Apple Event

The primary forum for general discussion of Hipinion.com

Postby Real Love » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:30 am

brent wrote:i'm kinda curious about the apple tv but the price tag seems excessive (shocker)

oh god i just spent two days wrestling with the apple tv it's dumb as shit

and the new TV app seems like it was released 6 months too early
✳✳?✳✳
Real Love

Postby universe » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:32 am

easy wrote:
universe wrote:This morning I'm wondering if I should go backwards and get an SE

the 128GB SE is super cheap and the design (5s) is the best the iPhone ever was, imo

I agree, I don't really like the 6/7/8 form factor. Going down in screen size from the 6 I have is a bit daunting but I'm really unexcited about these phones.
universe
dad

Postby Real Love » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:32 am

fox wrote:
Real Love wrote:
fox wrote:touchscreen means that they have to redesign os x, it's part of why windows 8+ are such nightmares

although the reason they are nightmares isn't because they had to redesign the UX, it's the specific way they did it

yes though designing a single OS for that many form factors is a bad business decision

in my heart i don't think it's an intractable problem but it's gotta be really, really hard. it's the crux of responsive (not just web) design.

but it seems like microsoft was like, uh, maybe grids? slap it out there
✳✳?✳✳
Real Love

Postby Flossed Out » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:41 am

i love my SE
choom gang
Flossed Out

Postby DasLofGang » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:41 am

the internet informs me that instead of the apple store I should take this thing to a guy named Rossman on 1st avenue?

this feels like a seinfeld premise
You remind me of Don Knotts.
DasLofGang

Postby Mister E » Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:04 pm

I hate my Apple TV so much.
Mister E

Postby kirito » Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:06 pm

iphone 4s was the best product they ever made
I love social media, I love fitness and I love photography
kirito

Postby powderfinger » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:28 pm

I never liked the 5/SE proportions compared to the 4.

I love the 6/7/8 size and the design is fine too, though obviously stale at this point. It sucks that there's only about one Android OEM (Sony) putting flagship specs in the same size class. I tried a 5.5" Android phone for a year and it was horrible to carry in a pocket.
powderfinger

Postby nocents » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:30 pm

if i want to unlock an X in the car to change my music, i have to point it at my face or put in a PIN?

=(
nocents

Postby powderfinger » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:53 pm

Real Love wrote:
easy wrote:tom said it best on best show last week when he was like, "yeah apple is one of the worst companies on earth, but show me a PC that does what apple's computers
do as easily and intuitively."

right

and the weird thing is what they're doing is making totally rock-solid machines. i don't know why literally nobody has focused on that, maybe they just think it's a lost cause

but the iphone? man, there are scores of really good companies producing really good phones on android. perhaps the issue truly is windows-versus-android-versus-ios.

I don't know. I like Android a lot and generally dislike iOS, but the iPhone blows every Android phone I've ever handled out of the water as a piece of hardware. Even being agnostic on design, iPhones universally feel nicer, work better, and are more reliable, especially a year+ out. iPhones may shit the bed during year three, but my LG and Sony Android phones shit the bed after year one. Not to mention the update situation, which is dire if you're not one of the tiny fraction of Android users buying the Google phones.
powderfinger

Postby easy » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:58 pm

there's something basic about the iOS experience that Android's never been able to match. something basic like scrolling through apps feels more immediate by like a fraction of a second on iOS, like it's actually responding to your thumb at the same time.
easy
does it

Postby Real Love » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:23 pm

man i dunno I got my 6s here for work and my moto g and really while I once could tell a difference I no longer can

not having stock android is still such a shit experience
✳✳?✳✳
Real Love

Postby powderfinger » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:13 pm

How do I make myself stop giving a shit about phones given that my iPhone 6S is probably fine for another year or two

This is no way to live
powderfinger

Postby DasLofGang » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:14 pm

powderfinger wrote:How do I make myself stop giving a shit about phones given that my iPhone 6S is probably fine for another year or two

This is no way to live

they do it for you when a software update turns it into a coal-powered 386 overnight
You remind me of Don Knotts.
DasLofGang

Postby antoine » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:16 pm

powderfinger wrote:How do I make myself stop giving a shit about phones given that my iPhone 6S is probably fine for another year or two

This is no way to live

Meditate on mortality
trouble wrote:when you are gonna get married and shopping around
take a minute a think about the posts that were made by antoine
antoine

Postby DestructoBot » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:17 pm

just know that giving a shit about phones makes you an enormous asshole
DestructoBot

Postby antoine » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:20 pm

i don't even use my phone as a phone very much. that's weird!
trouble wrote:when you are gonna get married and shopping around
take a minute a think about the posts that were made by antoine
antoine

Postby Grey Poupon » Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:31 pm

DasLofGang wrote:

