Motorsports Thread (F1, NASCAR, MotoGP, IndyCar, etc.)

Let's talk Aguachile Alley

Postby Bud Onkadonk » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:35 pm

NASCAR Daytona testing is just a week away, we're five weeks from the 500 and the 24 Hours of Daytona kicks racing season off for real at the end of this month.

I'm getting psyched for racing in 2011 and was wondering what the other fans here would think about having one thread for all the various series- NASCAR, F1, even MotoGP and IndyCar (if anyone cares).

Seems like it might keep the thread more active and avoid threads with 2-3 posters making 80% of the posts.

Or do you guys prefer more segregated race discussion?
Last edited by Bud Onkadonk on Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
my so kvlt life

Bud Onkadonk

Postby Savage » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:52 pm

one thread could quickly devolve into arguing about which sport is better, but maybe its worth giving a shot until that happens
thanks mountain dew

Savage

Postby Fullscreen » Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:01 pm

general thread isn't a bad idea, the F1 thread is a bit anemic on its own
doomedhuh wrote:only love can break your heart

Fullscreen

Postby Bud Onkadonk » Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:35 pm

Alright, let's give it a shot.

If things get too contentious, factions can secede as they see fit.

This is an interesting and development- http://www.nascar.com/news/110110/rule- ... index.html

Will be interesting to see who other than Kyle Busch bothers to run without the chance scoring points.

And if anyone cares about MotoGP, here are the first flicks of Rossi in his Ducati leathers-

Red and yellow is pretty hideous. Guess we'll have something other than the running order to help distinguish between Rossi and Hayden.
my so kvlt life

Bud Onkadonk

Postby bold man » Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:57 pm

pretty sure the championship thing in NASCAR wont have any effect in the shortterm, since sponsors are already lined up/teams have their drivers for x races/etc. by the end of the year i hope sponsors will want to go to teams in the title hunt and not to just drivers names, but i dunno if itll work honestly
in the international space station having a three-way with hillary clinton and sarah palin

bold man
ok

Postby Sad Panda » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:24 pm

I thought most of the excitement in the Busch series came from the Cup veterans mixing with the upcoming drivers, I wonder how many people will feel the same and abandon the series?

Sad Panda

Postby Lake » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:25 pm

the problem is that since about 2006 it went from "cup stars racing against upcoming drivers" to "cup stars racing each other while the upcoming drivers race for 14th"
he does not believe an adequate safety margin was built into the Alpine Slide

Lake

Postby bold man » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:36 pm

i loved the nationwide series cos i got to watch solid racers that never really had a chance/probably were just journeymen racers battle for championships with cash-strapped teams (david greene, todd bodine, jeff green, jason keller, etc) going up against young guns that are slowly making a name for themselves (like when brian vickers ran his family owned team before hendrick) and then the big name stud prospects (a la reed sorenson, casey atwood). now adays i get to watch 8 cup drivers finish in the top 10.

i still think cup drivers should be able to run in the series, just i think owners who are on the cup side cannot field a cup driver in the series. so if harvick wants to run for his own team fine, if gilliland wants to help k-automotive fine, but i dont want to see kyle busch shit all over everyone in gibbs equipment, thats boring.
in the international space station having a three-way with hillary clinton and sarah palin

bold man
ok

Postby Savage » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:25 pm

kyle is never going to stop doing that though

he didnt race for points this year
thanks mountain dew

Savage

Postby bold man » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:36 pm

savage bro did you not read what im proposing there

bold man
ok

Postby Savage » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:41 pm

oh oh, youre saying that kyles gotta race for some shitty team in every race? i thought you meant for a whole season

how would you handle "affiliated" teams that just run all the same engines and shit, eg: jr motorsports, because thats what theyd all do
thanks mountain dew

Savage

Postby Lake » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:47 pm

the series would die if they did that.

NASCAR is so far up their own ass with "COME SEE OUR STARS RACE...IN NATIONWIDE TOO" that when the regular dickhead fan sees that Danny O'Quinn is driving the 18 Gibbs car instead of Kyle they're just gonna not watch/not go to the race.

there really is no way of fixing it, unless they went back to racing mostly stand alone races with 10-12 cup/nwide double headers. but they'll never do that. it's ruined forever.

