Pro Wrestling: the thread

The primary forum for general discussion of Hipinion.com

Postby Milk » Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:24 pm

where was that SD? I started it over again to see and it never said, not sure it was even mentioned on the air. Weird. I ask because that crowd was absolute shit. I mean in the sense that they had very little enthusiasm. I finally got to see what a Nakamura entrance without chant was like.

Can't fucking believe theyre building English on the back of Sami Zayn. Fuck that booking. It's been like over a year of reading people say that Zayn will always be over no matter what, i don't buy it. I was watching this and thinking i wanted Zayn to go to japan or something. WWE is never gonna have anything for him.

No Roode buy hey if its to have him squash the lower card, whatever. I mean him being portrayed as face now is dumb but i have little doubt that within couple of months he'll probably be in the WWE title picture. And win it at some point too (well some time next year). I do think that despite the lame beginnings on SD, they do want to use him right. Just get that title off Jinder and push him back down to mid card heel.

Still as annoyed as ever every fucking time Shane is in a storyline but hey, if getting Owens away from the US title scene was what we needed to finally see Dillinger not only get TV but actually be in a title scene, fine. Owens was great but this storyline is a bit dumb. With all the assaults we've seen in WWE before this seemed an extremely tame one to warrant a lawsuit and a suspension. But on the other hand i get that they can't have mcmahon beating someone up to a pulp with a foreign object. Still, whatever.
"I'm a quivering collection of the worst and least helpful emotions: fear, anxiety, terror, paranoia, indigestion, dishpan hands.."
Milk

Postby buriedinspace » Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:34 pm

Milk wrote:where was that SD? I started it over again to see and it never said, not sure it was even mentioned on the air. Weird. I ask because that crowd was absolute shit. I mean in the sense that they had very little enthusiasm. I finally got to see what a Nakamura entrance without chant was like.

Can't fucking believe theyre building English on the back of Sami Zayn. Fuck that booking. It's been like over a year of reading people say that Zayn will always be over no matter what, i don't buy it. I was watching this and thinking i wanted Zayn to go to japan or something. WWE is never gonna have anything for him.

No Roode buy hey if its to have him squash the lower card, whatever. I mean him being portrayed as face now is dumb but i have little doubt that within couple of months he'll probably be in the WWE title picture. And win it at some point too (well some time next year). I do think that despite the lame beginnings on SD, they do want to use him right. Just get that title off Jinder and push him back down to mid card heel.

Still as annoyed as ever every fucking time Shane is in a storyline but hey, if getting Owens away from the US title scene was what we needed to finally see Dillinger not only get TV but actually be in a title scene, fine. Owens was great but this storyline is a bit dumb. With all the assaults we've seen in WWE before this seemed an extremely tame one to warrant a lawsuit and a suspension. But on the other hand i get that they can't have mcmahon beating someone up to a pulp with a foreign object. Still, whatever.

Sioux Falls, the sort of market they go out of their way to not mention because, uh... Vince stuff.

Honestly, they were the hottest 205 Live crowd I've basically ever heard, so... *shrug*
I try to avoid enjoyable romps whenever I can. -Armond White
buriedinspace

Postby Bartatua » Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:31 am

They're building...aiden? English?
i broke somebody's ribs
Bartatua

Postby buriedinspace » Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:53 am

Bartatua wrote:They're building...aiden? English?

A little bit. I get the sense they may be building him for the sake of a) having an additional midcard heel, as they're a little weak on that and b) in order to give Sami Zayn something to do for a bit. I guess I could be wrong but while I think losing to someone who has seemed mostly like a job guy is... not ideal, they aren't meaning to bury Sami, in particular.
buriedinspace

Postby doomedhuh » Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:49 am

are they gonna bring back the winged eagle championship belt
doomedhuh
ok

Postby Milk » Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:44 am

buriedinspace wrote:
Bartatua wrote:They're building...aiden? English?

A little bit. I get the sense they may be building him for the sake of a) having an additional midcard heel, as they're a little weak on that and b) in order to give Sami Zayn something to do for a bit. I guess I could be wrong but while I think losing to someone who has seemed mostly like a job guy is... not ideal, they aren't meaning to bury Sami, in particular.

they dont MEAN to but they are still. It hurts him.

