Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby number none » Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:52 pm

hadn't heard about this!

Philip K. Dick’s Electric Dreams is a sci-fi anthology series of ten epic, ambitious and moving standalone episodes, each set in a different and unique world – some which lie in the far reaches of the universe and time and others which are much, much closer to home. While the stories may be worlds apart, central to each is the poignant and warm exploration of the importance and significance of humanity.

Each episode is inspired by one of Philip K. Dick’s renowned shorts stories and has been adapted by an exciting list of leading British and American writers and directors. The series also features an all-star roster of cast who head up this thrilling, audacious and emotional journey into the far reaches of imagination.

http://www.channel4.com/info/press/news/philip-k-dicks-electric-dreams
number none

Postby tonybricker » Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:15 pm

I also read Rise and Fall of D.O.D.O and while the core concepts were fine, I didn't really enjoy it. Something about it almost felt a YA romance novel. I did like Seveneves a lot, and Reamde, so I'm not ready to give up on Stephenson yet.

I did just finish The Strange Bird, a short story set in the Borne universe. I don't want to give anything away but it was pretty moving and I really hope he continues to write stuff in the Borne world, it's fascinating
tonybricker

Postby Conetoaster » Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:54 am

Just started reading this:

Classic 70s Japanese sci-fi recently translated.

Getting book of the new sun vibes from it so far.
Conetoaster

Postby number none » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:01 am

RIP Brian Aldiss
number none

Postby deadwolfbones » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:33 am

Shit
dead was real dumb
deadwolfbones

Postby ouroboros » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:41 pm

Anyone read the Rivers of London series by Ben Aaronovitch?
ouroboros

Postby Smiling Penner-Lite » Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:36 pm

ouroboros wrote:Anyone read the Rivers of London series by Ben Aaronovitch?

No, saw this on my Kindle Recommended list.

Next up: new Michael Marshall Smith - Hannah Green & Her Unfeasibly Mundane Existence
Tal M Klein - The Punch Escrow
Smiling Penner-Lite

Postby worrywort » Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:19 pm

I read the first one. It's pretty decent urban fantasy. Not soapy, fairly grounded in character and mystery.
worrywort

Postby ouroboros » Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:13 pm

worrywort wrote:I read the first one. It's pretty decent urban fantasy. Not soapy, fairly grounded in character and mystery.

Thanks
ouroboros

Postby Classic Water » Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:18 pm

So I ended up grabbing both Annihilation and Borne. Was planning to read them consecutively but having just finished Annihilation I gotta say I'm pretty eager to finish the Southern Reach trilogy! I really enjoyed it
Classic Water

Postby waterbottle » Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:55 pm

Children of Time is good so far – space opera with nearly extinct humanity and sentient spiders
waterbottle

Postby tonybricker » Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:16 am

Classic Water wrote:So I ended up grabbing both Annihilation and Borne. Was planning to read them consecutively but having just finished Annihilation I gotta say I'm pretty eager to finish the Southern Reach trilogy! I really enjoyed it

yeah definitely finish the Southern Reach before you read Borne or anything else
tonybricker

Postby Jeremy » Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:15 pm

lefthandshake wrote:Image

In the middle of this one, short stories that seem all over the place in terms of tone and setting, but maybe that's just due to my not reading many short story collections. I liked her novel The Etched City, which I don't recall seeing mentioned in this thread before.

Apparently this is the only time The Etched City has been mentioned on the board. I just finished it last night. It's brilliant the whole way through and I basically hate the author for having quit writing and gone into like selling bronze sculptures on Etsy or whatever venue you sell bronze sculptures on.
Jeremy

Postby Jeremy » Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:16 pm

You can't just stop writing after you put something like that together 15 years ago, but apparently you can.
Jeremy

Postby joe » Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:39 pm

i don't remember etched city at all except liking it, probably due for a reread
dễ dàng wrote:CHẾT TIỆT
joe

Postby worrywort » Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:52 pm

never heard of it. sounds good though.

1/3 into The Stone Sky. not much action at all so far, which is fine, cuz the gallows humor is still there in spades and the whole tone of this one (again: so far) is like angry resignation. i like it a lot.
worrywort

Postby dvr » Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:47 pm

just don't read Rainbow's End
dvr

Postby Kenny » Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:34 pm

New Swords and Sorcery fantasy journal that seems to have been getting good reviews has a kickstarter. And thankfully it's not tied to any Sad Puppy/Vox Day shitheads (as far as I can tell)
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1409961192/tales-from-the-magicians-skull/
http://www.howardandrewjones.com/sword-and-sorcery/magicians-skull-table-of-contents

Image [PEACE] [LOVE] [UNITY] [RESPECT] ImageImage
Never forget, other opinions are available
Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby tonybricker » Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:07 pm

A few weks ago, I read The Vagrant by Peter Newman in about two days. It takes some basic fantasy tropes (badass lone wanderer with baby, must deliver magical totem to special place on the other side of the world, our earth has been invaded by demons from a hellish dimension, postapocalyptic landscape) and just does so much with it. The writing style is really minimal, almost poetic at some points, and by virtue of not laying out every single detail it actually made the world more vivid and fun to imagine. If I was a concept artist/fantasy illustrator I would have wanted to draw everything in here. The book is also just weird in an amazing way, some of the concepts in here are so unique and out of left field, especially when describing the nature and motives of the infernal forces. And the story itself is very satisfying, I wish I could read this again for the first time.

