Pro Wrestling: the thread

The primary forum for general discussion of Hipinion.com

Postby Milk » Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:59 am

belgavin wrote:hey listen I liked the Reigns and Cena stuff on Raw

just watched this last night. Cena actually mentioned the 4th wall. It WAS unfortunate Reigns stumbled because other than that both had a good worked shoot promo. Can't help but feel that Cena tried to hurt Roman though. Which whatever cause it's Roman but i don't know. Can't help but feel they were going a bit too much for that Punk-HHH vibe though.

So i guess i wasn't wrong last week, Roode IS now a face. Which wtf. I mean it's true that people will cheer for him cause he's a heel you like but i don't know... i hope when they give him the mic he at least sounds like a heel. I also hope they're only having him bide his time until they put him in either title picture.

nothing much to say about SD other than please put Lana back with Rusev. What the hell is this? You REALLY think she can get Tamina over? I had to mute when she told tamina to crush it was so cringey. Lana as wrestler failed, fine, put her back with Rusev if she's gonna be doing the same thing she used to.
"I'm a quivering collection of the worst and least helpful emotions: fear, anxiety, terror, paranoia, indigestion, dishpan hands.."
Milk

Postby Bartatua » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:26 am

Am i to infer from that that tamina and lana are feuding? God that would be bad
i broke somebody's ribs
Bartatua

Postby buriedinspace » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:50 am

Bartatua wrote:Am i to infer from that that tamina and lana are feuding? God that would be bad

No, Lana is essentially managing Tamina. She has a secret plan to make her unstoppable or some bullshit.
I try to avoid enjoyable romps whenever I can. -Armond White
buriedinspace

Postby Milk » Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:01 am

I know it was lana's idea to wrestle but i feel like shes done herself irreparable damage . Her character sucked, her wrestling sucked, she lost shitload of momentum and now that Lana isnt so over anywhere they still think she is enough to get Tamina over as a manager or something. If they quickly abort now and put her back with rusev they can salvage her. Otherwise i think she's doomed.
"I'm a quivering collection of the worst and least helpful emotions: fear, anxiety, terror, paranoia, indigestion, dishpan hands.."
Milk

Postby Milk » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:30 am

anyone watching the Mae Young Classic?

Watched first ep yesterday. Pls use spoiler if you're gonna talk match results though, i know i could easily check it all online and know who won the tournament but this is no fun to me.

I was bummed they eliminated Jazzy in first round. Didn't know her but man i'd like to see her on main. Of course that would mean neither Tamina or Nya could be the beasts of the women division. But i guess it made more sense to let someone who already has a contract with them.

I'm assuming Shayna Baszler is supposed to make it far. Now this was a short match and it may not have been indicative of her usual matches and i hope so because...i thought she was terrible. She often seemed confused about what to do next and i just don't like bringing a MMA shoot looking style in wrestling. Just the way she moved and carried herself seemed all wrong for wrestling. This is not what i like to watch in wrestling, and there's a reason i don't watch MMA. Because it bores the shit out of me. If this is what we can expect from Ronda Rousey if she does wrestling, she need not bother.

So i haven't gotten there yet but considering in bracketology Candace Lerae did not in any way get elaborated upon, i'm assuming they don't have her under contract and that she's not going past the first round? Which would be weird considering i don't think i'm wrong in saying she is the most well known competitor in the tournament. Mind you they did give plenty of time and even an interview to Kay Lee Ray and nothing to Princesa and she walked out with the win. But that's possibly more because she doesn't speak english

It was nice that Serena Deeb got a "welcome back" chant. It was kinda touching. I like people getting second chances. Even though i doubt she makes it past round two.
Toggle Spoiler
Milk

Postby scurrydog » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:34 am

I assumed that the wwe was trying to stay away from anything putin related.
somewhere there's a fake me out there.
scurrydog
ok

Postby Milk » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:07 pm

ugh. Im so sold on Kari Saine after just one match. Like everyone else. Kinda "hate" how much the japanese can get away with.

SPOILERS AHEAD

But Tully's girl (or maybe i should say Magnum T.A's girl), i want to see her on main someday too. Like i KNOW they've already done the four horsewoman thing, but i'd like to see her and Charlotte get together. And also go. She clearly can. I guess it runs in the family. unlike Ellering's daughter who looked like shit in the ring...I dont know if it was lack of chemistry with Marti Belle, i personally think she's just green. At least i hope she is.

