Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby sevenarts » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:15 pm

Agreed that issue to issue on Grayson could be really jarring, the difference is so obvious. It's not even just quality - though it for sure is that - it's also that King has a really strong voice, even on what was essentially his first book, and Seeley is just kinda a generic OK writer. The series definitely peters out a bit towards the end, even before they leave, but the high points make it so worth reading. That one King-written future issue that was part of some event, where all the dialogue had hidden code messages, was really amazing.

I moderately enjoyed Seeley's Nightwing for a few arcs too and then I got pretty bored and dropped off.
sevenarts

Postby sevenarts » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:17 pm

Melville wrote:I'm reading Alan Moore's run on Swamp Thing. So much better than his recent Lovecraft books.

Well yeah of course but I thought Providence was actually pretty great. Such a mood of dread slooooooowly building up.
sevenarts

Postby HotFingersClub » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:13 am

Providence was sick
HotFingersClub

Postby HotFingersClub » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:15 am

Just finished a re-read of Earth X by Jim Krueger and John Paul Leon, based on ideas mainly by Alex Ross, who supplied character designs and notes. It came out in 1999 and is pretty obviously a response to the success of DC’s Kingdom Come, which everyone agrees is good, but not everyone agrees Earth X is good. A lot of the criticism at the time seemed to come from a very Wizardy direction of “they made Wolverine a fat loser,” which even at the time struck me as a good and correct interpretation of future Wolverine.

Everyone else basically looks cool as shit. I appreciate charges of stiffness in Alex Ross’s work but I think he’s an incredible costume designer. Just like in Kingdom Come, most of these designs are kind of iconic, at least to me, and I feel like it’s hugely impressive that there’s always an interesting plot explanation for each flashy redesign e.g. Namor is half on fire now because he killed The Human Torch and was cursed by Franklin Richards, and Reed is wearing Doom’s armour as a quick hack to get around Castle Doom’s security systems. John Paul Leon is an interesting choice for a book with this cosmic scale, but you can’t deny the man does incredible work, even though I think it’s drowned a little in the inks sometimes.

What tends to be lost in the Fat Wolverine critical narrative is the immense and mythic scale of the story, and that beautiful feeling of a clockwork mechanism – hundreds of different narrative parts clicking into place. The story, improbably, seems to follow every character in the MU at once, as well as introducing dozens of new ones. The basic setup is that Machine Man is summoned to the moon to be the new Watcher by Uatu, who has been blinded by an unknown assailant. Everyone on Earth now has powers, supposedly the fault of a guilt-wracked Reed Richards living alone in Castle Doom after the deaths of Johnny and Sue. Steve Rogers is investigating stories of a huge army gathering quickly in the west, marching under the banner of a new Red Skull, and Tony Stark is the last human on Earth, sealed inside the chamber from which he controls the Iron Avengers.

This was weirdly one of the first series I read when I started getting into comics as a kid, and its reputation led me to believe it probably wouldn’t hold up, but man this was extremely satisfying to come back to. It hit me hard on this reading how similar it is to Hickman’s FF/Avengers/Secret Wars saga. It satisfies exactly that same itch for myth, revelation and grand schemes, and because there’s no continuity cushioning, characters can die and change in ways that even Hickman wouldn’t have been allowed to do. But then also the future characters flow so well out of their present selves that the emotional beats really work as well: Reed’s confrontation with Galactus at the end of the book is one of the most powerful things I’ve read in a Marvel comic.

Notably, going back, it’s weird how prescient this series seems, not just in small details like Thor being a woman. Earth X is set 20 years in the future i.e. ~2020, and its elegiac chaos really reflects the current state of Western entropy. In this book, Norman Osborn is President and the Red Skull is a teenage white boy, marching under Nazi symbolism but mainly in it for the lols and pissing off snowflakes like Captain America. The idealism of the ageing heroes renders them completely ineffective against the new guard.

