Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby manvstrees » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:25 pm

restarted malazan, got three books in the first time years ago, might do it all this time
halfway through gardens now
((Stuffed is loved by old and young because this is where the puddings get sent in. Criss-cross paving and those tinkly hanging bells make ((Stuffed a very homely access to Hades. Full marks.
manvstrees

Postby reversemigraine » Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:11 pm

How does the Baroque Cycle stack up compared to other Stephenson?
reversemigraine

Postby number none » Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:11 pm

It's like his other books but...more. It's probably my favourite of thing he's done, but there's definitely a lot of it and it can be kind of exhausting. If you're a fan of pulpy alternate history stuff and you liked his other work at all, it's certainly worth trying the first book at least
number none

Postby reversemigraine » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:56 pm

Is there any difference between the Collected Stories of PKD series from Citadel...

...and these newer collections from Citadel...

...beyond title and cover art?

(And is it even worth going too far beyond what's in the Lethem-edited Selected Stories compilation?)

Edit: Found the answer to the first question but still curious about the second question.
Last edited by reversemigraine on Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
reversemigraine

Postby walt whitman » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:57 pm

is the philip k dick series on TV electric dreams any good? it kind of looks like poorly directed trash
walt whitman

Postby largecrow » Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:17 am

have not read through the majority of this thread's backlog but did any of y'all finish Bakker's series last year/what you think of it?

been re-reading M John Harrison's Light/Nova Swing/Empty Space trilogy and while the first two are still excellent, last one still feels so obliquely written that it's impenetrable. and I'm usually a huge fan of his stuff.
largecrow

Postby uncledoj » Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:27 am

largecrow wrote:have not read through the majority of this thread's backlog but did any of y'all finish Bakker's series last year/what you think of it?

I'm about 3/4 through the final book, and I like it a lot so far. Love the horror elements in the series, like the Nonmen Mansion in the last book, or Ishual, the Field Appalling, and everything to do with Golgotterath. I mean it's kind of self parodically bleak and I'll never be fully on board with Bakker's writing style, but he can really flesh out an interesting world. What did you think?
uncledoj

Postby largecrow » Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:34 pm

uncledoj wrote:
largecrow wrote:have not read through the majority of this thread's backlog but did any of y'all finish Bakker's series last year/what you think of it?

I'm about 3/4 through the final book, and I like it a lot so far. Love the horror elements in the series, like the Nonmen Mansion in the last book, or Ishual, the Field Appalling, and everything to do with Golgotterath. I mean it's kind of self parodically bleak and I'll never be fully on board with Bakker's writing style, but he can really flesh out an interesting world. What did you think?

Pretty similar. There are passages where I think he really nails this ornate, bizarre, weirdness that is unique to his world. His vision and imagination are as usual pretty profound. At the same time I felt he got a bit overly-self-indulgent in places. "This is the last book of my great, important series, so everything about it must be great and important". It just felt...overstuffed? Overwrought? I guess it's sort of justified, though, in the sense that when it works, it really really works. Just maybe needed a bit more judicious editorial process.

Similar thoughts on the metaphysics and history of the world. It's mostly really compelling ranging to amazing, but parts of the book are so overstuffed with it that the emotional arcs of Akka, Kellhus, and other characters feel almost like afterthoughts. I thought he balanced this better in the first series.

Overall still really enjoyed it, and will definitely read whatever he comes out with next.
largecrow

Postby ouroboros » Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:31 pm

anyone reading oathbringer?
ouroboros

Postby Smiling Penner-Lite » Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:15 pm

uncledoj wrote:

Generally enjoyed the first trilogy though I didn't like the ending. The 2nd series just seemed to fluctuate between character interior philosophizing and impenetrable ancient Aliens. And I thought Robert Jordan had plot advance at a snail's pace.

