Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby Franco » Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:31 pm

slightly off topic sorry guys, but OMG abs how dang prescient your post on Gabrielle Hamilton ended up being
Franco

Postby abs » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:21 pm

oh, hey! just read the news about her. no big surprise there.
☽ ☾ ● ◯ ● ☽ ☾
abs
Queen Witch

Postby Ferrous Bueller » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:32 pm

fresh salad wrote:Is that a pig shooting fire in your AV?
Looks delicious
* @Ferrous Bueller

it's from the best book ever:

Ferrous Bueller

Postby Fullscreen » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:04 pm

Franco wrote:Talk it out, fullscreen

it's funny that goofing on craft beer culture was one of his tics, and that he had no interest in discussing wine, because if there's any one thing i learned or internalized from him it was a desire for the context, history, and process behind what i eat and especially what i drink. even if it's not something he espoused himself, i can't imagine not seeking out new weird booze or pet-nat wines, or doing so without finding out who made it, what grapes were used and how were they grown and harvested and what it were they aged in and why. not to fetishize the raw data or anything, but just because i want to understand what i'm drinking - if anything, i want the vocabulary to articulate what it was i just drank, and to find more cool booze in the same vein.

it provides a human connection, too - none of this stuff exists in a vacuum. wine, booze and beer aren't homogenous, monolithic things from the ether. the human through-line of his shows is one of the subconcious reasons i want to talk to the little old lady vintner from sicily at the mostly-industry wine tasting about the light and climate and soil in her part of mount etna. you can taste the things she's talking about and it makes the stuff that much more real and immediate.

at the same time, i completely understand bourdain's more utilitarian, Cheap Beer Summer approach to drink as a necessary condiment, because sometimes you're in thailand and it's a million fucking degrees and you just wanna crack open a Tiger or whatever.
Last edited by Fullscreen on Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
doomedhuh wrote:only love can break your heart
Fullscreen

Postby ratbags » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:11 pm

Nice post
session to session
ratbags

Postby folkface » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:18 pm

This poem seem quite appropriate re: Bourdain & Kate Spade.

Code: Select all
Whenever Richard Cory went down town,
We people on the pavement looked at him:
He was a gentleman from sole to crown,
Clean favored, and imperially slim.

And he was always quietly arrayed,
And he was always human when he talked;
But still he fluttered pulses when he said,
"Good-morning," and he glittered when he walked.

And he was rich—yes, richer than a king—
And admirably schooled in every grace:
In fine, we thought that he was everything
To make us wish that we were in his place.

So on we worked, and waited for the light,
And went without the meat, and cursed the bread;
And Richard Cory, one calm summer night,
Went home and put a bullet through his head.
folkface

Postby pana » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:29 pm

here he is in 2010 Lebanon talking about his preference for non-aged wine
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s18CraTAb1A&t=55s
pana

Postby Nucky » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:45 pm

post to make thread easy to find. have learned a lot about the guy through this thread and sadly its taken his death for me to recognize the man, but his content is great and he seemed to embody qualities that if everyone had, the world would truly be a better place.
Nucky

Postby Franco » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:21 pm

Fullscreen wrote:
Franco wrote:Talk it out, fullscreen

it's funny that goofing on craft beer culture was one of his tics, and that he had no interest in discussing wine, because if there's any one thing i learned or internalized from him it was a desire for the context, history, and process behind what i eat and especially what i drink. even if it's not something he espoused himself, i can't imagine not seeking out new weird booze or pet-nat wines, or doing so without finding out who made it, what grapes were used and how were they grown and harvested and what it were they aged in and why. not to fetishize the raw data or anything, but just because i want to understand what i'm drinking - if anything, i want the vocabulary to articulate what it was i just drank, and to find more cool booze in the same vein.

it provides a human connection, too - none of this stuff exists in a vacuum. wine, booze and beer aren't homogenous, monolithic things from the ether. the human through-line of his shows is one of the subconcious reasons i want to talk to the little old lady vintner from sicily at the mostly-industry wine tasting about the light and climate and soil in her part of mount etna. you can taste the things she's talking about and it makes the stuff that much more real and immediate.

at the same time, i completely understand bourdain's more utilitarian, Cheap Beer Summer approach to drink as a necessary condiment, because sometimes you're in thailand and it's a million fucking degrees and you just wanna crack open a Tiger or whatever.

