General Fantasy & SF Thread [25 seasons of WOT on TV]

The primary forum for general discussion of Hipinion.com

Postby ouroboros » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:33 pm

I made it all the way through and have no desire to read the rest of the series.
ouroboros

Postby worrywort » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:58 pm

i won't try to convince you guys to like something you don't like, but i've loved all three of her series and feel Broken Earth is top tier for her, for the genre, and for recent storytelling in general. one of the best examples of using a fantasy world to address real world issues i've ever read. plus i think she's one of the most empathetic authors, it shines through to me in every character.

i will say, all three of her series are completely different, and not liking one doesn't mean you won't like another. Hundred Thousand Kingdoms in particular is easy to get into. and who knows, maybe finding one you like will attune you a bit more to liking the others? that happens sometimes.
worrywort

Postby deadwolfbones » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:29 am

Loving The Will to Battle so far.
dead was real dumb
deadwolfbones

Postby Kenny » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:50 am

Let's do another book club
REAL NAME NO GIMMICKS Image

If you're like me, you wake up in the middle of the night screaming, "WHERE ARE ALL OF THOSE CORPSES?!"
Kenny
P-Nut's Biggest Fan

Postby tarantula » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:52 am

hey kenny, i saw that dragonlance compendium on yr bookshelf

would be curious to hear yr thots on it as an adult
tarantula

Postby deadwolfbones » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:13 am

I was idly pondering a trilogy book club wherein we read four trilogies over the course of a year. Or maybe a short story collection book club. I dunno.
dead was real dumb
deadwolfbones

Postby i am rich » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:29 am

decided to do the malazan reread and im halfway through midnight tides. still the best series!!!! im doing the suggested reading order from the wiki so i only read one esslemont so far (night of knives). was good but def not as well written. ill check back in in like six months when im done with the whole thing lol
i am rich

Postby joe » Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:17 pm

worrywort wrote:[broken earth] is one of the best examples of using a fantasy world to address real world issues i've ever read. plus i think she's one of the most empathetic authors, it shines through to me in every character.

agree with both of these points.

but i also can't imagine giving up on this series. it was a serious page-turner that i ravenously devoured in three days.
joe

Postby joe » Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:22 pm

also read Ann Leckie's Ancillary trilogy and my view of it seems to be the same as hipinion's: first book was good to great but not mindblowing, sequels felt like they were just serials set in the same universe. the writing definitely felt clunky and jarring, especially after having just finished the jemisin
joe

Postby reversemigraine » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:12 am

I tried revisiting the Riftwar Saga last week and hoo boy it was rough. Feist was big shit for me and my friends when we were 13 or so and I had kinda wondered why his stuff never came up in conversations about beloved classics nowadays. I guess I have my explanation.
reversemigraine

Postby Smiling Penner-Lite » Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:30 am

Pope Laserblast IV wrote:Man, I really want to like Jemisin but the writing itself is so torpid I don't think I can do it. 50 pages into Fifth Season and I have absolutely no desire to keep going.

Feel extremely dumb for feeling this way tbh.

That was my feeling. Couldn't get into her prose.

Currently reading Sea of Rust which is Wall-E except a much bleaker version.

Going to tackle Gnomon next. Can't remember if anyone else here likes Harkaway but I'm pretty pumped for it.
Smiling Penner-Lite

Postby manvstrees » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:25 pm

restarted malazan, got three books in the first time years ago, might do it all this time
halfway through gardens now
Flutehampton will turn out to have always been relished by women who dwell in or near to the past. This is where The Little Reptiles were digitally collected. In recent decades it has become a popular photographic background whenever a maverick cop marries a hooker with a heart of gold.
manvstrees

Postby reversemigraine » Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:11 pm

How does the Baroque Cycle stack up compared to other Stephenson?
reversemigraine

Postby number none » Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:11 pm

It's like his other books but...more. It's probably my favourite of thing he's done, but there's definitely a lot of it and it can be kind of exhausting. If you're a fan of pulpy alternate history stuff and you liked his other work at all, it's certainly worth trying the first book at least
number none

Previous

Return to Free-For-All