This is no way to live

they do it for you when a software update turns it into a coal-powered 386 overnight

Yeah it's astounding how their updates are so incremental in terms of features yet kill the phone
My listening experience in balanced mode reveals the great depth of EARTH
Grey Poupon

Postby Mister E » Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:38 pm

GMs are out for iOS and watchOS.

watchOS updates are quite nice, I was thinking of upgrading to the Series 3 because my original one was so slow but the new interface makes that a lot less shitty so far.
Mister E

Postby speakers » Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:56 pm

antoine wrote:i don't even use my phone as a phone very much. that's weird!

i can't imagine how many think pieces have been written, and will someday be written, about a huge percentage of the world's population buying (and obsessively discussing) phones that they barely use to actually phone people
speakers

Postby Buddy Glass » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:09 pm

Mister E wrote:GMs are out for iOS and watchOS.

Installed iOS 11 yesterday, I like it a lot so far except the new Calendar icon font (i.e. the numerical date) and the App Store icon are horrendously ugly looking now for some reason. Oh and also when you first open up a Messages thread with someone, it shows you a bar across the bottom with all the apps that have Messages plug-ins/add-ons, and it looks really cluttered and ugly.
What became of her? She lived, as she liked to say, off the kindness of gentlemen. I assume she’s dead.
Buddy Glass

Postby iambic » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:22 pm

my o.g. HTC One is slowly losing its ability to hold a charge, so I care about phones right now. kinda worried that Google are going fuck up Pixel 2 real bad.
iambic

Postby easy » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:25 pm

iambic wrote:my o.g. HTC One

my buddy still has his, too. he swears by it. I keep telling him to get the HTC 10 when it finally shits the bed. guess those phones really last.
easy
does it

Postby Lucky » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:44 pm

How old is an OG? An M7? I have an M8 and I have to position it in weird places to get the charger in the right angle. Can't see any reason to ever get anything better than this tbh
katy perry pissing all over my diamond-encrusted crown as I sentence another peon to death
Lucky
Stéphane Guivarc'h

Postby Real Love » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:47 pm

Grey Poupon wrote:
DasLofGang wrote:

This is no way to live

Yeah it's astounding how their updates are so incremental in terms of features yet kill the phone

almost as if ... naahhh
✳✳?✳✳
Real Love

Postby dmitry » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:03 pm

yeah my 6 is going strong, especially since replacing the battery has been relatively straightforward (at least I hope it will be, $25 kit from ifixit is arriving soon) but iOS 11 is making the phone slow.

I do wish I had the better camera and Live Photo’s. Getting Live Photo’s is a real treat. Also thanks apple for autocorrecting “live photos” to Live Photo’s.
dmitry

Postby Grey Poupon » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:22 pm

dmitry does ios11 have live photos for Iphone 6 (not s)?

pisses me off that they're presumably not cpu breaking to carry out but there's an artificial lock, from what I gather you can turn it off if you jailbreak but I can't downgrade (or be bothered with jb'ing again tbh)
My listening experience in balanced mode reveals the great depth of EARTH
Grey Poupon

Postby dmitry » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:50 pm

iirc the justification for disallowing Live Photo’s from iPhone 6 is because it “requires” force touch or something. yeah, I used jailbroken iOS 8 or 9 for a long time with Live Photo’s and nothing blew up.
dmitry

Postby dmitry » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:52 pm

lord I miss jailbreaking. swipe-selecting on the keyboard and Activator (long home press to open Spotify, slightly shorter press to open camera, three presses to toggle orientation lock) removed so god damn much hassle. like made my life noticeably better
dmitry

Postby fox » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:10 pm

Real Love wrote:in my heart i don't think it's an intractable problem but it's gotta be really, really hard. it's the crux of responsive (not just web) design.

but it seems like microsoft was like, uh, maybe grids? slap it out there

yeah they had absolutely no idea what they were doing

with responsive web design, you typically can map form factors to viewports: mobile and tablet sizes should have components that you interact with via touch, and desktop sizes are all via clicks

mixing and matching these increases the complexity of the design decisions that you have to make, especially because desktop layouts can be arbitrarily large. the way that you interact with a mobile device and a desktop one are analogous, but not identical.

microsoft attempted to provide some kind of unified UI for all devices, but they rooted that in the windows 9X / 7 look and feel because they only ever change things incrementally. as a result, they crammed a bunch of tablet-specific UX into an existing mouse-based system, so now my OS has three separate control panels for no reason and the interface totally loses its shit at high resolutions.

I agree that it's possible to have a unified OS, but I also think that it's telling that iOS and OS X are completely different UX paradigms, despite sharing the Darwin kernel.

fox
Prime Galoob

PreviousNext

Return to Free-For-All