Lake

Postby Lake » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:50 pm

also the culture has changed to much in regards to the driver market for it to be a "journeyman championship" again. the reason lajoie, the greens, keller, etc went so hard for the busch title in those days is because they wanted to use it to hopefully impress people and get themselves back into cup. that was a time when it was normal for a big team to sign a guy who was pushing 40. that doesn't happen anymore, the owners want drivers as young as possible. when you have an 18 year old joey logano able to run a full season of cup there is absolutely no reason for a feeder series at all.

Lake

Postby bold man » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:14 am

well the whole reason the culture has changed is the massive shops/seemingly unlimited budgets of the rich. its like america during the industrial revolution. sure everyone had a chance to make it big, but once a few guys did they just buy out the little guys and make them partners. changing the culture is what NASCAR actually needs to do, but that'd mean cutting teams down even more (2 car max?), eliminating satellite teams, and basically creating a middle of the road set of teams that the johnny bensons/ricky cravens used to race for and could win a race here and there.

but we all know NASCAR has their hands so deep in the pockets of the big boys success the only way thats going to happen is when all the tracks are selling 50% of their tickets, and probably will never happen

bold man
ok

Postby Bud Onkadonk » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:38 am

It's clearly a conspiracy to make sure Travis Pastrana wins a race and that the Nationwide Series becomes the sport of choice for flat-brimmed Red Bull junkies.
my so kvlt life

Bud Onkadonk

Postby bold man » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:48 pm

i bet they want ricky carmichael to win a championship too

bold man
ok

Postby Bud Onkadonk » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:02 pm

This is probably the sickest illustration of an F1 car's actual speed that I've seen.

Fuck, Spa is such an amazing circuit. Gotta go.
my so kvlt life

Bud Onkadonk

Postby bold man » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:53 am

jesus, that was a good watch

bold man
ok

Postby Bud Onkadonk » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:24 am

Jenna Fryer's usually pretty well informed, so I'd say there's a decent chance this is true.

A simplified system would be good, as would two chase slots for multiple race winners who wouldn't otherwise qualify.

Not sure about the winner getting just one point more than the 2nd place finisher (provided they both lead laps).

Jan 17, 5:51 PM EST

AP Source: NASCAR may scrap points system

By JENNA FRYER
AP Auto Racing Writer

CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP) -- NASCAR is considering scrapping the points system it has used since 1975 in favor of a simpler method that awards points per finishing position, The Associated Press has learned.

The overhauling of the system is one of a handful of changes NASCAR is considering implementing before the season begins next month. Series officials have been detailing their ideas in individual meetings with teams, a person who attended one of the briefings told The AP on Monday.

The person spoke to The AP on condition of anonymity because NASCAR has not finalized its upcoming changes.

The sanctioning body wants to go to a scoring system that would award 43 points to the race winner, and one point less for each ensuing position down to one point for the 43rd-place finisher.

NASCAR is also shying away from wholesale changes to its Chase for the Sprint Cup championship format.

NASCAR chairman Brian France floated the idea last July of shaking up the Chase to create more drama to the 10-week series that determines the Cup champion. Among France's suggestions were widening the 12-driver field, instituting elimination rounds, and adding any other drama that could create "Game 7" type moments rivaling those from other professional sports leagues.

But teams have been told NASCAR is leaning toward keeping it a 12-driver field, with one caveat: The top 10 drivers following the 26th race of the season would qualify for the Chase, while the remaining two spots would go to the drivers with the most wins who are not already eligible for the Chase.

NASCAR officials have also told teams they aren't leaning toward adding eliminations.

Preseason testing begins Thursday at Daytona International Speedway, and NASCAR president Mike Helton and vice president of competition Robin Pemberton are scheduled to discuss some of the changes planned for 2011.

But the major announcements aren't scheduled until next week when France makes a presentation during Charlotte Motor Speedway's annual media tour.

France and his top officials found themselves in a precarious position at the end of last season, which was marked by the closest championship race in seven years. France had already publicly toyed with the idea of changing the Chase, which was implemented in 2004 to spice up NASCAR's championship system.

"Right now every sports league, or almost every one, is looking at what they need to do to change their formats a little or a lot, depending on who they are, to make sure their playoffs or their championship runs are what they want them to be," France said two days before the November season finale.

