Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby No Not Now » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:42 pm

Yeesh the new song is boring.

Still excited for the album and another opportunity to see them live tho!
bongo wrote:anyone else wake up today and immediately scream into a banjo
No Not Now

Postby joymonger » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:55 pm

ripersnifle wrote:i feel like there's a post to be made re the divergent arcs/sonics of VC/Preoccs and Cindy Lee but im on my phone rn

basically, do you think this is even the music that Preoccs want to make at this point? or, due to having some stature in the "hype economy"/indie label infrastructure (far more than CL, which has courted obscurity wilfully), are there compromises being made wrt these projects? or is this just my sad way of trying to rationalize Preoccs making bad/toothless music in comparison to CL, which is probably one of my favourite working projects?

once you get a taste of that jagjaguwar $$$...

toothless is entirely correct. it becomes obvious which part of women cared about creating unique art, and which part enjoyed being a successful musician. hard to blame preocc, especially if it keeps working for them, but man, that song was boring.
joymonger

Postby joymonger » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:06 pm

we're extra hard on this band because they will forever live in the shadow of women. we're the bubble that will measure everything they do up to "eyesore," only to be disappointed. but they don't care about the bubble.

pat creates for pat. preocc creates for the intention of widespread success.
joymonger

Postby antoine » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:16 pm

Feel like widespread success might be stretching it a bit. I saw them when they were touring the last album in a church basement with like 50 people in the crowd.
antoine

Postby antoine » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:21 pm

I left at like minute 20 of the noise coda of "Death".
antoine

Postby draw » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:21 pm

Also there are like 8 indie buzz bands with Women's sound so I don't think it was a purely profit-motivated move to abandon it.
draw

Postby walt whitman » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:42 pm

joymonger wrote:we're extra hard on this band because they will forever live in the shadow of women. we're the bubble that will measure everything they do up to "eyesore," only to be disappointed. but they don't care about the bubble.

pat creates for pat. preocc creates for the intention of widespread success.

dont ask me to explain why but women was the last hope for rock n roll
walt whitman

Postby mead » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:15 am

draw wrote:Also there are like 8 indie buzz bands with Women's sound so I don't think it was a purely profit-motivated move to abandon it.

an applicable point, i mean for years there was a concentrated surge of women mimics from calgary alone - but for every 8 acts that marry a little noise with intricate licks there must be multitudes of musty synth-padded acts that share DNA with preoccs, which is why that particular theory doesn't sound that far off
mead

Postby Grumby » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:56 am

i think the new bands like jons and palms aren't really clones, just influenced. and they're a lot funner to listen too than preocc for me.
Grumby

Postby ripersnifle » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:24 am

Grumby wrote:i think the new bands like jons and palms aren't really clones, just influenced. and they're a lot funner to listen too than preocc for me.
yeah
steakspoon wrote:sorry if sounds corny fellas but i'll always remember where i was when i heard my first big star song..the internet.
Totally wrote:also to the really creepily obsessed kid frothing NON-US SPORTS GEAR IS A COMPLEXITY-SIGNALING DEVICE FOR AGEING HIPSTER ACOLYTES WHO DOWNLOAD MOANA: I have a lot of friends (and an apartment) in Geelong. Get a fuckin life man.
ripersnifle

Postby ripersnifle » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:40 am

antoine wrote:Feel like widespread success might be stretching it a bit. I saw them when they were touring the last album in a church basement with like 50 people in the crowd.
this is true, but the Preoccs material just feels like it's aiming for a broader audience (than even they rly want?) or something like that.
there's probably no way i could rly quantify or corroborate that, but just like what they're cribbing from influence-wise feels less interesting/more obvious, to me.
steakspoon wrote:sorry if sounds corny fellas but i'll always remember where i was when i heard my first big star song..the internet.
Totally wrote:also to the really creepily obsessed kid frothing NON-US SPORTS GEAR IS A COMPLEXITY-SIGNALING DEVICE FOR AGEING HIPSTER ACOLYTES WHO DOWNLOAD MOANA: I have a lot of friends (and an apartment) in Geelong. Get a fuckin life man.
ripersnifle

Postby mead » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:32 am

oh and totally I agree with you guys

above I was referring to the whole "profit-motivated move" thing but seeing now that it reads somewhat ambiguously
mead

Postby antoine » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:03 pm

ripersnifle wrote:
antoine wrote:Feel like widespread success might be stretching it a bit. I saw them when they were touring the last album in a church basement with like 50 people in the crowd.
this is true, but the Preoccs material just feels like it's aiming for a broader audience (than even they rly want?) or something like that.
there's probably no way i could rly quantify or corroborate that, but just like what they're cribbing from influence-wise feels less interesting/more obvious, to me.