And yes i get that the idea is to make English a midcard heel and i thought about it last night and i DID have some difficulty coming up with someone they could use for this but fuck. Like losing to English because of Owens interference was completely fine but a straight win EVEN with a surprise roll-up, that's bad. Zayn needs to win this program in a very conclusive manner.

God....i remember how stupidly optimistic i was about Zayn when he got switched to SD....i was sure he was gonna be in A title picture...yeah so much for that.

I think they thought Kanellis might provide a good long term feud for him but they gave up on Kanellis like after two weeks.
"I'm a quivering collection of the worst and least helpful emotions: fear, anxiety, terror, paranoia, indigestion, dishpan hands.."
Milk

Postby buriedinspace » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:12 am

Yeah, I'm a big Zayn fan.

At this point, his best short term bet is to get a long, very good AJ open challenge and try to springboard off that or MAYBE they could manage to make a team with Tye top contenders.

Long term, I still think he could rebound into a good position.
buriedinspace

Postby potentialgetawaydriver » Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:24 am

AJ's run with the belt on SD was unbelievably good. Imagine full heel champion AJ in a blood feud with Sami. But we get...Jinder. WWE never fails to squander huge talent.
potentialgetawaydriver

Postby gargamel » Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:20 pm

I know it will never happen but my preferred program is champion nakamura gets to choose his next opponent, chooses sami, sami takes it on the re-match.
gargamel

Postby Milk » Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:09 pm

In a way as glad as i am to see Dillinger in the US title picture (if only probably very temporarily, they have zero intention of giving it to him for sure anyway obviously) I feel it should kinda more be Zayn's spot. And i still liked those guys as a team both times they teamed up but there's like 3 teams that matter on SD right now and they barely get enough time as is.

You know as short a show as SD is i'm really starting to think it has too big a roster. It's impossible to get everyone that matters on tv. And no i dont want a third hour. What it needs at the every least is no jinder (not happening now...), no hype bros and no Ziggler (i was gonna say no kanellis but that's already the case) oh yeah... AND NO FUCKING SHANE MCMAHON.

Think of the tv time he gets that could be used for anyone else that needs more of it. You get those guys out you already have more breathing room. Rusev should be your Jinder. Hype bros i guess get at the very least replaced by Zayn-Dillinger or something (not that hype bros gets tv time)... Roode gets Ziggler's tv time (btw aside form being cringey, who do they have in mind for Ziggler to feud with now? face Roode? feels like that would be following Nakamura's path too much) and Shane's time well...i dont know, i guess CAN be used by Zayn and Dillinger or something. Anything else by actual wrestlers youve got.

And I mean shouldnt all focus be on guys that are over too? You shouldn't be spending valuable time on main roster trying to get guys over. What i mean by that is...that's what NXT is for. You're wasting all this time trying to get Corbin over when you could have JUST left him on NXT to grow (and get over ideally...) which EVERYONE would agree he needed and be using right now people who are actually already over (and hence i imagine somewhat bringing you money) in his spot.

I think SD and Raw have the potential to be fantastic in five years time, after the ones that shouldnt have been there in the first place are gone (and a couple of old timers, though you always want SOME veteran and legacy talent around of course). And maybe when Vince is dead and doesn't get to call people to main on a whim because he caught a glimpse of them on NXT and thinks he can do something with them when they're not ready. They have ALL the signed talent to have a terrific back to back 5 hours of two main roster shows week in and week out, it's just not spread and used properly. Let's face it, the main issues are almost always the homegrown talent too. I think it's especially a vince thing to try to have someone built from the ground up in WWE. Who cares, the indies are taking care of making awesome performers, just pluck those. Stop trying with the Corbins, Romans and Crews of the world. I'd even add Enzo-Cass to this. Yes they were over, but they weren't ready ring wise. And now fuck knows how they will peter out into obsolescence
Last edited by Milk on Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Milk

Postby Milk » Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:10 pm

i hate when i intend to just write 3 lines and get myself "excited" into writing a whole page.
Milk

Postby Milk » Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:27 pm

just finished MYC. Didn't realise the final hadn't been fought yet.

