You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby litt » Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:48 pm

hi everybody!
litt

Postby BlackSugar » Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:54 pm

see where were all the random posts and pictures of pies and bottoms when I made my thread?
I come like a thousand doves
BlackSugar
COMING SOON

Postby Ankh » Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:55 pm

link?
Ankh
senior fellow

Postby sordid affair » Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:56 pm

remember this gem

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2007/jun/15/popandrock

Television, Marquee Moon
Nominated by Alex Kapranos of Franz Ferdinand

People expect us to love Television the way they think we love Gang of Four and were influenced by them - but we don't and we weren't! Marquee Moon is one of those records that I thought I loved, but it was only after a few years I realised I didn't love the album, just the first 10 bars of the title track, which are pretty astonishing. Those guitars that play off each other and the way the instruments go into wonderful places and the guitars are totally insane and that big cascade of drums - it's incredible. Then your attention wanders. You know when a boring guy is explaining to you the technical spec of a car, the fuel injection system and the leather seats, and his voice becomes so much background noise? Once I took the needle off this record, I realised I hadn't heard it at all. But what annoys me is the way people pontificate over the album; it's one of those staples of student halls of residence. People wax lyrical about it, but the reason it's so popular is because it's a prog rock album its okay to like. Because the words "punk" and "New York" and "1977" are associated with it, it's deemed cool. Really, though, they're a band who give guys who like 20-minute guitar solos an excuse. They were the Grateful Dead of punk, and I always hated all that jam-band stuff. They have the ethos of a jam-band but the aesthetic of a New York outfit. If anything, the Strokes took the look of Television, the aesthetic - and the Converse sneakers - and ignored the jam-band aspect. They took those first 10 bars of Marquee Moon and did something great with it! Tom Verlaine's lyrics didn't have much impact on me. I'm always uneasy when singers in bands profess to be poets - they can veer into pomposity and pretentiousness. But I've got to be careful: I once said something about Jim Morrison and the Doors, about their pseudo-poetry, and immediately all these articles on the internet appeared saying, "Kapranos slams Morrison!" I'm not slamming Television - I respect them. But Marquee Moon is an album I admire more than enjoy.
andrei wrote: i heard james joyce is tough, this is probably like the james joyce of rap, ostensibly, if you wanna think of it in those terms. haha, and it bumps, too!
sordid affair
chair in applied liberty

Location: the other side of mt. heart attack (in tiny pants, baking)

Postby Evil Urges » Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:56 pm

Snatch wrote:Image]

i quite enjoy pies
Ersaph wrote:I want my balls to scrape against the ground when I walk like the fists of a neanderthal.
Evil Urges

Postby darger » Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:59 pm

Snatch wrote:a friend of mine reminded me of its existence today and i just thought "well, THIS THREAD MUST BE THE PLACE"

see what i did there

not really, i just deleted all my talking heads.
darger
ok

Postby gold and glass » Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:01 pm

ho bag brown wrote:Soul Survivor, 3 posts and I know exactly who you are.

He's the guy who sucks
fuck you and your corporation
gold and glass
ok

Postby okl » Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:01 pm

i dont like this band either
Great song. Great clip. Five bloody stars.
okl

Postby Legion » Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:14 pm

I have still never heard a Strokes album.

What's funny about that piece is that he gets it exactly wrong. Television are great because they took jam-band junk, stripped it down, made it service the songs.

