Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby Merciel » Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:56 am

He was such an astonishing person. We just did the Lyon episode where he meets Paul Bocuse and there's just... so much going on there.

How happy everyone is to be together, how awed everyone is by each other's accomplishments, all the pictures they take where they clearly can't believe the moment they're capturing on screen. Seeing Paul Bocuse (HE WAS STILL ALIVE!! That blew my mind, I didn't realize he was still alive until THIS YEAR). Bourdain somehow knowing how to duck hunt? (That wasn't the first time, either, they let him shoot at real live animals in a prior episode, so clearly dude learned how to hunt somewhere along the line or they wouldn't let him do it on camera.) That closing sequence with everyone gathered around the rustic table, enjoying yet another meal of delicious food in happy company -- the third or fourth one in that episode -- and then knowing how it all ended.

It's so sad. And I can't help but wonder if the state of the world in 2018 had something to do with it. For somebody as attuned to the world's injustices, who had seen so much and knew what the consequences would be, maybe that really would be unbearable. Especially if you already had that shadow in your psyche, waiting for a chance.
Merciel
Hipinion Dog Lady

Postby ratbags » Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:58 am

merciel, i really look forward to you seeing the southern italy episode which i consider the most perfect episode of the series. he's in love, its a beautiful landscape, there's incredible shots, gonzo storytelling....it's perfect
session to session
ratbags

Postby ratbags » Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:01 am

watching my favorite episodes in the wake of anthony's suicide really revitalized me in a way that i hope you feel in the end. the beautiful work this guy left behind is so rewarding and sincere. it doesn't take much to go dark, i know...but i hope he knew how much warmth he brought to fellow fucked up people like myself.
session to session
ratbags

Postby jalapeño ranch » Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:06 am

I'm fairly certain he talks about hunting quite a bit when he goes shooting with Ted Nugent in the US Southwest episode of No Reservations.
Last edited by jalapeño ranch on Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Celiac Cruz wrote:This one has no real explanation:
jalapeño ranch

Postby Merciel » Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:06 am

The Sicily episode (edit: not the one you're talking about, presumably, it's just the only southern Italy episode we've seen so far) was pretty fucked. Not just the dead seafood incident (although definitely also that), but just how depressing Sicily looked. You compare those seafood markets to the ones in Tokyo and it's just, woof.

Plus for whatever reason everybody in Sicily dresses like a goddamn slob. I felt way more justified in my generally ridiculous state of dress after seeing that. At least if I accidentally got caught on camera, I'd make Philly look interesting and not just schlubby as fuck.

That Tokyo episode was wild, btw.

I kind of want to do a Parts Unknown recap thread now.
Merciel
Hipinion Dog Lady

Postby ratbags » Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:08 am

you should. the southern italy episode is the antidote to the sicily one. it actually has a full segment that redeems the dead seafood incident that is wildly manic and beautiful.
session to session
ratbags

Postby jalapeño ranch » Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:10 am

ratbags wrote:merciel, i really look forward to you seeing the southern italy episode which i consider the most perfect episode of the series. he's in love, its a beautiful landscape, there's incredible shots, gonzo storytelling....it's perfect

I love the Italy episode.

I've mentioned it before but my personal favorite episode is the Sardinia episode of No Reservations.

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3r0y2d
Celiac Cruz wrote:This one has no real explanation:
jalapeño ranch

Postby ratbags » Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:10 am

one of my favorite moments is long after he's last smoked a cigarette, at least on tv, he eats a small pasta dish so good by the sea that he's like "i need a cigarette" and it smash cuts to him smoking one at the table and i like to imagine him finding a cigarette desperately after eating that meal
session to session
ratbags

Postby Franco » Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:21 am

Is the Southern Italy episode And Rome one and the same?
Franco

Postby Franco » Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:35 am

I'm up to the Bronx ep (s4e2) on my rewatch. It's crazy how closely I watched all this at one point and yet it still feels like the first time. My favorite few so far have been

Lyon - as just mentioned by Merciel, if you have even a small bit of interest and appreciation for food history this episode is pure magic. Respecting the French masters is probably just a thing a lot of people do without having a strong sense or mental picture of what that era and food actually looked like and this gives you that the entire time. Bocuse is a mythical figure and the conversations with Boulud unpack all of that with the guy just sitting right there. Learning that little bit about Eugenie Brazier was incredible as well. All that food looks bad to me lol, but still.

