Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby HotFingersClub » Wed May 02, 2018 4:07 am

goofjan wrote:Yesterday I remembered something I hadn't thought of in a very long time. When I was on college I did an independent study in comics and it was kind of a disaster because I had been out of the comics reading game forever and just wanted something easy and fun. And then the professor assigned Earth X. It was absolutely maddening going into that book with no context. I remember buying it, trudging through it, and then selling it after the semester. Man, Earth X...

I could see that being confusing, although it's actually kind of similar to how I approached it for the first time as a kid, having barely read any normal comics, learning about the backwaters of 616 through all that exposition. It was like the key to the whole Marvel universe for me.

When I first started reading comics I had a real craving for facts and information - context was less important. I had a subscription to a couple of Marvel UK comics (Astonishing Spider-Man and Essential X-Men) so I was reading some actual stories, but the only thing I bought from actual import comics shops was stuff like Spider-Man Unmasked and the Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe. The Handbook was especially weird because it doesn’t give you any context for how the characters exist in relation to each other. It was like action figures in that way. As far as I was concerned, characters like Gargoyle, Zuras, The Ringer and Glob had equal stature and importance in the universe as The Hulk or Captain America.
HotFingersClub

Postby sevenarts » Sat May 05, 2018 2:10 pm

Anyone else read Aaron's Avengers #1? I really loved the whole intro sequence and was getting pretty hyped on it but the "getting the boys back together" vibe of the Cap/Thor/Tony stuff was really deflating. I think I'd rather a book about the BC team at this point.
sevenarts

Postby odilon redon » Wed May 09, 2018 8:02 pm

why are the bat-fans so obnoxious about stephanie brown and cassandra cain? were those batgirl comics really that good
E|---------------------|
B|---------------------|
G|-2-2-2-0^(0)-2^3^2-0
D|---------------------|
A|---------------------|
E|---------------------|
odilon redon

Postby creationist » Wed May 09, 2018 8:40 pm

odilonredon wrote:why are the bat-fans so obnoxious
creationist

Postby reversemigraine » Wed May 09, 2018 9:44 pm

Thread got me reading Earth X for the first time and I can't believe I avoided it for all these years.
reversemigraine

Postby buriedinspace » Thu May 10, 2018 9:10 am

odilonredon wrote:why are the bat-fans so obnoxious about stephanie brown and cassandra cain? were those batgirl comics really that good

The Stephanie comics I liked a lot. The Cassandra Cain books never did that much for me. I like both characters and I find the idea of Barbara being back as Batgirl :? overall but it's fine, I guess.

They really Girlfriend in a Refrigerator'ed Stephanie when they put her as Robin and killed her but that was years ago and she's been back for a while. I'd be glad to see her in a better role though.
I try to avoid enjoyable romps whenever I can. -Armond White
*cough*https://www.gofundme.com/help-me-out-paying-it-gt-later*cough*
buriedinspace

Postby Rainbow Battle Kid » Thu May 10, 2018 9:21 am

i liked her look in that newer book a lot with the rad claspy bits and yellow docs
Much Honoured Lord Nefarious wrote:rainbow battle kid you can kindly get the FUCK out of this thread while the adults have actual STAR WARS discussions.
Rainbow Battle Kid

Postby Rainbow Battle Kid » Thu May 10, 2018 9:24 am

oh rad, just saw Christian Ward is doing Thor now that Dauterman's leaving
Much Honoured Lord Nefarious wrote:rainbow battle kid you can kindly get the FUCK out of this thread while the adults have actual STAR WARS discussions.
Rainbow Battle Kid

Postby goofjan » Thu May 10, 2018 10:21 am

that's awesome!

plz if u get a chanse put some flowrs on algernons grave kthxbye
goofjan

Postby HotFingersClub » Fri May 11, 2018 7:06 am

r m wrote:Thread got me reading Earth X for the first time and I can't believe I avoided it for all these years.

Yes mate! Let us know how you get on
HotFingersClub

Postby Rainbow Battle Kid » Fri May 11, 2018 11:25 am

i'm sure this has been asked in this thread but what are some good comics podcasts? i'm working from home now so i like listening to people talk but most of the podcasts i listen to are movie or music-related so i'd be interested in some good comics ones. i started listening to jay & miles xplain the xmen (i think based on someone recommending it here) but it was a little too scripted and i just don't think i gel'd with their personalities much.

don't really have a preference wrt old/new comics, whatev.
Rainbow Battle Kid

Postby reversemigraine » Fri May 11, 2018 11:38 am

It was a limited series and was very much presented from a non-reader perspective, but Slate's Working podcast devoted several episodes to the process of publishing a comic book, using Tom King's Batman run as its framing device. One episode was an interview with King about the writing process, one was an interview with David Finch about penciling, one was an interview with Seth Mann about inking, and so on, all the way down to an episode about running an LCS.
reversemigraine

Postby sevenarts » Fri May 11, 2018 11:45 am

By far the most fun I've had with comic podcasts is when I discovered Comic Books Are Burning In Hell and just went through their archives. A handful of super-knowledgeable and erudite comic critic dudes just shooting the shit on any random thing they feel like covering. I love that they actually talk about aesthetics and form and history instead of just doing plot summaries like so many other podcasts that will cover a particular work or works. They don't update very often but the archives are a pretty great resource.

I also like Process Party sometimes when they get a good interview subject. I'm kinda indifferent to the hosts but they've had some really good episodes when they're talking to an interesting indie creator.