Stuntman: Hipinion for me is like a choose-your-own adventure where every topic is a direct path to the depressed thread.
Legion

Postby sordid affair » Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:16 pm

exactly. i probably should have bolded the whole thing, but i couldn't bring myself to reread it
andrei wrote: i heard james joyce is tough, this is probably like the james joyce of rap, ostensibly, if you wanna think of it in those terms. haha, and it bumps, too!
sordid affair
chair in applied liberty

Postby hiddenicon » Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:18 pm

i like both television and the strokes.
hiddenicon

Postby iambic » Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:19 pm

and so you should young man
iambic

Postby Feech La Manna » Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:20 pm

sordid affair wrote:exactly. i probably should have bolded the whole thing, but i couldn't bring myself to reread it

It's kinda hard to even get past the first sentence
badhat wrote:bike solve all problems
Feech La Manna
noir as fuck

Postby sordid affair » Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:20 pm

i would go so far as to say that i love both (though television more deeply)
sordid affair
chair in applied liberty

Postby young opiate » Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:21 pm

quite a muslim wrote:may I suggest a Mouton Rothschild 1945 (Carbernet Sauvignon), some almonds and a rich, moldy cheese to go with this thread.

are you saying this is philistine. i was thinking the same thing.
young opiate

Postby hbb » Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:28 pm

hiddenicon wrote:i like both television and the strokes.

Do you consider the liking of television to be moral and the liking of the strokes to be immoral?
(edit: presumably)
hbb

Postby hiddenicon » Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:31 pm

society has definitely tried to make me feel more dirty for liking the strokes...

we're oppressed, but we're EVERYWHERE
hiddenicon

Postby sordid affair » Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:32 pm

i'm oppressed WITHIN that oppressed group, because i like room on fire best (by far!)
sordid affair
chair in applied liberty

Postby iambic » Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:33 pm

everyone likes the strokes, though

they are probably the most agreed upon band that everyone I know likes
iambic

Postby hiddenicon » Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:37 pm

sordid affair wrote:i'm oppressed WITHIN that oppressed group, because i like room on fire best (by far!)

well, it is their best album though...
hiddenicon

Postby FidelityCastro » Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:07 pm

sordid affair wrote:i'm oppressed WITHIN that oppressed group, because i like room on fire best (by far!)

Yeah I won't split hairs with you here, I probably wouldn't make the same statement but what an album
FidelityCastro

Postby FidelityCastro » Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:07 pm

but I don't like the talking heads either so what do I know
FidelityCastro

Postby Mesh » Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:23 pm

I even like Albert Hammond Jr. solo albums....BOTH OF THEM

np: Image
...brewed into the common yeast of the waves.
Mesh

Postby genghis sean » Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:07 pm

The Beach Boys, Pet Sounds
Nominated by Luke Pritchard of the Kooks

Of all the albums that get written about as "classics", this one least deserves it. Having said that, it contains one of the greatest songs ever written: God Only Knows, which is melancholic yet uplifting, pure yet fucked-up. But the rest of the record is a total let-down - I felt that way from the very first listen. Pet Sounds is a million miles away from Sgt Pepper or Dark Side of the Moon. I do appreciate the lyrics, and I know it's an album about getting older, but as a concept album, it doesn't quite add up. Good tunes, yes - Wouldn't It Be Nice is a great pop song - but most of the other tracks just don't resonate for me. I apologise unreservedly to everyone who loves every word and note, every last crackle, on this album, but that's how it is. Oh, and it's got the worst sleeve of any major album, ever. Feeding time at the zoo? I don't think so.
genghis sean

Postby swag motherfucker » Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:11 pm

dear god i forgot about that list.

that douchey quote from the battles guy makes me want to like the strokes a lot more than i do.
swag motherfucker

Postby derek » Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:16 pm

the strokes blow...talking heads are are so much better
derek

Postby derek » Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:17 pm

soul survivor: i don't think the band is called "the talking heads" its just talking heads kind of like "arcade fire" another band to be admired but not enjoyed
derek

Postby Link » Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:20 pm

that guy writing about the velvet underground, wow

wayne coyne's take on nevermind has me closer to suicide bombing a lips show than i already am
Link

Postby zamboni » Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:23 pm

lets all admire arcade fire
zamboni

Postby hiddenicon » Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:25 pm

derek wrote:soul survivor: i don't think the band is called "the talking heads" its just talking heads kind of like "arcade fire" another band to be admired but not enjoyed

sweet jesus...
hiddenicon

PreviousNext

Return to Don't. Let. Go. You’ve got the music in you.