Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby powderfinger » Wed May 02, 2018 3:32 pm

lol just remembered how, moving into in a house at the corner of State and McKinley in 2006, I drew the room with the quite large private second floor deck

It was totally encrusted with grime and almost too slippery to stand on when wet. I had just helped my dad clean and seal the deck at home, so I was inspired to do my own cheapskate version with a few gallons of bleach, a single scrub brush, a bucket, a paint brush, and the cheapest deck sealer at Home Depot and had that thing sparkling by the end of welcome week. That was a proud moment.I think last time I was in town I saw that the deck was gone and was so bummed.
powderfinger

Postby kit fox » Wed May 02, 2018 3:42 pm

damn dude we lived like three blocks from each other in 2006
kit fox
Mike Vance

Postby brent » Wed May 02, 2018 3:43 pm

uncledoj wrote:
brent wrote:my neighbors are currently attempting to replace our shared fence right now and it looks like the worst shit ever. it took them all weekend to get like 5 posts out of the ground

i offered to pay for half if they wanted to hire someone, to no avail. can't wait to watch the new fence blow over this summer

Man digging out old posts with concrete on the bottom is the worst. Did they at least get an auger for the new holes?

funny enough, they just got one now after giving up on the post hole digger
brent

Postby powderfinger » Wed May 02, 2018 4:45 pm

decided I can prolong the life of my fence indefinitely by using some steel right-angle brackets to fasten the fence sections to the posts since they'll let me screw into wood that isn't rotted and split around the old nails

I pressure washed a section the other day and it looks alright

Of course the issue with needing to put a shed almost in the center of the yard to respect setbacks from a property line that is well inside the fence still festers. I might just get a cheapo resin shed and defer the property line issue. But what I really want is a bigger and more permanent 12x16 shed that maxes out what you can build without needing full construction drawings and multiple inspections to permit.
powderfinger

Postby what the schmuck » Fri May 04, 2018 4:32 pm

Since i'll be waiting for windows until whenever i've decided that my future office is going to be as soundproof as i can make it without breaking the bank. double layer of rockwool insulation in the ceiling. can't do resilient channel, so i'll do 5/8" drywall and joint gasket tape for the ceiling and i'll do 5/8" drywall on the dividing wall with more rockwool. will have to do door research at some point too.
what the schmuck

Postby Kwisatz Haderach » Sat May 05, 2018 4:29 pm

What should I do about dead spots on my lawn
Kwisatz Haderach

Postby powderfinger » Sat May 05, 2018 5:35 pm

I'm having pretty good luck patching dead and thin spots with Scotts "Thick'r Lawn" mix of seed, fertilizer, and soil amendment. I mixed it with bagged topsoil, scalped the lawn, spread it loosely, and have been spot-watering daily for about 10 days and it's coming in nicely.
powderfinger

Postby Ted Pikul » Sat May 05, 2018 8:39 pm

Sanding joint compound is horrifying
loaf angel wrote:I love how Ted makes every thread as a testament to how fucking boring he is.

"I bought a new garden hose mk 2"
Ted Pikul
DARE.

Postby Hal Jordan » Mon May 07, 2018 6:45 pm

Im gonna build a deck but don't know where to start and my gf said dont you have a message board you can ask
well that was intense
Hal Jordan

Postby Hal Jordan » Mon May 07, 2018 6:47 pm

Good suggestion, lady

So like do i stain and seal the wood before i do anything else? If im ok with natural look, do i need to seal at all
well that was intense
Hal Jordan

Postby kit fox » Mon May 07, 2018 6:49 pm

Ted Pikul wrote:Sanding joint compound is horrifying

yeah this is hands down my least favorite thing to do. at work I avoid it at all costs but sometimes it's impossible.

if you are in a situation where you have to do a lot of it this is a good investment: https://www.amazon.com/MARSHALLTOWN-Premier-Line-VS792-Vacuum/dp/B000VXBYPQ
kit fox
Mike Vance

Postby kit fox » Mon May 07, 2018 6:49 pm

hal if you can afford it get trex instead of real wood
kit fox
Mike Vance

Postby Hal Jordan » Mon May 07, 2018 6:50 pm

Gonna do it on deck piers most likely bc that seems easiest i think??
well that was intense
Hal Jordan

Postby Hal Jordan » Mon May 07, 2018 6:51 pm

kit fox wrote:hal if you can afford it get trex instead of real wood

My neighbor has that. It gets insanely hot in the summer. Why do you suggest it? Longevity?
well that was intense
Hal Jordan

Postby kit fox » Mon May 07, 2018 6:56 pm

barely any maintenance to do

to answer your question though, you want the wood to weather before staining and sealing so you install it and let it hang out for several months. new treated wood (that you'll want to get since it will be outdoors) has a lot of moisture that you want to let out or it will just flake the sealant off or the stain will fail. you will want to seal it at that point though
kit fox
Mike Vance

Postby Hal Jordan » Mon May 07, 2018 7:03 pm

Thanks that is super helpful. BUT i figured sealing the underside would be important, but what this posits is... it's not?
well that was intense
Hal Jordan

Postby Ted Pikul » Mon May 07, 2018 7:03 pm

kit fox wrote:

yeah this is hands down my least favorite thing to do. at work I avoid it at all costs but sometimes it's impossible.

if you are in a situation where you have to do a lot of it this is a good investment: https://www.amazon.com/MARSHALLTOWN-Premier-Line-VS792-Vacuum/dp/B000VXBYPQ

There's a thin layer of dust over literally every surface in the house
loaf angel wrote:I love how Ted makes every thread as a testament to how fucking boring he is.

