You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby hey nathan » Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:17 am

Sichuan, magical
hey nathan

Postby Franco » Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:21 am

Made it to season 1 Quebec last night. The Joe Beef guys are fun as hell and the amount of rich classic french food and organs and blood saucesToggle Spoiler was completely over the top. Just watching this episode could be used as a meal replacement. And there was one moment at the end when Bourdain ate the maple snow candy wrong and got scolded and he looked embarrassed afterwards and that was sad.
Franco

Postby Franco » Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:28 pm

I'd like to recommend the latest episode of the new David Chang podcast. But with a warning that it is a very raw and open 25-min monologue of his own personal struggles with depression stated through the prism of the Bourdain news. I truly do think that a more boundless dialogue is important on these issues but I also know it remains sensitive for those of us 'in the weeds.' <3

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/dave-chang-on-mental-health-holding-on-to-hope-dave/id1375877915?i=1000413761514&mt=2
Franco

Postby ratbags » Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:46 pm

session to session
ratbags

Postby Classic Dog Avatar » Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:50 pm

can't believe poopler posted today and didn't bother with an obit
Classic Dog Avatar
ride.

Postby kid8 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:51 am

i don't understand.
This sucker's electrical.
kid8
killer

Postby smartphone » Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:05 am

maybe i’m just dating myself but i always really loved no reservations and parts unknown never really quite clicked for me. anywhere online i can stream eps of NR?
separator wrote:Yeah man I had breakfast at Hitler's Diner this morning...feel bad but the eggs are so good
smartphone

Postby funkfunkfunk » Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:02 am

Franco wrote:I'd like to recommend the latest episode of the new David Chang podcast. But with a warning that it is a very raw and open 25-min monologue of his own personal struggles with depression stated through the prism of the Bourdain news. I truly do think that a more boundless dialogue is important on these issues but I also know it remains sensitive for those of us 'in the weeds.' <3

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/dave-chang-on-mental-health-holding-on-to-hope-dave/id1375877915?i=1000413761514&mt=2

I was a tremendous fan of Chang's before I worked for him. He is unfortunately part of the rage-oholic, perpetuating cycles of abuse kind of chef, so I have zero patience to hear him speak on depression and mental illness given the sheer volume and intensity of the complexes he has inflicted on people I was/am close with.
jockesh or jakesh in farsi means pimp and unlike american in farsi pimp is a big insult and commonly applied to scoundrels and bad people like bush jr and i dont know of a word for actual jocks i dont think its a thing in iran but also anyway i wanted to say i believe in nothing
funkfunkfunk

Postby Franco » Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:39 am

Well, shit. Not that I’m entirely surprised. As an outside observer I got the sense he turned a corner maybe around the time Ko moved? But that ain’t worth a damn in regards to what you’re saying.

Anybody watch last nights Creole episode ?
Franco

Postby ratbags » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:17 am

I did and it was pretty insane
session to session
ratbags

Postby the scofflaw » Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:40 am

funkfunkfunk wrote:
Franco wrote:I'd like to recommend the latest episode of the new David Chang podcast. But with a warning that it is a very raw and open 25-min monologue of his own personal struggles with depression stated through the prism of the Bourdain news. I truly do think that a more boundless dialogue is important on these issues but I also know it remains sensitive for those of us 'in the weeds.' <3

I was a tremendous fan of Chang's before I worked for him. He is unfortunately part of the rage-oholic, perpetuating cycles of abuse kind of chef, so I have zero patience to hear him speak on depression and mental illness given the sheer volume and intensity of the complexes he has inflicted on people I was/am close with.

interesting to hear you say that, i binged his new podcast last week and he does a series of like "restaurant opening diaries" talking through the process of opening his new space and on multiple occasions he reflects on moments that he handled poorly, including stuff like going off on people and singling employees out. coupled with some of the anecdotes from past ventures there's def the impression that he could be a shitty dude to actually work for/with.
A novel by Chuck Palahniuk.
the scofflaw

