Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby mcwop23 » Wed May 16, 2018 11:17 am

if someone broke into my house i think we’d be out like, maybe $1000?

basically whatever to replace a tv and ps4
wendy wrote:
colin meloy doesn't need to die
mcwop23
bitchez ain't shit but pups and licks

Postby identikit » Wed May 16, 2018 11:24 am

transitive wrote: Where do you live? Kabul?

apparently. I just figured out a nice tactic though, I will keep up my super madness for a bit longer, and then make sure I get away with whatever I fucking want inside that house by playing the "but you did all that shit, remember?" card. so we will end up broke but with a lot of shit we want.

figure that's how you operate smoothly.

oh oh, update:
what the schmuck wrote:I assume the rest of the house is stone/brick because otherwise bulletproof glass is kinda a waste.

thank you so much. yes brick bunker, but confronted with this question:
That would need to be potentially mean putting in a different sill, also since they are on the ground floor i would assume that you might want to open them in case of a fire to escape or have the fire department pull them out (because they sure arent breaking them).

turns out he doesn't know. hasn't discussed it with the construction company, either. is now terrified of fire. and realized he wants a sprinkler system but maybe windows you cant open aren't a great idea.

man.... I thought getting this house fixed up in our absence while we are thousands of miles away would be a walk in the park. I had not properly calculated the crazy factor.
identikit

Postby Spoilt Victorian Child » Wed May 16, 2018 1:27 pm

If the situation actually calls for bulletproof windows, that money is probably better spent moving to a different house.
Spoilt Victorian Child
ok

Postby Spoilt Victorian Child » Wed May 16, 2018 1:28 pm

Has he considered tactical armor? Works outside the house too.
Spoilt Victorian Child
ok

Postby what the schmuck » Wed May 16, 2018 1:53 pm

identikit wrote:
transitive wrote: Where do you live? Kabul?

apparently. I just figured out a nice tactic though, I will keep up my super madness for a bit longer, and then make sure I get away with whatever I fucking want inside that house by playing the "but you did all that shit, remember?" card. so we will end up broke but with a lot of shit we want.

figure that's how you operate smoothly.

oh oh, update:
what the schmuck wrote:I assume the rest of the house is stone/brick because otherwise bulletproof glass is kinda a waste.

thank you so much. yes brick bunker, but confronted with this question:
That would need to be potentially mean putting in a different sill, also since they are on the ground floor i would assume that you might want to open them in case of a fire to escape or have the fire department pull them out (because they sure arent breaking them).

turns out he doesn't know. hasn't discussed it with the construction company, either. is now terrified of fire. and realized he wants a sprinkler system but maybe windows you cant open aren't a great idea.

man.... I thought getting this house fixed up in our absence while we are thousands of miles away would be a walk in the park. I had not properly calculated the crazy factor.

Sprinkler systems are insanely expensive to install and maintain from what I gather. Is the water line coming into the house able to handle the pressure of when they open up the flood gates? Are you willing to literally have everything ruined if you have a grease fire in your kitchen, because a system doesn't know the difference between a small and big fire.
what the schmuck

Postby mcwop23 » Wed May 16, 2018 2:07 pm

fires are why you have homeowners insurance
wendy wrote:
mcwop23

Postby tgk » Wed May 16, 2018 2:09 pm

Aren't you legally obligated to have homeowners insurance?
tgk

Postby Ted Pikul » Wed May 16, 2018 2:11 pm

I would point out to him that bullets can also pass through walls
loaf angel wrote:I love how Ted makes every thread as a testament to how fucking boring he is.

"I bought a new garden hose mk 2"
Ted Pikul
DARE.

Postby identikit » Wed May 16, 2018 8:14 pm

on tonight's episode in "they don't know what they are doing", for your entertainment:

it is 2am, I come from 16 hours work, and we are at it again. so I am simply thowing everything I just read at him. works great.

different house - over my dead body, you only find a house like that once. and the area is not crime ridden at all, certainly not with home invasions that come along with shooting people through their windows. this "my god bullets" thing is just in his damn doomsday head all of a sudden.

tactial armor - I suggested he partrols the lawn 24/7 to properly protect us, because the lawn will be where he lives if he keeps this up, so good call.

sprinkler system - is out for now, because thanks to that post I introduced him to the scenario that the things why he wants that fancy alarm system (namely film cameras, stored at home) will be, as he very well knows, ruined by water and our insurance does not cover water damage you could have prevented - like sprinklers over cameras.

so now he looks lost, fire fighters won*t be able to rescue us from being burned alive because they cant't get in,that is too bad. if I keep going to 3am with the tactic to describe in detail how we will burn to death behind our unbreakable windows, he might crack!

bullets penetrate walls, too - this is currently my favorite. imagine, gasp, with all the bank glass, and then, one of your family members, will get shot - THROUGH A WALL; and bleed to death, slowly. how will you feel? when you clearly failed to BUILD A FUCKING BUNKER.

he does not like this story arc very much, I, no the other hand, am loving it. I can be so annyoing (duh!), by 4am he might drop all the plans just to shut me the fuck up.

:barney:
identikit

Postby fresh salad » Thu May 17, 2018 4:49 pm

Welp,
When I was "pre-qualified" for a mortgage last Monday the rates were under %4.89, now they are creeping up and past %5.
Any prognosticators on where the mortgage rates are going in the next month?
Yep, those are the jeans of a cat owner
fresh salad

Postby mcwop23 » Thu May 17, 2018 4:51 pm

only up
wendy wrote:
mcwop23

Postby fresh salad » Thu May 17, 2018 4:59 pm

That's what it looks like.
It never goes up and dips does it.
fresh salad

Postby brent » Thu May 17, 2018 5:00 pm

anyone ever replace their central ac/how much did it cost?
brent

Postby fresh salad » Thu May 17, 2018 5:00 pm

I don't really understand buying a loan down very well, but does that every make sense?
fresh salad

Postby tgk » Thu May 17, 2018 5:17 pm

fresh salad wrote:That's what it looks like.
It never goes up and dips does it.

