Pro Wrestling: the thread

Let's talk Aguachile Alley

Postby 58769 » Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:39 pm

fun start to the njpw show

Postby buriedinspace » Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:21 pm

Marty and Will was a heck of a match. The finishing sequence was... too much, but mostly in a good way.
ratbags wrote:you're like a wistful naive idiot version of bill simmons

(they/them, fwiw)

buriedinspace

Postby buriedinspace » Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:18 am

King of Pro Wrestling card is shaping up.

Cody/Omega/Ibushi
Tanahashi/White
KUSHIDA/Scurll
ZSJ/EVIL
Cobb/Goto

And that still leaves Naito, Okada, Suzuki and others without a match, so plenty of cool stuff could yet to be announced.

(they/them, fwiw)

buriedinspace

Postby 58769 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:41 am

slammed the tab shut when cody made it triple threat. there's a limit to njpw's credit and between this and the Intercontinental Title disappearing....

Postby buriedinspace » Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:46 am

Kinda fascinated by the idea that Cody could double cross Kenny and win the title, which would work really well with the storyline and also be a good way to get to Omega/Ibushi at the Tokyo Dome - maybe Cody could even collect another title or two before the Dome?

But also, that's way more WWE storyline stuff than the general NJPW stuff, so I could understand the consternation.

(they/them, fwiw)

buriedinspace

Postby This Guy » Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:16 pm

Shawn Michaels is bald!

This Guy

Postby good_maritimes » Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:52 pm

it's hard to give a fuck about NJPW these days

good_maritimes

Postby buriedinspace » Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:25 am

good_maritimes wrote:it's hard to give a fuck about NJPW these days

...it is?

I think the last 6-9 months is the first time I've given a fuck about New Japan, or any Japanese or non-American wrestling organization in my life.

(they/them, fwiw)

buriedinspace

Postby lunatic96 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:41 am

it's pretty hilarious that the wwe is trying to hard to make becky lynch a heel, but the crowd just completely and utterly refuses to go for it. i almost feel bad for charlotte at times.

lunatic96

Postby shirts optional » Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:18 am

i love this pic of hugh morris

shirts optional

Postby Pris » Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:12 pm

"History about to be made... the world is watching!"

Pris

Postby Double McDouble » Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:45 pm

Cena is transforming into JBL
Double McDouble

Postby good_maritimes » Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:02 am

buriedinspace wrote:
good_maritimes wrote:it's hard to give a fuck about NJPW these days

...it is?

I think the last 6-9 months is the first time I've given a fuck about New Japan, or any Japanese or non-American wrestling organization in my life.

NJPW died with Shibata. now it's just some shitty Americanized indy with bloated half hour matches. idk. i'm down on wrestling in general.

good_maritimes

Postby 58769 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:34 am

i enjoyed njpw's king of pro wrestling show today. it was angle heavy show which addressed a few things that had basically been put on the backburner recently. it felt like it's back on track after the very long post-G1 hangover. i suppose the main thing i got out of it is that I'm firmly on board with Tana winning the belt at the Dome now. interested in how they use X

Postby Pris » Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:59 pm

I opened Instagram as I was watching the show just now and managed to ruin the main event and semi-main for myself. I liked the show. King of Pro Wrestling is always a big one.

Special shout out to ZSJ's facial expressions here.

Pris

Postby pinkerton » Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:44 pm

Good main event coming up. Shield vs Ziegler, McIntyre, Strowman

pinkerton

Postby buriedinspace » Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:14 pm

If Crown Jewel is cancelled, instead of it taking over Survivors Series, they should spread it out between SS and create an NXT/WWE Supershow with Takeover plus the World Cup and AJ/Bryan, just because a) means you don't have to scrap your SS plans and b) that sounds super fun

(they/them, fwiw)

buriedinspace

Postby Milk » Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:01 am

Finally caught up on WWE after falling behind by nearly a whole month.

Been very underwhelming as of late but the worst development is....what the fuck are they doing with Lio Rush? It was already a terrible idea to bring back Lashley and now that you realize nobody cares you think he needs the annoying mouthpiece? One that happens to be a great wrestler but that i feel nobody is gonna give a shit about if you keep making him that obnoxious. It-s so cringe worthy i want to plug my ears whenever he says anything Like seriously who is NOT wishing for Owens to shut him up and NOT wishing for Owens to win every single match against Lashley? Owen who incidentally deserves much better than he's been given as of late. But then again i think when Zayn got injured they were just too confused about what to do so they just mostly have him spinning wheels. I kinda like him being with Elias but it has shades of Jericho-Owens. It's like they can't have owens be alone. Mind you he DOES interact well with others so i dont know... Anyway, back to Lashley, I know they probably signed him to a good contract but fuck i wish they'd cut bait. I was thinking about how if they wanted a jacked up athletic black guy with no charisma they could have just given a push to Apollo Crews. At least it would be new.

lunatic96 wrote:it's pretty hilarious that the wwe is trying to hard to make becky lynch a heel, but the crowd just completely and utterly refuses to go for it. i almost feel bad for charlotte at times.

