Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby Classic Dog Avatar » Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:13 pm

probably the best cardio in the heart/lungs sense tho
Classic Dog Avatar
ride.

Postby ouroboros » Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:24 pm

Used to swim more when I was younger, but every few years I'll get back into it for awhile. The smell of chlorine in the early AM... almost as good as coffee.
ouroboros

Postby Spoilt Victorian Child » Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:05 am

I was on a swim team when I was a kid. I think I started when I was 5. Every summer day we had practice at whatever awful hour... it was probably 7 because I don't see my mom consistently getting me somewhere any earlier than that. Christ if you take a day with a high of 82 it might only be 67 degrees at 7 AM. Anyway one year June rolled around and it occurred to me that I knew lots of people who weren't on swim team, so I probably didn't have to be either? Then I quit.
Spoilt Victorian Child
ok

Postby Classic Dog Avatar » Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:14 am

it did make my days better
Classic Dog Avatar
ride.

Postby quinine » Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:25 am

I've never swam for fitness before but just moved to a building that has a pool so figured I outta start. I'm a regular cyclist and ride pretty hard, but man. I did six laps front crawl and was physically ill when I got out

ps is a lap really just one length down the pool? that doesn't sound right
Dr. Norm Thagard wrote:You have truly outside yourself
quinine
ok

Postby Classic Dog Avatar » Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:41 am

it's a long ways

i think my biggest problem at the time was this pool was both a lap pool an a diving pool so there was something unnerving about being 40ft above the bottom in pitch black barely awake
Classic Dog Avatar
ride.

Postby dvr » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:16 pm

Real Love wrote:it's a long ways

i think my biggest problem at the time was this pool was both a lap pool an a diving pool so there was something unnerving about being 40ft above the bottom in pitch black barely awake

Oh yeah, I can see that.

I swam competetive from ages 5-21. From about 14-18 I also played water polo. So many early mornings jumping into a freezing pool I dread getting in the water now, not refreshing at all. There were definitely some deep, dark ominous pools. Also some pools with turds rolling along on the bottom.

The last few years I've made myself swim once a month or so, just hop in swim a 500 (20 lengths) and call it good. I'd like to join an adult masters program but I'm always slacking on it, and now where I live there isn't one. I grew up calling a lap just one length, but now some people refer to a lap as 2 lengths, so I dunno.
Last edited by dvr on Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
dvr

Postby mcwop23 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:18 pm

i plan on getting into swimming once i'm old and can't lift anymore and have nothing better than to lounge in a pool in a house i hope to live in
wendy wrote:
colin meloy doesn't need to die
mcwop23
bitchez ain't shit but pups and licks

Postby ouroboros » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:20 pm

Real Love wrote:it's a long ways

Swimming over the deep end always made swim faster...
ouroboros

Postby ouroboros » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:21 pm

mcwop23 wrote:i plan on getting into swimming once i'm old and can't lift anymore and have nothing better than to lounge in a pool in a house i hope to live in

Ya it's great and if your shoulders are shot you can always use a kickboard Image
ouroboros

Postby dvr » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:36 pm

I remember when I was 6 or 7 I won a raffle to swim in some celebrity race. It was Summer Sanders, Marc Spitz, and a few other former Olympians. I was pissed when I found out my parents had entered me and I had to do this. I remember squeezing my ice cream cone and destroying it. There were a few other kids in "Fastest Man Afloat" race but they were older. In the home video of it (I only remember the ice cream squishing) everyone finishes the race and stand up cheering me on into the finish. There is a huge crowd all around the pool also cheering. In about 3 seconds I touch the wall, jump out of the pool ignoring Matt Biondi leaning over into my lane trying to shake my hand and b-line it through the crowd back to the ice cream stand.
dvr

Postby dvr » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:50 pm

Another time I remember being at a swim meet and it was drizzling. Walking around the pool throughout the morning we all kept thinking there were termites eating our feet, turns out the starter system was wired faulty and we were getting electrocuted
dvr

