You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby r m » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:00 pm

The Bridges to Bullshit Tour.
r m

Postby odilonredon » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:20 pm

dae like pisces iscariot more than siamese dream?

it’s like neck and neck with mcis for favorite sp release
E|---------------------|
B|---------------------|
G|-2-2-2-0^(0)-2^3^2-0
D|---------------------|
A|---------------------|
E|---------------------|
odilonredon

Postby Smiling Penner-Lite » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:08 pm

Stuff like GLOW and FOL I actually liked certain elements, and I'm probably the only person who could say that. And if Billy thought he was writing radio hits with those songs, we're in trouble.

I just wish he would embrace the fact that he had a unique band with a great, unique sound, and that's really all we want to hear now.

Slowdive comes back and has a great album of songs that sound like Slowdive and we all love it.

How many artists not named Bowie or Prince actually change up their sound but continue to be worthwhile and popular?
Smiling Penner-Lite

Postby FourLegsGood » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:17 pm

It's amazing to me that, in 22 years of trying, this band has been unable to get back on the same page. Jonathan overdoses and Jimmy gets kicked out in '96 and that's it, really. They record Adore without him and, though that might be my favorite album of theirs, it's incomplete. Suddenly he's back in and they do the Rising tour and start working toward MACHINA. I know D'arcy is supposed to've contributed SOME to that album but during that period she was going through so much in terms of addiction and interpersonal drama that she doesn't make it through recording (Billy and James handle most of her parts). Subsequently, the album and its promotional tour also feel incomplete. We all know how the last ten years have gone. It's just crazy that we haven't seen this band able to figure out how to work together since Mellon Collie when they were at the height of their imperial phase and it's definitely not for a lack of effort. It seems that everyone wants to find a way to make it happen they just can't.
easy wrote:GOD DAMN IT
FourLegsGood

Postby boatwave » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:27 pm

odilonredon wrote:dae like pisces iscariot more than siamese dream?

it’s like neck and neck with mcis for favorite sp release

I like them both a lot, which is to say I also think PI is really good. I think if Billy'd released some of the stuff that ended up on PI, with "Drown," that'd have been a sweet album, but I know he wanted to really break through. The thing about the Pumpkins to me, to FourLegsGood's point, is that I think that literally all of their potential material that they turned into b-sides—a potential pre-Gish album with those jangly songs <3, Pisces Iscariot, and The Aeroplane Flies High—are easily as good as the tall tall trees albums that they did release. Thus, to me, they rival Led Zeppelin in their run of superb albums in the Imperial Phase, which I agree came to end after MICS/TAFH.

Zwan coulda been his Wings. That's all I'm saying about that.
boatwave

Postby FourLegsGood » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:33 pm

boatwave wrote:—a potential pre-Gish album with those jangly songs <3,

Oh yeah, can anyone up Mashed Potatoes or any boots of the pre-Gish demos in the members forum?
FourLegsGood

Postby Smiling Penner-Lite » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:25 am

https://www.alternativenation.net/smash ... -20-years/

A long-ass interview with D'arcy which doesn't really reveal much beyond the texts.

Kinda sad she says James and Jimmy and her don't really talk at all. Piles on Billy for most of it but also reveals her own problems I think.

Buchanan tries to figure out why the band didn't all meet to jam or even have a conference call but she can't really give a straight answer beyond "Billy's an asshole".
Smiling Penner-Lite

Postby shirts optional » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:25 am

shirts optional

Postby shirts optional » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:38 am

Everyone said he changed since he had a kid, and he can be very charming, and fun. He’s fun to talk to; I enjoy mental sparring with him. I just was so out of that world for the longest time, I wasn’t aware of a lot of the crazy stuff, like he supports Trump. What? The shapeshifting thing, I honestly think he may have a brain tumor. He’s always been insufferable.

shirts optional

Postby Smiling Penner-Lite » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:38 am

Netphoria is having a field day with it and deservedly so, there's some hilarious shit in there.

But it just mostly reveals how fucked up these people are TBH.

If the relationship was as bad as D'arcy was describing (the two of them often screaming at each other) not sure I even blame Billy for not bringing her in.

I also wonder if James or Jimmy said "no thanks" and Billy didn't tell her that.
Smiling Penner-Lite

Postby shirts optional » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:51 am

yeah we gotta get James and Jimmy on the record here
shirts optional

Postby forest design » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:52 am

FourLegsGood wrote:It's amazing to me that, in 22 years of trying, this band has been unable to get back on the same page. Jonathan overdoses and Jimmy gets kicked out in '96 and that's it, really. They record Adore without him and, though that might be my favorite album of theirs, it's incomplete. Suddenly he's back in and they do the Rising tour and start working toward MACHINA. I know D'arcy is supposed to've contributed SOME to that album but during that period she was going through so much in terms of addiction and interpersonal drama that she doesn't make it through recording (Billy and James handle most of her parts). Subsequently, the album and its promotional tour also feel incomplete. We all know how the last ten years have gone. It's just crazy that we haven't seen this band able to figure out how to work together since Mellon Collie when they were at the height of their imperial phase and it's definitely not for a lack of effort. It seems that everyone wants to find a way to make it happen they just can't.

