You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby jca » Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:22 pm

real nice placement
jca

Postby Barthes Starr » Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:26 pm

milknight wrote: maybe this isnt ethical but if this guy is being a dick and wont help you out just steal his design and take it to a shop.

uh yeah don't do that
Barthes Starr

Postby galactagogue » Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:32 pm

milknight wrote:
galactagogue wrote:ive been buggin this artist in oakland about booking and it kills me how 'whatever' he is about it. >.< they don't owe me anything but c'mon just tell me you're booked if you dont wanna do it, don't keep telling me to check later. it's cruel !

this is the one that got me hooked. i want a long boy like this.

aha i love this panda boi. maybe this isnt ethical but if this guy is being a dick and wont help you out just steal his design and take it to a shop.

yeaaa maybe you're right.
...ive said too much
galactagogue

Postby nautical hyperblast » Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:08 pm

Barthes Starr wrote:
milknight wrote: maybe this isnt ethical but if this guy is being a dick and wont help you out just steal his design and take it to a shop.

uh yeah don't do that

someone in this thread did that with a robert ryan design from his website a few years ago without emailing him and asking if it was cool - and it stuck with me as extra shitty. especially because he's the nicest dude ever.
nautical hyperblast

Postby Barthes Starr » Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:10 pm

vast majority of good artists would also not be super happy to find out they were tattooing a stolen design, so it's bad for all involved parties i think!
Barthes Starr

Postby galactagogue » Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:19 pm

im not usually very into the idea of getting the exact same tattoo i've seen on someone before but i would go to another artist with a similar drawing style and be like 'something similar to this'
...ive said too much
galactagogue

Postby galactagogue » Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:21 pm

mostly i dont think it's fun to make artists do things outside their wheelhouse unless i guess they're excited and they have some creative control.
...ive said too much
galactagogue

Postby seank37 » Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:47 pm

I've been having the similar problem trying to get an appointment with Mike Adams. Emails that go unanswered for months. I tried again last week, and still nothing. Just tell me to fuck off if you don't want to book me. I'd rather that than nothing at all.
seank37

Postby nautical hyperblast » Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:13 am

seank37 wrote:I've been having the similar problem trying to get an appointment with Mike Adams. Emails that go unanswered for months. I tried again last week, and still nothing. Just tell me to fuck off if you don't want to book me. I'd rather that than nothing at all.

i had a really weird experience with that dude.
nautical hyperblast

Postby iacus » Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:06 am

nautical hyperblast wrote:is it weird i'm having second thoughts about finishing my arm/having a full sleeve? my whole body is getting covered and when i look in the mirror i'm like "holy shit" but arms seem really intense. i love like 95% of my tattoos and don't regret them but 1-i'm running out of room and 2-i still can wear a sweatshirt or whatever and pull up the sleeves and look fairly not tattooed.
it probably just doesn't matter though. we are not our bodies.
gonna start my back within the next year or so too... that will be nice and will probably result in me only working on that for a couple years since my dude is only out here 1-2 times a year.

I have similar apprehensions about getting visible tats. I like the power/choice involved in showing or hiding tattoos. I dunno, that's probably narcissistic more than anything else, how much are other people really thinking about what ink I have?
(there was a hyperbole)
iacus

Postby nautical hyperblast » Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:07 am

yeah i mean it matters to an extent... it also depends on where you live. los angeles is very tattooed, columbus (where my parents live/i visit sometimes) isn't. i don't have anything that is offensive or that intense though so i guess subject matter matters too. i can always wear long sleeved shirts too i suppose.
nautical hyperblast

Postby wildarms » Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:22 am

seank37 wrote:I've been having the similar problem trying to get an appointment with Mike Adams. Emails that go unanswered for months. I tried again last week, and still nothing. Just tell me to fuck off if you don't want to book me. I'd rather that than nothing at all.

took me months as well but it’s one of my favorites. didn’t have a weird experience beyond slowness. he lives in the middle of the woods and only works a few days a week
wildarms

Postby Darlene » Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:48 am

Barthes Starr wrote:

uh yeah don't do that

yeah wtf
Darlene

Postby seank37 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:42 am

wildarms wrote:

took me months as well but it’s one of my favorites. didn’t have a weird experience beyond slowness. he lives in the middle of the woods and only works a few days a week

