Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby hbb » Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:20 am

loaf angel wrote:we have the best corn

this really made me laugh
hbb

Postby Annie May » Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:01 am

iambic wrote:I guess if you live in NYC or something it's different, but in the South the hurdle for acceptance at any social function is, like, "wear a shirt with sleeves"

I was up in maine recently for my uncle's funeral and as i was getting ready i realized that the shoes i brought didn't fit and I'd have to wear sneakers. I was self-conscious until i got to the church and nearly everyone was dressed casually. One if his wife's sisters was wearing pink crocs and a dude who got up to speak was wearing a fuckin Hawaiian shirt.
Annie May

Postby mcwop23 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:24 am

the worst thing about going to nyc is having to wear pants
wendy wrote:
colin meloy doesn't need to die
mcwop23
bitchez ain't shit but pups and licks

Postby identikit » Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:43 am

iambic wrote:
identikit wrote:people care less how you look.

informality/chill around dress, appearances, and etiquette is a top-tier thing about America

so much wasted time in Europe performing identity and class adherence

yes, that sums up what I was going for with how people don't ask what your parents or family do. big fan of informality, I can breathe in the US without having 10 checkpoints in my head.

I notice when I am back in Europe that I am finally starting to get somewhat americanised, and gradually let go of the entire "how do I present myself accordingly."

but only gradually, on my way to my in-laws in Paris and oh boy, that's the direct opposite of the US. In 48 hours from now I will probably put thought into what shoes I have to wear for lunch so I "fit in" and fulfil the very long list of etiquette requirements.

I like this thread. I also need it.
We are in the middle of getting our shit together for moving it all back to Chicago within the week (just moving stuff, we won't stay for good until after the summer), and 5 times a day I wonder if we are making a mistake.
I read too much of the Potus thread maybe, or haven't crawled deep enough under a rock to hide from reality yet, it's very easy for me to concentate on all the things that aren't great in the US. But despite all that, I'd still rather live there than in the Euro alternatives, reading Euro news and hearing from home is even more depressing. (Currently really enjoiyng the "yo let's just combine forces to make sure refugee ships sink as fast as possible" overall situation...)
identikit

Postby new blood, old hat » Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:55 am

I think etiquette is always easier in a different country where you can plead ignorant foreigner
new blood, old hat
ok

Postby Daft Pun » Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:45 am

- good drugs and drug scenes
AIR
Daft Pun
i'm ill not sicc

Postby delgriffith » Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:50 am

Hauntedattic wrote:Consumer choice
Cheap
Generally pretty good drivers
Boxy cars
Variety of places to visit within

Hit "Display this post" to see what kind of bullshit you'd come up with and I was not disappointed.
delgriffith

Postby Classic Dog Avatar » Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:52 am

KPH wrote:
fuckyoudad wrote:Has anyone mentioned IPAs

Yeah this was a real "wait really?" when I spent a lot of time abroad. I've since lost interest in them as a regular thing, but I'm always happy when I'm out that it's not just crap lagers and a - oh lookout - dark beer.

We eat dinner btwn 8 and 9. My folks still eat around 9, usually sometime later.

where were you? never realized you left the old us of a
Classic Dog Avatar
ride.

Postby alaska » Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:04 am

VHGisdead wrote:Dinosaur Kingdom II
mactheo wrote:
Emily Dickinson wrote:Our lives are ... so cool
alaska
ride.

Postby alaska » Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:11 am

Melville
mactheo wrote:
alaska
ride.

Postby aububs » Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:19 am

alaska wrote:Melville

I'm about half way thru moby dick at the moment and I'm enjoying it, it's a lot funnier than I thought it would be, but it's just soooo whaley. page after page of stuff about whales. next chapter? more whale stuff. I might be all whaled out
no buddy not really
aububs

Postby Daft Pun » Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:20 am

boxy cars?? what year is it
AIR
Daft Pun
i'm ill not sicc

Postby alaska » Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:25 am

aububs wrote:

I'm about half way thru moby dick at the moment and I'm enjoying it, it's a lot funnier than I thought it would be, but it's just soooo whaley. page after page of stuff about whales. next chapter? more whale stuff. I might be all whaled out

I wrote my thesis in college on Moby Dick and my advice to people reading it the first time is always skim if you start to get fried lol

A lot of the whalier chapters get more interesting when you revisit them and Melville is always randomly flying into profoundly beautiful prose in those sections but it is indeed so so much whale
mactheo wrote:
alaska
ride.

Postby alaska » Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:28 am

Some chapters back, one Bulkington was spoken of, a tall, new-landed mariner, encountered in New Bedford at the inn.

