Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby creationist » Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:07 am

manvstrees wrote:i'd be cool with people stop allowing rob liefeld associated things to have any traction
i mean i'm gonna grab all the fiffe bloodstrike stuff but

guys quit doing this

You're right it's my fault he got the Netflix deal
creationist

Postby HotFingersClub » Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:50 pm

I absolutely feel manvstrees on that point. Liefeld is an old joke that's only getting less funny with time. Saw that Pouch thing on Twitter a few days ago and felt like it was about 20 years past its sell-by date. It would be nice if he would just fade away along with all the other terrible artists of the 90s
HotFingersClub

Postby Bad Craziness » Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:07 pm

fucking finally

https://www.polygon.com/comics/2018/4/5/17203732/y-last-man-comic-tv-show-fx-pilot

seems like they've got the right people to do this well
Bad Craziness

Postby HotFingersClub » Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:04 pm

Just finished my re-read of Jim Krueger and Doug Braithwaite’s Universe X, the second part of the Earth X trilogy. It’s some time after the events of Earth X, and Reed Richards has built a number of gigantic “human torches” around the world, effectively massive torches that will burn the terrigen out of the air and turn Earth’s population human again. But there are a lot of people (led by Pope Immortus) who don’t want to give up their new powers. Meanwhile, the weather is getting colder and the magnetic poles are reversing, and no one knows why. Captain Mar-Vell has been reincarnated as the infant son of Adam Warlock, and is on a quest around the globe to piece together his cosmic consciousness, accompanied by Steve Rogers. Mar-Vell is also incarnate in the Land of the Dead, where he’s preparing to lead an army of dead heroes to overthrow Death herself. Machine Man – the narrator of Earth X – is still in the picture, but this series is narrated by Nighthawk, who has been cursed by Mephisto with eyes that can see through time, and whose visions are being recorded for posterity by his old Defenders teammate Gargoyle.

So there’s all that going on and a LOT more besides. The scope of it dwarfs even Earth X, which maybe accounts for the feeling that it’s kind of bitty, moving quickly between a lot of pretty dramatic scenes without pausing for breath. So your favourite character (no matter how obscure) will almost certainly be in here somewhere, but they’ll probably only get one line for an incredible revelation before the story moves on. For me, that’s not a flaw – I love the size of it, and the way all the puzzle pieces slot together, even if it’s at the expense of more organic development. A more genuine flaw is the amount of exposition. The ideal form of Universe X is maybe 40 issues long and has a lot more Show Don’t Tell to it. There’s also a nagging feeling that certain devices don’t work as well as they should, e.g. there’s a group of about seven mutants who consider themselves unbearably ugly, and want to protect the torches to regain their human forms, but their motivations make no sense, and it’s never explained why they’re any kind of effective defence against the thousands of mutants trying to tear down the torches.

Doug Braithwaite makes an interesting replacement for John Paul Leon. His work (eighteen years ago at least) is probably less technically accomplished and certainly has less atmosphere, but his weathered faces are really well-suited to the world of Earth X, and he makes the action scenes a lot clearer, except where he’s crowded out by narration boxes.

The Hickman comparisons hit me stronger than ever this time. All the things I love about this are the same things I love about the whole Secret Wars saga. In some ways though, Krueger is able to tell a more satisfying tale. Hickman always had to return the world to normal when he was finished in the sandbox, but Krueger doesn’t have those restrictions, and is able to keep bending things out of shape to the bitter end. The run-up to the end of this series is still thrilling: revelations stacking on revelations.

The point of this review: check out Earth X! And if you like it, you’ll probably like Universe X as well! Maybe even more so, via some Stockholm Syndrome-esque investment in this insane world.
HotFingersClub

Postby HotFingersClub » Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:21 pm

Nice

HotFingersClub

Postby Rainbow Battle Kid » Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:24 pm

sick. how has that series been? i'm waiting for the trade
Much Honoured Lord Nefarious wrote:rainbow battle kid you can kindly get the FUCK out of this thread while the adults have actual STAR WARS discussions.
Rainbow Battle Kid

Postby sevenarts » Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:52 pm

It's the best current Big Two comic by a long distance.
sevenarts

Postby Rumours » Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:46 pm

so i'm back on the comics bandwagon again. I went through a brief resurgence last year but got bogged down reading brubaker's Cap - everything up to rebirth was great, but seeing that there is still 40 issues after that was a little tiring since I don't particular care for the character in the first place. Got a lot of trades coming in the mail but here's what I've read so far.

