Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby tea preacher » Mon May 28, 2018 11:29 am

i won a contest wrote:So multiple things are energized? Do you have metal framing? Or aluminum siding? Is the wiring metal clad? Metal boxes or plastic? My first guess would be that a fastener nicked the sheathing on your hot line and is in contact with the ground

Garage has wood siding all around the outside, the inside has cork board covering the studs. I ripped a lot of the cork board off last night to get a look at the wiring, because like you suggested my first though was that I accidentally drove a nail into some Romex when I was replacing exterior siding. (All the wiring has non metallic sheathing.) However that’s not the case. This morning I’ve narrowed it down to being downstream of a GFCI that protects ~8 outlets. The GFCI feeds two sheaths of 14/2 (one which goes to an outlet on the outside of the garage), the other which supplies power to multiple outlets along the inside of the garage.

Since this happened suddenly yesterday and doesn’t appear to be the result of me hammering, I’m thinking a hot wire came loose in the outlet closest to the window. Gonna pull that one out next.
you'll never hear me talk about one day getting out
tea preacher

Postby Brain Stew » Mon May 28, 2018 2:33 pm

brent wrote:anyone ever replace their central ac/how much did it cost?

I just had to replace my furnace and AC unit. It's called a gas package unit as all the functionality is on one package.

It cost $10,000
You know, signatures are pretty night bus...
Brain Stew

Postby tea preacher » Mon May 28, 2018 4:20 pm

Well, I found the culprit (sort of). I rewired the GFCI a couple different ways (to only give power to one downstream branch at a time) and determined that the problematic one was the outlet on the outside of the garage.

What stumps me is HOW it was energizing the garage. I opened the outlet cover, the receptacle was wired correctly, no loose wires. I inspected the Romex, which seemed to be fine. The only thing I noted was that there was one nail just ever so slightly pushing into the sheathing. So I guess that has to be it?
tea preacher

Postby what the schmuck » Tue May 29, 2018 12:51 pm

It took me 3 days and I've almost finished the drywalling the ceiling in my basement. I've got 2 panels left to put up and then i have to start doing the top of the walls because i've only got my drywall lift until Saturday morning. broke down and bought a dremel to cut out the pot lights and plugs. So far its been way easier than the keyhole saw.

also this thing has been a fucking life saver:

not sure i would have been able to move the panels out of my garage alone
what the schmuck

Postby transitive » Tue May 29, 2018 2:27 pm

Brain Stew wrote:

I just had to replace my furnace and AC unit. It's called a gas package unit as all the functionality is on one package.

It cost $10,000

Our furnace and ac crapped out this year (not at the same time). Because we bought the place less than a year ago we were still covered by the home warranty. Anyway, while they didn't replace the whole furnace, they replaced the blower motor and the heat exchanger (to the tune of about $4,000) and I'm currently scheduled to have the a/c replaced next Tuesday, which is about $4,100.

I know they get a bad rap but thank god for that home warranty because we would have been F U C K E D.
transitive

Postby becky » Tue May 29, 2018 2:29 pm

yeah I'm half hoping our HVAC craps out within the year so we can replace them under the warranty.
becky

Postby brent » Tue May 29, 2018 2:38 pm

transitive wrote:
Brain Stew wrote:

It cost $10,000

Our furnace and ac crapped out this year (not at the same time). Because we bought the place less than a year ago we were still covered by the home warranty. Anyway, while they didn't replace the whole furnace, they replaced the blower motor and the heat exchanger (to the tune of about $4,000) and I'm currently scheduled to have the a/c replaced next Tuesday, which is about $4,100.

I know they get a bad rap but thank god for that home warranty because we would have been F U C K E D.

ahh

i was curious because i have a combo furnace/ac unit and our warranty is covering all of it outside of $900. not sure why i have to pay the $900 but maybe i should just STFU
brent

Postby transitive » Tue May 29, 2018 2:46 pm

Yeah, I think we end up paying like $600 out of pocket for the ac but man I'm fine with that compared to the whole thing.
transitive

Postby fresh salad » Tue May 29, 2018 4:52 pm

Anyone know what approx cost of tearing down and replacing a garage these days?

I'm thinking a 2 car would run like 20K?
Yep, those are the jeans of a cat owner
fresh salad

Postby lights » Tue May 29, 2018 5:44 pm

Bit late but a couple years back we had to replace the condenser, furnace, and add in new return ductwork so the new units would get enough air coming in. We knew it was coming, since the home inspector gasped when he saw the ac unit outside and took pictures "to show the guys" since he'd never seen a working unit that old, but still sucked. All in all ended up costing about $15k.

Thank god they did interest free financing, cause otherwise we would have been so screwed. Still paying that off but it's so much more efficient now and it doesn't sound like there's an F350 idling in my tiny backyard whenever the AC is on anymore which is nice.
lights

Postby what the schmuck » Tue May 29, 2018 11:06 pm

We replaced our oil furnace with mini splits (heat and AC). 30k btu ourdoor unit (Mitsubishi hyper heat) and 3 indoor units to cover the main floor and bedrooms. They installed it all plus hauled out the old furnace and a lot of the duct work for $13k. Cost another $1k to decommission the oil tank. We'll put in radiant floor heating the bathrooms eventually and in the basement we are installing convection heaters since it won't need ac.
what the schmuck

Postby mcwop23 » Tue May 29, 2018 11:08 pm

fresh salad wrote:Anyone know what approx cost of tearing down and replacing a garage these days?