"I bought a new garden hose mk 2"
Ted Pikul
DARE.

Postby conductor » Mon May 07, 2018 7:19 pm

At some point this winter the plow came by and apparently decided it would be a cool idea to hop up on the curb for about 150 feet. My entire lot (and about half of neighbors' each side) now has a one foot area back from the curb that is completely fucked up. Grass gone, most of the top soil torn off.

Christ on a cracker
conductor

Postby kit fox » Mon May 07, 2018 7:44 pm

Ted Pikul wrote:
kit fox wrote:

There's a thin layer of dust over literally every surface in the house

that's why this thing rules, you put sanding screens on it and it sucks the dust right in to the shop vac.
kit fox
Mike Vance

Postby kit fox » Mon May 07, 2018 7:46 pm

Hal Jordan wrote:Thanks that is super helpful. BUT i figured sealing the underside would be important, but what this posits is... it's not?

nope because the wood is already treated so ambient moisture isn't likely to affect it (or is redwood or cedar so naturally rot resistant), sealing prevents water that is on top of the wood from penetrating it. but every few years you're going to have to clean, sand, and reseal it
kit fox
Mike Vance

Postby Hal Jordan » Mon May 07, 2018 8:39 pm

Thanks!
well that was intense
Hal Jordan

Postby powderfinger » Mon May 07, 2018 9:05 pm

I have to do the underside of my deck because I'm using a semi-transparent stain and it's high off the ground so every bit is visible from the street. I was washing it tonight and it finally started to sink in just how agonizing that is going to be compared to the top. Somewhat regretting the choice to add color now... but it's going to look a lot nicer than plain PT lumber.
powderfinger

Postby Merciel » Mon May 07, 2018 10:21 pm

If I were building a deck from scratch I would absolutely get Trex over wood.

I've had both for years (and have visited a bunch of other homes with wood and Trex decks of varying ages) and hoooooly shit, the carefree non-maintenance of Trex is a wonder to behold after the slowly crumbling ruin of our wood deck.
Merciel
Hipinion Dog Lady

Postby mcwop23 » Mon May 07, 2018 10:46 pm

our deck is shiiiiiiiit

and we need pavers because the dogs won’t allow grass to grow
wendy wrote:
colin meloy doesn't need to die
mcwop23
bitchez ain't shit but pups and licks

Postby what the schmuck » Tue May 08, 2018 12:03 am

Our deck is cedar planks and treated for the rest. The dude put on this like rubber coating gray paint on all of it before he sold the house. While I'm excited to never have to deal with it, it's fucking ugly and would gladly have the cedar back.
what the schmuck

Postby kit fox » Tue May 08, 2018 12:09 am

from what i'm reading trex and pressure treated wood heat to similar temperatures in the sun. what isn't as clear is the level of heat transfer but my intuition says the plastic stuff transfers heat more readily and would feel hotter on bare feet
kit fox
Mike Vance

Postby Merciel » Tue May 08, 2018 12:13 am

For me that's a total nonfactor because I'd never be out on the deck without flip-flops or slippers anyway.

Our wood deck splinters too much and also it's filthy.
Merciel
Hipinion Dog Lady

Postby powderfinger » Tue May 08, 2018 8:16 am

I'd probably spring for composite in a DIY deck project where the cost is all in the materials. I think it's kinda weird looking and feeling stuff personally but you can't argue with the durability. Our project was pretty complicated and called for a contractor due to full construction drawings for the permits, electrical work, cutting an exterior brick wall, etc. so I had to go with the cheapest material.

If we're still in this house in 10 years I would love to redo the decking, railing, and privacy fence with cedar.
powderfinger

Postby transitive » Tue May 08, 2018 11:29 am

Our deck was built in the mid 1980s and is very mildewy and rotted in some places. I'm hoping a thorough scrubbing/power washing/re-staining & sealing will extend it's life a little bit.
transitive

Postby what the schmuck » Wed May 09, 2018 7:38 pm

spray foam is done!

I tried to go into lowes and order a bunch of rockwool for the rest of the ceiling/walls and they were like 'we can deliver it 6/13'. So i told them no thanks and will get the home depot cargo van for $20 for an hour and pick it up tomorrow.
what the schmuck

PreviousNext

Return to Don't. Let. Go. You’ve got the music in you.