Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby Guffaw » Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:54 pm

Kev did you like ODDSAC? it's not really freeform but it's pretty droney in places
Guffaw

Postby Guffaw » Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:57 pm

imagine if Deakin's album blows this and tomboy out of the water

he's the AC dark horse....
Guffaw

Postby Kevin McCallister » Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:59 pm

I haven't seen it yet but I listened to a rip and I'm looking forward to listening to it many more times.
kranky wrote:the monster mash isn't actually halloween specific and is just a monster party that could happen at any time.
Kevin McCallister

Postby southpaw » Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:14 am

Took a large dosage of weed tincture and wandered the streets listening to this album at 1:45am last night.

You might expect a review of some sort, instead, I just recommend you try it.
southpaw

Postby poffdl » Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:26 am

i'm just kinda tired of their electronic stuff, especially if all they're gonna do now is jump trends.

highly disagree that the early stuff is more minimalistic. spirit's probably their busiest album, and hcti and sung tongs always sounded "explosive" to me whereas feels and mpp sound more "enclosed." i don't really think in terms of "texture," but if i did, the latter two still wouldn't win since they're just big blurs.
poffdl

Postby mego » Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:38 am

new avey is great. and the current AC sound is wayyyy better than their older stuff imo. basically i i didn't like sung tongs --> strawberry jam much at all but really like their early stuff and recent stuff.

i wouldn't say they are jumping on trends either. they are maybe adopting some newer sounds but they are taking them in directions nobody else is.
mego

Postby internethandle » Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:00 am

this is pretty dull to me after a few listens.
internethandle
ok

Postby mego » Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:59 am

after 2 listens this is my 2nd fave AC related release after MPP. the actual ideas here are just as good or perhaps even better than MPP but it lacks the attention to detail MPP had. in many cases the stripped back approach actually makes the tracks better (particularly on Ghost of Books which is my fave at the moment) but then there's other tracks that sound a bit too rushed and/or filler. but that's only the case with 2-3 tracks and there's a chance i'll grow to like those.

after hearing this i actually think it would be best for avey if he stopped being in animal collective and focused on solo stuff. or at the very least spent another couple of years or so doing solo stuff. i'd definitely prefer to hear another avey solo album, one where he spent a solid year away from panda and made it his #1 priority rather than some side project, (asuming that this album was a side project) than another AC one
mego

Postby kid_chameleon » Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:13 am

Guffaw wrote:imagine if Deakin's album blows this and tomboy out of the water

from the live stuff i've heard it's probably going to suck, but it seems like an album is really far away from even being recorded...anyway, the sounds going on in cemeteries are great. really lovin this album but it does feel like tons of layers with sketches of songs at times. (not a terrible thing)
kid_chameleon

Postby CudNylon » Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:29 am

finally listened to this. by the middle i had gotten the jist and spent the rest of the album waiting to hear "lucky 1" so i would know it was almost over. i would describe it as "great ideas that he didn't take the time to make into great songs". the beginning of each song would get me pumped but then nothing happened. i usually prefer bass but found myself wishing for some treble. i liked a few parts and the calm song during the second half was nice but in the context of the album doesn't work. i also wish there were more piano parts like near the beginning. i'll give this another listen when i can get high and hopefully what he was trying to accomplish will click with me.

oh well, there is still the darkstar album.
CudNylon

Postby starttomelt » Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:30 am

CudNylon wrote:"great ideas that he didn't take the time to make into great songs"

/thread
leila came round and we watched a video.
starttomelt

Postby BIGBIGBONES » Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:20 am

starttomelt wrote:
CudNylon wrote:"great ideas that he didn't take the time to make into great songs"

/thread

I'm nearly finished listening to this album for the first time and I think that description is very accurate. There are so many cool sounds in this record but he didn't put forth the effort to mold them into memorable hooks or melodies.
BIGBIGBONES

Postby swag motherfucker » Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:24 am

crystal.migraine wrote:i rather listen to the new zach hill. way more interesting.

lol
swag motherfucker

Postby mego » Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:45 am

i really like the fact that a lot of these tracks aren't fully formed songs. and it's good to have some focus on sounds rather than panda melodies getting in the way.
mego

