remarkable pieces of wikipedia writing

Let's talk Aguachile Alley

Postby Autarch » Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:33 am

joe wrote:
Dr. Norm Thagard wrote:
Annie May wrote:Image

I need to know what this is

I would recognize that wikipedia table of contents anywhere.

Autarch

Postby mascotte » Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:48 pm

Quite a story

The Conqueror (1956)
Howard Hughes funded The Conqueror, an epic film featuring John Wayne as Mongolian chieftain Genghis Khan and the redheaded Susan Hayward as a Tatar princess. The movie was filmed near St. George, Utah, downwind from a nuclear testing range in Nevada, and is often blamed for the cancer deaths of many of the cast and crew, including Hayward, Wayne, Agnes Moorehead, Pedro Armendáriz, and director Dick Powell. In addition to filming near the testing range, truckloads of the red sands were transported back to the studios for interior scenes. The film made the ten-worst list in The Book of Lists, appears in Michael Sauter's book The Worst Movies of All Time, and was among those listed in Michael Medved's book The Fifty Worst Films of All Time. Originally written for Marlon Brando, The Guardian called the choice of Wayne for Khan "one of the worst casting decisions of all time". Complex listed The Conqueror as the worst biopic ever made.

Hughes, one of the world's wealthiest people at the time, had previously produced the popular dramatic films Hell's Angels, Scarface, and The Outlaw. After seeing The Conqueror himself, Hughes bought every existing print for $12 million and refused to let the film be seen on television until 1974, reportedly out of guilt over the decision to shoot at such a hazardous location. By 1980, 91 of the 220 cast and crew members had been diagnosed with cancer. This was the last film Hughes produced.

mascotte

Postby trellisaze » Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:25 am

the article for woodstock 94

Jackyl took the stage early on Friday. The mood of the crowd was calm before Jackyl took the stage but that changed quickly. The lead singer took the stage with a bottle of whiskey and was drinking heavily as he poured alcohol onto the crowd. He then started smoking some weed and on a close up he shotgunned the joint into the camera with copious amounts of smoke filling the screens and the stage. At this point the crowd roared and in within a few minutes the entire crowd was drinking and partying hard. The lead singer then lit a stool on fire in the center of the stage and started using a chain saw to cut it up. He also pulled out a rifle and started shooting it in the air but cut his hand or finger, which started bleeding heavily and as he wiped his forehead a streak of blood was left across his head. At this point security dragged him off the stage.
bongo wrote:hell pounds

trellisaze

Postby can » Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:48 am

holy shit was looking at this on wiki about woodstock '99. came to post it and saw trelli's post

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woodstock_%2799#Violence
After the Chili Peppers were finished with their main set, the audience was informed about "a bit of a problem." An audio tower had caught fire, and the fire department was called in to extinguish it.[18]

Back onstage for an encore, the Chili Peppers' lead singer Anthony Kiedis remarked how amazing the fires looked from the stage, comparing them to the 1979 film Apocalypse Now.[19] The band proceeded to play "Sir Psycho Sexy", followed by their rendition of Jimi Hendrix's "Fire". Kiedis later stated in his autobiography, Scar Tissue, that Hendrix's sister had asked the Chili Peppers to play "Fire" in honor of Jimi and his performance at the original Woodstock festival, and that they were not playing it to encourage the crowd.

can

Postby office plant » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:57 am

tonight i had hot pot in one of seouls several chinatowns and so ive been bouncing around various hot pot wikis for the last 20 minutes. finally i landed on https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lancashire_hotpot
In Lancashire before industrialisation, families would work at home spinning thread while scrags of mutton stewed slowly over a low fire.

"scrag" links to another page, it's the neck meat of the sheep

(i also heard a dude say "cao ni ma" irl for the first time having previously only heard it while playing pubg. hotpot rules)

office plant

Postby nicecatbutchicken » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:34 pm

that woodstock 94 quote reads like real ultimate power
TwistedRenamon5 wrote:Sorry for asking the real questions while you do some weird younger brother roleplay

nicecatbutchicken

Postby nite69 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:40 am

In 1986 the trilogy won the Prometheus Hall of Fame Award, designed to honor right-wing libertarian fiction,[2] despite the fact that there are several passages in the trilogy that savagely parody right-wing libertarianism and the Objectivist philosophy of Ayn Rand.
sealed their fate wrote:The handwriting is already on the wall. These boys have been flushed.

nite69

Postby Spoilt Victorian Child » Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:59 pm

Chickens on stage [edit]

Another notorious incident occurred in 1906 when Kschessinskaya's coveted role of Lise in the Petipa/Ivanov production of La Fille Mal Gardée was given to Olga Preobrajenska. One feature of this production was the use of live chickens on stage. Before Preobrajenska's variation in the Pas de ruban of the first act, Kschessinskaya opened the doors to the chickens' coops and, at the first note of the music, the chickens went flying about the stage. Nevertheless, Preobrajenska continued her variation to the end and received a storm of applause, much to Kschessinskaya's chagrin.

