Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby kit fox » Tue May 08, 2018 12:09 am

from what i'm reading trex and pressure treated wood heat to similar temperatures in the sun. what isn't as clear is the level of heat transfer but my intuition says the plastic stuff transfers heat more readily and would feel hotter on bare feet
kit fox
Mike Vance

Postby Merciel » Tue May 08, 2018 12:13 am

For me that's a total nonfactor because I'd never be out on the deck without flip-flops or slippers anyway.

Our wood deck splinters too much and also it's filthy.
Merciel
Hipinion Dog Lady

Postby powderfinger » Tue May 08, 2018 8:16 am

I'd probably spring for composite in a DIY deck project where the cost is all in the materials. I think it's kinda weird looking and feeling stuff personally but you can't argue with the durability. Our project was pretty complicated and called for a contractor due to full construction drawings for the permits, electrical work, cutting an exterior brick wall, etc. so I had to go with the cheapest material.

If we're still in this house in 10 years I would love to redo the decking, railing, and privacy fence with cedar.
powderfinger

Postby transitive » Tue May 08, 2018 11:29 am

Our deck was built in the mid 1980s and is very mildewy and rotted in some places. I'm hoping a thorough scrubbing/power washing/re-staining & sealing will extend it's life a little bit.
transitive

Postby what the schmuck » Wed May 09, 2018 7:38 pm

spray foam is done!

I tried to go into lowes and order a bunch of rockwool for the rest of the ceiling/walls and they were like 'we can deliver it 6/13'. So i told them no thanks and will get the home depot cargo van for $20 for an hour and pick it up tomorrow.
what the schmuck

Postby fresh salad » Mon May 14, 2018 4:43 pm

So long story short I am moving out of my GF's house.

rather then move back to one of my properties and pay more (for the mortgage) and than lose money (on the rental) I am just going to buy another house, and essential pay about the same. (maybe a little more).

I am completely freaked out, and doing this alone and after a 10 yr relationship has got me all kinds of anxiety and not sleeping etc, but fuck it right?

I only wish I would have done this a year ago, everything here in Mpls is overpriced and selling the day it's listed.

I found a really nice place that needs little to nothing done to it (I would like to build a bigger garage and maybe a paved driveway) but it is a very slick property.
Only thing is it is on the other side of town (in St Paul) and further away from my comfort zone then I've ever lived.

Then I will be on the hook for 3 mortgages a month...

Ghaaaa I hate everything.

oh good.
Yep, those are the jeans of a cat owner
fresh salad

Postby mcwop23 » Mon May 14, 2018 5:53 pm

this is what i call “managing overextending myself”

it’s fun and anxiety-filled moving money around to try to cover everything, and then when rent is late it’s gets even more fun!

it’ll pay off down the line tho
wendy wrote:
colin meloy doesn't need to die
mcwop23
bitchez ain't shit but pups and licks

Postby fresh salad » Mon May 14, 2018 6:46 pm

wopper have you ever checked into renters warehouse?

Right now I live not even 2 miles from one property, and the other isn't that far.
I'm actually only moving 17 miles away, but that seems like forever when one of your dofus tenants can't change the battery in the smoke alarm...
fresh salad

Postby mcwop23 » Mon May 14, 2018 6:49 pm

i got a property manager recently if that’s what that is
wendy wrote:
mcwop23

Postby fresh salad » Mon May 14, 2018 6:50 pm

Is it like a corporation you pay a monthly fee, or a dude you hired
Does it work good for you?

If something goes wrong, do they take care of it or bill you more?
fresh salad

Postby mcwop23 » Mon May 14, 2018 6:53 pm

i just started, they basically take 8% a month of the rent and 75% of the first month to place the tenant then handle everything for you, you just get billed whatever the cost of the repair is but they have people available all the time which is the major battle for me as contractors suck

they also simply print you out a piece of paper at the end of the year for your taxes and you don’t have to deal with anything
wendy wrote:
mcwop23

Postby Shotfrog » Mon May 14, 2018 7:33 pm

Today I put flowers in my window boxes for the first time. We’ve been here 8 years.
Shotfrog

Postby tgk » Mon May 14, 2018 7:55 pm

I just replaced my fridge. It was the last major appliance still around that came with the house. It musta been over 20 years old and in the end had to be taped shut lol.
tgk

Postby fresh salad » Mon May 14, 2018 7:56 pm

Thanks wop I might look into it.

Look at this place, I could live the rest of my days here.
https://imgur.com/a/sqsQA8y
Listing photos obvs none of that furniture is mine
fresh salad

Postby uncledoj » Mon May 14, 2018 8:16 pm

Where is that, near Como?
uncledoj

Postby fresh salad » Mon May 14, 2018 9:02 pm

Pretty close.
Shit maybe I shouldn’t post that here
fresh salad

Postby Paul » Mon May 14, 2018 9:24 pm

just put a deposit on a town home. :twisted: :|

i'm a little excited and a little frightened of not having money again. $3000 just to upgrades cabinets? Jesus. 30year mortgage here I come.
Paul

Postby pulled pork » Tue May 15, 2018 12:40 am

what the schmuck wrote:my structural engineer friend is trying to convince me to do do a seismic retro fit to my house since we have 70% of the foundation/pony walls exposed.

i'm totally going to not do it then regret it when The Big One hits 6 months after i close up the walls.