Yeah but she's not REALLY a heel but a tweener. You know because she has yet to shit on the crowd when they cheer her. IF they meant for her to be a true heel they'd have her do that. It is kinda bad for Charlotte though but charlotte like her dad is a natural heel. She shouldn't be face. They need to get these two away from one another in not too long. the saddest thing in the smackdown women division is what they're not doing with Asuka though.

anyway if i was any consistent with my principles i'd stop watching WWE. I tell myself since i stream it illegally it's kinda ok but it's still kinda not.
I must insist on being a pessimist, I'm a loner in a catastrophic mind

Milk

Postby Pris » Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:19 pm

Been watching a lot of late-era WCW. Through documentaties and YouTube clips I knew about the most infamous bad decisions, but watching the PPV's and Nitro's play out makes it all so much more insane. Like you just wanna yell at the TV. How they fucked up SO many angles and feuds is just beyond me.

It got a bit too much after the reboot with Jarrett as main event, so I decided to go back to 1989 and it's all so great. The Steiners were insane abd you've got Flair, Funk, Sting & Muta feudin'. Danny Spivey also rules.

Pris

Postby ero guro vidal (aka todd) » Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:52 pm

Pris, I tried that last year. It's like having ADHD. So many angles are playing out and dying without resolution at such an alarming rate. I remember getting hard into WCW again in late '99 because I was an 11 year old smark with internet and tracked things like Russo and Ferrara jumping ship. I was also a die-hard Bret fan, and it looked like they were really going with him. I even marked out for the nWo 2000 formation (even though it was incredibly ill-conceived and yet another attempt to revive a decidedly dead stable/brand which had become synonymous with the start of the company's decline at that point).

Returning back to that time was p perplexing. I mean, late '99 alone was such a shit show. Nash gives up the book. Hogan comes back and goes face with a return to the yellow and red. But, they don't have a good heel for him to work with, and he's not around long enough to do a sustained nostalgia run. The top heel is Sting in a turn no one wanted and that he's later admitted he had no interest in doing. Hogan/Sting doesn't do much business. Sid is brought in again as Goldberg returns and the start of the build for the program is p dece - Goldberg is the killer and Sid is the big hoss tearing through dudes and being positioned as the one guy big enough and bad enough to put Goldberg down. But, they do it for the U.S. Title and the feud falls apart quickly when Russo takes the book.

Bret comes back in the late fall with even more sympathy and goodwill than he had post-Montreal (he'd taken time off following Owen's death) and this time - unlike in '97 - WCW decides to parlay that into a main-event babyface push. Hogan's already out with that bullshit laydown finish with Sting and the title being put up. That was so dumb, but it lead to a Deadly Games-like tournament for Mayhem coming off that rad Bret/Benoit tribute match on Nitro. Bret goes all the way and got the title in Canada. But, like, they were so rudderless with Russo. He benched Hogan (I mean, Meltzer wrote that Hogan's return to red and yellow was getting some spikes in ratings for his segments, and that prolly couldn't have sustained itself for a good six months or so - not at the top, but near the top before channeling that into making another guy). He made Lex and Sting a heel duo. Jarrett quickly became a near-the-top guy (a place that didn't feel natural for him, as he's a good worker and a dece promo but was never a top guy). A bunch of stables were created to feud with each other: The Revolution (which was basically the Radicalz plus Shane Douglas - all the workrate guys), the Filthy Animals. Jericho leaves. The amount of Mexican and Japanese talent on the undercard dissipates.

Bret vs. Goldberg going into Starrcade actually felt like a mid-90s WWF feud. It was face vs. face. They build it with in a simple manner. Bret - in the midst of his triumphant return and a victory run - wins the belt in the Mayhem tournament. Goldberg is the killer who was done wrong and botched horribly, but they're attempting to rebuild. They're arguably the biggest faces at that time. Goldberg and Bret respect each other. Goldberg challenges him for the belt at Starrcade. They play up a friendly rivalry. The two win the tag belts together briefly. It was one of the few rivalries that wasn't immediately destroyed by overbooking and bullshit. But, then they inexplicably dislike each other to the point that the match at Starrcade has to be no-DQ, which is just a creative license for Russo to book this to be hot garbage with tons of run ins and ref bumps. And then there's a fuck finish leading to Bret's turn (and it's also where Bret gets the first of his series of concussions in the next few weeks that ends his career).