Spoilt Victorian Child
ok

Postby Patchouli Jim » Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:40 am

Johnson was the first person to accurately describe the situation of the black British youth in the inner cities in the late 1970s and early 1980s. This theme runs through most of the songs on this and his other albums but it particularly evident in the last vocal song on the album "All Wi Doin' Is Defendin'" which it is remarkably prescient as it foresees the Brixton riot (1981) in some detail and justifies it before it had even happened. All media commentators and politicians were shocked by this event. Not Linton Kwesi Johnson. Lyrics include "Send in the riot squad quick because we're running wild" "All we need are bottles and bricks and sticks" and these were indeed the principal weapons used by the 1981 rioters.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dread_Beat_an%27_Blood
Combarieu declares that the songs of birds are not "musical" either, because they are "very difficult to take down in notation." See his Music-Its Laws and Evolution, 155. Will some divine power please create a "Musical" bird to sing the Air for G String in exact Equal Temperament for M. Combarieu?

Patchouli Jim

Postby ripersnifle » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:14 am

Musk is author of the contemporary fantasy novel BloodAngel,[4] published in 2005 by the ROC imprint of Penguin Books. Her second book, Uninvited, was released in 2007, and is an unrelated work intended for young adult readers. A sequel to BloodAngel, Lord of Bones, was released in 2008.[5] Musk is one of the first people to ever use a site like Pinterest to plan out a novel.[6]
steakspoon wrote:sorry if sounds corny fellas but i'll always remember where i was when i heard my first big star song..the internet.

ripersnifle

Postby silverapples » Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:29 am

some sick lacanian analysis goin on here in the visual-kei article https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visual_kei

According to the musicologists, the Lacanist psychoanalysis of the subculture indicate that the fascination to the singer's voice (the lack of understanding amplifies the effect), as well ineffable and unfulfillable desire, are what attracts most of the (predominantly female) fans to the groups on international scale.[59] The female fans (bangyaru) show a behavioral pattern while attending the concerts, as there several furi (movements) like tesensu (arm fan), gyakudai (reversed dive), hedoban (headbang), saku (spread hands in the air).[60] The explicit fan fiction, and homoerotic acts on the stage by some musicians called fan sabisu (fan service; a sexual term borrowed from manga culture), are related to the Lacanian man's type of desire (to be recognized by the other, desire of the other), i.e. the female fans do not desire the musician himself, but his desire, kind of cultural social training ground for the inescapable process of learning how to desire.[61]
im lookin to collect based energy from the plants and animals around me. im lookin to go into nature and then just absorb all the good feelings of life. im lookin to catch a body.

silverapples

Postby criss elliott » Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:54 pm

An adult Bottlenose dolphin named Fungie has been courting human contact in Dingle Bay since 1983.

criss elliott

Postby Viola Swamp » Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:11 am

McCurdy reportedly became interested in acting upon watching Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope after her mother recovered from breast cancer.[6] However, in a 2014 appearance on the podcast You Made It Weird with Pete Holmes, she said that this was not entirely true.[7]

Viola Swamp

Postby Jefferson Zeppelin » Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:33 pm

I love wikipedia descriptions of music videos

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuthin%27_but_a_%27G%27_Thang wrote:The music video, directed by Dr. Dre,[5] depicts Dre coming into Long Beach, California to pick up Snoop and go to a block party. They arrive at the party and perform the first verses outside while a barbecue cookout and a game of volleyball goes on. A female player's (Mercedes Ashley)[6] bikini top is pulled down by "T-Dubb", an original member of the Long Beach rap group Foesum, exposing her breasts. For the next verses they go inside the house. A small sequence of events shows a snobbish female party-goer humiliated by being sprayed with shaken-up malt liquor. The video ends with Dre dropping Snoop off back at his house, with Snoop staggering up the driveway. The MTV edit censors nudity, drug paraphernalia, Warren G with a blunt, copyrighted logos, a White Sox ball cap, and screen text.

