Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby Rainbow Battle Kid » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:02 pm

i recently put my machina and adore vinyls on ebay and machina sold IMMEDIATELY but adore has had no bites.

adore is maybe my favorite pumpkins album, mostly cause i was a Sad Goth Teen, but it's ironic cause Jimmy's probably my favorite drummer of all time
Much Honoured Lord Nefarious wrote:rainbow battle kid you can kindly get the FUCK out of this thread while the adults have actual STAR WARS discussions.
Rainbow Battle Kid

Postby reversemigraine » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:06 pm

The OG vinyl release was in mono. Didn't realize they finally put that out on CD.
reversemigraine

Postby forest design » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:06 pm

That's interesting. My Pumpkins obsession kinda started waning around the time I heard Ava Adore for the first time on the radio and didn't know what to think. I liked Adore, but at the time I had a hard time getting into it beyond a handful of tracks. Over the years it has definitely slow burned its way into my heart, though. Really want that set now, damn it.
forest design

Postby reversemigraine » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:13 pm

Adore does absolutely nothing for me; Machina even less. The first CD-R I ever got was a recording of BC's solo Viper Room set where he debuted most of the Adore stuff, and I'd take that recording over the actual album any day.
reversemigraine

Postby Rainbow Battle Kid » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:14 pm

oh man i love the nighttimey vibes on it so much. the last few songs especially. and even something liek "shame" is kind of a shit song but i just love that bauhaus-y vibe
Much Honoured Lord Nefarious wrote:rainbow battle kid you can kindly get the FUCK out of this thread while the adults have actual STAR WARS discussions.
Rainbow Battle Kid

Postby Buzz Fledderjohn » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:25 pm

jesus the drums on machina sound like crap
the beginning of the beginning of the end of the beginning
Buzz Fledderjohn

Postby reversemigraine » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:25 pm

Man, I wish Adore sounded like Bauhaus.
reversemigraine

Postby Smiling Penner-Lite » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:32 pm

emotional fascism wrote:the mono mix of adore is all that.

sorry forest design.

Is there one mono track that you feel is clearly different from the stereo mix?

There’s an acoustic song called “The Tale of Dusty and Pistol Pete”. The mono mix is not only a different mix, but we did a different printing process. At the time, I was really into tape degrading, where you bounce tapes to get that sound. The mono Dusty mix is bounced three or four times, so it’s a bit darker. It kills some of the ambience, but it makes some of the haunting quality of the song more forward. Whereas the stereo mix is more of what you’d expect — lush and pretty.

Didn't really like the mono mix on CD and I rarely listen to vinyl these days.
Smiling Penner-Lite

Postby reversemigraine » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:33 pm

That said, I'll readily admit that the Sad Goth Teen aesthetic was a huge turn-off for me, and to this day is something that I simply don't associate with the Gish/SD/MCIS eras. Thru the Eyes of Ruby and Porcelina were my jams, and that's the kind of stuff I wanted out of the band.
reversemigraine

Postby Rainbow Battle Kid » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:34 pm

reversemigraine wrote:Man, I wish Adore sounded like Bauhaus.

ha yeah i getchu. just something about the simple gothiness of the instrumentation on that one pushes similar buttons for me. like kinda reminds me of the ending of Hollow Hills or something.
Rainbow Battle Kid

Postby Rainbow Battle Kid » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:36 pm

yeah fair enough. i was def more into like "by starlight"-type stuff, but obv both of those songs are unfuckwithable and hte whole swishy dreamy heavy SD vibe is a huge part of their appeal for me too
Rainbow Battle Kid

Postby Smiling Penner-Lite » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:48 pm

reversemigraine wrote:That said, I'll readily admit that the Sad Goth Teen aesthetic was a huge turn-off for me, and to this day is something that I simply don't associate with the Gish/SD/MCIS eras. Thru the Eyes of Ruby and Porcelina were my jams, and that's the kind of stuff I wanted out of the band.

I thought MCIS was Sad Teen but not overly goth. That sort of weird theatrical element I guess could be associated with goth but Adore was much more overtly goth.

Last great jam song?

I could just listen to the opening riff over and over
Smiling Penner-Lite

Postby reversemigraine » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:52 pm

Smiling Penner-Lite wrote:
reversemigraine wrote:That said, I'll readily admit that the Sad Goth Teen aesthetic was a huge turn-off for me, and to this day is something that I simply don't associate with the Gish/SD/MCIS eras. Thru the Eyes of Ruby and Porcelina were my jams, and that's the kind of stuff I wanted out of the band.

I thought MCIS was Sad Teen but not overly goth. That sort of weird theatrical element I guess could be associated with goth but Adore was much more overtly goth.

Last great jam song?