I'd love to find a good weekly podcast more focused on that week's books but most of those seem way too fanboyish and not really attuned to my tastes/this board.
sevenarts

Postby sevenarts » Fri May 11, 2018 11:46 am

r m wrote:It was a limited series and was very much presented from a non-reader perspective, but Slate's Working podcast devoted several episodes to the process of publishing a comic book, using Tom King's Batman run as its framing device. One episode was an interview with King about the writing process, one was an interview with David Finch about penciling, one was an interview with Seth Mann about inking, and so on, all the way down to an episode about running an LCS.

Oh yea this was very good too although some episodes kinda suffered from the choice of subject - that Seth Mann inking episode stunk in comparison to the others.
sevenarts

Postby reversemigraine » Fri May 11, 2018 11:48 am

I'd totally hate-listen to a weekly Hannibal Tabu podcast.
reversemigraine

Postby gambra » Tue May 15, 2018 2:25 pm

I didn't even know SyFy were doing a series of Deadly Class. Time to check eBay prices for #1.
THIS IMPACT WILL CONTROL ALL MARGINS

Scrumptious Justice 8-) wrote:man don't be mean to gambra
gambra

Postby manvstrees » Tue May 15, 2018 2:53 pm

holy shit
this is like finding out that city and the city is a series now
((Stuffed is loved by old and young because this is where the puddings get sent in. Criss-cross paving and those tinkly hanging bells make ((Stuffed a very homely access to Hades. Full marks.
manvstrees

Postby manvstrees » Tue May 15, 2018 2:54 pm

this isn't based on a best selling graphic novel what the fuck
((Stuffed is loved by old and young because this is where the puddings get sent in. Criss-cross paving and those tinkly hanging bells make ((Stuffed a very homely access to Hades. Full marks.
manvstrees

Postby manvstrees » Tue May 15, 2018 2:56 pm

lastly: is this a thing where scyfy shows just have this look? because this fails completely at the aesthetic this story requires, doesn't feel like the 80s, basically for the kick-ass crowd
balls
manvstrees

Postby Melville » Wed May 16, 2018 8:07 am

Yeah, that really doesn't capture any of the aesthetic that makes the comic so good. Without the visual style, the story's probably going to come off as pretty ridiculously "edgy".
Melville

Postby Melville » Wed May 16, 2018 8:08 am

sevenarts wrote:By far the most fun I've had with comic podcasts is when I discovered Comic Books Are Burning In Hell and just went through their archives. A handful of super-knowledgeable and erudite comic critic dudes just shooting the shit on any random thing they feel like covering. I love that they actually talk about aesthetics and form and history instead of just doing plot summaries like so many other podcasts that will cover a particular work or works. They don't update very often but the archives are a pretty great resource.

I also like Process Party sometimes when they get a good interview subject. I'm kinda indifferent to the hosts but they've had some really good episodes when they're talking to an interesting indie creator.

I'd love to find a good weekly podcast more focused on that week's books but most of those seem way too fanboyish and not really attuned to my tastes/this board.

Have you listened to InkStuds? It's good if only for the music choices.
Melville

Postby Rainbow Battle Kid » Wed May 16, 2018 9:00 am

thanks dudes, will check these out.

started listening to the CBABIH one 7a recommended, and they're talking about alan moore.

he's always so funny to me because he's so precious about his creations or whatever, but then almost everything he's famous for is using stuff other people created. like even watchmen were originally the charlton characters, and V is dressed as a real historical figure. and then obviously stuff like LoEG or Lost Girls lol
Rainbow Battle Kid

Postby creationist » Wed May 16, 2018 11:01 pm

gambra wrote:I didn't even know SyFy were doing a series of Deadly Class. Time to check eBay prices for #1.

There are more people who own Deadly Class #1 than will watch this show
creationist

Postby manvstrees » Sun May 20, 2018 6:45 pm

Holy shit I just saw this talk of gmo on green lantern!

Mogo!
manvstrees

Postby odilon redon » Sun May 20, 2018 6:48 pm

manvstrees wrote:Holy shit I just saw this talk of gmo on green lantern!

Mogo!

yeah it’s going to nudge me to finally start reading a green lantern comic

also wonder woman earth 1 vol.2 coming soon!
E|---------------------|
B|---------------------|
G|-2-2-2-0^(0)-2^3^2-0
D|---------------------|
A|---------------------|
E|---------------------|
odilon redon

Postby odilon redon » Sun May 20, 2018 6:49 pm

kind of doubtful that arkham asylum 2 ever sees the light of day
E|---------------------|
B|---------------------|
G|-2-2-2-0^(0)-2^3^2-0
D|---------------------|
A|---------------------|
E|---------------------|
odilon redon

Postby odilon redon » Tue May 22, 2018 9:56 am

https://www.cbr.com/batman-kings-of-fear-kelley-jones/

sickkkkk. kelly jones batman is the best batman
E|---------------------|
B|---------------------|
G|-2-2-2-0^(0)-2^3^2-0
D|---------------------|
A|---------------------|
E|---------------------|
odilon redon

Postby odilon redon » Wed May 23, 2018 10:03 am

is the in-browser reader on comixology slow as fucking molasses or is it just my computer? not sure how these things work
E|---------------------|
B|---------------------|
G|-2-2-2-0^(0)-2^3^2-0
D|---------------------|
A|---------------------|
E|---------------------|
odilon redon

Postby Rainbow Battle Kid » Wed May 23, 2018 3:11 pm

whoa

potentially big dr strange spoilers
Toggle Spoiler
Rainbow Battle Kid

Postby Wombatz » Thu May 24, 2018 5:45 pm

kinda sweet goodbye issue on doctor strange by donny cates (also nice to see frazer irving do comedy (though that's not him of course)) ... it feels like he could have had a fun run if only they'd let him.
Wombatz

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....