My favs in the winner so far are Kari (duh), Candace (duh), Rhea Ripley and Piper Niven. I guess Mia Yim too although i really wanted Crazy Mary to win.... Oh and i want to one day see Dakota Kai in a tag team with Bayley... Bayley should be scared, they seem to have someone else for the little girls now...

Women i'd like to see again in the losers. Jazzy Gabbert and, as mentioned, Tessa Blanchard.

Woman Vince probably will want to push like crazy, Lacey Evans. "What? she's ex navy? Oh i love it! ha! ha! and she's got that flag! We need to make that flag bigger!" Love when someone in the crowd did the Hacksaw "oooooh". Please don't tell me she wins this. No really don't tell me because i don't want spoilers. I mean she's ok in the ring and all, i don't hate her i just...don't care for the gimmick. BUT, it is new. Especially in the women.

Toni Storm will probably go far too if only because she's got the look. What is it with ozzie women anyway? I mean they're invading wrestling. You barely see any ozzie men out there.

This tourney IS kinda underwhelming so far match wise but they barely give them time in first round, probably tell them to be super safe (like seriously most matches seemed deliberately slow and "soft", like barely anyone really laid any move in, and i get it, worst thing to happen in a tournament format is for someone who won to be hurt). Plus clearly the more entertaining/good competitors are the ones to move on. Well..in general anyway. So it'll probably pick up next week.
Milk

Postby Brouhaha » Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:15 pm

just seasonal
Brouhaha

Postby Shotfrog » Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:44 pm

:D
Shotfrog

Postby potentialgetawaydriver » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:13 pm

Flipped on Raw. Say what you want about Enzo but he just got himself, Cedric Alexander, Gran Metallik, Dar, Tony Neese and Drew Gulak over with the crowd all in the span of 5 minutes.
potentialgetawaydriver

Postby This Guy » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:18 pm

Kids love Enzo
This Guy

Postby REAL BASED SLOB » Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:34 am

ended up going to that raw, fun show. glad to see a cage match
When John Walsh refers to criminals as cowards and creeps I just get more jacked
REAL BASED SLOB

Postby darkendofthestreet » Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:51 am

God the commentary for the MYC is so bad. There's this awful patronizing tone to everything, which really takes away from some of the great work in-ring.

On another note though, Rhea Ripley is a fucking superstar in the making. Just 20 years old and already so smooth, great facial expressions & selling too.
"Gogol Android"
darkendofthestreet

Postby hamilton » Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:44 pm

Seems like Bola went under the radar this year. Anyone hear anything about it? Any must see matches?
hamilton

Postby darkendofthestreet » Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:52 pm

Keith Lee vs Donovan Dijak is getting MOTY buzz already, Keith Lee vs WALTER too. Matt Riddle vs Jeff Cobb had another great match, and Flash Morgan Webster vs Marty Scurll seemed to blow a few people away too. Really excited to watch, despite being a little blown up with trying to stay on top of all the wrestling stuff the last few months.
"Gogol Android"
darkendofthestreet

Postby Bartatua » Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:58 pm

darkendofthestreet wrote:God the commentary for the MYC is so bad. There's this awful patronizing tone to everything, which really takes away from some of the great work in-ring.

On another note though, Rhea Ripley is a fucking superstar in the making. Just 20 years old and already so smooth, great facial expressions & selling too.

Yeah not just the commentary but the preshow and prematch video packages too

It has stephanie mcmahons dirty fingerprints all over it
i broke somebody's ribs
Bartatua

Postby oppositeburrito » Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:35 pm

Bartatua wrote:
darkendofthestreet wrote:God the commentary for the MYC is so bad. There's this awful patronizing tone to everything, which really takes away from some of the great work in-ring.

I think Dave mentioned they had to re-record about 85% of the commentary so I'm wondering if that's because it didn't have Steph's fingerprints all over it, or if it was just that bad at the get go.
oppositeburrito

Postby hamilton » Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:34 pm

darkendofthestreet wrote:Keith Lee vs Donovan Dijak is getting MOTY buzz already, Keith Lee vs WALTER too. Matt Riddle vs Jeff Cobb had another great match, and Flash Morgan Webster vs Marty Scurll seemed to blow a few people away too. Really excited to watch, despite being a little blown up with trying to stay on top of all the wrestling stuff the last few months.