Postby ouroboros » Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:02 pm

Swim cap or no swim cap. What do others prefer?
ouroboros

Postby deep blue meanies » Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:17 pm

i think swimming is the only exercise i really enjoy

going before work/uni when it's warm out is truly the best
deep blue meanies

Postby pokethedoke » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:31 pm

should I do crossfit or something? If I paid 150$ or something and had a 6 pack in a month I'd say its worth it
pokethedoke

Postby pokethedoke » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:31 pm

I just don't want to be one of those losers on instram posting about crossfit all day
pokethedoke

Postby Brouhaha » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:58 pm

you dont need to join a crossfit gym to do crossfit. and it's a waste of money and not the safest thing. a typical session can have you doing box jumps, kettlebell swings/deadlifts, burpees, wall balls, and some Olympic lifting. that can take quite a toll on your lower back and most crossfitters seem to get at least one major injury a year because they are dumb and are always aiming to hit new PRs.

maybe opt for a combo of calisthenics and powerlifting instead, that'll get you good results and be less likely to cause harm.

I don't think the average crossfitter can do ten strict pullups
Last edited by Brouhaha on Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
make it mild
Brouhaha

Postby pokethedoke » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:00 pm

ok done
pokethedoke

Postby Brouhaha » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:06 pm

I mean if you really want to try it, do it. There is the whole community aspect of it and you'll learn Olympic lifting which is good. Just don't do it more than 3-4 days a week.

Most gyms like 24 hour fitness are starting to stock things like bumper plates now so it's easy to fuck around on a budget
make it mild
Brouhaha

Postby object » Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:44 pm

Should i be worried about this in my pea protein powder? I never really looked at COAs before.

object

Postby Brouhaha » Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:13 pm

that's probably commonly found in most sups

but I cant think of anything that tastes worse than pea protein, hate that it's in like 95% of plant based sups these days.
make it mild
Brouhaha

Postby object » Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:17 pm

hemp is worse, at least the one i've been using.
object

Postby Brouhaha » Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:22 pm

hemp has no taste really unless you bought a flavored one, just mix it with something a little sweet and it's fine. I tried masking the taste of pea protein several times with different juices and could not mask it even a little, barf
make it mild
Brouhaha

Postby object » Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:25 pm

the hemp i got is *looks at packet* "dirt flavour"
object

Postby bear » Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:28 pm

wow just suck it up and eat the peas. pain doesn't hurt
hpn.center - the #1 source for all your boarding needs
bear
good bear

Postby object » Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:34 pm

love peas, dislike arsenic
object

Postby pokethedoke » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:02 pm

Is crunch good? It's 110$ a year + they have semi-private programs that I think will be affordable (if anyone knows what they rates are usually lemme know). I'd like to have people to work out with like 3 days a week or something/ need decent instruction for a bit
pokethedoke

Postby Brouhaha » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:27 pm

some Crunch gyms are really large and fancy but some are pretty basic. regardless, that's a great price for any gym for a whole year. might want to also check Groupon as a lot of gyms have deals for 1-3 months to see if you like it without committing to a year contract
make it mild
Brouhaha

Postby qwerty » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:26 am

guys i'm a bit torn on taking creatine, and have been reading a bunch on the internet trying to understand, and i'm probably overthinking it. all I take supplement wise are protein shakes after a workout. I don't want to get super bulky, but I feel I'm already pretty lean could stand to add a bit. Part of this also is because my diet is as such that I don't eat nearly enough calories, which I'm trying to make a concerted effort to change. I eat really, really well, just not enough.

1) should I be taking creatine? I workout pretty often, i'd say 4-6 times/week, and I'm concerned I'm selling my workouts short.
2) I'm confused as to what to take. Should it be straight creatine like this or like a preworkout w/ creatine?
3) I'm reading differing things of what happens if/when you stop taking creatine. I realize that it pulls water into your muscles, so once you go off of it, do you deflate like a goddamned balloon?
4) are rumors of it causing balding TRUE? I have a luxurious head of tighted cropped hair that i just cannot lose.

sorry if these are rookie questions.
qwerty

Postby object » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:29 am

just take a nice and healthy protein powder with no shit in it
object

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....