We've been at rock bottom for about 10 years so its gonna go up until the economy tanks again
tgk

Postby kit fox » Thu May 17, 2018 5:36 pm

what the schmuck wrote:
Sprinkler systems are insanely expensive to install and maintain from what I gather. Is the water line coming into the house able to handle the pressure of when they open up the flood gates? Are you willing to literally have everything ruined if you have a grease fire in your kitchen, because a system doesn't know the difference between a small and big fire.

yeah they're super expensive, especially in a retrofit. but in a properly installed fire suppression system the kitchen will be it's own zone, and will be chemical suppression instead of water. the whole system should be heat rather than smoke activated, but have smokes that trip the alarm for you. but at that point you might as well go full industrial in the kitchen with a huge hood over the range and stainless everywhere. I've also had issues in houses where the alarm gets tripped because someone took a super hot shower and the steam coming out after the door was opened trips the heat sensor. would be bad if it was also hooked up to a suppression system!!
kit fox
Mike Vance

Postby what the schmuck » Thu May 17, 2018 5:43 pm

fresh salad wrote:I don't really understand buying a loan down very well, but does that every make sense?

It makes sense if the amount you spend to buy down the APR is made up for in the interest savings over the life of the loan. So for example you spend $2500 to reduce the APR by .2% which over the life of the loan (30 years) saves more than $2500 in what you would have paid in interest then yes it makes sense.

But if you're ever planning on doing a refi or selling before the term of the loan is over, it does not make sense.
what the schmuck

Postby fresh salad » Thu May 17, 2018 5:47 pm

Right, but as you said, rates are going to climb, so it would probably be quite a while before rates went down enough to bother to re-fi...

I hate thinking.
fresh salad

Postby what the schmuck » Thu May 17, 2018 8:38 pm

I mean, rates aren't always increasing. From week to week they can and definitely do go down after an increase. Potentially year over year they will increase because they have been at historical lows, but there were also historical lows 10 years ago so there is a potential to refinance.

We decided for a buy down, but that's because we decided it was worth it.
what the schmuck

Postby fresh salad » Thu May 17, 2018 9:08 pm

I just pulled the trigger and I guess can decide later to buy down on that if I want.
fresh salad

Postby what the schmuck » Fri May 18, 2018 2:31 pm

You know whats super annoying? Window people.
what the schmuck

Postby gutenmorgan » Sat May 19, 2018 10:29 am

My co-op board interview is tomorrow. If all goes well maybe I will make a "shareholders in a corporation who are entitled to leases as a result" thread.

Edit: approved! Quasi-homeowner :ryan:
gutenmorgan

Postby goofjan » Wed May 23, 2018 8:44 pm

congrats gutenmorgan!

welp, I opened my dishwasher to load it and sparks flew out and it smoked for a second. I think I've blown a fuse because everything from that side of my kitchen to my adjoining bedroom is without power.

calling electricians now.
plz if u get a chanse put some flowrs on algernons grave kthxbye
goofjan

Postby fresh salad » Thu May 24, 2018 12:09 am

Got the appraisal back and it’s 17K more than what I am buying it for
So good I guess?
fresh salad

Postby goldsoundz » Thu May 24, 2018 12:27 am

as long as the appraisal is more than your purchase price you should be good to go
goldsoundz

Postby tea preacher » Sun May 27, 2018 10:54 pm

So this weekend was supoosed to be all about painting my garage, which has wood siding (T1-11). A few spots on the south side were rotted so i decided to replace the siding and reframe the window that is encircled by those two panels. I get the new panels installed and primed, install new trim for the window, and as I am caulking around the window, get a nasty electric shock when my finger contacts the window.

I proceed to spend the next hour plus ripping cork board off from the studs inside the garage to find what in the hell is energizing the window (and also the door, and that entire side of the garage...). Had to give up around 9:30 when the light was too dim. So I get to wake up and first thing go out and take apart the two outlets and switch box on that wall to see if theres a loose wire making contact with a junction box or something.

Are there any electrcians who board?
you'll never hear me talk about one day getting out
tea preacher

Postby kit fox » Mon May 28, 2018 1:06 am

do you have a non contact voltage detector? i'm not an electrician but that will make it a lot easier/safer if you don't
kit fox
Mike Vance

Postby tea preacher » Mon May 28, 2018 6:24 am

kit fox wrote:do you have a non contact voltage detector? i'm not an electrician but that will make it a lot easier/safer if you don't

Yeah I do, it goes crazy all over that side of the garage. It’s 6:30am and I’m about to head out to explore again.
you'll never hear me talk about one day getting out
tea preacher

Postby i won a contest » Mon May 28, 2018 7:55 am

So multiple things are energized? Do you have metal framing? Or aluminum siding? Is the wiring metal clad? Metal boxes or plastic? My first guess would be that a fastener nicked the sheathing on your hot line and is in contact with the ground
i won a contest

Postby i won a contest » Mon May 28, 2018 8:11 am

I once spent 2 days hunting phantom voltage on the frames of a solar system that turned out to be a lag in a roof truss touching a staple that held an ancient unused antenna ground that was energized by a stray wood paneling screw in the basement. This type of thing can get pretty convoluted but there is a definitive source.
i won a contest

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....