Jefferson Zeppelin

Postby office plant » Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:38 am

Jefferson Zeppelin wrote:I love wikipedia descriptions of music videos

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuthin%27_but_a_%27G%27_Thang wrote:The music video, directed by Dr. Dre,[5] depicts Dre coming into Long Beach, California to pick up Snoop and go to a block party. They arrive at the party and perform the first verses outside while a barbecue cookout and a game of volleyball goes on. A female player's (Mercedes Ashley)[6] bikini top is pulled down by "T-Dubb", an original member of the Long Beach rap group Foesum, exposing her breasts. For the next verses they go inside the house. A small sequence of events shows a snobbish female party-goer humiliated by being sprayed with shaken-up malt liquor. The video ends with Dre dropping Snoop off back at his house, with Snoop staggering up the driveway. The MTV edit censors nudity, drug paraphernalia, Warren G with a blunt, copyrighted logos, a White Sox ball cap, and screen text.

i was going to post that i plan to subject the page for 'ohio is for lovers' to this treatment when i get home but someone beat me to it

The music video was directed by Shane Drake. The video features footage of the band performing in an old building whilst a little girl is shown aging rapidly and a spider is spinning its web. According to JT Woodruff, the band members were wearing each other's clothing.

office plant

Postby Reliable Tradesman » Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:57 am

Comanchero leader "Jock" Ross, a military enthusiast, intended to stand in the open to give the appearance he was alone, hoping to draw the Bandidos into a pincer movement that was based on the "Bullhorn Ambush" that he read had been used in the Second Boer War. However, he was distracted by the presence of members of a rival club the Mobshitters and went to the back of the tavern to ensure they were not going to get involved.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milperra_massacre

Reliable Tradesman

Postby trellisaze » Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:45 am

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dude wrote:The term was also used as a job description, such as "bush hook dude" as a position on a railroad in the 1880s. For an example, see the Stampede Tunnel.[citation needed]
bongo wrote:hell pounds

trellisaze

Postby Ted Pikul » Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:43 am

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prairie ... hone_Booth

Description and history Edit

The phone booth is located on the east side of Prairie Grove, opposite the entrance to Prairie Grove Battlefield State Park on U.S. Highway 62,[3] and in front of the Colonial Motel. It is a structure built out of aluminum with a satin finish, and glass window walls, with a bifold door that folds inward, topped by a red panel marked "TELEPHONE". It rests on a small concrete pad, with the door facing the highway, and measures about 86.125 inches (218.76 cm) in height, and 33.5 inches (85 cm) in width and depth at its base. It is slightly larger at the top, with an aluminum roof that projects slightly beyond the walls. The interior of the booth houses an aluminum shelf, above which the original telephone is mounted. A swiveling directory holder is mounted in the shelf, and there is a fluorescent light fixture mounted in the ceiling.[4]
evil olive wrote:Holy shit this is the most Ted Pikul post ever. Just replace your signature now.

Ted Pikul
DARE.

Postby pablito » Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:07 pm

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bonanza
Although "big and lovable", Blocker was also tough. Several years after his death, Michael Landon was on "The Tonight Show with Johnny Carson" and related the following anecdote. During the shooting of one episode, Blocker's horse stumbled and fell, throwing Blocker and breaking his collarbone. Blocker got up and the bone was actually protruding from his skin. The crew wanted to call an ambulance but Blocker refused and stuck the bone back in place himself and resumed filming. At the end of the day he was convinced to go to the hospital where they set the broken bone and gave him strict instructions, no riding for six weeks. According to Landon, evidently Blocker's horse forgot what it was like to carry the big man during his convalescence because the first time that Blocker swung up into the saddle on his return, the horse collapsed under his weight and the cast and crew collapsed in fits of laughter.[citation needed]

love that lighthearted anecdote!
*Offer temporarily suspended in light of the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic. Thank you for understanding

pablito

Location: chicago illinois, pm me for address, come fucking fight me*

Postby deer » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:39 pm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C.C._Waterback
The song tells the story of a wild party "at the Jones' place" and the hangover that followed. At one point Merle laments that the woman he brought to the party "wound up in Jones' bed and I wound up on the floor." The track also features a New Orleans horn section. The song was appropriate for both singers, considering that Jones loved Jesus And so did Haggard.