Libya - there's one scene that takes place in Uncle Kentucky, a knock off of you know what, and he's talking to this guy who's cursing the memory of Gadaffi for turning him into a killer while he eats some kind of fried chicken sub and is so clearly enthused by the concept of fast food.

New Mexico - gorgeous scenery and just a really loving portrait of the people and culture

Tokyo - fucking :twisted: maaaan. sex and metal. an insane 40 mins that kept me awake for hours afterward

Detroit

Sicily was really tough and not a good rewatching experience tbh. it's bleak and really unsettling to have seen at this point in time. Similarly and perhaps appropriately for the locale Tony gets into a very dark and sour mood during a rough boat ride down the Congo river.

Goes without saying that every single episode is recommended viewing and each offers something but there's some thoughts
Franco

Postby ratbags » Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:37 am

Franco wrote:Is the Southern Italy episode And Rome one and the same?

No but both feature Asia Argento
session to session
ratbags

Postby Franco » Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:14 pm

Franco

Postby funkfunkfunk » Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:08 am

seeing as this is turning into discussion about favorite/interesting episodes: I'm watching the Jerusalem episode rn and holy shit that Gazan journalist is badass. Love love love that he spent so much time in the west bank and gaza.
jockesh or jakesh in farsi means pimp and unlike american in farsi pimp is a big insult and commonly applied to scoundrels and bad people like bush jr and i dont know of a word for actual jocks i dont think its a thing in iran but also anyway i wanted to say i believe in nothing
funkfunkfunk

Postby warmhouse » Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:10 am

Man I love the show and I love QOTSA but the Parts Unknown theme is so bad. I'd be so torn on having to accept that as my theme song.
warmhouse

Postby Kenny » Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:20 am

I'm still surprised that Anthony Bourdain committed suicide, despite knowing about his troubles in his life with depression. He had such a strong keeping on image
Image [PEACE] [LOVE] [UNITY] [RESPECT] ImageImage

Hi, I'm Kenny. I'm a Sagittarius and I love old video games and drinking craft beers.
Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby Feech La Manna » Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:57 am

badhat wrote:bike solve all problems
Feech La Manna
noir as fuck

Postby Feech La Manna » Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:01 pm

Rod Dreher is a weirdo even by conservative pundit standards
badhat wrote:bike solve all problems
Feech La Manna
noir as fuck

Postby chad » Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:07 pm

I mean there were ppl in this thread excited to blame Asia so
add me on habbo: ChadBraddington
chad

Postby Kenny » Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:17 pm

I blame Africa, if anything
Image [PEACE] [LOVE] [UNITY] [RESPECT] ImageImage

Hi, I'm Kenny. I'm a Sagittarius and I love old video games and drinking craft beers.
Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby Franco » Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:58 pm

pretty exhaustive interview just came out from February

https://popula.com/2018/07/15/bourdain-confidential/?
Franco

Postby deep blue meanies » Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:56 am

thanks franco. that was a good read.
deep blue meanies

Postby hadlex » Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:13 am

Franco wrote:pretty exhaustive interview just came out from February

https://popula.com/2018/07/15/bourdain-confidential/?

Yeah. Thanks for this. I’ve been doing a Bourdain deep dive lately and this had a lot of new, interesting stuff in it. Just hearing him free associate about NYT op-ed writers is a joy.
The laughing jumbo of Europe's gay spots.
hadlex

Postby light rail coyote » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:34 am

man he really goes after clinton in that thing.

bourdain might be the only person who can unironically be called best dude
light rail coyote

Postby deep blue meanies » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:51 am

bhutan episode was sick
deep blue meanies

Postby Merciel » Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:50 pm

That interview was great, thanks.

I'm so sad he's not with us anymore.
Merciel
Hipinion Dog Lady

Postby Bad Craziness » Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:28 pm

I’m only recently beginning my watch-through of Parts Unknown and S1E5 with the Quebecois ice fishers is completely melting my brain
Bad Craziness

Postby Franco » Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:28 pm

Haha why? There is some fatty ass food in that episode
Franco

Postby Franco » Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:30 pm

I posted about that episode on p.23. The ending made me a lil sad for Tony
Franco

Postby Merciel » Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:17 pm

I just really loved how many truffles they threw on every fucking thing.
Merciel
Hipinion Dog Lady

Postby big zorb » Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:34 pm

That episode is so romantic in the realest sense.
Woman: [Possibly smiling or laughing].
big zorb
smiling drinker

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....