Yeah, my wife and I have been tattooed by him before. That time, he ended up only responding to her and left my emails unanswered. Maybe I should try that tactic again. Again, if you don't want to do it, just tell me to fuck off. The guy does great work and he was actually a super fast tattooer. But we're talking about tattoos months in advance here. I've been asking about dates like 2 and 3 months from now. If you're booked, just tell me. When you emailed him before, you used to get a form email back at least. Now, nothing. He posted a while back that he had somebody doing his bookings now so things would get better, but it's only gotten worse really. I've been holding out on one tattoo because I think it fits his style best, but I may just have to give up.
seank37

Postby galactagogue » Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:53 am

Darlene wrote:
Barthes Starr wrote:

uh yeah don't do that

yeah wtf

Y'all need to calm down. No one is stealing anything.
...ive said too much
galactagogue

Postby milknight » Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:31 am

Darlene wrote:
Barthes Starr wrote:

uh yeah don't do that

yeah wtf

haha shut up
milknight

Postby milknight » Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:32 am

obviously try to get it from the real artist but fuck it. its a tattoo. if they dont want you as a customer why cant i get what i want on my body
milknight

Postby milknight » Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:32 am

answer: i can
milknight

Postby milknight » Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:33 am

cant wait to hear the sanctimonious bullshit yall respond with *sips tea*
milknight

Postby iacus » Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:40 am

IMO you should steal it but only if you take the design to Mike Adams
(there was a hyperbole)
iacus

Postby galactagogue » Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:41 am

it is a bit sanctimonious in a really stupid way. how many redundant tattoos get done every hour?
...ive said too much
galactagogue

Postby internetfriend » Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:56 am

i think if the artist is cool with you getting their work from someone else, then cool! and if they aren't, that makes sense and you should respect it!
iambic wrote:no don't make those posts
internetfriend
pubg survivalist

Postby galactagogue » Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:09 pm

i agree ! and also, it seems pretty obvious to me to feel that way. Which is why the wtf pile on was a real eye roller.
...ive said too much
galactagogue

Postby nautical hyperblast » Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:39 pm

galactagogue wrote:it is a bit sanctimonious in a really stupid way. how many redundant tattoos get done every hour?

it kind of depends. if it is an original art piece/painting (which is what happened with whoever that was that got a robert ryan design done by someone else) then it's pretty shitty because it's kind of their intellectual property/something they worked on to make a tattoo out of. most good artists wouldn't be cool with copying something due to ethics. that's probably news to people who don't have many tattoos though.
taking things in as reference to an artist and saying 'do something like this' is totally normal. but as you said, a tonnnn of tattoos are just redrawn flash with a little stylizing so it doesn't matter when it comes to a lot of traditional stuff.
nautical hyperblast

Postby nautical hyperblast » Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:42 pm

also if they're not responding to your emails and have a shop, just call the shop or stop in to make an appointment.
nautical hyperblast

Postby drum machine » Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:42 pm

i really want a pigeon tattoo to fill this gap on my calf and there's fairly well known london artist who has this amazing solid blackwork pigeon with a YSL logo plastered across it which fits the funny/non-serious mood of most of my leg tatts but he quoted me £250 for it, for a straight stencil job of a drawing of a pigeon he probably googled. not tryna insult his craft or the thought behind it, but no way am i paying that much. anyway, that's like the only time i've come close to thinking about getting another artist to do a design but ofc i aint gonna do that and i'll just go to an affordable artist i like and get em to draw me up a tidy blackwork pigeon.

drum machine

Postby walt whitman » Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:50 pm

mike adams took like 6 mo to reply to my email. a few really insanely talented tattooers dont even reply to emails, you have to be on some super exclusive inner-inner circle basis to get work done by them. >:0

that said the dood from oakland has a neat-specific aesthetic, prob v hard to reproduce
walt whitman

Postby Ankh » Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:53 pm

design ownership is one of the dumbest parts of capitalism
Ankh
senior fellow

Postby seank37 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:07 pm

nautical hyperblast wrote:also if they're not responding to your emails and have a shop, just call the shop or stop in to make an appointment.

If there was a number, I would call it. I'm just going to have my wife do it. I even tried DMing him in Instagram, which always strikes non-Millennial me as slimy, and of course that didn't work either. If we don't get any traction this time around, I'm just gonna let it go. I'll have somebody else do my design.
seank37

Postby galactagogue » Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:13 pm

lol i almost exclusively go to folks who don't operate out of a primary shop so i have to the IG thing constantly. :( i actually hate it tho.
...ive said too much
galactagogue

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....