His imagination and world building is both the greatest and weakest part of the writing because I just get bogged down. I love the philosophical aspects of God hood and hero worship and how he breaks down some of these archetypes but as you mentioned, it's so goddamn bleak it feels like I'm torturing myself and it no longer is entertaining.

I got to the point of "what the actual fuck is the point of this series?" and decided to drop it halfway through the last one and didn't read the conclusion.
Smiling Penner-Lite

Postby Smiling Penner-Lite » Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:17 pm

ouroboros wrote:anyone reading oathbringer?

Not the biggest Sanderson fan but thought Way of Kings was pretty original. For some reason, though I've purchased Oathbringer, I cannot bring myself to read it.

Currently reading: Gnomon by Harkaway, From. A Certain Point of View (Star Wars collection) and the Earthsea books.
Smiling Penner-Lite

Postby deadwolfbones » Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:18 am

Reading American War now. It good.
dead was real dumb
deadwolfbones

Postby tonybricker » Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:51 pm

Smiling Penner-Lite wrote:
ouroboros wrote:anyone reading oathbringer?

Not the biggest Sanderson fan but thought Way of Kings was pretty original. For some reason, though I've purchased Oathbringer, I cannot bring myself to read it.

Currently reading: Gnomon by Harkaway, From. A Certain Point of View (Star Wars collection) and the Earthsea books.

I stopped reading Oathbringer to read Gnomon instead. I don't know why I was expecting anything different from Sanderson, Oathbringer is totally in line with the previous books, I just kind of want to know what happens. I think he gets bogged down in too many details and entry level politics and makes stuff so obvious that there's little sense of wonder in much of it.

Gnomon, so far, is very much more my shit
tonybricker

Postby ouroboros » Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:32 pm

I finished Oathbringer. I can report that it is a pretty average read. Nothing too exciting, a few surprises, and a bit of Wit.
ouroboros

Postby Spotlight Kid » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:36 pm

joe wrote:
worrywort wrote:[broken earth] is one of the best examples of using a fantasy world to address real world issues i've ever read. plus i think she's one of the most empathetic authors, it shines through to me in every character.

agree with both of these points.

but i also can't imagine giving up on this series. it was a serious page-turner that i ravenously devoured in three days.

I am in the process of doing this right now and holy hell. Far and away one of the best fantasy series I've read in years. I am flabbergasted at the idea of just losing interest and stopping, but different strokes I guess. Looking forward to tracking down her other work.

Disagree with you on Obelisk Gate feeling like an obvious middle, though. I thought she did a great job of ratcheting up the tension and stakes without overwhelming the reader with new characters, etc. Especially compared to the Ancillary trilogy which I also read recently, it was really gratifying to watch an already fascinating world get bigger and more elaborate.
shark week wrote:She even asked me what we should do about heroin last night. END THE DRUG WAR, mom.
Spotlight Kid

Postby dvr » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:10 pm

Kenny wrote:Let's do another book club

I need a book club in my life
dvr

Postby Smiling Penner-Lite » Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:24 pm

https://io9.gizmodo.com/we-entered-the- ... 1823088971

Interesting they decided to use Way of Kings for this.
Smiling Penner-Lite

Postby Ted Pikul » Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:05 pm

I read the first Broken Earth book last week and yeah, it's incredible
loaf angel wrote:I love how Ted makes every thread as a testament to how fucking boring he is.

"I bought a new garden hose mk 2"
Ted Pikul
DARE.

Postby ouroboros » Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:52 pm

Smiling Penner-Lite wrote:https://io9.gizmodo.com/we-entered-the- ... 1823088971

Interesting they decided to use Way of Kings for this.