2017:

Aaron's Thor - Caught up through the end of the last volume. Jane's run has been good, I enjoyed it more than the God Butcher stuff (even though the Thor's throughout time stuff is a great concept).he's got a great feel for the universe. Overall, I think i prefer him on strange with bachalo because he's best when his tone is light and with humor imo.

Black Monday Murders- I loved the first four fiercely, and I enjoyed last year's new stuff a lot, but the bar is so high and i just want more material than 4 issues.

Injection - Good, I think this series is gonna be really great to read all the way through in 10 years if it gets to issue 30 or so, but its slow moving for now.

Saga- To fit with all of the Image stuff I read with last year, saga is something that reads so much better in bunches. The same thing I love about it, the large beautiful panels by Fiona, means that there is even less story per issue.

Ms. Marvel- Good. The really jacked the ethos of this book for the spiderman movie huh? (I admittedly do not read spiderman, so apologies if that is a incredibly stupid thought.)

Spinning- Tillie is the goddamn best at making me feel a certain way.

Black Bolt - This was pretty okay. i only read the first trade and honesty was a little disappointed that creationist image from the best comics 2017 thread wasn't there. Every time I've read frazier irving in a random aaron book it's knocked my socks off.

miracleman- waiting for the trade. silver surfer - the market for the comics isn't high, but I'm not trying to spend 60 on 5 trades so I'm holding out for a lot auction. King Batman- My depression retail therapy has included all of the morrison run, so i want to make my way up to the current stuff.

Old:

Deadpool Kill Marvel Universe- Fine.

Iron Man Exremis - Man I loved me some Ellis techno horror. The art does tend to have a stillness to it that can drag the story down a bit. It reminds me a lot of the Bianchi art work on Astonishing, as last year I reread it discovered that it was actually Ellis and pretty alright even though I was let down as a teen reading it after whedon' and cassaday's run. The one thing that bothered me with the story was the ending where it was revealed Maya was revealed to have helped unleash the injection. I understand it thematically to be a foil to Tony's own struggle with the arms dealer nature, but it seems tacked on at the end and out of the characterization, making me find some of her previous actions unrealisticToggle Spoiler

Got a ton of old stuff to work through. Started reading Dr. Strange The Oath by Vaughn and not really feeling it tbh.
Rumours

Postby Rumours » Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:46 pm

also i can't imagine this possibly being even decent https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live- ... tv-1101630
Rumours

Postby Drinky » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:45 am

Has Donny Cates' Thanos book been any good? I noticed that a bunch of recent issues are getting reprints.
Drinky

Postby goofjan » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:22 am

oddly specific question: what are the best NYC/brooklyn used book stores for comics? like, used book stores that have a good selection of trade paperbacks?
plz if u get a chanse put some flowrs on algernons grave kthxbye
goofjan

Postby Mandingo » Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:40 am

Drinky wrote:Has Donny Cates' Thanos book been any good? I noticed that a bunch of recent issues are getting reprints.

it's decent. by no means should you rush to read it tho
Mandingo

Postby goofjan » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:41 pm

Picked up trades of Head Lopper and Godland today. I'd never heard of Godland but skimming through it really scratched my cosmic itch.
goofjan

Postby acapelli » Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:13 am

Anyone read Superman #1000?
acapelli

Postby HotFingersClub » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:31 am

I flicked through it. Pretty weak, but you never expect too much from these anthology celebrations, especially when each writer only gets a few pages.

Bendis's first story was fine. Feels like he's at least thought about it enough to do some decent set-pieces. No desire to read the series.
HotFingersClub

Postby Rainbow Battle Kid » Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:52 am

found Dr Strange The Oath and Dial H Complete Collection pretty cheap. i assume both are worth snagging?
Much Honoured Lord Nefarious wrote:rainbow battle kid you can kindly get the FUCK out of this thread while the adults have actual STAR WARS discussions.
Rainbow Battle Kid

Postby HotFingersClub » Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:57 am

Rainbow Battle Kid wrote:found Dr Strange The Oath and Dial H Complete Collection pretty cheap. i assume both are worth snagging?

