What will the post social media landscape look like?

Health insurance rip off lying FDA big bankers buying
Fake computer crashes dining
Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby jack » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:26 pm

if we stuck with friendster none of this would have happened
jack

Postby Sobieski » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:30 pm

Why should Technology serve only like the interests of the Free Market?
smoke less weed
get more sleep
always tip %20
Sobieski
Comptroller

Postby swan » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:59 pm

Bad craziness post is giving me a mild panic attack
swan

Postby Marza » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:34 pm

Honestly, I think privacy's going to lose.

Increased integration of the internet of things will come with too many benefits for most people to not surrender their data. Things like always-on location sharing, smart cameras that capture interesting clips for you, wearable biotech, etc.

The companies that own these services will continue to use the data to train AI's and share it with other companies. There may be a push to decentralize power and have more transparent platforms for doing these things, systems where the users truly own their own data, but over time, the idea of internet privacy will erode and every facet of our lives will be recorded online.

I kind of like the idea. Better we face reality and move on from our historic, sentimental ideas of privacy instead of acting all surprised when Facebook does something corrupt.
Marza

Postby dvr » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:40 pm

Marza wrote:Honestly, I think privacy's going to lose.
dvr

Postby dvr » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:41 pm

it's pretty easy to not use facebook. why are you still on it?
dvr

Postby dvr » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:41 pm

the smugness when telling people you don't have a facebook account is unbeatable
dvr

Postby Grey Poupon » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:58 pm

dvr wrote:Image

China are going all in on a total security state under the guise of social engineering and I think it will creep into our 'free' world lives more and more and we won't even care (or at least my grandkids won't)
My listening experience in balanced mode reveals the great depth of EARTH
Grey Poupon

Postby Bad Craziness » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:00 am

there probably won't be a fundamental shift in the status quo until the decentralized internet

which will probably come to fruition around the same time as the glasses

once data is capable of circumnavigating the globe by jumping from device-to-device instead of being managed by a carrier service, all bets are off

some combination of AR, VR, and decentralized data/processing will create a tectonic shift politically, socially, and culturally on a scale more than equivalent to the attendant shifts that came with the telegram, television, and the internet
Bad Craziness

Postby Bad Craziness » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:02 am

don't mistake either of my posts for either an endorsement or condemnation, I'm just reading the weather as I see it

y'all fuck with McLuhan?

https://www.nextnature.net/2009/12/the-playboy-interview-marshall-mcluhan/

PLAYBOY: You’ve explained why you avoid approving or disapproving of this revolution in your work, but you must have a private opinion. What is it?

McLUHAN: I don’t like to tell people what I think is good or bad about the social and psychic changes caused by new media, but if you insist on pinning me down about my own subjective reactions as I observe the reprimitivization of our culture, I would have to say that I view such upheavals with total personal dislike and dissatisfaction. I do see the prospect of a rich and creative retribalized society — free of the fragmentation and alienation of the mechanical age — emerging from this traumatic period of culture clash; but I have nothing but distaste for the process of change. As a man molded within the literate Western tradition, I do not personally cheer the dissolution of that tradition through the electric involvement of all the senses: I don’t enjoy the destruction of neighborhoods by high-rises or revel in the pain of identity quest. No one could be less enthusiastic about these radical changes than myself. I am not, by temperament or conviction, a revolutionary; I would prefer a stable, changeless environment of modest services and human scale. TV and all the electric media are unraveling the entire fabric of our society, and as a man who is forced by circumstances to live within that society, I do not take delight in its disintegration.

You see, I am not a crusader; I imagine I would be most happy living in a secure preliterate environment; I would never attempt to change my world, for better or worse. Thus I derive no joy from observing the traumatic effects of media on man, although I do obtain satisfaction from grasping their modes of operation. Such comprehension is inherently cool, since it is simultaneously involvement and detachment. This posture is essential in studying media. One must begin by becoming extraenvironmental, putting oneself beyond the battle in order to study and understand the configuration of forces. It’s vital to adopt a posture of arrogant superiority; instead of scurrying into a corner and wailing about what media are doing to us, one should charge straight ahead and kick them in the electrodes. They respond beautifully to such resolute treatment and soon become servants rather than masters. But without this detached involvement, I could never objectively observe media; it would be like an octopus grappling with the Empire State Building. So I employ the greatest boon of literate culture: the power of man to act without reaction — the sort of specialization by dissociation that has been the driving motive force behind Western civilization.

The Western world is being revolutionized by the electric media as rapidly as the East is being Westernized, and although the society that eventually emerges may be superior to our own, the process of change is agonizing. I must move through this pain-wracked transitional era as a scientist would move through a world of disease; once a surgeon becomes personally involved and disturbed about the condition of his patient, he loses the power to help that patient. Clinical detachment is not some kind of haughty pose I affect — nor does it reflect any lack of compassion on my part; it’s simply a survival strategy. The world we are living in is not one I would have created on my own drawing board, but it’s the one in which I must live, and in which the students I teach must live. If nothing else, I owe it to them to avoid the luxury of moral indignation or the troglodytic security of the ivory tower and to get down into the junk yard of environmental change and steam-shovel my way through to a comprehension of its contents and its lines of force — in order to understand how and why it is metamorphosing man.
Bad Craziness

Postby Grey Poupon » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:11 am

maybe I'm missing the obvious here but what will the decentralized nature achieve that is so tectonic in a practical sense compared to what we have now?
My listening experience in balanced mode reveals the great depth of EARTH
Grey Poupon

Postby joe » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:48 am

Sobieski wrote:

It's better like this
dễ dàng wrote:CHẾT TIỆT
joe

Postby Marza » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:20 pm

Also hopefully better than this

Marza

Postby hologram » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:46 pm

it can't not lose otherwise we won't evolve as a collective energy and become dark matter like our ancestors
hologram
acid casualty

Previous

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....