I'm thinking a 2 car would run like 20K?

my fried in delray beach was quoted $48k for a 20x20 concrete block garage

he thinks it’s probably an extra 5k since they made it strong enough for a 2nd story addition down the road
wendy wrote:
colin meloy doesn't need to die
mcwop23
bitchez ain't shit but pups and licks

Postby mcwop23 » Tue May 29, 2018 11:09 pm

we want to do a 2 car garage and apartment above and i was assuming that would be like 75-90k
wendy wrote:
mcwop23

Postby fresh salad » Wed May 30, 2018 3:36 pm

ouch!
Yep, those are the jeans of a cat owner
fresh salad

Postby becky » Wed May 30, 2018 3:43 pm

that reminds me that over the past few weeks we've noticed that our next-door neighbor's big raised garden bed that houses an absolutely enormous old tree is causing the wall of our garage to bow, and we've been getting a bunch of dirt coming in on the inside of our garage.

what do I do about this
becky

Postby tea preacher » Wed May 30, 2018 7:42 pm

So the electrician was out yesterday and was completely stumped by how the window was getting energized. I’ve been out poking around too, testing with my multimeter, nothing. Our options go from bad (do nothing, wait to see if it happens again) to expensive (rewire the whole garage).

The expense of rewiring is not nearly as obnoxious to me as not knowing how I got shocked.
tea preacher

Postby southpaw » Wed May 30, 2018 8:09 pm

What's the word on high-end ranges? I am doing a limited kitchen remodel and am saving and skimping as much as possible to allow myself more scratch for a really good range. This place I'm getting all my cabinets and tile from rides hard for the Technogas line, which are visually striking. I cook twice a day or more and this is a house I'll be in a decade or more.
southpaw

Postby what the schmuck » Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:17 pm

You ever call 10 contractors to get bids and the only 1 to get back with you costs like 5 times as much as you thought you'd have to pay?

Fuck.
what the schmuck

Postby brent » Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:41 pm

what the schmuck wrote:You ever call 10 contractors to get bids and the only 1 to get back with you costs like 5 times as much as you thought you'd have to pay?

Fuck.

are you telling me it doesn't get any better if you don't have a warranty?

cos with a warranty, i filed a claim on my a/c may 1st, it was deemed in need of replacement on may 16th and the unit was supposedly ordered, i called back on may 30th and they said it hadn't arrived yet and may have shipped to the wrong warehouse, and now they aren't answering my phone calls

this is bad
brent

Postby tgk » Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:08 pm

what the schmuck wrote:You ever call 10 contractors to get bids and the only 1 to get back with you costs like 5 times as much as you thought you'd have to pay?

Fuck.

Every time. Been trying to find someone to replace my windows for over a year and finally found a reliable dude paid him $1000 to order the windows and then those scum sucking monsters at ICE detained him.
tgk

Postby kit fox » Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:09 pm

yeah i meant to come back and do a big post about how to find contractors/why I think things suck between contractors and customer expectations/schedules/follow through, but SVC pretty much summed it up it when he said "call 5, go with the one who picks up/returns your calls"
kit fox
Mike Vance

Postby what the schmuck » Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:49 pm

i finally got 2 to call me back. One coming tomorrow and turns out the other guy lives down the street so that's looking promising. If i can get 3 bids i'll be ecstatic.
what the schmuck

Postby what the schmuck » Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:39 pm

Fuck, this guy was only $650 less than the other dude. god damnit. I should have just paid someone to do the drywall instead of me doing it all and paying someone to mud.
what the schmuck

Postby kit fox » Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:07 pm

how many sq ft and how much do they want to mud? you should just mud it
kit fox
Mike Vance

Postby what the schmuck » Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:18 pm

it's about 500 sf.there are 2 40" square windows with full drywall returns, some transition work from old drywall to new, and full skim coating of the stairway from knockdown to smooth. one guy wanted $3150, another wanted $2500
what the schmuck

Postby mcwop23 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:21 pm

i think getting a property manager was the best thing i’ve done in awhile

zero stressful texts this month
wendy wrote:
mcwop23

Postby what the schmuck » Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:24 pm

i'm now fully aware when someone says 'oh it'll be like $500' that it will never just be $500 to do something when it comes to a contractor.

lesson learned.
what the schmuck

Postby tgk » Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:01 pm

lol you can't get a contractor through the door for a $500 project
tgk

Postby kit fox » Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:32 pm

thats insane considering you already hung the panels

i would have guessed $1000-1500
kit fox
Mike Vance

Postby what the schmuck » Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:49 pm

Yeah 1000-1500 and I would have hired them on the spot. but the guy yesterday said it would be about 5 days which is why I'm thinking it's so much. I didn't think I did that bad of a job, but I must have! :oops:
what the schmuck

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....