Postby steaming shit » Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:27 pm

david chang is a wanker
steaming shit

Postby came to wreck » Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:45 pm

yeah that was always obvious to me whenever he's on tv shows like ugly delicious
came to wreck

Postby jalapeño ranch » Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:47 pm

Regardless of how Dave Chang treats people, I think that podcast episode is really worth listening to.
Celiac Cruz wrote:This one has no real explanation:
jalapeño ranch

Postby kirito » Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:04 pm

sounds like the boss in every kitchen i've worked in
I love social media, I love fitness and I love photography
kirito

Postby funkfunkfunk » Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:29 am

kirito wrote:sounds like the boss in every kitchen i've worked in

Sure, the hospitality industry is full of insecure napoleon-complex assholes that use their comparative power (which in bars/restaurants is actually not much with the ownership holding the cards vs. employees that have exactly zero) to validate their life choices by bullying, abusing, and generally cultivating a more-or-less fiefdom where staying in line with them is the only possibility that doesn't invite malice and undermining.

That being said, most of those assholes don't have international recognition and are certainly not invited to speak on mental illness and abuse.
jockesh or jakesh in farsi means pimp and unlike american in farsi pimp is a big insult and commonly applied to scoundrels and bad people like bush jr and i dont know of a word for actual jocks i dont think its a thing in iran but also anyway i wanted to say i believe in nothing
funkfunkfunk

Postby hadlex » Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:46 pm

I've sat with the news of his death for a few weeks. He was never someone I spent much time thinking about, so initially his suicide didn't really affect me and I was surprised how devastated people were at the news. Over the years, I've admired him in a vague sort of way and enjoyed the few episodes of his shows I'd seen. I recall being impressed when I found out he also wrote crime novels.

However, the more I read about him and go back to his shows, the more impressed I am by him and deeply saddened and disturbed by his death. I don't have any new insights, but the world is decidedly poorer for his absence. As someone earlier in the thread said, when it feels like life is slipping by and you're running out of time to do the things you want to do, his boundless curiosity and energy and enthusiasm so (relatively) late in his life are encouraging and show that there are endless chances to pursue what excites you. RIP.
The laughing jumbo of Europe's gay spots.
hadlex

Postby fury » Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:44 am

Fuck. He says “I’m the longest living male Bourdain at 58. I’m alone in the world” half in jest in the Paraguay episode
fury
ok

Postby Merciel » Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:16 am

I started watching Parts Unknown a few days after he died. We're midway through S3 now and it's such a weird combination of heartwarming and heartbreaking to see this for the first time in the wake of his suicide.

It's a great show though, and it's made me want to go out and see the world again, which I never thought would happen because I hated traveling for so long.
Merciel
Hipinion Dog Lady

Postby jalapeño ranch » Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:27 am

Yeah, rewatching the series, there's so much narration that I take in a different light after what happened. it almost feels like I'm watching the series again for the first time in a very bittersweet way.

The Massachusetts episode is devastating.
jalapeño ranch

Postby Merciel » Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:56 am

He was such an astonishing person. We just did the Lyon episode where he meets Paul Bocuse and there's just... so much going on there.

How happy everyone is to be together, how awed everyone is by each other's accomplishments, all the pictures they take where they clearly can't believe the moment they're capturing on screen. Seeing Paul Bocuse (HE WAS STILL ALIVE!! That blew my mind, I didn't realize he was still alive until THIS YEAR). Bourdain somehow knowing how to duck hunt? (That wasn't the first time, either, they let him shoot at real live animals in a prior episode, so clearly dude learned how to hunt somewhere along the line or they wouldn't let him do it on camera.) That closing sequence with everyone gathered around the rustic table, enjoying yet another meal of delicious food in happy company -- the third or fourth one in that episode -- and then knowing how it all ended.