Three drivers went into the season finale eligible to win the championship. It went to Jimmie Johnson, who overcame a 15-point deficit to Denny Hamlin in the final race to win his record fifth consecutive title.

Because the system seemingly worked as the Chase played out last season, sweeping changes did not seem necessary.

The points system, though, apparently is a different matter.

NASCAR legend claims the current system was devised on a napkin over drinks at a Daytona bar in 1974 and implemented the next season. The complicated scoring method gives 175 points to the winner, and decreases in increments of five points and then three points down to 34 points for the last-place finisher.

Five-point bonuses are awarded for leading a lap, and to the driver who leads the most laps.

NASCAR is still debating how to award bonuses under a straight points system, and ideas being considered are for anywhere from one to three points being given to lap leaders and race winners.
my so kvlt life

Bud Onkadonk

Postby Savage » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:39 am

yeah i dont see how that system really helps anything
thanks mountain dew

Savage

Postby Sad Panda » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:58 am

They should probably just switch to a more Formula 1 style system, maybe only the top 20 score points. If you space out the points appropriately, it would not only favor winning, but hopefully an emphasis on top 5's as well. You want the teams to push themselves to have 30-whatever great races instead of maybe taking it easier cause of the consistency reward.

Sad Panda

Postby Savage » Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:06 pm

another problem is if they add the two guys with the most wins to the chase, there will be basically no drama for the last few weeks of the "regular season"

usually the drama around that time is related to the one or two guys who have a ton of wins but a ton of bad luck. who gives a shit if the 10th or 11th best winless guy makes the chase
thanks mountain dew

Savage

Postby Lake » Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:39 pm

use the 2003 points system

fixed

Lake

Postby Bud Onkadonk » Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:41 pm

To me, this makes the most sense for any series-

1- 37
2- 32
3- 29
4- 26
5- 23
6- 20
7- 18
8- 16
9- 14
10- 12
11- 10
12- 9
13- 8
14- 7
15- 6
16- 5
17- 4
18- 3
19- 2
20-1

+ 2 for winning the pole
+ 2 for leading the most laps

Everyone on the track getting points is a little silly.

This way has escalating points for finishing in the top 20, top 10, top 5 and (most importantly) winning the race.

Bonuses for winning the pole or leading the most laps could help you close in on the winner, but not surpass the points lead he acquired in that race.
my so kvlt life

Bud Onkadonk

Postby bold man » Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:49 pm

bud your system makes the most sense, but if they went with the proposed system i'd like to see it be 1-33 for the last 33 cars the +5 for each spot in the top ten. so 38 for 10th, 43 for 9th, etc.

thatd actually make top 10s mean something.

id also love to see them get rid of the top 35 rule and make it the top 25 or so from the previous race. itll add more drama each week when someone big gets a DNF but in all likelihood theyll still make the show and itll give small teams the incentive to at least make laps/try and get into the top 25 consistently

bold man
ok

Postby Bud Onkadonk » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:48 pm

Pretty cool looking.
my so kvlt life

Bud Onkadonk

Postby Sad Panda » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:13 pm

Apparently those hyper-sensitive jerks up in Canada might not allow that livery to race there, apparently their tobacco advertising law prohibits things resembling the colors of a cigarette pack.

Sad Panda

Postby fox » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:17 pm

2011 Watersports Thread

fox
Prime Galoob

Postby Paul » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:50 am

Sad Panda wrote:Apparently those hyper-sensitive jerks up in Canada might not allow that livery to race there, apparently their tobacco advertising law prohibits things resembling the colors of a cigarette pack.

Ferrari removed their barcode stripes from the back of their cars last season because they were told it subliminally represented Marlboro. That was after the Montreal GP, too.

While the Marlboro branding does not appear on the car, recent media reports have suggested the prominent bar code design could be in breach of strict European Union laws banning tobacco advertising because it resembled the lower part of a packet of cigarettes.

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/06052010/ ... ivery.html
lordofdiapers wrote:Paul is worthy

guy forget wrote:Woah wait a minute Phish is dumb as hell

Paul
The Nappy King™

Postby Bud Onkadonk » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:55 pm

Daytona testing live on speedtv.com today.
my so kvlt life

Bud Onkadonk

Next

Return to Aguachile Alley