See if you can get your friend to write up the seismic plans. It cost me close to a grand to hire a structural engineer for retrofit plans of our place near the Hayward Fault in Oakland. I signed the WO today to authorize our retrofit job, and then we just had a 3.5 earthquake close by this evening.
pulled pork

Postby identikit » Wed May 16, 2018 9:58 am

I want to do a reality check on myself since we have a slight storm brewing on the homefront:

does anyone have experience with bulletproof glass in their own home? how ridiculous is it to put that into all basement - correction - ground floor windows, on a scale from 0-10 please.

mister identikit opted for that without as much as telling me first, let alone ask, since he knew damn well I would laugh into his face. I am steaming mad!
Last edited by identikit on Wed May 16, 2018 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
identikit

Postby mcwop23 » Wed May 16, 2018 10:14 am

does it cost significantly more
wendy wrote:
mcwop23

Postby identikit » Wed May 16, 2018 10:22 am

yes, because he opted for several layers of that stuff (thicker), but that is not really why I am mad. I am mad because he already starts creating his nuclear fucking bunker.

what are the odds that a bullet from the street will kill either of us downstairs in our home, I mean, come the fuck on. Begs the question what his plans for the garden are, you know, if a bullet from the street offs us in the kitchen, what about being in the garden? can I get a rocket defense system in the garden, please, and also a stone wall that is 3 meters high, just to be on the safe side?

I need to cool off or I will bite his head off. with his damn puppy eyes he also just informed me he ordered the "full package" of a security system. that should be fun, I love me some motion detectors. hope he doesn't forget the panic room.

I am married to a doomsday prepper and didn't know it.
identikit

Postby mcwop23 » Wed May 16, 2018 10:35 am

i’m ok with crazy as long as it’s cheap
wendy wrote:
mcwop23

Postby mcwop23 » Wed May 16, 2018 10:35 am

sounds like it’s not cheap tho
wendy wrote:
mcwop23

Postby tgk » Wed May 16, 2018 10:38 am

just get a dog, best security system money can buy
tgk

Postby transitive » Wed May 16, 2018 10:40 am

identikit wrote:yes, because he opted for several layers of that stuff (thicker), but that is not really why I am mad. I am mad because he already starts creating his nuclear fucking bunker.

what are the odds that a bullet from the street will kill either of us downstairs in our home, I mean, come the fuck on. Begs the question what his plans for the garden are, you know, if a bullet from the street offs us in the kitchen, what about being in the garden? can I get a rocket defense system in the garden, please, and also a stone wall that is 3 meters high, just to be on the safe side?

I need to cool off or I will bite his head off. with his damn puppy eyes he also just informed me he ordered the "full package" of a security system. that should be fun, I love me some motion detectors. hope he doesn't forget the panic room.

I am married to a doomsday prepper and didn't know it.

Why didn't he just go with glass block windows for the basement?
transitive

Postby tgk » Wed May 16, 2018 10:42 am

You can use this to determine how much shooting/burglary/etc actually occurs on your block here

http://gis.chicagopolice.org/clearmap_crime_sums/startpage.htm#
tgk

Postby identikit » Wed May 16, 2018 10:47 am

oh his head would be off by now. glass block look like shit, I want to actually see, the windows are big, and many of them. I picked the wrong term, not basement basement, the ground floor, entry level, so kitchen, dining room, living room etc.

yea see he found a crime report on drive by shootings in exactly our street, from years ago. that is what he is stating right now.

sigh, too late now anyway. as for the dog - we had one in our last home in chicago, mister dog now lives with the inlaws. that argument isn't a really good one, since that dog loved everyone and would welcome strangers by wiggling his tail and licking their shoes, and eventually mister identikit punched a person who was kicking the dog to defend the dog instead of the other way around...

mcwop23 wrote:i’m ok with crazy as long as it’s cheap

haha, I will try to go with that one. I am okay with crazy as long as....puh....it makes him happy?
identikit

Postby what the schmuck » Wed May 16, 2018 11:00 am

I assume the rest of the house is stone/brick because otherwise bulletproof glass is kinda a waste.

I can only imagine the costs of putting in bulletproof windows correctly.How much do they weigh vs a regular window? That would need to be potentially mean putting in a different sill, also since they are on the ground floor i would assume that you might want to open them in case of a fire to escape or have the fire department pull them out (because they sure arent breaking them).
what the schmuck

Postby transitive » Wed May 16, 2018 11:07 am

identikit wrote:oh his head would be off by now. glass block look like shit, I want to actually see, the windows are big, and many of them. I picked the wrong term, not basement basement, the ground floor, entry level, so kitchen, dining room, living room etc.

yea see he found a crime report on drive by shootings in exactly our street, from years ago. that is what he is stating right now.

sigh, too late now anyway. as for the dog - we had one in our last home in chicago, mister dog now lives with the inlaws. that argument isn't a really good one, since that dog loved everyone and would welcome strangers by wiggling his tail and licking their shoes, and eventually mister identikit punched a person who was kicking the dog to defend the dog instead of the other way around...

mcwop23 wrote:i’m ok with crazy as long as it’s cheap

haha, I will try to go with that one. I am okay with crazy as long as....puh....it makes him happy?

Oh ok. I mean, I don't think I would shell out for bulletproof on the ground floor. I don't know. Where do you live? Kabul?
transitive

Postby tgk » Wed May 16, 2018 11:13 am

Personally I don't like security systems because it implies that I have something worth stealing in my house. That's also why I keep my yard and front porch looking shabby and rundown, at least, that's what I tell myself.
tgk

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....