General Fantasy & SF Thread [Amazin making a Culture series]

Ive found in time the search on this forum was shit but if you google whatever keywords with the word hipinion, you get what you're looking for most of the time. I mean even when they keywords aren't exact.

Postby tonybricker » Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:54 pm

joe wrote:Seconding everyone's love of Library at Mount Char.

Currently reading the Wolfhound Empire trilogy based on tony bricker's recommendation (having it all in one book is nice). Halfway through the first book and I'm really enjoying it. I honestly get a bit more M. John Harrison (see A Storm of Wings and Nova Swing) than China Mieville in terms of the aesthetic, but I certainly think if you liked The City & The City this will sate that similar itch but with interesting and novel mystical fantasy things layered into it as well.

I'm really glad you picked up Wolfhound Empire, I would love to hear what you think about once you are finished.

It doesn't have that obvious madcap "let's smash concepts together" vibe that I get (and mostly enjoy) from a lot of Mieville's work, although it does definitely do a lot of atypical thematic mixing. It's a lot more deliberate and subtle in tone though. I would love more from that world, I hope he keeps going even though Wolfhound Empire wraps up pretty neatly
tonybricker

Postby r m » Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:48 pm

What's the HPN consensus on the MaddAddam trilogy?
r m

Postby Classic Water » Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:28 pm

Guys I'm in a real slump lately, haven't finished the last 3 books I started. I need somebody to recommend a book that has like, lots of forward momentum. SF or fantasy doesn't really matter
Classic Water

Postby number none » Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:32 pm

read Vandermeer's Borne in a day or so this week. Not too demanding - lots of cool concepts and fun weird shit. That might do the trick?
number none

Postby Classic Water » Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:08 pm

Did you like it better than Annihilation? I haven't read either of them
Classic Water

Postby number none » Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:12 pm

hmmm, it's certainly an easier read than Annihilation. And it's one and done. I'd plump for it in your situation
number none

Postby Smiling Penner-Lite » Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:13 pm

Classic Water wrote:Guys I'm in a real slump lately, haven't finished the last 3 books I started. I need somebody to recommend a book that has like, lots of forward momentum. SF or fantasy doesn't really matter

I thought Neil Gaiman's Norse Mythology was a fun light read.

Just finishing Raven Stratagem (sequel to Ninefox Gambit), I think it was an easier read than Ninefox. I understand the world a bit better (calendar warfare was a little hard to understand).

Really, really tried to like Neal Stephenson's The Rise and Fall of D.O.D.O. Thought it started in a promising way, but man it just became a repetitive slog (literally) and I gave up halfway through, which I rarely do.

I did the same thing with Seveneves. I think Stephenson has just lost me as a writer.

Enjoyed Sebastien de Castell's Spellsinger in a YA way. Not as punch as his Greatcoats series (and if you want books with momentum, read those!)

Prey of Gods was quite good, maybe an 8/10.

Void Star was a fun Gibson-esque cyberpunk novel.

Six Wakes by Mur Lafferty 8.5/10, space murder/locked room mystery.
Smiling Penner-Lite

Postby number none » Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:52 pm

hadn't heard about this!

Philip K. Dick’s Electric Dreams is a sci-fi anthology series of ten epic, ambitious and moving standalone episodes, each set in a different and unique world – some which lie in the far reaches of the universe and time and others which are much, much closer to home. While the stories may be worlds apart, central to each is the poignant and warm exploration of the importance and significance of humanity.

Each episode is inspired by one of Philip K. Dick’s renowned shorts stories and has been adapted by an exciting list of leading British and American writers and directors. The series also features an all-star roster of cast who head up this thrilling, audacious and emotional journey into the far reaches of imagination.

http://www.channel4.com/info/press/news/philip-k-dicks-electric-dreams
number none

Postby tonybricker » Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:15 pm

I also read Rise and Fall of D.O.D.O and while the core concepts were fine, I didn't really enjoy it. Something about it almost felt a YA romance novel. I did like Seveneves a lot, and Reamde, so I'm not ready to give up on Stephenson yet.

I did just finish The Strange Bird, a short story set in the Borne universe. I don't want to give anything away but it was pretty moving and I really hope he continues to write stuff in the Borne world, it's fascinating
tonybricker

Postby Conetoaster » Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:54 am

Just started reading this:

Classic 70s Japanese sci-fi recently translated.

Getting book of the new sun vibes from it so far.
Conetoaster

Postby number none » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:01 am

RIP Brian Aldiss
number none

Postby deadwolfbones » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:33 am

Shit
dead was real dumb
deadwolfbones

Postby ouroboros » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:41 pm

Anyone read the Rivers of London series by Ben Aaronovitch?
ouroboros

Postby Smiling Penner-Lite » Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:36 pm

ouroboros wrote:Anyone read the Rivers of London series by Ben Aaronovitch?

No, saw this on my Kindle Recommended list.

Next up: new Michael Marshall Smith - Hannah Green & Her Unfeasibly Mundane Existence
Tal M Klein - The Punch Escrow
Smiling Penner-Lite

Postby worrywort » Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:19 pm

I read the first one. It's pretty decent urban fantasy. Not soapy, fairly grounded in character and mystery.
worrywort

Postby ouroboros » Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:13 pm

worrywort wrote:I read the first one. It's pretty decent urban fantasy. Not soapy, fairly grounded in character and mystery.