It's so sad. And I can't help but wonder if the state of the world in 2018 had something to do with it. For somebody as attuned to the world's injustices, who had seen so much and knew what the consequences would be, maybe that really would be unbearable. Especially if you already had that shadow in your psyche, waiting for a chance.
Merciel
Hipinion Dog Lady

Postby ratbags » Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:58 am

merciel, i really look forward to you seeing the southern italy episode which i consider the most perfect episode of the series. he's in love, its a beautiful landscape, there's incredible shots, gonzo storytelling....it's perfect
session to session
ratbags

Postby ratbags » Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:01 am

watching my favorite episodes in the wake of anthony's suicide really revitalized me in a way that i hope you feel in the end. the beautiful work this guy left behind is so rewarding and sincere. it doesn't take much to go dark, i know...but i hope he knew how much warmth he brought to fellow fucked up people like myself.
session to session
ratbags

Postby jalapeño ranch » Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:06 am

I'm fairly certain he talks about hunting quite a bit when he goes shooting with Ted Nugent in the US Southwest episode of No Reservations.
Last edited by jalapeño ranch on Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
jalapeño ranch

Postby Merciel » Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:06 am

The Sicily episode (edit: not the one you're talking about, presumably, it's just the only southern Italy episode we've seen so far) was pretty fucked. Not just the dead seafood incident (although definitely also that), but just how depressing Sicily looked. You compare those seafood markets to the ones in Tokyo and it's just, woof.

Plus for whatever reason everybody in Sicily dresses like a goddamn slob. I felt way more justified in my generally ridiculous state of dress after seeing that. At least if I accidentally got caught on camera, I'd make Philly look interesting and not just schlubby as fuck.

That Tokyo episode was wild, btw.

I kind of want to do a Parts Unknown recap thread now.
Merciel
Hipinion Dog Lady

Postby ratbags » Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:08 am

you should. the southern italy episode is the antidote to the sicily one. it actually has a full segment that redeems the dead seafood incident that is wildly manic and beautiful.
session to session
ratbags

Postby jalapeño ranch » Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:10 am

ratbags wrote:merciel, i really look forward to you seeing the southern italy episode which i consider the most perfect episode of the series. he's in love, its a beautiful landscape, there's incredible shots, gonzo storytelling....it's perfect

I love the Italy episode.

I've mentioned it before but my personal favorite episode is the Sardinia episode of No Reservations.

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3r0y2d
jalapeño ranch

Postby ratbags » Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:10 am

one of my favorite moments is long after he's last smoked a cigarette, at least on tv, he eats a small pasta dish so good by the sea that he's like "i need a cigarette" and it smash cuts to him smoking one at the table and i like to imagine him finding a cigarette desperately after eating that meal
session to session
ratbags

Postby Franco » Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:21 am

Is the Southern Italy episode And Rome one and the same?
Franco

Postby Franco » Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:35 am

I'm up to the Bronx ep (s4e2) on my rewatch. It's crazy how closely I watched all this at one point and yet it still feels like the first time. My favorite few so far have been

Lyon - as just mentioned by Merciel, if you have even a small bit of interest and appreciation for food history this episode is pure magic. Respecting the French masters is probably just a thing a lot of people do without having a strong sense or mental picture of what that era and food actually looked like and this gives you that the entire time. Bocuse is a mythical figure and the conversations with Boulud unpack all of that with the guy just sitting right there. Learning that little bit about Eugenie Brazier was incredible as well. All that food looks bad to me lol, but still.

Libya - there's one scene that takes place in Uncle Kentucky, a knock off of you know what, and he's talking to this guy who's cursing the memory of Gadaffi for turning him into a killer while he eats some kind of fried chicken sub and is so clearly enthused by the concept of fast food.

New Mexico - gorgeous scenery and just a really loving portrait of the people and culture

Tokyo - fucking :twisted: maaaan. sex and metal. an insane 40 mins that kept me awake for hours afterward

Detroit

Sicily was really tough and not a good rewatching experience tbh. it's bleak and really unsettling to have seen at this point in time. Similarly and perhaps appropriately for the locale Tony gets into a very dark and sour mood during a rough boat ride down the Congo river.

Goes without saying that every single episode is recommended viewing and each offers something but there's some thoughts
Franco

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....