I could just listen to the opening riff over and over

Yeah, the live performance with Uli Jon Roth was fantastic.
reversemigraine

Postby Milk » Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:19 pm

FourLegsGood wrote:More than any other song, Appels + Oranjes/What If suffered the most in its translation from demo to finished product. Could've been a truly fantastic single if Billy hadn't fucked it up.

i think it's one of the strongest on Adore and i prefer it to this demo.
"I'm a quivering collection of the worst and least helpful emotions: fear, anxiety, terror, paranoia, indigestion, dishpan hands.."
Milk

Postby belgavin » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:13 pm

So what is the most likely surprise at the end of the countdown?

Album release date, tour announcement plus a single?
belgavin

Postby DasLofGang » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:15 pm

zeitgeist was a pumpkins-branded billy solo album feat. jimmy chambs and that was a fucking -decade- ago

jfc
heaven’s full of murderers
DasLofGang

Postby Smiling Penner-Lite » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:19 pm

belgavin wrote:So what is the most likely surprise at the end of the countdown?

Album release date, tour announcement plus a single?

Yeah, I think a Greatest Hits Tour for sure, judging by the famous lyric posters they've been putting up.
Smiling Penner-Lite

Postby FourLegsGood » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:23 pm

Unless it's SP playing 4 dimensional chess and having D'arcy part of the reunion (it's not) it's going to backfire a bit press-wise and we'll get to see Billy further implode.

That said, I'll probably go to a reunion tour with James
easy wrote:GOD DAMN IT
FourLegsGood

Postby reversemigraine » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:39 pm

This shit isn't gonna get any press either way.
reversemigraine

Postby Ides of Smarch » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:46 pm

Please don't give this guy any more of your money
Ides of Smarch

Postby FourLegsGood » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:01 pm

He's got a (best friend's) kid to feed.

Also they have a child together.
FourLegsGood

Postby FourLegsGood » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:59 pm

https://pitchfork.com/news/smashing-pumpkins-respond-to-darcy-wretzkys-reunion-claims/
"In reuniting The Smashing Pumpkins, the band's dedication remains to its fans and its music. To that, James Iha, Jimmy Chamberlin, and William Corgan haven't played a show with D'arcy Wretzky for over 18 years. But it's not for a lack of trying. For despite reports, Ms. Wretzky has repeatedly been invited out to play with the group, participate in demo sessions, or at the very least, meet face-to-face, and in each and every instance she always deferred. We wish her all the best, and look forward to reconnecting with you all very soon."
FourLegsGood

Postby Smiling Penner-Lite » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:14 pm

FourLegsGood wrote:https://pitchfork.com/news/smashing-pumpkins-respond-to-darcy-wretzkys-reunion-claims/
"In reuniting The Smashing Pumpkins, the band's dedication remains to its fans and its music. To that, James Iha, Jimmy Chamberlin, and William Corgan haven't played a show with D'arcy Wretzky for over 18 years. But it's not for a lack of trying. For despite reports, Ms. Wretzky has repeatedly been invited out to play with the group, participate in demo sessions, or at the very least, meet face-to-face, and in each and every instance she always deferred. We wish her all the best, and look forward to reconnecting with you all very soon."

Yeah this is pretty much what I expected.
Smiling Penner-Lite

Postby shirts optional » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:44 pm

the best case scenario at this point is:

-decent single (no way an album is going to be good)
-full-bore chamberlain live
-Gish/SD/Pieces-heavy setlist
-Porcelina of the Vast Oceans

gimmie that and it'll be fine
shirts optional

Postby FourLegsGood » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:51 pm

Hoping for the insane MACHINA reissue but that's definitely not happening
FourLegsGood

Postby forest design » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:55 pm

Is he not doing it because all the Machina II material was released online back in the day? I don't think I've everreally heard a good rip of most of that material - I just caught it on like YouTube or shitty mp3s and I'd love a remastering.
forest design

Postby palmer eldritch » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:01 am

he's not doing it because of money
palmer eldritch

Postby FourLegsGood » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:03 am

forest design wrote:Is he not doing it because all the Machina II material was released online back in the day? I don't think I've everreally heard a good rip of most of that material - I just caught it on like YouTube or shitty mp3s and I'd love a remastering.

No, it's a rights issue. His plan is to remix everything and create the conceptual double LP it was originally intended to be. Reports that there might even be rerecording involved as he considers it an unfinished album.
FourLegsGood

Postby shirts optional » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:51 am

I'm surprised with the amount of failed post-reunion singles and one-offs

(Superchrist owns though)

shirts optional

Postby forest design » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:07 am

Had no idea before now that those songs existed.

Only got through about a minute each of G.L.O.W. and FOL
forest design

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....