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:31 pm

slightly off topic sorry guys, but OMG abs how dang prescient your post on Gabrielle Hamilton ended up being
Franco

Postby abs » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:21 pm

oh, hey! just read the news about her. no big surprise there.
☽ ☾ ● ◯ ● ☽ ☾

thistle in the kiss
abs
Queen Witch

Postby Ferrous Bueller » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:32 pm

fresh salad wrote:Is that a pig shooting fire in your AV?
Looks delicious
* @Ferrous Bueller

it's from the best book ever:

Ferrous Bueller

Postby Fullscreen » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:04 pm

Franco wrote:Talk it out, fullscreen

it's funny that goofing on craft beer culture was one of his tics, and that he had no interest in discussing wine, because if there's any one thing i learned or internalized from him it was a desire for the context, history, and process behind what i eat and especially what i drink. even if it's not something he espoused himself, i can't imagine not seeking out new weird booze or pet-nat wines, or doing so without finding out who made it, what grapes were used and how were they grown and harvested and what it were they aged in and why. not to fetishize the raw data or anything, but just because i want to understand what i'm drinking - if anything, i want the vocabulary to articulate what it was i just drank, and to find more cool booze in the same vein.

it provides a human connection, too - none of this stuff exists in a vacuum. wine, booze and beer aren't homogenous, monolithic things from the ether. the human through-line of his shows is one of the subconcious reasons i want to talk to the little old lady vintner from sicily at the mostly-industry wine tasting about the light and climate and soil in her part of mount etna. you can taste the things she's talking about and it makes the stuff that much more real and immediate.

at the same time, i completely understand bourdain's more utilitarian, Cheap Beer Summer approach to drink as a necessary condiment, because sometimes you're in thailand and it's a million fucking degrees and you just wanna crack open a Tiger or whatever.
Last edited by Fullscreen on Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
doomedhuh wrote:only love can break your heart
Fullscreen

Postby ratbags » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:11 pm

Nice post
session to session
ratbags

Postby folkface » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:18 pm

This poem seem quite appropriate re: Bourdain & Kate Spade.

Code: Select all
Whenever Richard Cory went down town,
We people on the pavement looked at him:
He was a gentleman from sole to crown,
Clean favored, and imperially slim.

And he was always quietly arrayed,
And he was always human when he talked;
But still he fluttered pulses when he said,
"Good-morning," and he glittered when he walked.

And he was rich—yes, richer than a king—
And admirably schooled in every grace:
In fine, we thought that he was everything
To make us wish that we were in his place.

So on we worked, and waited for the light,
And went without the meat, and cursed the bread;
And Richard Cory, one calm summer night,
Went home and put a bullet through his head.
folkface

Postby pana » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:29 pm

here he is in 2010 Lebanon talking about his preference for non-aged wine
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s18CraTAb1A&t=55s
pana

Postby Nucky » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:45 pm

post to make thread easy to find. have learned a lot about the guy through this thread and sadly its taken his death for me to recognize the man, but his content is great and he seemed to embody qualities that if everyone had, the world would truly be a better place.
Nucky

Postby Franco » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:21 pm

Fullscreen wrote:
Franco wrote:Talk it out, fullscreen

it's funny that goofing on craft beer culture was one of his tics, and that he had no interest in discussing wine, because if there's any one thing i learned or internalized from him it was a desire for the context, history, and process behind what i eat and especially what i drink. even if it's not something he espoused himself, i can't imagine not seeking out new weird booze or pet-nat wines, or doing so without finding out who made it, what grapes were used and how were they grown and harvested and what it were they aged in and why. not to fetishize the raw data or anything, but just because i want to understand what i'm drinking - if anything, i want the vocabulary to articulate what it was i just drank, and to find more cool booze in the same vein.

it provides a human connection, too - none of this stuff exists in a vacuum. wine, booze and beer aren't homogenous, monolithic things from the ether. the human through-line of his shows is one of the subconcious reasons i want to talk to the little old lady vintner from sicily at the mostly-industry wine tasting about the light and climate and soil in her part of mount etna. you can taste the things she's talking about and it makes the stuff that much more real and immediate.

at the same time, i completely understand bourdain's more utilitarian, Cheap Beer Summer approach to drink as a necessary condiment, because sometimes you're in thailand and it's a million fucking degrees and you just wanna crack open a Tiger or whatever.

I agree with all of that completely. My quick stab at an answer is just the abundant bias among **CHEFS** against beer, wine, and pastry.