Yeah its definitely less interesting than something like this from cassette. I kinda wish they'd kept following this kinda 60's pop crossed with math/post rock vibe but then again maybe theyd just be another Mac Demarco then. I dunno. Viet Cong was a good middle ground.

antoine

Postby ripersnifle » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:13 pm

there was so much energy to the playing on Cassette in comparison to the new stuff that just sounds antiseptic/that it's had the air sucked out of it in recoding.
i dunno tho maybe that's what they're going for.
ripersnifle

Postby gandhi » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:41 pm

Wish this didn't totally suck
gandhi

Postby Ici Aussi! » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:36 pm

ripersnifle wrote:i feel like there's a post to be made re the divergent arcs/sonics of VC/Preoccs and Cindy Lee but im on my phone rn

basically, do you think this is even the music that Preoccs want to make at this point? or, due to having some stature in the "hype economy"/indie label infrastructure (far more than CL, which has courted obscurity wilfully), are there compromises being made wrt these projects? or is this just my sad way of trying to rationalize Preoccs making bad/toothless music in comparison to CL, which is probably one of my favourite working projects?

Not to shift the conversation away from that offensive Pre-occ single, but I want to touch on what you said about CL being "willfully" obscure.

I think that all of us can admit that loving an obscure artist is way more fun than loving a popular artist. Small shows, less separation between the artist and the audience, dedicated fans and that feeling like you're in on a secret -- it's fun! On the other hand, it is nice to see an artist gain a certain degree of popularity because it means they can make a reasonable living off of their art, and of course for some artists the goal is to reach as many people as possible, which is something we can't deny an artist just because it's more fun for us if they are obscure.

It's surprising to me that CL has managed to completely avoid any p4k press, especially given that he was the front man of a buzz band that in retrospect had a huge influence on the indie scene. I'm not surprised they didn't touch Tatlashea. Maybe the limited releases of AoT and Malenkost prevented p4k from touching those. But now with Superior Viaduct involved and a new album on the way, he will probably get alot more press.

Back to the "willfully" obscure. I wonder how much of the heavy noise/abstraction of CL's music is a conscious rejection of popularity. I am not in any way saying there isn't any artistic merit to those noisy tracks, or that he's doing it purely as a reaction to having been through the buzz band machine. I love those tracks, and the way they make the poppier songs jump out is integral to his sound. I think what I'm trying to say is that he is so talented at writing those pop songs that he could really be as popular as he wants, and I'm curious to see what direction he chooses to goes in with the new album.
Ici Aussi!

Postby ripersnifle » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:55 pm

antoine wrote:I left at like minute 20 of the noise coda of "Death".
this made me lol also i just wanted to say
ripersnifle

Postby ripersnifle » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:14 pm

great post, Ici.
(damnit the board has been too good this week and im getting so little done)

the noisier side to CL is so integral to the power of the material to me, as well, even to the extent that, while barely listening to Malenkost in full ever, i still acknowledge the need for it to exist(?) god i sound like such a fanboy there. (i just noticed the other day that the SV reissue includes "a message..." which i am happy about bc it's nice to have another pop song on the tracklist).

im rly excited for whatever the new stuff is gonna be like. also interested (tho slightly on edge, for maybe those slightly embarrassing protective reasons you allude to) wrt how the hype economy might receive it.
i have no evidence to support this rly, but i have always felt that Pat's decisions wrt how he pursued the CL project (tape releases, small pressings, limited live shows, geocities website) were somewhat in response to going thru the blogosphere Indie Guitar Music hype cycle meat grinder. Women were playing so many live dates in 09-10 iirc.
does that same ecosystem even exist anymore tho and, if so, does Pat even want any part of it? i don't know.
ripersnifle

