Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby jewels » Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:20 am

port wrote:
seriesfinale wrote:
good pups wrote:they lost so many jokes they could have had by doing actual sketches. The way they refuse to show any sketches ever, even though it's a show about a sketch show, is already insane. To not attempt to do any for a live show is almost pathological.

What

yeah that's mega dumb. what episode has just straight up featured SKETCHES. it's a show about doing a sketch show, dummy.

not to pile on this comment, but thank god they don't do any sketches.
gold and glass wrote:When you get to heaven, do you get to see a list of which gimmicks belonged to who?
jewels

Postby . » Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:22 am

Yeah.

Sometimes you'll see a few seconds of one and that's good enough.
ride.

Postby Tom Cruise » Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:23 am

Yeah.

The Lutz's t-shirt gag was just awful + the laughter was offputting.
katy perry pissing all over my diamond-encrusted crown as I sentence another peon to death
Tom Cruise

Postby . » Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:24 am

I feel like the kid that plays Kenneth doesn't handle live performance well, so they sort of built in some nervousness into his character.

A few times I couldn't understand what he said.
ride.

Postby good pups » Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:31 am

port wrote:
seriesfinale wrote:
good pups wrote:they lost so many jokes they could have had by doing actual sketches. The way they refuse to show any sketches ever, even though it's a show about a sketch show, is already insane. To not attempt to do any for a live show is almost pathological.

What

yeah that's mega dumb. what episode has just straight up featured SKETCHES. it's a show about doing a sketch show, dummy.

since it's a show about a sketch show, on a live version they should be able to take advantage of that. or take advantage of the format in some way - not just try to recreate their regular format as faithfully as possible. which i guess is neat but what's the point?

i don't mean to make it seem like 30 rock would be better as itself + sketches. but it's always seemed weird to me that they rarely have jokes that come from this show they're all writing, watching, and acting in. instead they have some more jokes about judah friedlander's hats, or lutz being weird.

so i think you can agree with me that they must DIE.
good pups

Postby . » Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:33 am

you might say it's a situational comedy
ride.

Postby grammatron » Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:44 am

Remember in Studio 60 when they'd actually show the sketches and it was the worst thing ever?
grammatron

Postby mikey » Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:48 am

Erik Joy wrote:I feel like the kid that plays Kenneth doesn't handle live performance well, so they sort of built in some nervousness into his character.

A few times I couldn't understand what he said.

jack mcbrayer got his start in second city and iO, and i've occasionally seen him at ucb. he does fine with live performance.

i believe he's also been in a bunch of conan sketches
mikey
Voldemort

Postby good pups » Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:52 am

Erik Joy wrote:you might say it's a situational comedy

?
good pups

Postby good pups » Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:53 am

Ohh now I see: 'Sitcoms have been very popular in India since the late 1990s. Shrimaan Shrimati and Flop Show became extremely popular and are still remembered for their hilarious scripts and impeccable performances.'
good pups

Postby grammatron » Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:57 am

What are you trying to do here, good pups?
grammatron

Postby . » Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:03 am

How come we never got to see any of Danny Tanner's budget meetings for Wake Up San Francisco in Full House?
ride.

Postby Feech La Manna » Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:11 am

grammatron wrote:Remember in Studio 60 when they'd actually show the sketches and it was the worst thing ever?

beat me to it
badhat wrote:bike solve all problems
Feech La Manna
noir as fuck

Postby ogdoad » Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:01 am

I enjoyed it.

I'm a big fan of 30 rock. I didn't think the live broadcast was as good as a regular episode. But I found it surprisingly entertaining and I wouldn't mind seeing them try to do it again.

I grabbed the west coast episode off BTN. I'll probably watch it tonight to see how it turned out.
ogdoad

Postby badhat » Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:05 am

grammatron wrote:Remember in Studio 60 when they'd actually show the sketches and it was the worst thing ever?

i really liked how sports night actually kinda made a schtick of rarely showing the show itself... like half the episodes started with them wrapping the show up and or ended with the countdown and intro.
admittedly the metal thread has recently taken a hit
badhat

Postby . » Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:09 am

how anyone remembers sports night as anything but a pile of shit still baffles me
ride.