i thought for sure after two rounds that the finalist would be Baszler and Storm. Classic heel look vs classic face look. Didn't figure they'd go with Sane. Thing though is while im pretty sure they'll have the face go over, in terms of believability and just...being an overall match, i don't think they are. Also, i said it and it hasnt changed, kinda hate Baslzer. Not only is that style boring but half the time she looked like she wasn't sure what she should do next...other than a leg kick. She by far had the worst matches imo (i'd got on Ellering's daughter case after her first match but she was fine in her second). So like just because she MMA legit background whatever. That's not in itself deserving of a good spot. This is not gonna make for a good match. I could be surprised by i don't think i will be.

I'd marked out a lot early on for Sane, Niven and Ripley. I was so so at first on Storm. I'm sold now. Her match with Niven was fun. I can definitely see her as a WWE champ in a few years. She's young, she's good at emoting, she's classically great looking and she can probably talk. Forget Royce and Kaye, Ripley and Storm is the aussie girls team i wanna see. She's got money written all over her. If 4 years from now she hasn't been a WWE women champ yet, something will have went very wrong. Same for Ripley too. Surprisingly for Niven, normally sizeable women are heels, she's not. Mind you i think if she was on the roster she'd likely be, but i'd like them to keep her a face if they're gonna work with her. The wrestling stereotype of big generally=bad is lame. And if you think about it, not a good image for kids. You're a big kid? Well i guess you're an asshole then!

The best matches weren't in the semi finals and they should have been. They had 46 mins for two matches. even Sane and Storm's was just ok. that crossbody though...could really have got injured bad on that. i LOVE the way Sane runs. With the exagerated arm movements. She has so much personality. She, of course, also has money written all over her but she has already been making some. She'll be a WWE champ before Storm.
Toggle Spoiler
Milk

Postby WAC » Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:38 am

WAC wrote:I can't wait to see Dijak vs. Keith Lee, I saw multiple people on Twitter who've been going to PWG for years call it one of the best matches in PWG history.

Dave Meltzer wrote:This match was insane. It was among the best matches of the year and it was the most acrobatic agility combined with power moves based big man's match I've ever seen. Fans were chanting "five-star match" and then "six-star match" when it was over.

Dijak is officially signed

Meltzer gave this one the full *****
He said ALOT of shit last night. And most of it WASN'T how he supported a fascist.
WAC

Postby miss black america » Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:47 am

Milk wrote:You know as short a show as SD is i'm really starting to think it has too big a roster. It's impossible to get everyone that matters on tv. And no i dont want a third hour. What it needs at the every least is no jinder (not happening now...), no hype bros and no Ziggler (i was gonna say no kanellis but that's already the case) oh yeah... AND NO FUCKING SHANE MCMAHON.

this is also a problem with raw because wwe insists on having feuding people just endlessly wrestle with each other in various combinations instead of having the competitors build the feud by wrestling the deeper parts of the roster

who cares about result of the shield vs the bar when ambros, rollins, cesaro and sheamus have wrestled each other for the past 6 weeks
hahaha mad me chuckle that
miss black america

Postby Bartatua » Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:02 am

Yes, you nailed it there
i broke somebody's ribs
Bartatua

Postby WAC » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:44 am

This week's Observer also mentioned in passing that Sami Callihan is supposed to start with NJPW some time in the fall. I guess he could be the guy from that teaser video they aired during the G1. He doesn't really make any sense to me as a fit in this company, though. I think he'd be a much better fit in a promotion like the current NOAH but his ring style and persona just don't really seem like something that would connect well in New Japan crowds.
He said ALOT of shit last night. And most of it WASN'T how he supported a fascist.
WAC

Postby 58769 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:07 am

oh man that's gonna suck

Postby dubs » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:27 pm

That final Cena drug test line :ryan:

I love that they've basically made this the same story as rock/cena but with reigns in cena's old spot.
dubs

Postby Shotfrog » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:43 pm

Vince is bleeding!
Shotfrog

Postby buriedinspace » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:54 pm