But setting that aside and zooming out, I still find something of an impenetrable core in what Bourdain's boiled-down philosophy actually was in this regard--it strikes me generally as 'seamless global citizen--' one who respects and knows enough about the world, its people, and its food/drink to show up anywhere act the right way and enjoy the right things. The truth is, this takes an enormous amount of time and research etc. Which is also the fun part like you said and leads to a heightened connection with the place or the dish. So the time in which these folks are at the bar enjoying and minutely discussing their flight of beers, he had (theoretically) already done that prep ahead of time. Bc at the end of the day there really is no difference between a craft beer in Colorado or a sole meunière.

I think about this a lot when I travel. I just went to Greece for a week and I knew nothing about it ahead of time. I'm the type of traveler that 6 months before a trip I'll immerse myself in research--google map street view, restaurant lists, history, itinerary-- and then have that in a doc but barely think of it again and just go. So it feels planned and familiar but also loose. For me, a week in Greece costs a noticeable amount of money and I probably will not go back soon so I want to make the best of it. The other part of me wants to show up, emotionally merge with traffic, and fucking figure it out, talking to my own people and having my own experience.

In my head you and I are circling the same point from different directions, which lies somewhere in the middle of Enjoyment, Knowledge, Authenticity, and Human Connection. And this is my confession that I'm def the guy talking about my chablis or IPA or bun cha or whatever. Just not obsessively. Hopefully.
Franco

Postby Fullscreen » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:48 pm

pana wrote:here he is in 2010 Lebanon talking about his preference for non-aged wine
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s18CraTAb1A&t=55s

god that's just lovely.
doomedhuh wrote:only love can break your heart
Fullscreen

Postby hey nathan » Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:17 am

Sichuan, magical
hey nathan

Postby Franco » Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:21 am

Made it to season 1 Quebec last night. The Joe Beef guys are fun as hell and the amount of rich classic french food and organs and blood saucesToggle Spoiler was completely over the top. Just watching this episode could be used as a meal replacement. And there was one moment at the end when Bourdain ate the maple snow candy wrong and got scolded and he looked embarrassed afterwards and that was sad.
Franco

Postby Franco » Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:28 pm

I'd like to recommend the latest episode of the new David Chang podcast. But with a warning that it is a very raw and open 25-min monologue of his own personal struggles with depression stated through the prism of the Bourdain news. I truly do think that a more boundless dialogue is important on these issues but I also know it remains sensitive for those of us 'in the weeds.' <3

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/dave-chang-on-mental-health-holding-on-to-hope-dave/id1375877915?i=1000413761514&mt=2
Franco

Postby Dr. Norm Thagard » Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:30 pm

Franco wrote:I'd like to recommend the latest episode of the new David Chang podcast. But with a warning that it is a very raw and open 25-min monologue of his own personal struggles with depression stated through the prism of the Bourdain news. I truly do think that a more boundless dialogue is important on these issues but I also know it remains sensitive for those of us 'in the weeds.' <3

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/dave-chang-on-mental-health-holding-on-to-hope-dave/id1375877915?i=1000413761514&mt=2

David Chang tweeted the lyrics to I see a darkness, and I've been singing it for a couple days

It's one of the songs that changed my life when I heard it and I bought that album for everybody

Dr. Norm Thagard

Postby ratbags » Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:46 pm

session to session
ratbags

Postby :? :? » Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:50 pm

can't believe poopler posted today and didn't bother with an obit
:? :?
ride.

Postby kid8 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:51 am

i don't understand.
Our pets' heads are falling off.
kid8
killer

Postby smartphone » Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:05 am

maybe i’m just dating myself but i always really loved no reservations and parts unknown never really quite clicked for me. anywhere online i can stream eps of NR?
separator wrote:Yeah man I had breakfast at Hitler's Diner this morning...feel bad but the eggs are so good
smartphone

Postby funkfunkfunk » Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:02 am

Franco wrote:I'd like to recommend the latest episode of the new David Chang podcast. But with a warning that it is a very raw and open 25-min monologue of his own personal struggles with depression stated through the prism of the Bourdain news. I truly do think that a more boundless dialogue is important on these issues but I also know it remains sensitive for those of us 'in the weeds.' <3

I was a tremendous fan of Chang's before I worked for him. He is unfortunately part of the rage-oholic, perpetuating cycles of abuse kind of chef, so I have zero patience to hear him speak on depression and mental illness given the sheer volume and intensity of the complexes he has inflicted on people I was/am close with.
jockesh or jakesh in farsi means pimp and unlike american in farsi pimp is a big insult and commonly applied to scoundrels and bad people like bush jr and i dont know of a word for actual jocks i dont think its a thing in iran but also anyway i wanted to say i believe in nothing
funkfunkfunk

PreviousNext

Return to Don't. Let. Go. You’ve got the music in you.