Nice. Glad to see Dijak and Lee getting more and more exposure. Will have to check out some of the other matches as well. Kind of surprised Riddle didn't winToggle Spoiler.
hamilton

Postby Bartatua » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:14 pm

oppositeburrito wrote:

I think Dave mentioned they had to re-record about 85% of the commentary so I'm wondering if that's because it didn't have Steph's fingerprints all over it, or if it was just that bad at the get go.[/quote]

that's really amazing because 90% of lita's commentary output is "Wow!" and "Nice!"
i broke somebody's ribs
Bartatua

Postby buriedinspace » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:20 pm

oppositeburrito wrote:
Bartatua wrote:

I think Dave mentioned they had to re-record about 85% of the commentary so I'm wondering if that's because it didn't have Steph's fingerprints all over it, or if it was just that bad at the get go.

They redid all of the first night tapings commentary because it was somehow corrupted or somehow otherwise unusable, not for any quality concerns, per Dave, iirc
buriedinspace

Postby Shotfrog » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:47 pm

Vince is going to be on Smackdown next week.
Shotfrog

Postby buriedinspace » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:55 pm

Shotfrog wrote:Vince is going to be on Smackdown next week.

To 'address Kevin Owens' re: Shane attacking him and being suspended

Plus they advertised 3 title matches: AJ/Tye, New Day/Usos Streetfight and Naomi/Nattie and have it themed to 'Sin City Smackdown', so... seems like they're loading it up, for whatever reason.
buriedinspace

Postby darkendofthestreet » Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:33 am

Guessing it's gonna be the same taping as the final for the Mae Young Classic, so they want to have as many eyes on it as possible.
"Gogol Android"
darkendofthestreet

Postby buriedinspace » Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:50 am

5 way on 205 Live was a lot of fun. Surprisingly hot crowd for it, too.
buriedinspace

Postby miss black america » Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:07 am

buriedinspace wrote:
Shotfrog wrote:Vince is going to be on Smackdown next week.

To 'address Kevin Owens' re: Shane attacking him and being suspended

Plus they advertised 3 title matches: AJ/Tye, New Day/Usos Streetfight and Naomi/Nattie and have it themed to 'Sin City Smackdown', so... seems like they're loading it up, for whatever reason.

the next smackdown ppv isn't for another month so it's a stacked show to make up for it

which basically erases the point of having ppvs in the first place
hahaha mad me chuckle that
miss black america

Postby smelts » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:08 am

I feel like the Smackdown brand in particular has made it pretty clear over the last bunch of months that getting ratings for tv is the main objective and PPVs are far secondary

Why would Usos ever choose any kind of No DQ match against a 3 person tag team? That makes them look really dumb

Enjoying watching Cena come out and humiliate Reigns on a weekly basis, but could go a good long lifetime without having to hear either of these dudes talk about their junk ever again

Also hey NXT's good again! I guess it kinda has been for a while? I just jumped back on this week, really hope they do the new Horseman with Cole/Fish/Reilly and Strong turning heel with them, and yeah if Nigel was their JJ that would be amazing but seems less likely
smelts

Postby WAC » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:20 am

I can't wait to see Dijak vs. Keith Lee, I saw multiple people on Twitter who've been going to PWG for years call it one of the best matches in PWG history.

Dave Meltzer wrote:This match was insane. It was among the best matches of the year and it was the most acrobatic agility combined with power moves based big man's match I've ever seen. Fans were chanting "five-star match" and then "six-star match" when it was over.

Dijak is officially signed

He said ALOT of shit last night. And most of it WASN'T how he supported a fascist.
WAC

Postby Shotfrog » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:45 am

Dijak rules.
Shotfrog

Postby 58769 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:58 am

it's weird how he never worked pwg and then it turned out to be the location for his last indie matches. but whatever it's worked for him. he's got maximum hype going into wwe now. his tag match with lee is supposed to be the best match of N1 too.

Postby buriedinspace » Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:42 pm

Anthem is apparently hemorrhaging money and looking to sell GFW/TNA with WWE again coming up as a possible buyer.

Between wanting to see the better dudes in GFW in better situations and wanting to see the Hardyz able to use their gimmick, I'm rooting for WWE sale and shutdown, honestly. Let ROH and NJPW fill the void of the #2 promotion - not like Impact ever did anything positive with it anyway.
buriedinspace

PreviousNext

Return to Free-For-All