Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby kit fox » Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:26 pm

viachicago wrote:my GF wants to DIY replace all the original windows in her 1910 era house. shes like "you just pop the old ones out and the new ones in".

give it to me straight how bad it this gonna suck seeing as ive never done this shit and neither has she but shes "seen her dad do it"

1-10? solid 9
kit fox
Mike Vance

Postby kit fox » Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:36 pm

it takes my coworker who has been building houses for 30 years a full day to do a couple windows not including trim out

couple questions i guess - how many windows, how many stories? is she going to pull permits? what type of material is the building? often they make you replace those old windows with ones large enough for egress if they dont meet current code already which is obviously an entirely different beast. lots of complicating factors here.

ive toyed with the idea of those replacement sashes but havent gotten around to feeling like droppig the coin on them. those would be way easier but still a lot of complicated measurements and hoping that youve measured right once they arrive and time comes to replace them so ive held off
kit fox
Mike Vance

Postby mcwop23 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:39 pm

what kind of windows are in a 1910 house that they aren’t rope/pulley?

one thing you have to watch out for are the windows not being a standard size, they’re normally close but we had some in a flip house we did that were dicey. i think we got all 30 windows done with labor for like 13-15k but i think that was a deal at the time and we had to get specific historical windows.

i would budget for at least $300/window if doing yourself and 600/window if getting it installed
wendy wrote:
colin meloy doesn't need to die
mcwop23
bitchez ain't shit but pups and licks

Postby mcwop23 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:40 pm

that’s low end too
wendy wrote:
mcwop23

Postby goldsoundz » Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:46 pm

i just bought a place this year and during the inspection it was discovered that most of the windows were leaking and generally in poor shape and needed to be replaced. i got money from the seller at closing for the cost of getting new ones at about $800 per

at some point this summer i'll have to get a professional to get them done. not really looking forward to it but at least it's already paid for!
goldsoundz

Postby Ankh » Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:52 pm

kit fox wrote:
viachicago wrote:my GF wants to DIY replace all the original windows in her 1910 era house. shes like "you just pop the old ones out and the new ones in".

give it to me straight how bad it this gonna suck seeing as ive never done this shit and neither has she but shes "seen her dad do it"

1-10? solid 9

yeah, do not do this
Ankh
senior fellow

Postby kit fox » Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:12 pm

mcwop23 wrote:what kind of windows are in a 1910 house that they aren’t rope/pulley?

ive found a lot of rope and pulley that have been cut and had the metal friction pieces put in instead so once you open them up you find a cavern in the trim where the pulley system is and then you have to pull it and build it out to have something for the new frame to attach to
kit fox
Mike Vance

Postby powderfinger » Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:25 pm

goldsoundz wrote:i just bought a place this year and during the inspection it was discovered that most of the windows were leaking and generally in poor shape and needed to be replaced. i got money from the seller at closing for the cost of getting new ones at about $800 per

at some point this summer i'll have to get a professional to get them done. not really looking forward to it but at least it's already paid for!

that was quite the coup

I would have said the condition of the windows was already factored into the value of the home and told you to pound sand
powderfinger

Postby Ted Pikul » Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:28 pm

I have rope and pulley windows and my ultimate homeowner dream is to replace them with new energy efficient rope and pulley windows
loaf angel wrote:I love how Ted makes every thread as a testament to how fucking boring he is.

"I bought a new garden hose mk 2"
Ted Pikul
DARE.

Postby hi-res » Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:30 pm

are the windows rotting or something? i'd look into window restoration services for a house that old before replacing them. can't get windows made from old-growth wood like that any longer.
hi-res

Postby brent » Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:30 pm

my neighbors are currently attempting to replace our shared fence right now and it looks like the worst shit ever. it took them all weekend to get like 5 posts out of the ground

i offered to pay for half if they wanted to hire someone, to no avail. can't wait to watch the new fence blow over this summer
brent

Postby mcwop23 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:33 pm

hi-res wrote:are the windows rotting or something? i'd look into window restoration services for a house that old before replacing them. can't get windows made from old-growth wood like that any longer.

i agree that this would be nice to do but it’s also a lot more expensive typically
wendy wrote:
mcwop23

Postby mcwop23 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:33 pm

especially if you live in a historical area with GUIDELINES
wendy wrote:
mcwop23

Postby transitive » Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:36 pm

kit fox wrote:

1-10? solid 9

Yeah, "pop the old ones out and the new ones in" is not how this works.
transitive

Postby powderfinger » Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:38 pm

Our 1948 house had the windows replaced about 15 years ago with absolute shit that leak air like crazy, conduct tons of heat through the metal frames, and simply don't function very well anymore. Part of me wishes they were older and worse so I could justify replacing them; as it is it will never make financial sense compared to other energy efficiency improvements.

We're probably going to get the attic insulated and air-sealed soon. We have two original exterior doors that leak a ton of air that I'm going to overhaul, adding proper weatherstripping and storm doors in the process. I also strongly suspect we have some leaking HVAC ducts, some amateurish and inefficient ducting that I'd like to overhaul, and the whole system needs to be properly balanced with dampers. Hopefully those things will do enough comfort-wise next winter that I can stop fixating on the windows...
powderfinger

Postby uncledoj » Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:40 pm

brent wrote:my neighbors are currently attempting to replace our shared fence right now and it looks like the worst shit ever. it took them all weekend to get like 5 posts out of the ground

i offered to pay for half if they wanted to hire someone, to no avail. can't wait to watch the new fence blow over this summer

Man digging out old posts with concrete on the bottom is the worst. Did they at least get an auger for the new holes?
uncledoj

Postby powderfinger » Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:01 pm

Man, fences...