That was a heck of an angle. Up until the headbutt, it seemed like KO was getting buried a bit more than I'd preferred. But... jeez. I've heard that Vince had been told not to ever take another bump...
buriedinspace

Postby Double McDouble » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:04 pm

I've only seen the headbutt and can't wait to see the rest of the segment tomorrow. Wtf was Vince thinking taking that?
Double McDouble

Postby gambra » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:25 pm

He's 72 years old! Took a Shibata headbutt then a bug splash. The rest was obviously protected but fuck those two moves were insane for him to take.
THIS IMPACT WILL CONTROL ALL MARGINS

Scrumptious Justice 8-) wrote:man don't be mean to gambra
gambra

Postby buriedinspace » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:27 pm

MYC final was pretty good but I was hoping it'd be at least a little bit better, tbh.
buriedinspace

Postby Milk » Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:13 am

it wasnt gonna be because Baszler sucks. Called it. Actually though it was the best match she was in so far, it was obviously very written i'm sure. Most of the crowd clearly had no clue about the MYC or the competitors but at least they got into it towards the end. Kari is classic at getting the crowd to cheer for her. It's why she should go far unless of course main roster booking ruins her.

So Vince said he's never lost a court case. Cool. Hey why did they lose the F again?

You think the bleeding was planned? Probably not but i can see vince telling KO to make it look good. I have to wonder otherwise if Kev was like...oh shit...i may be in trouble. But probably not, you've got an old guy that shouldn't bump, he probably got in too close. And vince after recovering is just gonna love that it looked vicious with the blood and all.

The problem with that beating. 1 - There wasn't enough of a decent build up to it so it felt a bit gratuitous 2 - People mostly like KO for being such a good heel so they don't really want to boo him that much. I know if i'd been there i'd have cheered. Like last week's thing with Shane was dumb "your kids would have been better off" like how? I mean it's a gratuitous line meant to set shane off but i'd have liked some reasonign behind it.

about Raw, the whole Enzo Miz bit felt like Enzo burying. Because of course again Miz is the heel that makes really good points. Another gratuitous line with im sure no future storyline basis, who's your daddy?

Tired of this Cena-Reigns shoot thing. We got it good the first two times. Now this is losing steam for me. Too much of a good thing and all.

I just want to mention again the ridiculousness of Jordan being angl'e son. They need to resolve this at some point because imagine a scenario where Jordan is in WWE for the next decade. Are they gonna keep referring to him as angle's son for that long? I understand the idea was to sprinkle some Angle dust (pun intended) on him but that clealry didn't work and now you're stuck with that dumb thing. There will NEED to be a storyline eventually where it turns out that wasn't true. And sooner than later would be better. Giving him good match with top guys is one good thing to do to help him get over but fuck he needs a character. How can they not see this. Lose the AA singlet, get some character. I think people WANT to cheer him, you're just not giving them any reason. He's great in the ring sure, so is 90% of the roster.

Oh one last thing....wtf get Roode on fucking tv. I swear if he doesn't interrupt Ziggler next week...
Milk

Postby Milk » Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:14 am

actually i forgot one thing. That Jinder segment making fun of Shin. This was to me nearly This is your life bad. Only thing that saved it was it being shorter. I actually turned the sound off for half of it. I was cringing too much. This was some next level bad writing.
Milk

Postby gargamel » Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:19 am

vince and shane both wanted to be stone cold so it's not really that surprising that he'd take a fuckin headbutt like that

he's probably jealous that flair survived
gargamel

Postby gargamel » Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:28 am

i flipped through the sting matches in that compilation wwe put out. i was a big sting/nwo wolfpac mark as a kid. the matches were pretty sloppy and even the big title fights averaged about 8 minutes. and they were incredibly overbooked. and the ring was small? i dunno, felt like a little bit of my childhood slipped away.
gargamel

Postby doomedhuh » Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:35 am

did you listen to the randy savage episode of something to wrestle with
doomedhuh
ok

Postby gargamel » Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:37 am

no, should i?
gargamel

Postby Milk » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:35 am

everyone should listen to all STWW episodes.

Im glad i got to it when it was only a couple months old though otherwise that's a lot of hours to catch up to.
Milk

PreviousNext

Return to Free-For-All