How I found Hipinion (post is back, thanks shark week!)

Health insurance rip off lying FDA big bankers buying
Fake computer crashes dining
Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby Autarch » Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:04 am

I REMEMBER how I found hipinion. It was early 2013 and I was dabbling in experimental comedy at Northwestern University. I started a youtube channel on impulse (since I was addicted to self-validation and wanted something that people could look at and say "wow, mike, you're so smart/funny/talented". I did this even though I had no experience with (or even sense of/admiration for) video production/direction/acting. One of the first videos I made was a video of myself drowsily half-singing "Rock n Roll Night Club" by Mac DeMarco (as if i could only half-remember the lyrics) with my head smooshed against my pillow and the camera too close to my face. I liked the idea of making a youtube video, which is supposedly an activity for people who are obsessed with image, and making myself look intentionally ugly and unflattering, as well as expressing what I feel is a pretty universal experience, ie, only remembering parts of a song and singing it to yourself kind of under your breath while you're alone. Probably that same month, I made a video called "Petition for Cash" and posted it on youtube. It was a video that I thought was very funny; I wrote the script out beforehand and had to shoot many takes of the video because I kept laughing. I probably did 25-50 takes because sometimes I would start laughing basically the second I started talking. When I finished the video I showed it to some of my friends at my college who also did comedy things and one of them, Alec (who to this day I have tons of respect and admiration for) was like "man, that is legit really funny" and I was really happy with the fact that he liked it. Some of the other people were not that into it, but that was ok, because I have very different opinions from them in terms of what we think is funny. Anyway, not much later ( maybe a month?), I noticed that these two videos had experienced a (by my standards) drastic spike in views, so I went to the youtube analytics page to see why this happened. I noticed that most of the views were coming from 2 sources. Most of the views for the "Rock n Roll Night Club" video were coming from a post on facebook, and after doing some crafty googlework, I found the post that it was coming from. It was a post on a page called "Weird Vibes" which was apparently an online show produced by MTV. (***read note at bottom) Anyway, I commented on the post that it was my video and I struck up an odd internet friendship with the creator of the show (though we actually did meet in person one time). Most of the views for the "Petition for Cash" video were coming from a different website, however. A website I had never heard of. A website called forums.hipinion.com. I did a shitload of googlework and found the thread my video was posted in. It was a thread called "Youtubes that make you LOL every time" and the video was posted by a user named "No Not Now". Someone replied asking where "No Not Now" found the "Petition for Cash" video. He said that he found "Petition For Cash" through linking to my youtube page through my "Rock n Roll Night Club" video, which was apparently on Mac Demarco's youtube channel's Favorites playlist. Anyway, through some minor acts of doxxing, I found the tumblr page of "No Not Now" and found out who he was and friended him on twitter/facebook. I asked him what hipinion was; he said it was a message board. And then about four years later, I ironically made a youtube video about potentially making ukelele covers of neutral milk hotel and posting them on youtube, and a user named dylan (whose Youtube channel I assume used to be called Nite Walker) commented on the video that he and his friends on a message board still talked about "Petition For Cash" and I played dumb like "oh, what message board" and he was like "it's called hipinion" and I was like "I need you to get me an account there" because I had previously tried to make an account here back when I originally found it back in 2013 but was disappointed to find out that it was not an open forum and so he was like "ok, I'll try" and eventually it worked out and here I am. It's for the best that I didn't get on here back in 2013. I was not a very good person back then. Pretty racist. Probably would've gotten banned early. I wasn't ready yet. Anyway, that's the story of how I found Hipinion

***at this point, I remembered my old internet friend who I haven't talked to in years, and sent her a facebook message to reminisce about those days, and to let her know that she is a good friend, before continuing this post. good lord I am stoned. I hope she doesn't find the message creepy, because I'm literally just trying to tell her that I appreciate how kind she was to me during those years.
Last edited by Autarch on Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
Sent from my Lenovo
Autarch

Postby Daft Pun » Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:06 am

the only thing i recall about you is some blue lives matter cop defense nonsense
AIR
Daft Pun
i'm ill not sicc

Postby Daft Pun » Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:10 am

oh yeah you shit yrself as well
AIR
Daft Pun
i'm ill not sicc

Postby shark week » Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:12 am

i read that whole post, Autarch

i can appreciate your earnestness because i dislike how earnest and unfunny i am on this forum
It's dark and you want to go home?
shark week

Postby shark week » Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:14 am

i get the sense that some people here use this forum as a diary

i know i do and i should probably apologize for that. it usually makes for too many uninteresting posts.
shark week

Postby Autarch » Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:14 am

thanks shark week, your post made me decide to put my post back
Sent from my Lenovo
Autarch

Postby shark week » Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:17 am

i remember messaging/emailing mixitup about getting an account here in 2010 once the leak thread was moved to the members forum

but why did i think "shark week" was a hilarious user name? that was pretty embarrassing
shark week

