what's the worst season of TV you watched the entirety of?

Let's talk Aguachile Alley

Postby light rail coyote » Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:45 pm

chairkicker wrote:you know i complete forgot to mention x-files season 10. that's number one with a bullet. it would be season 11 but i didnt actually finish it

I almost put these but realized I never actually finished either of them

light rail coyote

Postby blurst of times » Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:48 pm

I know I watched some of x-files season 10 but I can't remember if I finished it. I guess that's enough of an indictment of it, but what I watched was pretty bad (except for I think one episode)

blurst of times
ride.

Postby fester » Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:16 pm

Jeremy wrote:
oh! it's max! wrote:
easy wrote:jon bois did a pretty good on 24 and it rules

holy shit thank you for this

What in the fucking world. Is this what 24 was like?

that is exactly what 24 was like
------------

fester

Postby That Demon Life » Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:25 pm

blurst of times wrote:Probably season 6 of the office? I usually don't stick with things if I don't enjoy them, but I'd been in the habit of watching the office at that point. That was the last season I watched

Still haven't even finished Westworld season 1

Yeah it definitely got even worse. Seasons 8/9 of The Office are horrifically bad.

That Demon Life

Postby fester » Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:27 pm

later seasons of the office made me extremely uncomfortable
------------

fester

Postby pissydan » Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:27 pm

becky wrote:dexter, yeah. I didn't watch the final season to completion but I watched every other season.

why is dexter such a common thread I wonder? I know it was one of the first PRESTIGE TV (though even calling it this seems generous, it was basically an R rated CSI) shows that I got into in real time. I was in college and a bunch of my friends were all super into it.

remember when dexter became this HUGE hit for showtime so they decided to air the edited episodes on CBS and parental groups lost their collective shit?
As life would have it, Johnny did somebody wrong and they filed a complaint.

pissydan
|ᵆ|>

Postby jewels » Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:41 pm

Holy shit weeds had 9 seasons
gold and glass wrote:When you get to heaven, do you get to see a list of which gimmicks belonged to who?

jewels

Postby light rail coyote » Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:26 pm

fester wrote:later seasons of the office made me extremely uncomfortable

my coworkers are all still really into the office for whatever reason and they love the later seasons. they were airing when i was still really stubborn about finishing tv shows regardless of how bad they got and even I bailed about halfway through the first season without carrell.

light rail coyote

Postby sliiimer » Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:20 pm

Big Brother UK 15

sliiimer

Postby fester » Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:26 pm

I watched the american season of I'm a Celebrity Get Me Out of Here with Sanjaya and Patty Blagojevich
------------

fester

Postby brittle » Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:18 pm

fester wrote:
Jeremy wrote:
oh! it's max! wrote:
easy wrote:jon bois did a pretty good on 24 and it rules

holy shit thank you for this

What in the fucking world. Is this what 24 was like?

that is exactly what 24 was like

yeah, i don't want to be that guy, but thank god for the cougar scene in season 2 or 3. it was a perfectly timed smelling salt that snapped me out of who-done-it mode and made me realize what a fucking ridiculous, sadistic series i was watching, and that i didn't/shouldn't care how it ends, and just should just go outside instead.
Last edited by brittle on Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

brittle

Postby brittle » Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:19 pm

but i'm glad i watched it far enough to enjoy that youtube.

brittle

Postby feral » Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:29 pm

Orange is the New Black S1
philosophy isny jut navel gazing about "life"
feral

Postby nice pass » Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:30 pm

Name a season of Breaking Bad. Can't believe I watched all that shit

nice pass
ok

Postby ero guro vidal (aka todd) » Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:49 pm

white mage wrote:
Canadian Todd (for Canadians) wrote:How do people start and finish shows? It's so hard. It's like, oh, man. Here's a show, but then I start it and get five minutes in and start wondering about all the other things I could watch and how daunting a commitment a show is and start fucking around with my phone and I missed integral plot points. And then I just end up watching supercuts of kills from umberto lenzi flicks on youtube.

:barney: :barney: :barney:

Imagine being so bad at life u cant event watch TV right

My dinner was eating a pita with five slices of cheese and bbq sauce in it. BBQ sauce because fuck it. Can’t go in dry. I microwaved it to make the cheese gooey but kept it in too long and the cheese got crunchy/burnt. I ate it over the sink so I didn’t have to dirty a plate.

So, like, yeh.
https://www.patreon.com/agoodboy
https://letterboxd.com/SwampMeat/

Jim Belush Twitter wrote:@JimBelushi
Dec 29
Apparently, a lot of people think anime and cannabis go together. I guess I’m set!

ero guro vidal (aka todd)

Postby worrywort » Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:23 pm

tv rules

worrywort

Postby ero guro vidal (aka todd) » Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:27 pm

The mid-00s period of non-HBO premium channel shit was riddled with really, really bad t.v., which was also peak “blind buying season sets and committing to shitty shows” for college-bound Canadian Todd.

I plowed through Weeds season 1 (p bad), Dexter season 1 (p bad), Californication season 1, Brotherhood season 1, Sleeper Cell season 1 (just so bad) and a bunch of would-be edgy shows. Nip-Tuck season one. Weeds was especially awful. Had a subplot in the pilot where she busts up her teenage dealer threatening to cut her out by taking pics of him getting fucked for money by some suburb dad. The season finale is the reveal that her new bf is a DEA agent!!! And, like, her young son is super precocious and her older son is sleeping with some girl and her mom makes her go to a boarding school because of it. It’s real bad.

