Pro Wrestling: the thread

Let's talk Aguachile Alley

Postby Jack Swagger » Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:34 am

I can't be the only one here who still watches.
What are you watching next Monday? TNA or Raw?

Jack Swagger

Postby regs » Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:38 am

the wrestler is on hbo right now
BlackSugar wrote:I'm knuckle-deep in little boy asshole several times a day

regs

Postby lunatic96 » Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:15 am

Smackdown is really the only worthwhile show to watch these days. Even Batista is somehow watchable on that show.

lunatic96

Postby sleeper » Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:21 am

the canadian film board has a really good documentary about brett hitman hart that i watched last night http://www.nfb.ca/film/hitman_hart_wrestling_with_shadows/#
sleeper

Postby lunatic96 » Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:30 am

He's gonna be on RAW next week. I can't decide if it's going to be a great 3 months, or if he still hasn't gotten over his ridiculous bitterness and it'll be a complete train-wreck.

lunatic96

Postby windfucker » Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:41 am

windfucker

Postby Jack Swagger » Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:47 am

Raw is a trainwreck. Too much failed comedy too much dx too much cena. Not enough Evan bourne. Smackdown is quality with morrisson and Rey being the most entertaining.

Ps. Maryse is a ten

Jack Swagger

Postby lunatic96 » Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:33 am

Also not enough Swagger and MVP. I still can't believe they decided to elevate Sheamus instead of half a dozen other better options.

lunatic96

Postby Jack Swagger » Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:35 am

Haven't you noticed McMahon loves big, tall, muscled men? Surprised Chris Masters isn't main event status right there with Sheamus.

Jack Swagger

Postby Jack Swagger » Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:42 am

After years of orton/cena/hhh I'm glad someone new is on top of raw. Sheamus isn't great yet but nothing terrible either. Rumor has it Sheamus became bff's with hhh. about a week after hearing that he moved to raw. Less than a month he gets a shot and wins. Moral of the story is to marry the boss' daughter or become friends with the guy who did

Jack Swagger

Postby bobble » Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:43 am

i'll cop to watching wrestling

mostly just tna though, it's hard to argue with styles/daniels/samoa joe/angle/nigel mcguinness

kinda lame bret is going back on the past 15 years or whatever of talk but monday should be absolutely wild and more than likely disappointing. i'll dvr them both.

bobble

Postby Jack Swagger » Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:50 am

TNA has some great homegrown talent. I feel the old wcw/nwo guys are holding them back.

Jack Swagger

Postby sleeper » Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:50 am

i haven't watched wrestling since i was a kid but watching the movie stoked my old memories. can someone give me a bret hart update?
sleeper

Postby lunatic96 » Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:18 am

Bret Hart got kicked in the head by Goldberg and had to retire. Then he got super bitter because he's still angry about the Montreal screwjob. It appears that Vince has thrown enough money at him for Hart to come back.

lunatic96

Postby lunatic96 » Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:20 am

I think the WWE should really look into pushing R-Truth. He's way more over than Sheamus ever has been, he's better in the ring, he can talk, and he's even fairly muscular.

I am posting way too much in this thread.

lunatic96

Postby ohmanohman » Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:34 am

i was a really big wrestling fan in middle school and freshman year of high school

i saw goldberg lose his first fight in dc and was nwo 4 life, red and black attack
starless wrote:i find this hard to believe but i am depressed too. my life is a fucking joke, i honestly have ZERO friends, all i do is go to work and come home and eat and sleep. i am insanely jealous of just about everyone for just about everything.

ohmanohman

Postby Pris » Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:45 am

The way they're bringing back Bret Hart is saying a lot about the WWE. Like we discussed in the other thread, it's yet again trying to tickle fans with nostalgia, which along with the boss feud, is one of the most played out things in wrestling right now.

Another problem is that they've announced him just like that, while a surprise return would've made for a shit-hot angle. In the last decade, I can only remember Matt Hardy attacking Edge, while no one knew he was back with the company, as a positive example. Triple H in 2002, Goldberg in 2003, these should've been the most memorable events in recent history, but then they just announced them, and they came in, predictably beating a random top star during the return interview.

It's frustrating, because with a few changes, the WWE could be really good.

Ditch the PG/no blood thing, Ditch DX and make either Shawn or Triple H a monster heel, make the matches less predictable by not having each one come down to the even-steven booking of finisher-reversal-finisher, kill ECW (they're going to), invest more in the tag division (okay, so they did this year), and push Jack Swagger, Ted Dibiase, Punk and Kofi.

They would be served well to look to Japan and Ring of Honor for some inspiration... everytime they do have a match in that style, like Benoit/Angle in 2003, it ends up on the match of the year lists... so why not go there? The general fans love it, and consistently showcasing matches where they let the guys go, with a less restricted moveset, realistic strong style, will attract a core audience group.

Pris

Postby Jack Swagger » Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:05 pm

Remember old WCW? When Nitro was on it's way down it was because the big name guys got comfortable and had too much power to be put in check. I feel the same has happened with the WWE's main eventers. WWE is at a low point right now and needs to pull a rabbit out of the hat in order to keep the audience around.