Postby ripersnifle » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:16 pm

(i should say, re my post - Pat hasn't been able to tour the US for several years tho due to a visa problem, i believe, which has also impacted the scarcity of live appearances)
ripersnifle

Postby ripersnifle » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:19 pm

i think what i was trying to get at is
post-Women:
you have Pat doing what i described above for whatever his specific reasons might be.
but then you have VC/Preoccs basically trying to resume Women's broken trajectory within the same (changed, i think i'd argue) ecosystem.
ripersnifle

Postby ripersnifle » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:20 pm

it's funny to think about ""black rice" being a Blog Hit
ripersnifle

Postby ripersnifle » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:25 pm

god the s/t is a decade old this year jfc
ripersnifle

Postby Ici Aussi! » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:41 pm

Yeah I guess my post was about that slightly-on edge feeling you mentioned.

It's weird to feel protective of an artist. I'm just a fan. I have no ownership over his work, and it seems so selfish and stupid to say "I don't want this artist to get more accessible or more popular". And yet I that's how I feel. Fanboy problems.

Having said that, I have no doubt the next album will be great no matter what the public reaction (if there even is a reaction).
Ici Aussi!

Postby Grumby » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:59 pm

ripersnifle wrote:god the s/t is a decade old this year jfc

such a good album. just as a sonic experience or whatever. it's so creative and fun on nearly every track. "shaking hand" stands out though. it's like prog-fugazi-television and just blows my mind, plus the ambient outro shit towards the end. amazing track.
Grumby

Postby Grumby » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:39 pm

it's also funny since like these guys were involved in the technical post-hardcore/skramz kind of scene with Veritas and then they got different tastes and made an indie rock album. again, it seems like something that only could have happened in that moment.
Grumby

Postby ripersnifle » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:50 pm

Grumby wrote:it's also funny since like these guys were involved in the technical post-hardcore/skramz kind of scene with Veritas and then they got different tastes and made an indie rock album. again, it seems like something that only could have happened in that moment.
completely
ripersnifle

Postby No Not Now » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:22 pm

New Chris Reimer collection this spring.
https://chrisreimer.bandcamp.com/album/hello-people
Late last year, it was revealed an unreleased double album from late Women guitarist Chris Reimer would see the light of day in 2018. Now, the complete set of details behind the effort have been shared.

Titled Hello People, the collection of 15 tracks will see release April 19 through Flemish Eye, with all proceeds set to go to the Chris Reimer Legacy Fund Society. Funds were raised for the album last year through an auction.

Hello People was completed by Reimer’s family and close friends, who filtered through his catalogue of recorded work to select 15 songs ranging from four-track recordings to phone demos. These include what a press release call “ambient guitar­ pedal soundscapes, to delicate acoustic melody and all the way to drone noise experimentation.”

Read through the tracklist to hear “Waving Goodbye from a Tree” in the player below.

You can pre-order Hello People as a 2-LP over here.

Following Reimer’s passing in 2012, he was the subject of the animated tribute film Dude, That’s Insane and The Chad Tape was posthumously released in 2012.

Hello People:

1. French Death
2. The Lady Forgot Her Purse
3. Beneluxx
4. Some Damn List
5. Mustard Gas
6. About
7. Waving Goodbye From a Tree
8. Malchhovish
9. Old Simple I
10. Old Simple II
11. Wallpaper 4 (rvs bullfight)
12. Arpeg
13. Kal (Loves His Children)
14. Hongdi
15. Wallpaper 6 (Extenze Edit)
bongo wrote:anyone else wake up today and immediately scream into a banjo
No Not Now

Postby ripersnifle » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:41 pm

new Palm single giving me some Women vibes
ripersnifle

Postby ripersnifle » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:44 pm

it almost feels like the guitar part running underneath at ~2:39 is quoting a Women part ("eyesore"?)
ripersnifle

Postby SabreFancS » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:48 pm

I know y'all want a second coming of Women but I hear much more Animal Collective in a song like Composite than I hear of Women....

SabreFancS

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....