Thanks
ouroboros

Postby Classic Water » Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:18 pm

So I ended up grabbing both Annihilation and Borne. Was planning to read them consecutively but having just finished Annihilation I gotta say I'm pretty eager to finish the Southern Reach trilogy! I really enjoyed it
Classic Water

Postby waterbottle » Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:55 pm

Children of Time is good so far – space opera with nearly extinct humanity and sentient spiders
waterbottle

Postby tonybricker » Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:16 am

Classic Water wrote:So I ended up grabbing both Annihilation and Borne. Was planning to read them consecutively but having just finished Annihilation I gotta say I'm pretty eager to finish the Southern Reach trilogy! I really enjoyed it

yeah definitely finish the Southern Reach before you read Borne or anything else
tonybricker

Postby Jeremy » Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:15 pm

lefthandshake wrote:Image

In the middle of this one, short stories that seem all over the place in terms of tone and setting, but maybe that's just due to my not reading many short story collections. I liked her novel The Etched City, which I don't recall seeing mentioned in this thread before.

Apparently this is the only time The Etched City has been mentioned on the board. I just finished it last night. It's brilliant the whole way through and I basically hate the author for having quit writing and gone into like selling bronze sculptures on Etsy or whatever venue you sell bronze sculptures on.
Jeremy

Postby Jeremy » Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:16 pm

You can't just stop writing after you put something like that together 15 years ago, but apparently you can.
Jeremy

Postby joe » Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:39 pm

i don't remember etched city at all except liking it, probably due for a reread
dễ dàng wrote:CHẾT TIỆT
joe

Postby worrywort » Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:52 pm

never heard of it. sounds good though.

1/3 into The Stone Sky. not much action at all so far, which is fine, cuz the gallows humor is still there in spades and the whole tone of this one (again: so far) is like angry resignation. i like it a lot.
worrywort

Postby Guy Incognito » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:47 pm

just want to stick my head in and say that i loved Deepness in the Sky even more than Fire Upon the Deep. the subtle little reveal/twist at the end about the whole spider planet narrative being Trixia's focused translationsToggle Spoiler was such a neat little move and makes me wanna reread the book real bad.
wendy wrote:It is not dank
Guy Incognito
Infernal Dinosaur

Postby dvr » Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:47 pm

just don't read Rainbow's End
dvr

Postby Guy Incognito » Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:41 pm

how's children of the sky? i don't really feel a need to revisit the Fire Upon the Deep crew but if it's similar quality i guess i probably should read it
wendy wrote:It is not dank
Guy Incognito
Infernal Dinosaur

Postby Kenny » Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:34 pm

New Swords and Sorcery fantasy journal that seems to have been getting good reviews has a kickstarter. And thankfully it's not tied to any Sad Puppy/Vox Day shitheads (as far as I can tell)
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1409961192/tales-from-the-magicians-skull/
http://www.howardandrewjones.com/sword-and-sorcery/magicians-skull-table-of-contents

Image REAL NAME NO GIMMICKS Image

Never forget, other opinions are available
Kenny
P-Nut's Biggest Fan

Postby tonybricker » Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:07 pm

A few weks ago, I read The Vagrant by Peter Newman in about two days. It takes some basic fantasy tropes (badass lone wanderer with baby, must deliver magical totem to special place on the other side of the world, our earth has been invaded by demons from a hellish dimension, postapocalyptic landscape) and just does so much with it. The writing style is really minimal, almost poetic at some points, and by virtue of not laying out every single detail it actually made the world more vivid and fun to imagine. If I was a concept artist/fantasy illustrator I would have wanted to draw everything in here. The book is also just weird in an amazing way, some of the concepts in here are so unique and out of left field, especially when describing the nature and motives of the infernal forces. And the story itself is very satisfying, I wish I could read this again for the first time.

I have gone on to read the next two books in the trilogy, and they are also really great and do a fantastic job of moving the story along and in interesting directions, but IMO actually have lost some of the gorgeous, stark writing from the first book - totally worth finishing the trilogy though. If anyone reads it, I'd love to discuss so many things
tonybricker

Postby worrywort » Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:33 pm

it's in my to read pile, just not at the top just yet. i think there's a novella or short story in the series too.

on another note, i just saw the Dramatis Personae to Esslemont's Deadhouse Landing and it's very intriguing. put my pre-order in today.
worrywort

Postby Kenny » Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:56 pm

Anybody got any recommendations for some good fandom media like blogs or podcasts about scifi/fantasy?

I currently read Black Gate, Tor.com and File 770 but always looking for cool blogs (Espeicaly Black Gate, which really fits my reading interest)

But I guess I'm interested in new ways to get into it, like podcasts or youtube channels

Also what are some good publishers for new writers in the genre?
Image REAL NAME NO GIMMICKS Image

Never forget, other opinions are available
Kenny
P-Nut's Biggest Fan

PreviousNext

Return to Free-For-All