Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby Ersaph » Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:44 pm

I'm really coming around on this record.

It sounds like Polvo crossed with the Walkmen.
And I feel like this year is really about, just the year of realizing stuff.
Ersaph

Postby echoesmyron » Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:45 pm

i dont like what they did with the vocal production, but otherwise its one of my favorites from this year
“ 'I’m Fred Durst…'
I was caught for a moment in the sea that was his eyes. Crystal blue, piercing through me and making me want him. I could smell the power oozing from his pores, and I was so turned on, I knew I’d need a shower after this encounter."
echoesmyron

Postby Murgatroid » Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:04 pm

inevitable "Ersaph likes women" post
Murgatroid

Postby gordie blue eyes » Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:05 pm

yeah the vocals make me want to hate it but i have it admit i think it's pretty good
gordie blue eyes
Reclining in the sky on a cloud with silver lining

Postby dog liver » Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:08 pm

really enjoyable album. took me a couple of listens

narrow with the hall and locust valley are my faves. the last song kills too
Last edited by dog liver on Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dog liver

Postby fux school punx rule » Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:09 pm

eyesore is really good. most of the songs are boring or their "guitar interplay" ruins them but the production is really great throughout.
Brett wrote:best pizza in the triangle is lilly's pizza on glenwood ave. fuck with it
fux school punx rule

Postby Ersaph » Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:11 pm

The vocal production was what prevented me from liking it at first too, but I'm way into it now.

"Eyesore" is the best song, and the best album closer of the year.
Ersaph

Postby gold and glass » Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:12 pm

Yeah they have my favorite production but the songs on this one didn't really do much for me
fuck you and your corporation
gold and glass
ok

Postby Ersaph » Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:16 pm

gold and glass wrote:Yeah they have my favorite production but the songs on this one didn't really do much for me

They seem to be way more into the motortik, call-and-response sort-of guitar interplay on this one than they were on their debut (which I loved, and sounded to me mostly like lovely/shambling scraps of guitar chaos that somehow coalesced into songs).

In other words, they sound much more regimented now.
Ersaph

Postby Evil Urges » Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:19 pm

I really cant get into this record, i listened to it about 3 times and wasn't feeling it at all.
Ersaph wrote:I want my balls to scrape against the ground when I walk like the fists of a neanderthal.
Evil Urges

Postby Ersaph » Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:20 pm

Evil Urges wrote:I really cant get into this record, i listened to it about 3 times and wasn't feeling it at all.

I think the album reveals itself if you listen to it on Shuffle, rather than all the way straight through.

Why? I really can't say.
Ersaph

Postby The Emperor's Son » Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:35 pm

the songs aren't really there but i like how it sounds a lot so it works well in the background
The Emperor's Son

Postby ecabney » Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:14 pm

I think it's better than the debut
ecabney

Postby joymonger » Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:22 pm

"eyesore" is definitely a highlight, but i don't think anything touches "black rice" or "shaking hand."

that being said, public strain is consistently good. i didn't like it much at first, but it's a grower.
joymonger

Postby Ersaph » Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:25 pm

joymonger wrote:"eyesore" is definitely a highlight, but i don't think anything touches "black rice" or "shaking hand."

that being said, public strain is consistently good. i didn't like it much at first, but it's a grower.

I agree with this. "Black Rice" is actually the standard by which I rate all of their other songs. But they're definitely one of the best straight-up 'indie rock' bands going right now.
Ersaph

Postby MikeS » Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:30 pm

Love this album. I think the vocal production is great, you can tell he's not a strong singer so with out the way it is i think he would of sounded pretty bland.
MikeS

Postby joymonger » Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:35 pm

would you call them straight up indie rock though? i'd say a band like broken social scene or spoon is straight up indie rock. women, even though they've toned it down a bit in public strain, still have a bit of the noise or lo-fi tendencies.
joymonger

Postby Ersaph » Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:41 pm

joymonger wrote:would you call them straight up indie rock though? i'd say a band like broken social scene or spoon is straight up indie rock. women, even though they've toned it down a bit in public strain, still have a bit of the noise or lo-fi tendencies.

I dunno, like I said earlier, they remind me a lot of Polvo and the Walkmen, and those are two of the most 'traditional' indie rock bands I know. Though obviously, 'indie rock' is a fairly broad genre and easily allows for a great diversity of styles/variances.
Ersaph

Postby MikeS » Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:42 pm

joymonger wrote:would you call them straight up indie rock though? still have a bit of the noise or lo-fi tendencies.

no. and yes
MikeS

Postby genghis sean » Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:32 pm

one of the years' best.

"drag open" doesn't get enough love - although it's not nearly as good on the album as it is live. it used to be named "diamond boy", shoulda kept that name.
genghis sean

Postby Ersaph » Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:12 am

genghis sean wrote:one of the years' best.

"drag open" doesn't get enough love - although it's not nearly as good on the album as it is live. it used to be named "diamond boy", shoulda kept that name.

Didn't know that, RE: "Diamond Boy," though I think "Drag Open" is definitely a good title and one of the best songs on the album.
Ersaph

Postby Clell Tickle » Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:28 am

better than the debut for sure
Clell Tickle

Postby hey look » Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:24 pm

i want to talk about this again for a minute.

I loved their debut initially. I still think it's very good and pretty fresh sounding, but I'm not really feeling this one after 3 listens since it has leaked. I guess I don't really know what to love - but there just doesn't seem to be ANY pop elements in it, and those slight ones on the debut were really what sealed it for me. i don't know if i have a bad rip, or what. there are some interesting sounds - but the songs just don't really seem to go anywhere?

honest question because i enjoy this band and want to keep trying this record.
hey look

Postby joymonger » Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:04 am

i dunno man. s/t still kicks ass and this one is like a slow burnnnn, then eyesore kicks in and it's awesome.
joymonger

Postby The Emperor's Son » Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:49 am

too bad eyesore is the last song
The Emperor's Son

Postby black sandwich » Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:53 am

the first album was all about highlights, black rice and shaking hand. this album is so much more consistent and the slow jams are actually where it's at. let's hear it for penal colony and narrow with the hall.
black sandwich

Postby Murgatroid » Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:58 am

agreed
Murgatroid

Postby Mr Spaceship » Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:45 am

Narrow With the Hall sounds like a Yellow Swans' song set to 60s pop. Album is a winner.
Mr Spaceship

Postby Genius Sir » Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:49 am

Favourite thing this year, ticks all of my boxes.
The début was one of my favourites of the past 10 years or whatever but I think Public Strain is stronger, so many fucking great tracks.
China Steps is probably my most listened to track this year overall and the way Eyesore moseys off into the sunset is pure bonerz.
I agree with Genghis Sean about Drag Open being so much better live but the whole album is, my gush when Heat Distraction kicked in all huge was palpable.
Can't you see?
that's my leg not my dick
Genius Sir

Postby SynthesizerPatel » Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:49 am

pretty good album. Like most, I too think Eyesore is the best song. While it may not be amazing, it seems pretty underrated.
SynthesizerPatel

Next

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....