Kind of cool
ouroboros

Postby Smiling Penner-Lite » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:33 am

Oh shit Amazon doing a Culture series! How the? What the?

https://io9.gizmodo.com/amazon-is-turni ... 1823205900
Smiling Penner-Lite

Postby chimp » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:49 am

will be incredibly difficult to film. maybe they're talking about filming a single novel rather than the whole thing, since there's an incredible diversity of settings, characters and plots under the umbrella of "the Culture series"
chimp

Postby reepicheep » Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:26 am

Smiling Penner-Lite wrote:
Pope Laserblast IV wrote:Man, I really want to like Jemisin but the writing itself is so torpid I don't think I can do it. 50 pages into Fifth Season and I have absolutely no desire to keep going.

Feel extremely dumb for feeling this way tbh.

That was my feeling. Couldn't get into her prose.

thought the same about the first nearly half of Fifth Season, powered on and now i'm ripping through Obelisk Gate and luvin' it

ranking this shit up there with dune and hyperion for SURE
reepicheep

Postby number none » Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:46 am

chimp wrote:will be incredibly difficult to film. maybe they're talking about filming a single novel rather than the whole thing, since there's an incredible diversity of settings, characters and plots under the umbrella of "the Culture series"

the press release only says they're adapting Consider Phlebas
number none

Postby Smiling Penner-Lite » Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:56 am

number none wrote:
chimp wrote:will be incredibly difficult to film. maybe they're talking about filming a single novel rather than the whole thing, since there's an incredible diversity of settings, characters and plots under the umbrella of "the Culture series"

the press release only says they're adapting Consider Phlebas

I mean, it's pretty bleak and I'm not sure it's the most Culture-y of the Culture novels, but I guess you'll get the Culture-Idiran War.
Smiling Penner-Lite

Postby largecrow » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:02 pm

I've only read The Player of Games, which I loved (also read his non-SFF 'The Bridge, which was similarly great). Even own a couple of the other Culture novels, probably time to actually read them.
largecrow

Postby Sobieski » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:06 pm

the culture-idiran war is pretty interesting
smoke less weed
get more sleep
always tip %20
Sobieski
Comptroller

Postby Sobieski » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:07 pm

I actually don’t like Iain Banks’ writing style that much but the Culture as an idea is really interesting especially juxtaposed against something else
smoke less weed
get more sleep
always tip %20
Sobieski
Comptroller

Postby Kenny » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:19 pm

Just thought I'd put a general shout out to P. C. Hodgell's Kencyrath series. The world building is strong in though it takes a while to get there. This will sound like it's a critique but it's what I like about it: The world seems to grow naturally and randomly with the author's whim but somehow still seems like a cogent whole. It's not a series for people who will try to find faults but it's a freewheeling fun page turner with good characters (though it does suffer a little bit from the usual Fantasy problem of the names being confusing.

This is all like to scare people away from it, but it's a really fun series that I've had a lot of fun reading. The first book is about a girl stumbling out of a sort evil zone of the world into a city that has a bunch of Gods in it, but she's from a race of people that only believe in one god, but she can see these god's exist. She becomes a thief to make it in the world and ends up staying and making friends with a bunch of people in a tavern. What's really great about the book is it's non-stop action stuff just happens and happens until the books over all of a sudden and you've read a 400 page book in 2/3 days

Look, it's not world changing stuff but it's a lot of fun and can even be funny. What I also like about it is that it's got a really great lead female character and it's written by a woman. And I think it's surprising how kind of attractive that character is, despite being described as unnattractive (she gets mistaken for a boy constantly).

I dunno, read God Stalk somebody.

Here's a good Black Gate post about it:
https://www.blackgate.com/2013/10/15/go ... c-hodgell/
Image [PEACE] [LOVE] [UNITY] [RESPECT] ImageImage
Never forget, other opinions are available
Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby bigcat » Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:40 pm

<continuing my nü feminist fantasy conversation w/myself> just finished book 2 of Katherine Arden's planned winternight trilogy and it was superb!
bigcat

Postby dvr » Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:47 pm

any reccs for something like Chasm City? 75% was set in a sci-fi dystopian city but also had some space opera/hard science elements thrown in
dvr

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....