When on that shivering winter's night, the Pequod thrust her vindictive bows into the cold malicious waves, who should I see standing at her helm but Bulkington! I looked with sympathetic awe and fearfulness upon the man, who in mid-winter just landed from a four years' dangerous voyage, could so unrestingly push off again for still another tempestuous term. The land seemed scorching to his feet. Wonderfullest things are ever the unmentionable; deep memories yield no epitaphs; this six-inch chapter is the stoneless grave of Bulkington. Let me only say that it fared with him as with the storm-tossed ship, that miserably drives along the leeward land. The port would fain give succor; the port is pitiful; in the port is safety, comfort, hearthstone, supper, warm blankets, friends, all that's kind to our mortalities. But in that gale, the port, the land, is that ship's direst jeopardy; she must fly all hospitality; one touch of land, though it but graze the keel, would make her shudder through and through. With all her might she crowds all sail off shore; in so doing, fights 'gainst the very winds that fain would blow her homeward; seeks all the lashed sea's landlessness again; for refuge's sake forlornly rushing into peril; her only friend her bitterest foe!

Know ye, now, Bulkington? Glimpses do ye seem to see of that mortally intolerable truth; that all deep, earnest thinking is but the intrepid effort of the soul to keep the open independence of her sea; while the wildest winds of heaven and earth conspire to cast her on the treacherous, slavish shore?

But as in landlessness alone resides the highest truth, shoreless, indefinite as God - so, better is it to perish in that howling infinite, than be ingloriously dashed upon the lee, even if that were safety! For worm-like, then, oh! who would craven crawl to land! Terrors of the terrible! is all this agony so vain? Take heart, take heart, O Bulkington! Bear thee grimly, demigod! Up from the spray of thy ocean-perishing - straight up, leaps thy apotheosis!
mactheo wrote:
alaska
ride.

Postby aububs » Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:29 am

alaska wrote:
aububs wrote:

I wrote my thesis in college on Moby Dick and my advice to people reading it the first time is always skim if you start to get fried lol

A lot of the whalier chapters get more interesting when you revisit them and Melville is always randomly flying into profoundly beautiful prose in those sections but it is indeed so so much whale

this is really good advice thank you and a much better idea than just giving up on it because I am enjoying it. I've just found I have to read other books every so often to escape the whaliness. but i'll def see it thru and will now feel ok if I resort to skimming some bits
no buddy not really
aububs

Postby sordid affair » Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:28 pm

birthright citizenship
andrei wrote: i heard james joyce is tough, this is probably like the james joyce of rap, ostensibly, if you wanna think of it in those terms. haha, and it bumps, too!
sordid affair
chair in applied liberty

Location: the other side of mt. heart attack (in tiny pants, baking)

Postby Hal Jordan » Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:06 pm

I drank too much last night and dont remember anything
well that was intense
Hal Jordan

Postby Hal Jordan » Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:07 pm

My partner is super mad at me, and i am told it was a "shit show".
well that was intense
Hal Jordan

Postby Hal Jordan » Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:08 pm

Thanks, America
well that was intense
Hal Jordan

Postby tgk » Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:12 pm

The 4th of July in my neighborhood is one of my favorite things in the world and this video does a good job capturing that feeling
https://www.facebook.com/HoyMedia/videos/10155340049881153/
tgk

Postby transitive » Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:18 pm

tgk wrote:The 4th of July in my neighborhood is one of my favorite things in the world and this video does a good job capturing that feeling
https://www.facebook.com/HoyMedia/videos/10155340049881153/

Honest to God I teared up.
transitive

Postby That Demon Life » Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:47 pm

resum wrote:I'm back home in North America (I live in the UK right now) and people complained about eating dinner at 6:30 today, so tomorrow we're apparently going to try for 5:45 tomorrow. Tuesday the plan is 5:15, and I feel like I have to strategize how to be hungry enough to have an appetite.

I don't know any non-elderly people that eat at that time.
That Demon Life

Postby tgk » Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:50 pm

tgk

Postby transitive » Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:53 pm

Eating dinner before 7 is insanity.
transitive

Postby iambic » Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:13 am

sordid affair wrote:birthright citizenship

bump
iambic

Postby delgriffith » Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:15 am

Damn it.
delgriffith

Postby JohnK » Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:24 am

Fuuuuck
JohnK

Postby iambic » Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:31 am

next he will come for the diners
iambic

Postby goofjan » Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:40 am

diners that serve burned steak with ketchup will be safe though.
plz if u get a chanse put some flowrs on algernons grave kthxbye
goofjan

Postby Kenny » Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:43 am

Someday Trump is going to be dead, and that makes me happy
Image [PEACE] [LOVE] [UNITY] [RESPECT] ImageImage

Hi, I'm Kenny. I'm a Sagittarius and I love old video games and drinking craft beers.
Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....