Cinemax and Showtime just on that trash C-tier shit. It’s like they wanted to replicate HBO success, but didn’t have the eye or the budget for talented writers/showrunners so they punted on faux-edgy schlock. I thought goofjan’s post from the Sharp Objects thread was spot on:
goofjan wrote:My general gripe is that the show is very HBO, meaning A++ production values for a trashy as hell story, has gruesome violence, child endangerment/rape/torture as automatic engine for stakes. basically all the worst traits of True Detective S1 but with a female perspective instead of a mystic bro one. which I guess makes it fresh? I dunno. I'm fully in now so I look forward to watching this wrap up.

And I feel like HBO is p much Showtime in mid-00s, but with the type of budget that gives their shows that prestige tv gloss and significantly better talent running these things - from writers, directors and actors it attracts. Also, the things goofjan mentions really distringushes it from frivolous low-stakes mid-aughts showtime trash. Showtime was p much low-stakes trash but didn’t trade on that ultra violence/rape as plot devices to ramp up tension/stakes. It was always just shitty analog for the Sopranos (brotherhood), shitty analog for, like, 24 (sleeper cell), shitty irreverent “suburbs have a seedy underbelly” dramedy (weeds). I feel like it was prolly around Sopranos ending and true blood started that HBO moved from aging white guy auteurs with very particular voices/interests driving “serious” crime/period dramas to like true blood and game of thrones and the yung pope with boardwalk empire being the last remnants of what came before (and, like, boardwalk empire was p bad but aspired to be in that deadwood/wire/sopranos game).

I also think Cinemax opting to go the straight-to-video 80s action movie-but-extended-into-a-show route with Banshee (which is all-time great trash) and Strike Back was a real interesting direction for that channel to take.

This is a dumb ramble post.
https://www.patreon.com/agoodboy
https://letterboxd.com/SwampMeat/

Jim Belush Twitter wrote:@JimBelushi
Dec 29
Apparently, a lot of people think anime and cannabis go together. I guess I’m set!

ero guro vidal (aka todd)

Postby Milk » Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:42 pm

brittle wrote:but i'm glad i watched it far enough to enjoy that youtube.

i enjoyed that YT a lot and i've never seen one ep of 24.
I must insist on being a pessimist, I'm a loner in a catastrophic mind

Milk

Postby freshweed » Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:45 pm

Prolly Dexter season 3 or 4

freshweed

Postby Tuba Gooding Jr » Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:04 pm

Probably the 4th season of Star Trek: Enterprise
I'm gifted and gonna sell sex

Tuba Gooding Jr

Postby ThePettyDemon » Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:08 pm

A lot of you mentioned the ones that first came to mind. However, I’d just like to say that the weird last season of Scrubs that came after they had already had what felt like a series finale was horrible and I watched all of it.

ThePettyDemon

Postby OKterrific » Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:51 pm

chairkicker wrote:you know i complete forgot to mention x-files season 10. that's number one with a bullet. it would be season 11 but i didnt actually finish it

I was gonna say Westworld but yeah it's probably this. I feel like I wouldn't have stuck with it at the time but I powered through when I binged the whole series several years ago.
mcwop23 wrote:no need for lame earnest dad posts

OKterrific
our rachel maddow

Postby Bartatua » Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:37 pm

im pretty into that 24 video
i broke somebody's ribs

Bartatua
Site Admin

Postby Jeremy » Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:43 pm

I'm probably going to watch 24 now.

Jeremy

Postby Bartatua » Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:45 pm

same
i broke somebody's ribs

Bartatua
Site Admin

Postby Meeps » Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:45 am

Seasons 4-8 of Weeds

Meeps

Postby toph » Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:01 am

It amazes me how many shows people watch every episode of. Even shows that I started out liking I usually bail on when they get bad. I can't imagine watching the between one and four seasons of shows like Dexter, the Killing, True Blood, Sons of Anarchy, the Walking Dead, etc and being able to drudge up the willpower to actually watch through the end. Every one of those and a bunch of others there instances when I finish a season and think either "god this is awful" or "I don't actually give a shit anymore" and bail.

toph

Postby joe » Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:11 am

brittle wrote:yeah, i don't want to be that guy, but thank god for the cougar scene in season 2 or 3. it was a perfectly timed smelling salt that snapped me out of who-done-it mode and made me realize what a fucking ridiculous, sadistic series i was watching, and that i didn't/shouldn't care how it ends, and just should just go outside instead.

I watched 24 season 1 in 2-3 days, immediately started season 2, made it to the cougar, giggled a lot, and then made up for lost sleep. Never thought much about the show again except reading a 24 thread I think when a boarders said the way it was shot gave the impression that the cougar had actually set the trap that got the girl next door.

joe

Postby nice pass » Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:24 am

toph wrote:It amazes me how many shows people watch every episode of. Even shows that I started out liking I usually bail on when they get bad. I can't imagine watching the between one and four seasons of shows like Dexter, the Killing, True Blood, Sons of Anarchy, the Walking Dead, etc and being able to drudge up the willpower to actually watch through the end. Every one of those and a bunch of others there instances when I finish a season and think either "god this is awful" or "I don't actually give a shit anymore" and bail.

People are idiots.

nice pass
ok

Postby Jeremy » Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:43 am

People aren't idiots, it's just that the structure is idiots.

Jeremy

PreviousNext

Return to Aguachile Alley