Postby badhat » Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:15 am

yeah but you have bad taste in a lot of things
admittedly the metal thread has recently taken a hit
badhat

Postby . » Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:16 am

discerning taste

I won't just appreciate any wings-meets-espn turd
ride.

Postby Bob McAdoo » Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:44 am

I guess you have to compare it to a taped 30 Rock episode, and I only saw the West Coast feed, but was impressed with how they ran through the whole thing pretty flawlessly. Not too many other "sitcoms" on TV could handle a live performance like that. Maybe more jokes missed the mark but thought the spontaneity and overall effort made up for it.
His standup was so fucking bro'd out and he had like 20 minutes of material that hinged on the audience having seen Grandma's boy.
Bob McAdoo

Postby lostintheair » Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:46 am

Anonymous said... lostinthemall is my nicca luv the virgin pron freak numetal never been kissed angsty teen angle this dude stays on point and has been killin it since day one
lostintheair

Postby Feech La Manna » Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:48 am

That's why it's good to keep an aspie on staff
badhat wrote:bike solve all problems
Feech La Manna
noir as fuck

Postby gambra » Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:59 am

I tried watching this but live comedys shows just do my head in. I'm not used to watching shows done in front of a studio audience at all.
THIS IMPACT WILL CONTROL ALL MARGINS

Scrumptious Justice 8-) wrote:man don't be mean to gambra
gambra

Postby port » Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:59 am

Good pups, haven't you ever noticed that the short clips of the sketches we do see are TERRIBLE? "TGS" seems like a legitimately awful show. Not sure why you'd want to see more of it.
port

Postby Zurich » Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:07 am

- Kenneth was too giggly, made the character seem completely retarded unlike his normal doofy-ness, which was off putting.
- The Lutz thing was very dumb.
- good pups, are you stupid? I think this many seasons in you'd get the joke by now that TGS is a pretty bad show and any glimpse of sketches they give us seem purposely retarded/exaggerated.the actors of TGS are retarded as it is, that's why the show focuses on their lives off-screen. it's also kind of a knock at how audiences blindly like dumb stars. why would you want to see an actual TGS sketch?
- It was a sub-par episode in general, but they did fine. Personally, the production is one of the things I love about the show. Watching early season 1 where they hadn't really figured it out yet felt similar to this.

liked dot-com's angels in america line.
Zurich

Postby -1 baby... :( » Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:13 am

Erik Joy wrote:how anyone remembers sports night as anything but a pile of shit still baffles me

It's no It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia that's for sure!
da fucc outta here with that post.
Last edited by -1 baby... :( on Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Check please!!
-1 baby... :(

Postby important dentist » Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:13 am

port wrote:Good pups, haven't you ever noticed that the short clips of the sketches we do see are TERRIBLE? "TGS" seems like a legitimately awful show. Not sure why you'd want to see more of it.

my favorite thing about the first season that they don't really do anymore was all the background references to the sketches that you never got to see - like the intercom announcements saying "jenna to the set please, for ________" or the prop guys walking around with absurd props or frank coaching the bear on how to fight the robot for the "robot vs. bear" sketch. it was sort of like how bill waterson explained "hamster huey and the gooey kablooie" in calvin and hobbes: it was bound to be way better in the reader's/viewer's imagination, so it doesn't need to be, and shouldn't be, actually shown.
"My foremost duty is to the board," Important Dentist countered. "I
cannot afford to spend that much time researching human sexuality."
important dentist

Postby Zurich » Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:16 am

one more thing, can they ban rachel dratch from this show/life?

she has never been funny and is annoying to look at. every time she's on screen she transforms the show into an awful SNL skit.
Zurich

Postby mikey » Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:20 am

well she's one of tina fey's best friends or something like that
mikey
Voldemort

Postby important dentist » Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:23 am

well i don't let my weird-looking best friend perform root canals
"My foremost duty is to the board," Important Dentist countered. "I
cannot afford to spend that much time researching human sexuality."
important dentist

Postby Zurich » Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:27 am

mikey wrote:well she's one of tina fey's best friends or something like that

then she should have the guts to tell her how bad she sucks
Zurich

PreviousNext

Return to Don't. Let. Go. You’ve got the music in you.