I have gone on to read the next two books in the trilogy, and they are also really great and do a fantastic job of moving the story along and in interesting directions, but IMO actually have lost some of the gorgeous, stark writing from the first book - totally worth finishing the trilogy though. If anyone reads it, I'd love to discuss so many things
tonybricker

Postby worrywort » Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:33 pm

it's in my to read pile, just not at the top just yet. i think there's a novella or short story in the series too.

on another note, i just saw the Dramatis Personae to Esslemont's Deadhouse Landing and it's very intriguing. put my pre-order in today.
worrywort

Postby Kenny » Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:56 pm

Anybody got any recommendations for some good fandom media like blogs or podcasts about scifi/fantasy?

I currently read Black Gate, Tor.com and File 770 but always looking for cool blogs (Espeicaly Black Gate, which really fits my reading interest)

But I guess I'm interested in new ways to get into it, like podcasts or youtube channels

Also what are some good publishers for new writers in the genre?
Image [PEACE] [LOVE] [UNITY] [RESPECT] ImageImage
Never forget, other opinions are available
Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby reversemigraine » Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:07 pm

(Asked in the general reading thread, but probably more likely to get a response here...)

Has anyone picked up the new Ann Leckie yet?
reversemigraine

Postby Smiling Penner-Lite » Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:25 pm

worrywort wrote:it's in my to read pile, just not at the top just yet. i think there's a novella or short story in the series too.

on another note, i just saw the Dramatis Personae to Esslemont's Deadhouse Landing and it's very intriguing. put my pre-order in today.

I just finished Dancer's Lament and was surprised that I had a blast! Maybe Esslemont's best. I'll always read anything that gives more Shadowthrone but it didn't jump up to the top of the list when it came out.

tony - thanks for the recommendation - I had that marked a while back and totally forgot about it, will check it out for sure.

Not sure if anyone like Brandon Sanderson here; not generally a fan, but I have enjoyed the Stormlight Archive and the new one is coming out pretty quick.

Also looking forward to the end of Miles Cameron's Red Knight series coming out, appropriately enough, on Halloween.

Finally, Nick Harkaway's Gnomon comes out January but I think it's already out in the UK.
Smiling Penner-Lite

Postby uncledoj » Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:55 pm

Smiling Penner-Lite wrote:
worrywort wrote:

Also looking forward to the end of Miles Cameron's Red Knight series coming out, appropriately enough, on Halloween.

Man he really cranked the books in this series out (and it often showed, with some sloppiness) but I've really enjoyed it so far. Such a weird mish mash. I also have to pick up the last In Bakker's series, after I'm done with re-reading the Black Company Books of the South.
uncledoj

Postby Hambelt » Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:35 pm

reversemigraine wrote:(Asked in the general reading thread, but probably more likely to get a response here...)

Just finished this! It was good and enjoyable to read but I'll probably never think about it again.
Hambelt

Postby i am rich » Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:37 pm

thinking about doing a malazan reread but interspersing the esslemont books for the first time. so good/no good? the eriksons are my favorite epic fantasy ever after only one read through
i am rich

Postby baleen » Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:44 pm

Hambelt wrote:
reversemigraine wrote:(Asked in the general reading thread, but probably more likely to get a response here...)

Just finished this! It was good and enjoyable to read but I'll probably never think about it again.

yeah I read it a few weeks ago and basically agree. fun, even more scifi-as-tragicomedy-of-manners. re-read Left Hand Of Darkness just before so a tough comparison for the Leckie.
The answer is simple: artisanship.
baleen

Postby reversemigraine » Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:49 pm

Hambelt wrote:

Kinda how I felt about the Ancillary books, tbh.
reversemigraine

Postby Smiling Penner-Lite » Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:53 pm

i am rich wrote:thinking about doing a malazan reread but interspersing the esslemont books for the first time. so good/no good? the eriksons are my favorite epic fantasy ever after only one read through

I enjoy most of the Esslemont stuff more than the average Malazan fan I think. He's simply not as great a writer as Erikson, but his strength is that he's more succinct and doesn't beat you over the head with stuff as much as Erikson. If you enjoyed MBOTF, I don't see why you shouldn't try Esslemont, and he comes at things from a different angle. The Crimson Guard I thought was fun, although I'm not sure I needed multiple books on their story.

uncledoj wrote:
Smiling Penner-Lite wrote:
worrywort wrote:

Man he really cranked the books in this series out (and it often showed, with some sloppiness) but I've really enjoyed it so far. Such a weird mish mash. I also have to pick up the last In Bakker's series, after I'm done with re-reading the Black Company Books of the South.

Felt like Cameron hit his stride in the last couple of books, tone was more even.

Bakker I loved the first trilogy as much as it irritated me, but was left cold by the new books. Stuff just dragged out and became almost incomprehensible to me, and I found I couldn't really care about what happened way in the past with the evil aliens or whatever they were.
Smiling Penner-Lite

Postby Smiling Penner-Lite » Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:53 pm

Erikson just posted that he's delaying Walk in Shadow, the conclusion to the Kharkanas prequel trilogy because sales have been so shitty. Well, I'm not sure I even finished Forge of Darkness and didn't bother with Fall of Light so that makes sense.

He said that sales of Book of the Fallen continue to do well and Dancer's Lament did very well.

He is therefore going to jump right into the Karsa Orlong trilogy. Should be set about 4-5 years after MBOTF and will have some other favourite characters.
Smiling Penner-Lite

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....