Postby adamtrask » Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:24 pm

I actually think there are plenty of memorable melodies on this album. But I've always been a fan of Avey's stuff, so, there's that.
Stuntman wrote:The party's over and we're just the people who are too drunk to drive home and everyone is fighting over who gets to sleep on the couch.
adamtrask
funny boy #1

Postby Kevin McCallister » Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:31 pm

I find it kind of upsetting that some of you (one of you) feel that a song is empty without memorable hooks. Who are you? Casey Kasem?
kranky wrote:the monster mash isn't actually halloween specific and is just a monster party that could happen at any time.
Kevin McCallister

Postby kid_chameleon » Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:47 pm

does track two remind anyone of christmas?
kid_chameleon

Postby gold and glass » Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:51 pm

Kevin McCallister wrote:I find it kind of upsetting that some of you (one of you) feel that a song is empty without memorable hooks. Who are you? Casey Kasem?

lol
fuck you and your corporation
gold and glass
ok

Postby Contristo » Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:02 pm

this album is good and "Ghost of Books" is an awesome song
Contristo

Postby doc shivers » Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:21 pm

no chance, he's a no talent hack who tried using his little bit of fame to get people to fund his vacation to africa.
doc shivers

Postby Jerry Lundegaard » Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:49 pm

halfway through this album so far and my first reaction is that most of these songs would benefit from panda bear being on them.

it seems like they're missing something, and that may or may not be it.
Jerry Lundegaard

Postby Contristo » Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:53 pm

doc shivers wrote:

no chance, he's a no talent hack who tried using his little bit of fame to get people to fund his vacation to africa.

yeah deakin is fucking pathetic. anyone who's been around this egotistical idiot for two minutes can say as much, even without knowing about his little african vacation stint. dude wears horrible sweaters too. i would actually want to see him attempt to make a solo album. maybe it would be bad enough convince AC to dispose of him

i mean if geologist put out an album it might be interesting, albeit a bit pretentious probably but still fun. if deakin wasn't childhood friends with the band he wouldn't even be in it
Contristo

Postby Bob McAdoo » Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:47 pm

Jerry Lundegaard wrote:halfway through this album so far and my first reaction is that most of these songs would benefit from panda bear being on them. it seems like they're missing something, and that may or may not be it.

So you basically want a new Animal Collective album.
His standup was so fucking bro'd out and he had like 20 minutes of material that hinged on the audience having seen Grandma's boy.
Bob McAdoo

Postby Kevin McCallister » Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:48 pm

He just finished a tour, didn't he?
Did anybody see him? I have no idea what his solo work sounds like.
Kevin McCallister

Postby CudNylon » Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:36 pm

he says the tour was the songs at their earliest stage and some of the lyrics were even improvised but there you go. there are a bunch of other videos online.

here's some more: http://www.vimeo.com/10859110
you get the idea.
CudNylon

Postby wyatt » Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:45 pm

Kevin McCallister wrote:He just finished a tour, didn't he?
Did anybody see him? I have no idea what his solo work sounds like.

i am seeing him with deerhunter in november.
wyatt

Postby joe bitch tv » Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:47 pm

Heads Hammock rules
joe bitch tv

Postby internethandle » Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:58 pm

Kevin McCallister wrote:I find it kind of upsetting that some of you (one of you) feel that a song is empty without memorable hooks. Who are you? Casey Kasem?

lololol
internethandle
ok

Postby Jerry Lundegaard » Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:17 pm

Bob McAdoo wrote:
Jerry Lundegaard wrote:halfway through this album so far and my first reaction is that most of these songs would benefit from panda bear being on them. it seems like they're missing something, and that may or may not be it.

So you basically want a new Animal Collective album.

i was moreso reiterating the sentiment of the thread about how these songs don't feel fully fleshed out. it has less to do with panda bear and more about how these songs are missing things that panda bear provides for AC songs, such as a nice beat and some ethereal tenor vocals.

but i usually prefer panda bear tracks to avey tracks, so there is that.
Jerry Lundegaard

Postby thebes chumpion » Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:36 pm

i saw Ac on the feels tour when i was like 15 and hardly knew them, fucking hated deakin on site fuck the guy
i like football, cheap beer, nice cars, polo shirts and getting laid
thebes chumpion

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....