Postby Autarch » Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:18 am

I think the diary posts are the most interesting. But maybe that's because my diary posts are about me, and everyone finds themselves to be the most interesting thing in the world (or at least I do). But I like reading other peoples' diary posts too. It is good to read about what other people think about. I think it is good to know what kinds of things people ruminate on. What troubles people. It's something that this forum gives me a good insight into that I otherwise wouldn't have. My dank mystic thread is a diary. It is good to know that everyone here is a full human with thoughts and feelings like me, and that we all feel the same things.
Sent from my Lenovo
Autarch

Postby shark week » Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:19 am

getting an account a little later during a 48 hour open registration period was exhilarating
shark week

Postby clouds » Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:20 am

i can't read anymore but i found hipinion from the schiavo shops thread going viral and became an occasional lurker turned frequent lurker turned whatever i am now.

i still laugh about that thread tbh. there was a lot of wrong perpetuated by the board back then, but that was so right.
Last edited by clouds on Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
clouds

Postby Autarch » Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:20 am

there were people who lobbied pretty hard for me to get an account here, and I am very honored that they did that. It's truly humbling that strangers did that for me.
Sent from my Lenovo
Autarch

Postby Daft Pun » Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:20 am

maybe it was a mistake?
AIR
Daft Pun
i'm ill not sicc

Postby clouds » Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:23 am

clouds

Postby Autarch » Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:24 am

Daft Pun, I do not know why you feel the need to put me down right now, but I think that it's great that you don't feel shy about showing people what kind of person you are inside. I really admire that.
Sent from my Lenovo
Autarch

Postby mites » Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:24 am

how old are you autarch?
mites

Postby Autarch » Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:25 am

I am 26.
Sent from my Lenovo
Autarch

Postby Daft Pun » Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:26 am

Autarch wrote:Daft Pun, I do not know why you feel the need to put me down right now, but I think that it's great that you don't feel shy about showing people what kind of person you are inside. I really admire that.

i was particularly offended by the cop defense. i'm not suggesting you never post again. as long as you agree to murder a cop
AIR
Daft Pun
i'm ill not sicc

Postby Autarch » Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:26 am

cool
Sent from my Lenovo
Autarch

Postby Annie May » Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:29 am

Cmon daft pun this isn't the thread for this
Annie May

Postby Annie May » Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:29 am

Lotta strife on the board today
Annie May

Postby clouds » Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:31 am

Annie May wrote:Lotta strife on the board today

it's a full summer moon next week. every year around this time there's mostly naked guys screaming in my neighborhood and fighting trash bins in the middle of the night.
clouds

Postby Daft Pun » Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:31 am

fuckin eh. it is a bad time for the board apparently but autark ilu
AIR
Daft Pun
i'm ill not sicc

Postby mites » Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:34 am

autarch idk what you think about cops but everyone should read about the baltimore gun task force
mites

Postby Autarch » Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:38 am

pretty disingenuous (edit: and remarkably off-topic) of daft pun to say I was making a blue lives matter defense, when in literally one thread, my assertion basically boiled down to "well surely there is a cop or two out there that isn't absolutely awful to the core"
Last edited by Autarch on Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sent from my Lenovo
Autarch

Postby Annie May » Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:40 am

Anyway that's a pretty good hipinion origin story. I found this place when i was 15. I was a member/lurker of the radiohead fan message board at ease and someone mentioned here so i checked it out. I think i was pretty into the facebook disaster thread which is ironic because if i go back and read the early posts in that thread it's just mean spirited mysogynistic garbage. I was a dumb teenager though. Anyway i lurked for a good seven years or so and mentioned board stuff probably an embarrassing amount of times to my friends. I put off getting an account for a long time even though i knew how to through the lurker thread because i was comfortable with being a lurker and i was anxious about people here not liking me. However i eventually bit the bullet and found bread's email in that thread and sent her a message and voila, here i am. Boarding is a lot more interesting than lurking but it's a big time sink on my life. I go through cycles of not posting for a while when it gets to be too much.
Annie May

Postby mites » Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:42 am

Autarch wrote:pretty disingenuous (edit: and remarkably off-topic) of daft pun to say I was making a blue lives matter defense, when in literally one thread, my assertion basically boiled down to "well surely there is a cop or two out there that isn't absolutely awful to the core"

they just hoped trump die in a way that best emphasizes trump's 'unhealthiness' bc of his poor eating habits
mites

Postby Daft Pun » Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:42 am

Autarch wrote:pretty disingenuous (edit: and remarkably off-topic) of daft pun to say I was making a blue lives matter defense, when in literally one thread, my assertion basically boiled down to "well surely there is a cop or two out there that isn't absolutely awful to the core"

this is 100% untrue
AIR
Daft Pun
i'm ill not sicc

Postby Annie May » Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:44 am

Y'all wanna hear about how i wouldn't shut up about night bus to my friends junior year of high school
Annie May

Postby Daft Pun » Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:47 am

yes
AIR
Daft Pun
i'm ill not sicc

Postby Autarch » Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:47 am

Daft Pun wrote:

this is 100% untrue

alright, yeah, I went back and read my posts and I did not articulate that point well at all but that is basically how I feel: that there must be a A FEW cops who are good people, and that you never know what you get until you talk to someone. Still was not a blue lives matter defense at all.

Annie May wrote:Y'all wanna hear about how i wouldn't shut up about night bus to my friends junior year of high school

do tell
Sent from my Lenovo
Autarch

Next

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....