Absolutely. Both very good
HotFingersClub

Postby Rainbow Battle Kid » Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:59 am

rad. first vol of age of apocalypse is included, which i've read, but i actually eventually wanted to snag those anyways. AoA is probably my cutoff point for 90s x-men but i still dig it :oops:
Rainbow Battle Kid

Postby Drinky » Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:06 am

I tried to re-read AoA a little over a decade ago and didn't make it past the first issue of each mini-series. The only one I enjoyed at all was Factor X (John Francis Moore & Steve Epting).

Dial H is excellent, and the The Oath is good.
Drinky

Postby Rainbow Battle Kid » Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:08 am

yeah it's pretty cheey 90S EXTREME but i liked it a lot as a kid so it probably gets a big nostalgia handicap for me
Rainbow Battle Kid

Postby buriedinspace » Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:39 am

The Oath is one of my favorite Dr Strange stories (although I haven't read THAT much DS)
I try to avoid enjoyable romps whenever I can. -Armond White
*cough*https://www.gofundme.com/help-me-out-paying-it-gt-later*cough*
buriedinspace

Postby HotFingersClub » Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:24 am

I'd like to read more Doctor Strange but his best moments have mostly been in a larger cast.

Good Strange:
Jason Aaron & Chris Bachalo - Doctor Strange
Brian K. Vaughan & Marcos Martin - Doctor Strange: The Oath
Robbie Thompson & Javier Rodriguez - Doctor Strange and the Sorcerers Supreme
Mark Waid & Emma Rios - Strange: The Doctor is Out

Just noticed that Waid is doing another series this year with Jesus Saiz. Interested to pick that up.

Anyone read the Straczynski stuff?
HotFingersClub

Postby Rainbow Battle Kid » Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:26 am

saiz doesn't seem liek the style i'd want for a dr strange book but who knows

yeah i'm nearing the end of Hickman's Avengers and the Dr Strange stuff in there is so rad
Rainbow Battle Kid

Postby reversemigraine » Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:30 am

Are SHIELD 5 and 6 still on track for May?

I want this to be real.
reversemigraine

Postby Drinky » Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:34 am

The collected 1-4 is out this week so it must be actually happening.
Drinky

Postby G_S » Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:17 pm

r m wrote:Are SHIELD 5 and 6 still on track for May?

I want this to be real.

pushed back one more week but hopefully that's all... https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/04/27/shield-by-jonathan-hickman-and-dustin-weaver-is-even-later/
G_S

Postby Rainbow Battle Kid » Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:30 pm

since i'll likely have some ebay money soon and v much wanna spend money on COMIX, any thoughts on this stuff?

annihilation/gotg/thanos imperative
steranko nick fury (the art always looked rad but i assume it's your typical kinda slog-y read?)
Rainbow Battle Kid

Postby goofjan » Tue May 01, 2018 11:46 am

Yesterday I remembered something I hadn't thought of in a very long time. When I was on college I did an independent study in comics and it was kind of a disaster because I had been out of the comics reading game forever and just wanted something easy and fun. And then the professor assigned Earth X. It was absolutely maddening going into that book with no context. I remember buying it, trudging through it, and then selling it after the semester. Man, Earth X...
goofjan

Postby reversemigraine » Tue May 01, 2018 11:53 am

Rainbow Battle Kid wrote:steranko nick fury (the art always looked rad but i assume it's your typical kinda slog-y read?)

The story is nothing special. Art-wise, the covers are great, and occasionally there's an interesting multi-panel montage or a fun Kirby-esque spread, but I think I went in expecting too much.

The biggest thing I got out of it was a better understanding of the Fury/SHIELD/Hydra lore that Hickman tapped into for Secret Warriors.
reversemigraine

Postby Rainbow Battle Kid » Tue May 01, 2018 11:57 am

Yeah I think that's about what I thought. The one non-recolored collection seems to be more expensive than it should be, and I found a cheaper copy online($13ish) so I wasn't sure whether it was worth grabbing just because it's cheap at the moment
Rainbow Battle Kid

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....