We have an old decaying stockade fence in the backyard and it is tying me in knots because there are so many angles to the situation.

There are a couple of sections that keep blowing down on the windiest days. For a while I was able to keep nailing them back in place, but at this point they're falling apart and so are the areas of the posts I need to fasten them to. The posts themselves still feel solidly anchored though. Right now I have them tied in place with zip ties and twine...

The fence is not correctly positioned on the property line. Not even close, in fact. In one corner of the lot it starts almost three feet in from the line, leaving a brush-filled no man's land between ours and a neighboring fence. But then in the other corner it runs too far and encloses an area that isn't ours and the angle it makes as it runs back towards the house is all wrong and doesn't track the property line.

So the fence is falling apart and probably needs to be replaced. But I don't feel that I can tear it down and put a new one exactly in its place, because it's not all on my land. Similarly I'm reluctant to sink much time/money into repairs. To address this, I'd need a survey and a permit and to change the shape of both my yard and a neighbor's (who have an area for their trash/recycling built up along the fence). And the net effect to my back yard would be to make the shape even weirder - it would be about three feet deeper but 5-6 feet narrower due to one of the corners moving it.

And as I let the fence issue fester, when I put in a shed I'm going to end up putting it damn near in the middle of the yard in order to respect the required 5 foot setback from a property line that is inside my yard!
powderfinger

Postby mcwop23 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:10 pm

i have chicken wire up to stop the dogs from jumping on the worst parts of our fence

i’ve randomly bought 8’ panels to rig up portions of it a bunch of times
wendy wrote:
mcwop23

Postby goldsoundz » Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:11 pm

powderfinger wrote:
goldsoundz wrote:i just bought a place this year and during the inspection it was discovered that most of the windows were leaking and generally in poor shape and needed to be replaced. i got money from the seller at closing for the cost of getting new ones at about $800 per

that was quite the coup

I would have said the condition of the windows was already factored into the value of the home and told you to pound sand

the sellers were pretty clueless in general, but i had a bit of leverage in that i knew they were pretty eager to sell. they didn't even bother to counter
goldsoundz

Postby i won a contest » Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:09 pm

we replaced all of the old windows on our house. it honestly went pretty smoothly. we did 2-3 at a time over the course of like a year. in our case it was pretty much pop the old ones out pop the new ones in - although you also need to insulate the cavities where the weights lived because otherwise what's the point of putting new energy efficient windows in. excluding trim work, we got it down to like an hour per window.
i won a contest

Postby what the schmuck » Tue May 01, 2018 1:24 pm

wife laxed on the window quotes and purchase so now i'm setback until end of june until finishing. she'll never admit that she was fixated on the flooring (which will literally be the last thing to be installed). I'm sure we'll have to compromise and get some milgard since they are local and have a quick turn around, but god damn i want tilt turn windows.
what the schmuck

Postby kit fox » Wed May 02, 2018 2:38 pm

so I guess I'm replacing my back porch. it's been real dry here lately and I didn't put a cigarette out all the way. burned a big hole in the top stairs. could have been so much worse, so thankful I decided to swing home during the break to *ahem* have a cigarette out on the porch. thankfully my cooler has been sitting out there filling up with water all winter so i popped the lid and poured out all the disgusting water on to the fire.

I was thinking about tearing it out and putting a deck in so it's not all bad but man this is going to be a lot of work. gonna have to have the A/C unit moved and chop down this dying apple tree. :x

will be nice to have a little outdoor seating area though I guess
kit fox
Mike Vance

Postby kit fox » Wed May 02, 2018 2:39 pm

i was driving down my street and I could smell it and I was thinking "who the fuck is having a bonfire in the middle of the afternoon." it was me!!
kit fox
Mike Vance

Postby Ankh » Wed May 02, 2018 2:45 pm

lol

is it possible to just replace a handful of boards?
Ankh
senior fellow

Postby kit fox » Wed May 02, 2018 2:46 pm

yeah I could definitely do that but it burned the joists pretty good and it's a project I was thinking about doing anyway so I think I'm gonna go all in
kit fox
Mike Vance

Postby kit fox » Wed May 02, 2018 2:48 pm

feeling so dumb though, i saw that there was a red flag advisory for the area and then learned what that meant - dry atmosphere, high winds, likely chance for fires to spread rapidly. I was being so aware of putting cigarettes out all the way but my boss called me as I was finishing that one and our call kept getting broken up so i was distracted and just stubbed it out and left to go call him back. stupid stupid.
kit fox
Mike Vance

Postby powderfinger » Wed May 02, 2018 2:49 pm

damn that is scary

outdoor seating adds so much to a house, you should definitely do the deck
powderfinger

Postby powderfinger » Wed May 02, 2018 2:58 pm

I have five gallons of TWP en route and am going to start the long process of washing and staining our deck for the first time on Friday. It's going to be a lot of work because the deck is 6-8 feet above sloped back yard and has a partial fence. So I need to painstakingly do the underside and get on a ladder or clumsily use a pole to get the outside of the fence.

Researching outdoor wood stains and preservatives on the internet is a nightmare. I felt like I was buying a mattress. I'm convinced 90% of what's written about these products online is a TWP propaganda operation, but I bought some anyway...
powderfinger

Postby kit fox » Wed May 02, 2018 3:17 pm

damn. godspeed. i'm almost certainly going to do trex because i hate doing maintenance

mostly because doing maintenance is my job
kit fox
Mike Vance

PreviousNext

Return to Don't. Let. Go. You’ve got the music in you.