Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby shirts optional » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:51 am

I'm surprised with the amount of failed post-reunion singles and one-offs

(Superchrist owns though)

shirts optional

Postby forest design » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:07 am

Had no idea before now that those songs existed.

Only got through about a minute each of G.L.O.W. and FOL
forest design

Postby Milk » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:08 am

shirts optional wrote:I'm surprised with the amount of failed post-reunion singles and one-offs

If i'd reviewed this track i would have ended my review as such

"come on, come on, come on, can you feel it?" supplicates Corgan and unfortunately the answer is a resounding no.
8-)
"I'm a quivering collection of the worst and least helpful emotions: fear, anxiety, terror, paranoia, indigestion, dishpan hands.."
Milk

Postby forest design » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:13 am

Superchrist does own tho
forest design

Postby Ides of Smarch » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:48 am

superchrist is a small aberration on a steady downward trajectory.

this came up as suggested and it's worth posting again.

Ides of Smarch

Postby FourLegsGood » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:02 am

I was gonna make a list of SP's best songs since 2006 or whatever but it's really just this:
easy wrote:GOD DAMN IT
FourLegsGood

Postby shirts optional » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:13 am

Tarantula is good, Superchrist is very good, most songs on Oceania are pretty good

i also quite like this b-side quite a bit and have no clue why it wasn't included on its eponymous album instead of tripe like Starz and For God and Country

shirts optional

Postby Rainbow Battle Kid » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:16 am

yeah i also liked stellar, death from above (yeah everyone hates this but whatever), and a few of the residency songs

Much Honoured Lord Nefarious wrote:rainbow battle kid you can kindly get the FUCK out of this thread while the adults have actual STAR WARS discussions.
Rainbow Battle Kid

Postby Rainbow Battle Kid » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:18 am

honestly this full conversation doesn't seem AS bad as just the snippets in that last interview. obviously not great but definitely shows how the editing can change the "tone" of something

https://www.alternativenation.net/smash ... ion-offer/
Much Honoured Lord Nefarious wrote:rainbow battle kid you can kindly get the FUCK out of this thread while the adults have actual STAR WARS discussions.
Rainbow Battle Kid

Postby shirts optional » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:31 am

I never thought I'd say this but Billy seem surprisingly self-aware about the whole reunion project in those texts

no changing setlist is a bummer though, but hey if it's "massive" that's great

and while we're at it, i'd really like to get james' take on the reunion, why he decided to do it, his relationship with the other three members, etc.
shirts optional

Postby FourLegsGood » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:36 am

Those texts seem a little... edited. I mean, there're clearly things that we're not seeing in the evolution of that conversation.
FourLegsGood

Postby shirts optional » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:38 am

whoa d'arcy is chiming in in the comments
shirts optional

Postby lostintheair » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:09 am

In reuniting The Smashing Pumpkins, the band’s dedication remains to its fans and its music. To that, James Iha, Jimmy Chamberlin, and William Corgan haven’t played a show with D’arcy Wretzky for over 18 years. But it’s not for a lack of trying. For despite reports, Ms. Wretzky has repeatedly been invited out to play with the group, participate in demo sessions, or at the very least, meet face-to-face, and in each and every instance she always deferred. We wish her all the best, and look forward to reconnecting with you all very soon.
Anonymous said... lostinthemall is my nicca luv the virgin pron freak numetal never been kissed angsty teen angle this dude stays on point and has been killin it since day one
lostintheair

Postby Smiling Penner-Lite » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:39 am

I can't believe I'm actually saying this, but the texts actually make Billy look way more reasonable than I expected. I can see his point.
Smiling Penner-Lite

Postby Milk » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:25 pm

is no one gonna address the fact Darcy thinks Jack White is Patty (sic) Smith's son? :?
"I'm a quivering collection of the worst and least helpful emotions: fear, anxiety, terror, paranoia, indigestion, dishpan hands.."
Milk

Postby Milk » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:28 pm

whether she meant Patty Smyth or Patti Smith it is not factual.
Milk

Postby bluelips » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:29 pm

christ what a trainwreck this whole thing is turning out to be
bluelips

Postby FourLegsGood » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:36 pm

Feel like the band probably always operated with this level of drama but now, with the internet, we’re getting a front row seat
FourLegsGood

Postby Ides of Smarch » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:58 pm

I feel bad for all involved, including Billy who is clearly trying to be as accommodating as possible within the constraints of organizing a world tour. Darcy comes off as a bit of a flake, which I understand being a flake myself. Talking to Billy is probably a little bit triggering.
Ides of Smarch

Postby Smiling Penner-Lite » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:08 pm

Part of me thinks this is all a fix to build up hype and she'll be there for the Thursday announcement but then I've been in an abusive relationship with this band for decades now.
Smiling Penner-Lite

Postby FourLegsGood » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:09 pm

If this is to “build hype” and it’s not genuine then I feel there is gonna be some YACHT-type backlash
FourLegsGood

Postby Smiling Penner-Lite » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:03 pm

FourLegsGood wrote:If this is to “build hype” and it’s not genuine then I feel there is gonna be some YACHT-type backlash

Oh for sure, but I can see Crazy William Patrick Corgan doing this as some kind of "hilarious" joke and a commentary on music journalism and the soap opera of the Pumpkins.

Sometimes he comes across as very clever indeed, and then sometimes he comes across as batshit crazy, and it's hard to tell on a weekly basis what you're going to get.
Smiling Penner-Lite

Postby FourLegsGood » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:21 pm

As I said, it’d be cool if this was some scripted drama and a meta commentary that fits in the with the MACHINA mythology of an imploding band and we are getting the last reissue or whatever but c’mon, it’s actually just watching a reunion kinda implode. That jack white/patti smith stuff doesn’t make any sense from a marketing angle and the story is honestly too nuts and makes everyone look bad.
Last edited by FourLegsGood on Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FourLegsGood

Postby palmer eldritch » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:48 pm

oh jeez you guys
palmer eldritch

Postby marble » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:52 pm

love d'arcy just replying with one word replies etc and billy just word-salading about the tour for paragraphs
marble

Postby Wilderness » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:03 pm

if we get another 'one last studio track' à la Untitled it better not sound like fucking Cast
Wilderness

Postby FourLegsGood » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:17 pm

They’re really expecting to do arenas just because Iha is back in the band?
FourLegsGood

Postby Smiling Penner-Lite » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:31 pm

FourLegsGood wrote:They’re really expecting to do arenas just because Iha is back in the band?

I'm guessing they'll be doing some major stage stuff, maybe Tonight Tonight video.

When he talks about stuff being timed to the minute, that's the only thing I can think of. I don't think it will just be "hey we're doing an arena Greatest Hits tour".

Also don't know what's happening behind the scenes to finance this - he was saying they want to pick one song to have a single for the announcement, didn't sound like this was something long planned.

I'm betting someone's fronting money on this and that's one reason why it got weird between Billy and D'arcy in terms of timing.
Smiling Penner-Lite

Postby r m » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:58 pm

Smiling Penner-Lite wrote:I'm betting someone's fronting money on this and that's one reason why it got weird between Billy and D'arcy in terms of timing.

r m

Postby FourLegsGood » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:58 pm

Maybe. They didn’t ever really do much stage stuff back in their prime tho, except at awards shows
FourLegsGood

PreviousNext

Return to Don't. Let. Go. You’ve got the music in you.