deer

Postby criss elliott » Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:56 pm

Les Claypool

Although his love for marijuana was public knowledge, it is alleged he had grown tired of smoking marijuana for a brief period between 2003 and 2004. He is quoted saying "Wine over weed"[33][dead link] by an unidentified source during an unaired taping of Fly Fishing the World in late 2004.

criss elliott

Postby a new dad for all » Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:38 am

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scene_(subculture)
By 2012, many scene kids had abandoned the cartoon print hoodies, skinny jeans and studded belts in favor of a more hardcore/skate punk look with wifebeaters, plain hoodies, Vans, tapered jeans, and stretched earlobe piercings, except in parts of Latin America, like Fortaleza, where late-2000s scene and emo fashion remained common.[19] Short hair replaced the androgynous styles of the late 2000s, with many scene kids opting for messy cropped hair with colors dyed in, or adopting the undercut associated with indie kids and the contemporary skater subculture. Many of the people wearing this look have abandoned the "scene" label and adopted the term "hipster" or just "alternative" to refer to themselves as. Male adult scene kids adopting tattoos, wife beaters and stretched ears are often referred to as "hardcore guys".

a new dad for all

Postby Bartatua » Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:54 pm

Plot
College students Rich Stoker and Halley Smith were rock climbing deep in a remote forest of West Virginia. When Rich reaches the top, he prepares to help Halley up, but is suddenly murdered.
i broke somebody's ribs

Bartatua
Site Admin

Postby surly » Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:19 pm

lordofdiapers wrote:damn it Greedo will forever fuck that word for me

surly
the insult bastard

Postby endoskeleton » Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:22 pm

endoskeleton

Postby Johan POOPLER » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:04 pm

when my art historian friends talk about jan wierix they're like 'man there was nothing that guy couldn't extrude correctly"
das ding wrote:
so what did he have to say about manly attraction to sheep?

i dunno. it's a very sad aspect of our nature, but also one of the foundations of love

ImageImageImageImage

Johan POOPLER
Site Admin

Postby pablito » Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:01 am

mohamed atta article. i guess he was just shootin the shit with his new best bud johnelle and hey, no need to worry about operational security anymore, he flew in from prague already!
After obtaining his visa, Atta took a bus on June 2 from Hamburg to Prague where he stayed overnight before traveling on to the United States the next day. Bin al-Shibh later explained that they believed it would contribute to operational security for Atta to fly out of Prague instead of Hamburg, where he traveled from previously. Likewise, Shehhi traveled from a different location, in his case via Brussels.[57][58]

On June 6, 2002, ABC's World News Tonight broadcast an interview with Johnelle Bryant, former loan officer at the U.S. Department of Agriculture in south Florida, who told about her encounter with Mohamed Atta. This encounter took place "around the third week of April to the third week of May of 2000", before Atta's official entry date into the United States (see below). According to Bryant, Atta wanted to finance the purchase of a crop-duster. "He wanted to finance a twin-engine, six-passenger aircraft and remove the seats," Bryant told ABC's World News Tonight. He insisted that she write his name as ATTA, that he originally was from Egypt but had moved to Afghanistan, that he was an engineer and that his dream was to go to a flight school. He asked about the Pentagon and the White House. He said he wanted to visit the World Trade Center and asked Bryant about the security there. He mentioned Al Qaeda and said the organization "could use memberships from Americans". He mentioned Osama bin Laden and said "this man would someday be known as the world's greatest leader."
*Offer temporarily suspended in light of the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic. Thank you for understanding

pablito

Location: chicago illinois, pm me for address, come fucking fight me*

Postby dan » Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:54 pm

F.T.W. (a.k.a. Last Ride) is a 1994 film about Frank T. Wells, an ex-con rodeo rider who becomes involved with a woman who's a bank robber on the run. The title of the film refers both to the main character's initials, and to a tattoo on Clem's hand, meaning "Fuck The World".

dan

Postby goldmatt » Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:49 pm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simon_Dee

On another occasion he was jailed for vandalising a lavatory seat with Petula Clark's face painted on it, which he thought was disrespectful to her.

goldmatt

Postby gauchebag » Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:40 pm

i nominate the entire Eric Cartman entry

gauchebag

PreviousNext

Return to Aguachile Alley