Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby Christmas Ape » Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:49 pm

Robert wrote:I think I realized I was finished with this show when I downloaded the Christmas special and couldn't get myself to watch it. Kind of a bummer, but oh well. How would y'all rank Davies v. Moffat?

I actually liked a lot of Moffat's run with Capaldi more than most of the show from Seasons 2-4 and 6-7. Consistently good/great leads and a sense that Moffat was trying to dial back and reconsider some of his most aggravating tendencies. The most recent Chrimbo ep was terrible, though, and this season had the most inept mid-season story arc since S6.
Christmas Ape

Postby Milk » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:25 pm

Ive fancied Jodie Whittaker for a few years and i like her as an actress too but i have doubts she can be a good doctor. Doesn't seem to fit with her personality. But we'll see.

Anyway i have to say i gave up on Doctor Who some time during the second Capaldi season. Not because of him just because i felt the show's writing had gone down and also it was very much going around in circles because well...it kinda has no other choice to. So I have like what 2 or 3 season of capaldi to go through before i can even check out Whittaker's doctor. That might be some years before i do.
"I'm a quivering collection of the worst and least helpful emotions: fear, anxiety, terror, paranoia, indigestion, dishpan hands.."
Milk

Postby davideotape » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:37 pm

i think she'll be great, and yeah the writing really went down the tubes with capaldi which was so disappointing because he was great, they just had no idea what to do with him in the role. sonic sunglasses was an airball.

hope this new guy running things helps too.
davideotape

Postby hiddenicon » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:37 pm

i think a lot of the backlash at Who right now is misplaced at Moffat rather than just fatigue with a show that has been back for more than a decade at this point.

As for Moffat v Davies, definitely Moffat for me... most of Davies best episodes were written by Moffat and as batshit joyful as Davies could be at times (and he deserves a ton of credit for figuring out how Who could work on TV now and setting up the last time lord gimmick), he never had the brilliance of Moffat at his best. Moffat's reach exceeded his grasp a lot (holy fuck, did Season 6 crash and burn despite some good eps and a great start) and he really started repeating his best ideas (that 3 parter this season started strong until it became a less interesting rehash of The Silence), but I appreciated the ambition.

I'm actually hoping Chibnail plays to his strengths and works towards being more workmanlike and calmer than Moffat... when he tries to ape Davies, he's fucking awful. I hope he takes the opportunity to change things up and slow things down to whatever the modern day equivalent of Hinchcliffe might be. Give Rachel Talalay (she directed the last two eps each of seasons nine and ten, and is doing this yea'rs xmas ep) a bigger role and expand on the whole vibe she brings. Again, Chibnail wouldnt be my first choice, but I'm not at full blown doomsayer mode with him either (I liked Broadchurch, for what it was) but his history in Who has been pretty fucking dreadful thus far. The fucker wrote Cyberwoman for Torchwood, which may be the worst thing ever produced in Who's 50 year run, and Dinosaurs on a Spaceship which cemented the Smith/Moffat decline.
hiddenicon

Postby hiddenicon » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:38 pm

that got way too dorky. but then again if I cant dork out in the Doctor Who thread...
hiddenicon

Postby hiddenicon » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:39 pm

Milk wrote:Ive fancied Jodie Whittaker for a few years and i like her as an actress too but i have doubts she can be a good doctor. Doesn't seem to fit with her personality. But we'll see.

that's why i mentioned Talalay actually... think Whittaker'd do better with the more relaxed, thoughtful tone that she's brought to her eps.
hiddenicon

Postby Christmas Ape » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:45 pm

Can we all agree that it's good the showrunner isn't Gatiss or Whithouse tho
Christmas Ape

Postby hiddenicon » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:57 pm

I dont think Gatiss would have been the end of the world, but I'm mostly happy it isnt him... it would have been just more of the same and I'm ready for a change. I also think he would have felt too beholden to Moffat. Whithouse would have been an even duller choice (and has a spottier record writing for Who), but at least he's been a solo showrunner. Either one of them would have been a slow grind to cancellation in 3 seasons.
hiddenicon

Postby Ampersand » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:14 pm

hiddenicon wrote: The fucker wrote Cyberwoman for Torchwood, which may be the worst thing ever produced in Who's 50 year run

I am slack-jawed at the fact that the writer of this episode is not only is in charge of Who now but also that he continues to have a career writing words.
Ampersand

Postby hiddenicon » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:26 pm

also this from his wiki page, at the age of 16: "Chibnall is a long-time fan of Doctor Who, and appeared on the BBC discussion programme Open Air in 1986 as a representative of the Doctor Who Appreciation Society, criticising the quality of the series at the time."

hiddenicon

Postby badhat » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:12 pm

i know we've cooled on Who but whittaker's look is cool as shit

admittedly the metal thread has recently taken a hit
badhat

Postby badhat » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:39 pm

suspenders are a nod to 11
sweater stripes are a nod to bakers scarf
trench coat is tennant

what else?
badhat

Postby Milk » Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:04 pm

Even if it sucks i'll probably keep watching it just based on my Whittaker crush. :oops:

But yeah i like the outfit.
"I'm a quivering collection of the worst and least helpful emotions: fear, anxiety, terror, paranoia, indigestion, dishpan hands.."
Milk

Postby oh! it's max! » Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:52 pm

Outfit is dope. Definitely gonna check out the new season
seriously.
oh! it's max!

Postby badhat » Tue Dec 26, 2017 3:02 am

man that was the best ep in years

rip peter capaldi
badhat

Postby gambra » Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:31 pm

So Jodie Whittaker is pretty damn good at this Doctor Who thing. Pity the episode wasn't up to scratch for a new Doctor debut, story was a run of the mill MOTW.
THIS IMPACT WILL CONTROL ALL MARGINS

Scrumptious Justice 8-) wrote:man don't be mean to gambra
gambra

Postby Ted Pikul » Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:34 pm

Man this thread
loaf angel wrote:I love how Ted makes every thread as a testament to how fucking boring he is.

"I bought a new garden hose mk 2"
Ted Pikul
DARE.

Postby Hal Jordan » Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:59 pm

more like woman this thread... because of the woman doctor...
well that was intense
Hal Jordan

Postby Ted Pikul » Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:00 pm

D'oh!
loaf angel wrote:I love how Ted makes every thread as a testament to how fucking boring he is.

"I bought a new garden hose mk 2"
Ted Pikul
DARE.

Postby all day breakfast » Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:29 pm

good ep, i like the subtle changes in tone though the music direction will take a bit for me to get used to
all day breakfast

Postby davideotape » Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:44 pm

The music was noticeably overbearing in a few scenes. Like one scene seemed like it needed quiet and solemn but there was this pulsing noodly beat over it instead and was like “huh?”
davideotape

Postby gashed » Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:24 pm

It had some flaws, but Whitaker was great, and it felt like a very new show. Which it needed to do. I'm happy with MOTW for awhile if it means good character writing and no more Moffatt style grand prophecies.

The best part is that there is no hint that the new companions are "special" in any way. Hope they don't get away from that.
gashed

Postby badhat » Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:41 pm

boy these have both been really bad.

i wanna like whitaker but shes doing this sorta tenative matt smith impression and the writing so far has just been dull as hell
badhat

Postby badhat » Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:25 am

dang Rosa was really good.
badhat

Previous

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....