Definitely going to continue on with the trilogy now. I remember Universe X as being my favourite, and the one where I had the most complete collection of issues (maybe all of them?) so I’m looking forward to getting into that. Paradise X has probably the worst reputation of the three but hopefully I’ll find something to enjoy.

The main way it shows its age is that it’s pretty dense in places. There’s a lot of exposition at the beginning of each issue, as the characters are explained and placed in the context of the overarching narrative of the universe, past & future. It can be a little jarring, but it’s mostly skippable, and each issue opens up considerably after the first couple of pages. With that one caveat, I’d recommend it to anyone here, especially if you like Hickman and/or the idea of a grand unified theory of Marvel, which I don’t think has ever been done better than in this trilogy.
Last edited by HotFingersClub on Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
HotFingersClub

Postby G_S » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:17 am

nice post. I still have fond memories of both KC and Earth X but I have been scared to revisit them. I think I have to do it now. thanks!
G_S

Postby Melville » Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:14 pm

sevenarts wrote:
Melville wrote:I'm reading Alan Moore's run on Swamp Thing. So much better than his recent Lovecraft books.

Well yeah of course but I thought Providence was actually pretty great. Such a mood of dread slooooooowly building up.

Hm. I thought I'd read both Neonomicon and Providence, but it appears I've only read Neonomicon, which I thought was markedly devoid of dread. Is Providence significantly better?
Melville

Postby sevenarts » Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:53 pm

Melville wrote:
sevenarts wrote:

Hm. I thought I'd read both Neonomicon and Providence, but it appears I've only read Neonomicon, which I thought was markedly devoid of dread. Is Providence significantly better?

I thought so. I was pretty eh on Neonomicon but loved Providence. It's really unique in that it's a horror book where all the horror is VERY submerged for most of its run, there's this very mundane facade and it communicates a sense of this unspeakable stuff lurking just out of view, barely even glimpsed, just implied. It also has voluminous text pieces in the back and though I usually balk at comics including huge blocks of text I thought they really added to the sensibility here. It just does a great job of building a world that's totally ordinary and yet obviously has this dark shit churning just below the surface and yet, even though you as the reader can see that things are off, the hapless protagonist and the other ordinary folks here don't understand.
sevenarts

Postby Rhodes » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:39 pm

Weird that Earth X should pop up itt. Just had a friend ask me about it a few days ago.
Rhodes

Postby HotFingersClub » Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:21 am

What did u tell them about it
HotFingersClub

Postby Melville » Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:29 am

sevenarts wrote:
Melville wrote:
sevenarts wrote:

I thought so. I was pretty eh on Neonomicon but loved Providence. It's really unique in that it's a horror book where all the horror is VERY submerged for most of its run, there's this very mundane facade and it communicates a sense of this unspeakable stuff lurking just out of view, barely even glimpsed, just implied. It also has voluminous text pieces in the back and though I usually balk at comics including huge blocks of text I thought they really added to the sensibility here. It just does a great job of building a world that's totally ordinary and yet obviously has this dark shit churning just below the surface and yet, even though you as the reader can see that things are off, the hapless protagonist and the other ordinary folks here don't understand.

Sounds good. I'll try to check it out.
Melville

Postby Rhodes » Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:09 pm

HotFingersClub wrote:What did u tell them about it

That I haven't read it.
Rhodes

Postby warmhouse » Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:25 pm

had a dream warren ellis live blogged his own death last night. pretty WILD
warmhouse

Postby acapelli » Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:21 pm

picked up a bunch of new #1s earlier this week. gideon falls, eternity girl, infidel, prism stalker, and dry county

anybody pick any of these up? also bought the wilds from black mask. liked the art and the concept. the flower/plant zombies kind of reminded me of annihilation
acapelli

Postby sevenarts » Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:39 am

Eternity Girl was a lot of fun, YA has had a pretty damn great batting average now.