I was legit hyped for Goldberg/Bret as a kid. WCW was so fixated on replicating WWE's product at the time, and they needed to be something different. They couldn't beat them and regain ground being an imitation. Leaning into being a more streamlined, sports-driven product might have worked, and I feel like Bret and Goldberg as a simple program could have been the start. Two faces looking to prove who's better. Two guys with good stories going into it (Bret's feel good return run and Goldberg's redemption arc which included dispatching Sid decisively, taking the US Title and returning to the top). It also plays off the start of an angle between them from earlier in that year (Goldberg spearing Bret, only to find he has a metal plate under his jersey). If there was competent booking, you go with Goldberg (because, really, if you rehab him, he's still the biggest star at that point), and you take that time to create some challengers. You use Sting, Luger, Page as strong upper card guys who give the rub and can go in-and-out of the main, but mostly start helping build the next guys (something they should have done/been looking at back in '96; nWo should have always been a terminal angle with the upshot being that they're finally done away with by whoever's going to be your next big babyface for the coming five years). They didn't have a clear standout younger guy to really make at the time. But, like, Russo getting ousted the first time (well, he was going to be made one of a booking commitee with equal power, which didn't accord with him so he took a walk) lead to Kevin Sullivan as top booker, and he inherited a shit storm: shit angles from Russo, the two top guys they'd built around for the last two months getting injured (Goldberg and Bret), and no viable guys to plug in those spots with any momentum. In an effort to assuage criticism that he'd freeze out Benoit and the Revolution crew and to try and convince them to resign, he puts a rocket on Benoit, and makes Sid/Benoit the primary guys. Benoit gets the belt, but Eddie, Benoit, Dean and Saturn are still out, which leaves a huge hole in their midcard. So Sid becomes the defacto top face (despite being a heel) with a turn out of nowhere. He's paired against Nash and then Jarrett. WCW basically becomes WWF circa 1995 sans Bret and Shawn. Admittedly Sullivan kinda stabilizes the show and it becomes more coherent, but it's not particularly good and they go up against WWF at its hottest with Sid as your top fucking face.

I stopped watching WCW again after the Radicalz left b/c what was there? I jumped back in for the New Blood shit but left again. Like, when I think of WCW in late '99, I see, like, Brian Knobs and Fit Finley in camo, Normal Smiley as cruiserweight champ, Juvi smashing Jushin Liger with a dang tequila bottle, the Harris Brothers all over my t.v. and Goldberg smashing his arm through a limo.
https://www.patreon.com/agoodboy
https://letterboxd.com/SwampMeat/

Jim Belush Twitter wrote:@JimBelushi
Dec 29
Apparently, a lot of people think anime and cannabis go together. I guess I’m set!

ero guro vidal (aka todd)

Postby ero guro vidal (aka todd) » Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:01 pm

Really want to see the PWG show. Bummed that there's such a long turnaround time between when the show happens and when the dvds are available on High Spots. I buy the three BOLA discs every year and started buying the other shows on dvd recently. I legit love everything about this promotion: that their primary revenue streams are the old-school wrestling money-making channels. Like, they charge premiums for tickets with limited seating and a cult-like atmosphere that gets to participate in the festitivies. They do like ten shows a year that aren't televised live so they can get around non-competes for all the major indies and do a Best of the Indies with guys just going nuts and having great matches b/c that atmosphere and that crowd and the ability to work with guys you might otehrwise not be able to just brings out the best in everyone. And because they only do a finite amount of shows a year, they never burn out the small local crowd in Reseda. And they don't license the shows for streaming on High Spots until over a year later, and the dvds aren't availbe until about four months after a show, but they apparently make a lot of money from the dvds (which aren't really produced that much nor and done on the static hard cam shot and a few side shots).

Really want to see Jeff Cobb vs. Walter. Cobb was a dude who was really good but got lost in the shuffle in the U.S. indies last two years when it was ripe with all the dudes on the scene like his Chosen Bro Riddle, Ricochet, Cole, Keith Lee, etc. Scrull doesn't do as much PWG after getting the ROH exclusive in '16. ZSJ and Taylor are spending more time in Japan. These guys getting snatched up is a boon for Cobb. He's really getting some shine.
https://www.patreon.com/agoodboy
https://letterboxd.com/SwampMeat/

Jim Belush Twitter wrote:@JimBelushi
Dec 29
Apparently, a lot of people think anime and cannabis go together. I guess I’m set!

ero guro vidal (aka todd)

Postby This Guy » Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:18 pm

Wow

Damn, my daughter is crying

This Guy

Postby potentialgetawaydriver » Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:27 pm

That is absolutely shocking. All the best to him. Damn.

potentialgetawaydriver

Postby Shotfrog » Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:30 pm

Jesus.

Shotfrog

Postby REAL BASED SLOB » Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:50 pm

fuuuuuck, get well soon big dog
When John Walsh refers to criminals as cowards and creeps I just get more jacked

REAL BASED SLOB

Postby shirts optional » Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:04 pm

damn that's rough news, get well soon

if this won't get roman over nothing willToggle Spoiler

shirts optional

Postby Double McDouble » Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:28 pm

Sad :( Get well, big dog
Double McDouble

Postby Bartatua » Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:38 pm

ugh, that's awful
i broke somebody's ribs

Bartatua
Site Admin

Postby Mechanical bird » Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:22 pm

Can’t speak for the stuff in the middle which I mostly fAst forwarded through but the beginning and end of raw were something else
Also, I'm not hosebeast

Mechanical bird

Postby cool party » Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:41 pm

i hadn't watched for weeks but a friend told me about this and holy shit, wow

the previous diagnosis had never been disclosed in any medium, right?
cool party

PreviousNext

Return to Aguachile Alley