All of this seems perfectly reasonable to me and highlights exactly how rare and special it is when artists create enduring works.
forest design

Postby Ides of Smarch » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:56 am

shirts optional wrote:yeah we gotta get James and Jimmy on the record here

im sure they already signed ndas
Ides of Smarch

Postby forest design » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:00 am

Smiling Penner-Lite wrote:Netphoria is having a field day with it and deservedly so, there's some hilarious shit in there.

But it just mostly reveals how fucked up these people are TBH.

If the relationship was as bad as D'arcy was describing (the two of them often screaming at each other) not sure I even blame Billy for not bringing her in.

I also wonder if James or Jimmy said "no thanks" and Billy didn't tell her that.

No judgment intended, because it's all after the fact hearsay, and how anyone deals with the shotgun fame that they experienced without being something of an egomaniac (which usually only sustains itself until the inevitable fall from favor) is beyond me, but yeah, reading that interview made me feel sorta bad for James, tbh. Can you imagine dealing with Billy, D'arcy, and Jimmy day after day year after year?
forest design

Postby FourLegsGood » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:05 am

Wow, that's a rough read
FourLegsGood

Postby shirts optional » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:09 am

she's pretty funny though
shirts optional

Postby trellisaze » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:17 am

james owns
bongo wrote:hell pounds
trellisaze

Postby Ides of Smarch » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:18 am

Ides of Smarch

Postby trellisaze » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:19 am

darcy would walk back things she said earlier in the interview like constantly

i'm no fan of billy corgan's personality or personal life or worldview at all but she seems impossible to deal with & a pretty big self-mythologizer
bongo wrote:hell pounds
trellisaze

Postby forest design » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:23 am

You mentioned that Jimmy and James didn’t seem too into doing an album, then why do you think Jimmy was there the whole month of January in LA?

Like I told [Blast Echo], you need to put that I didn’t say that, that’s just what I was told. I don’t know what he told them. I texted James and told him that Billy said that you guys said all this stuff, you guys have all these opinions, you guys made all these decisions together. He’s always done that.

So it progressed to the point where there were contracts, so did Billy offer you to be a guest at that point?

I made him spell it out, because he didn’t want to. I was like, ‘Sorry I’m not going to be involved in the tour. I’m not interested in hanging from the ceiling in a carrot suit.’ He said, ‘Oh, that sounds pretty funny and cool!’ Yeah, no, I don’t think so.

What in the world...
forest design

Postby building jumper » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:27 am

Well that was depressing to read. All of this is bumming me out
building jumper

Postby forest design » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:28 am

Yeah. I was listening to Infinite Sadness again today and it was making me happy and now this is just reminding me that everything turns to shit in the end always
forest design

Postby FourLegsGood » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:28 am

So, literally zero chance that this is a PR stunt as I don't think Billy's ego could handle this. I almost wouldn't be surprised if he called the tour off or did something rash.
FourLegsGood

Postby FourLegsGood » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:30 am

mods, plz change thread title to "D'arcy BODIES the smashing pumpkins"
FourLegsGood

Postby marble » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:33 am

this interview rips

He’s always been so insecure, and jealous. He’s too insecure to do his own solo thing, but wanting to take credit for everything.

this rings so true for corgan i can't even
marble

Postby marble » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:40 am

d'arcy talking about how she's classically trained and a real "musician" etc rings hollow. didn't billy say she was completely tone deaf and he had to tune her bass for her on stage?
marble

Postby Milk » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:02 am

Pretty much everything in this interview i believe but that part. Like i dont think she's tone deaf but there's at least one video of billy tuning her on stage in the early-ish years (which doesn't mean she's tone deaf...live sometimes you can't even hear yourself that well). I don't think factually she's much of a musician. And i think that's the real reason she's never recorded anything, not Billy.

That mozart story. I believe that.

It's still my belief that musically it's always been 95% Billy and Jimmy. People who wonder why BIlly couldnt recreate the past success once James and Darcy were gone, it's just cause people lose it at some point. Well's run dry and all that.
"I'm a quivering collection of the worst and least helpful emotions: fear, anxiety, terror, paranoia, indigestion, dishpan hands.."
Milk

Postby r m » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:34 am

It was definitely Billy and Jimmy. Reading this thread, I get the sense that that fact has been lost over time. This was never, ever a collaborative band.
r m

Postby Milk » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:36 am

reversemigraine wrote:It was definitely Billy and Jimmy. Reading this thread, I get the sense that that fact has been lost over time. This was never, ever a collaborative band.

ive been on netpho enough to know that somehow a lot of fans want to believe if nothing else James is what made Billy great in those years. I don't really get that. Even if he DID influence SOME things musically perhaps here and there, it wasn't much and it's not enough to explain ALL the numerous SP songs from that era that were great.
"I'm a quivering collection of the worst and least helpful emotions: fear, anxiety, terror, paranoia, indigestion, dishpan hands.."
Milk

Postby r m » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:41 am

And D'arcy wasnt being revisionist when she said that they were never friends. They weren't. They weren't even a part of the same social circle. I have a hard time faulting any of them for saying, "I spent the majority of my twenties and early thirties in a tumultuous professional relationship with these people and would prefer to spend my middle age not doing that."
r m

PreviousNext

Return to Don't. Let. Go. You’ve got the music in you.