I bought Prism Stalker and Dry County too but haven't gotten to read them yet. PS gave me big-time Prophet vibes just flipping through it.
sevenarts

Postby HotFingersClub » Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:25 am

I liked Eternity Girl a lot too. Prism Stalker's setting was admirably abstract. There really wasn't much of anything very familiar to grab onto there. Prophet vibes were indeed strong but the story wasn't particularly exciting. I wasn't feeling it but I'll probably give it another shot down the line.

The Wilds was fine but I feel like this zombie thing has been going on for my entire life now and I'm beyond bored of it. You'd really have to bring something new to the table to make me tune in, and even making the zombies plant-based has been done to death.
HotFingersClub

Postby Mandingo » Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:33 am

dry country's good. it's the closest he's come to dark corridor, but not really either.
Mandingo

Postby creationist » Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:37 pm

If anyone's interested Mondo has put up their line of Young Animal posters from the Thought Bubble festival:

https://mondotees.com/blogs/news/leftov ... ght-bubble

I bought the extreme heck out of the Shade poster, been obsessed with it since they used it as a variant
creationist

Postby G_S » Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:02 pm

wow I can't find a copy of Snagglepuss #1 anywhere. really loving the series tho.
G_S

Postby G_S » Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:32 pm

everything sucks but this seems kind of perfect
G_S

Postby manvstrees » Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:34 pm

i dunno the story on those guys seems so finished
slott's good and all, at least it won't be a waste but it doesn't thrill me
Flutehampton will turn out to have always been relished by women who dwell in or near to the past. This is where The Little Reptiles were digitally collected. In recent decades it has become a popular photographic background whenever a maverick cop marries a hooker with a heart of gold.
manvstrees

Postby manvstrees » Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:35 pm

now handing avengers to aaron is a dream come true, that book's gonna feel BIG
Flutehampton will turn out to have always been relished by women who dwell in or near to the past. This is where The Little Reptiles were digitally collected. In recent decades it has become a popular photographic background whenever a maverick cop marries a hooker with a heart of gold.
manvstrees

Postby G_S » Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:50 pm

agreed that Aaron is probably more exciting, but I'll always have more interest in new FF stories.
G_S

Postby Drinky » Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:56 pm

I’ve never been a big fan of Slott, but I’ll give that a chance.

Cautiously optimistic about Aaron’s Avengers, but I remember how mediocre his event books were.
Drinky

Postby sevenarts » Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:26 pm

Slott did an amazing job on Silver Surfer for years, Pichelli rules (though I'll believe she lasts past 4 issues when I see it), and I've been really enjoying the FF family stuff in Moon Girl and Two-In-One lately, so that's pretty good news.

Aaron Avengers should be a whole other thing if he does it right. The wrap up to his Thor run has been as good as these things get so he's certainly at the top of his craft. Good riddance to Waid on Avengers too, what a waste. Hope he and Samnee get some weird fringe solo character to play with for a couple of years next. Like give them Madrox to do in the style of the noir Peter David miniseries.
sevenarts

Postby G_S » Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:36 pm

Anyone reading the current Legion series?
G_S

Postby G_S » Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:39 pm

I started my reentry with DC so I'm only just now catching up with Marvel shit
G_S

Postby manvstrees » Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:22 pm

just now got around to dark knights metal wild hunt
man that thing was exuberant as fuck and i dont have an ounce of hate for it
manvstrees

Postby creationist » Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:25 pm

creationist

Postby buriedinspace » Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:14 pm

sevenarts wrote:Hope he and Samnee get some weird fringe solo character to play with for a couple of years next. Like give them Madrox to do in the style of the noir Peter David miniseries.

Samnee announced he's no longer with Marvel post-Cap a while back
I try to avoid enjoyable romps whenever I can. -Armond White
buriedinspace

Postby manvstrees » Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:01 am

i'd be cool with people stop allowing rob liefeld associated things to have any traction
i mean i'm gonna grab all the fiffe bloodstrike stuff but

guys quit doing this
manvstrees

PreviousNext

Return to Don't. Let. Go. You’ve got the music in you.