I agree with all of that completely. My quick stab at an answer is just the abundant bias among **CHEFS** against beer, wine, and pastry.

But setting that aside and zooming out, I still find something of an impenetrable core in what Bourdain's boiled-down philosophy actually was in this regard--it strikes me generally as 'seamless global citizen--' one who respects and knows enough about the world, its people, and its food/drink to show up anywhere act the right way and enjoy the right things. The truth is, this takes an enormous amount of time and research etc. Which is also the fun part like you said and leads to a heightened connection with the place or the dish. So the time in which these folks are at the bar enjoying and minutely discussing their flight of beers, he had (theoretically) already done that prep ahead of time. Bc at the end of the day there really is no difference between a craft beer in Colorado or a sole meunière.

I think about this a lot when I travel. I just went to Greece for a week and I knew nothing about it ahead of time. I'm the type of traveler that 6 months before a trip I'll immerse myself in research--google map street view, restaurant lists, history, itinerary-- and then have that in a doc but barely think of it again and just go. So it feels planned and familiar but also loose. For me, a week in Greece costs a noticeable amount of money and I probably will not go back soon so I want to make the best of it. The other part of me wants to show up, emotionally merge with traffic, and fucking figure it out, talking to my own people and having my own experience.

In my head you and I are circling the same point from different directions, which lies somewhere in the middle of Enjoyment, Knowledge, Authenticity, and Human Connection. And this is my confession that I'm def the guy talking about my chablis or IPA or bun cha or whatever. Just not obsessively. Hopefully.
Franco

Postby Fullscreen » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:48 pm

pana wrote:here he is in 2010 Lebanon talking about his preference for non-aged wine
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s18CraTAb1A&t=55s

god that's just lovely.
doomedhuh wrote:only love can break your heart
Fullscreen

Postby hey nathan » Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:17 am

Sichuan, magical
hey nathan

Postby Franco » Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:21 am

Made it to season 1 Quebec last night. The Joe Beef guys are fun as hell and the amount of rich classic french food and organs and blood saucesToggle Spoiler was completely over the top. Just watching this episode could be used as a meal replacement. And there was one moment at the end when Bourdain ate the maple snow candy wrong and got scolded and he looked embarrassed afterwards and that was sad.
Franco

Postby Franco » Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:28 pm

I'd like to recommend the latest episode of the new David Chang podcast. But with a warning that it is a very raw and open 25-min monologue of his own personal struggles with depression stated through the prism of the Bourdain news. I truly do think that a more boundless dialogue is important on these issues but I also know it remains sensitive for those of us 'in the weeds.' <3

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/dave-chang-on-mental-health-holding-on-to-hope-dave/id1375877915?i=1000413761514&mt=2
Franco

Postby ratbags » Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:46 pm

session to session
ratbags

Postby Classic Dog Avatar » Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:50 pm

can't believe poopler posted today and didn't bother with an obit
Classic Dog Avatar
ride.

Postby kid8 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:51 am

i don't understand.
Steve was the only man i loved.
kid8
killer

Postby smartphone » Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:05 am

maybe i’m just dating myself but i always really loved no reservations and parts unknown never really quite clicked for me. anywhere online i can stream eps of NR?
separator wrote:Yeah man I had breakfast at Hitler's Diner this morning...feel bad but the eggs are so good
smartphone

Postby funkfunkfunk » Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:02 am

Franco wrote:I'd like to recommend the latest episode of the new David Chang podcast. But with a warning that it is a very raw and open 25-min monologue of his own personal struggles with depression stated through the prism of the Bourdain news. I truly do think that a more boundless dialogue is important on these issues but I also know it remains sensitive for those of us 'in the weeds.' <3

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/dave-chang-on-mental-health-holding-on-to-hope-dave/id1375877915?i=1000413761514&mt=2

I was a tremendous fan of Chang's before I worked for him. He is unfortunately part of the rage-oholic, perpetuating cycles of abuse kind of chef, so I have zero patience to hear him speak on depression and mental illness given the sheer volume and intensity of the complexes he has inflicted on people I was/am close with.
jockesh or jakesh in farsi means pimp and unlike american in farsi pimp is a big insult and commonly applied to scoundrels and bad people like bush jr and i dont know of a word for actual jocks i dont think its a thing in iran but also anyway i wanted to say i believe in nothing
funkfunkfunk

Postby Franco » Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:39 am

Well, shit. Not that I’m entirely surprised. As an outside observer I got the sense he turned a corner maybe around the time Ko moved? But that ain’t worth a damn in regards to what you’re saying.