Jack Swagger

Postby The Worst » Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:33 pm

Sheamus is a fucking besat.

The Worst

Postby pissydan » Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:43 pm

Click here to find out more!
The Fabulous Forum
The who, what, where, when,
why — and why not — of L.A. sports

« Previous Post | The Fabulous Forum Home | Next Post »
Pro wrestler Steve 'Dr. Death' Williams dies
December 30, 2009 | 12:15 pm

Wrestlingobserver.com is reporting that pro wrestling star Steve "Dr. Death" Williams, who was considered one of the top wrestlers in the world during the late '80s and early '90s, has died after a lengthy battle with cancer.

Williams, 49, had been battling the disease for several years. He is probably best known for his tag team with Terry Gordy and was a major star in the '90s for All Japan Pro Wrestling.

Williams was also a lineman at Oklahoma and a four-time All-American heavyweight wrestler.
As life would have it, Johnny did somebody wrong and they filed a complaint.

pissydan
|ᵆ|>

Postby Pris » Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:49 pm

I was just going to post that... one of the best guys.

Depressing year for Japanese wrestling, they almost lost Kenta Kobashi as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYxsq96UiuY

So many Triple Crowners are dead already... Jumbo Tsuruta, Terry Gordy, Mitsuharu Misawa, Shinya Hashimoto
Last edited by Pris on Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pris

Postby Gnarls » Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:53 pm

Next on the death watch: Disco Inferno

Gnarls

Postby hocuscrocus » Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:54 pm

I used to watch WWf/WCW religously but haven't really cared for at least 5 years. I'll still catch Raw once in a while, but there's been nothing that interesting for so long. That being said I'm pretty optimistic to see what they do with Bret Hart so next Monday will probably be the first full Raw I'll watch for at least a couple years.

How can anyone take R-Truth seriously with that terrible rap he does on the way to the ring, though? It's so bad it actually me wish Cena went back to rapping and they had a battle.

hocuscrocus

Postby hocuscrocus » Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:56 pm

Steve Williams looked like such a badass. It was so disappointing to see when WWF tried to go MMA and did that real toughman tournament (I think they called it brawl for all?) and Steve Williams got knocked out. I think by Bart Gunn. If I remember right he won that whole thing and fought Butterbean at Wrestlemania.

hocuscrocus

Postby Pris » Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:00 pm

I suppose this makes Stan Hansen the new toughest dude around...

This video is Hansen just clotheslining the fuck out of Japan for 6 minutes.... or as they say LAAAARIAAATOOOUUUHHHHAAHHHH

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcc4gltns8E

Pris

Postby lunatic96 » Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:12 pm

hocuscrocus wrote:I used to watch WWf/WCW religously but haven't really cared for at least 5 years. I'll still catch Raw once in a while, but there's been nothing that interesting for so long. That being said I'm pretty optimistic to see what they do with Bret Hart so next Monday will probably be the first full Raw I'll watch for at least a couple years.

How can anyone take R-Truth seriously with that terrible rap he does on the way to the ring, though? It's so bad it actually me wish Cena went back to rapping and they had a battle.

If you thought the rapping was bad you should have seen the "pretty ricky" videos they had him doing a few months ago. His rapping might be terrible, but for the most part it gets him over with the audience and at least he's comfortable talking. If they were serious about pushing him he would probably stop, but he can't get pushed right now anyway because they're pushing Kofi, and I'm pretty sure McMahon has a one black wrestler push at at time rule in effect.

Raw is basically worthless these days, I think they had 15 minutes of matches last week.

lunatic96

Postby seriesfinale » Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:12 pm

Wrestling died with Rick Rude for me.

seriesfinale

Postby Pris » Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:19 pm

lunatic96 wrote: If they were serious about pushing him he would probably stop, but he can't get pushed right now anyway because they're pushing Kofi, and I'm pretty sure McMahon has a one black wrestler push at at time rule in effect.

Some time last year, Michael Hayes made a racist comment towards Mark Henry... at which point Vince freaked out and put the ECW belt on Henry, put the Intercontinental title on Kofi Kingston, and the US title on Shelton Benjamin.

Oh Vince... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WC6K7ZBVhSA
Last edited by Pris on Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pris

Postby Nacho Novo » Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:39 pm

Pris wrote:At some point last year, Michael Hayes made a racist comment towards Mark Henry...

"I'm more of a n----- than you are."

Nacho Novo

Postby Pris » Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:46 pm

Nacho Novo wrote:"I'm more of a n----- than you are."
[/img]

Reminded me of this clip... Slick & Akeem & Bossman on Arsenio Hall...(it seems like every posts I make in this thread is sponsored by Youtube)

Slick trying to convince Arsenio about Akeem... He a reeeeel Brottthaaa funniest thing ever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRpy1BwKcwU

Pris

Next

Return to Aguachile Alley