Anybody watch last nights Creole episode ?
Franco

Postby ratbags » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:17 am

I did and it was pretty insane
session to session
ratbags

Postby the scofflaw » Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:40 am

funkfunkfunk wrote:
Franco wrote:I'd like to recommend the latest episode of the new David Chang podcast. But with a warning that it is a very raw and open 25-min monologue of his own personal struggles with depression stated through the prism of the Bourdain news. I truly do think that a more boundless dialogue is important on these issues but I also know it remains sensitive for those of us 'in the weeds.' <3

I was a tremendous fan of Chang's before I worked for him. He is unfortunately part of the rage-oholic, perpetuating cycles of abuse kind of chef, so I have zero patience to hear him speak on depression and mental illness given the sheer volume and intensity of the complexes he has inflicted on people I was/am close with.

interesting to hear you say that, i binged his new podcast last week and he does a series of like "restaurant opening diaries" talking through the process of opening his new space and on multiple occasions he reflects on moments that he handled poorly, including stuff like going off on people and singling employees out. coupled with some of the anecdotes from past ventures there's def the impression that he could be a shitty dude to actually work for/with.
A novel by Chuck Palahniuk.
the scofflaw

Postby steaming shit » Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:27 pm

david chang is a wanker
steaming shit

Postby came to wreck » Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:45 pm

yeah that was always obvious to me whenever he's on tv shows like ugly delicious
came to wreck

Postby jalapeño ranch » Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:47 pm

Regardless of how Dave Chang treats people, I think that podcast episode is really worth listening to.
Celiac Cruz wrote:This one has no real explanation:
jalapeño ranch

Postby kirito » Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:04 pm

sounds like the boss in every kitchen i've worked in
kirito

Postby funkfunkfunk » Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:29 am

kirito wrote:sounds like the boss in every kitchen i've worked in

Sure, the hospitality industry is full of insecure napoleon-complex assholes that use their comparative power (which in bars/restaurants is actually not much with the ownership holding the cards vs. employees that have exactly zero) to validate their life choices by bullying, abusing, and generally cultivating a more-or-less fiefdom where staying in line with them is the only possibility that doesn't invite malice and undermining.

That being said, most of those assholes don't have international recognition and are certainly not invited to speak on mental illness and abuse.
jockesh or jakesh in farsi means pimp and unlike american in farsi pimp is a big insult and commonly applied to scoundrels and bad people like bush jr and i dont know of a word for actual jocks i dont think its a thing in iran but also anyway i wanted to say i believe in nothing
funkfunkfunk

Postby hadlex » Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:46 pm

I've sat with the news of his death for a few weeks. He was never someone I spent much time thinking about, so initially his suicide didn't really affect me and I was surprised how devastated people were at the news. Over the years, I've admired him in a vague sort of way and enjoyed the few episodes of his shows I'd seen. I recall being impressed when I found out he also wrote crime novels.

However, the more I read about him and go back to his shows, the more impressed I am by him and deeply saddened and disturbed by his death. I don't have any new insights, but the world is decidedly poorer for his absence. As someone earlier in the thread said, when it feels like life is slipping by and you're running out of time to do the things you want to do, his boundless curiosity and energy and enthusiasm so (relatively) late in his life are encouraging and show that there are endless chances to pursue what excites you. RIP.
The laughing jumbo of Europe's gay spots.
hadlex

Postby fury » Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:44 am

Fuck. He says “I’m the longest living male Bourdain at 58. I’m alone in the world” half in jest in the Paraguay episode
fury
ok

Postby Merciel » Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:16 am

I started watching Parts Unknown a few days after he died. We're midway through S3 now and it's such a weird combination of heartwarming and heartbreaking to see this for the first time in the wake of his suicide.

It's a great show though, and it's made me want to go out and see the world again, which I never thought would happen because I hated traveling for so long.
Merciel
Hipinion Dog Lady

Postby jalapeño ranch » Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:27 am

Yeah, rewatching the series, there's so much narration that I take in a different light after what happened. it almost feels like I'm watching the series again for the first time in a very bittersweet way.

The Massachusetts episode is devastating.
Celiac Cruz wrote:This one has no real explanation:
jalapeño ranch

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....