Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby variegated reality » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:51 pm

sleigh wrote:i loved when bill said "i related to your book, we've both hit rock bottom" and tnc asks him about it and bill says it was when he was in his mid-twenties, working as a bartender, not having one of four or five prestige writing jobs in boston

Almost trashed the whole podcast after this, the Reagan thing, the stuff about how Bill's biggest "real life" worry until this year was if there was a basketball trade on twitter, his rambling trying to get a "question" out keeping TNC from speaking, etc etc. I know this is nothing new with Bill but geeze louise. Oh and his Wire takes are so...he's such a herb. Again, nothing new.
variegated reality

Postby supersaturated » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:33 pm

variegated reality wrote:
sleigh wrote:i loved when bill said "i related to your book, we've both hit rock bottom" and tnc asks him about it and bill says it was when he was in his mid-twenties, working as a bartender, not having one of four or five prestige writing jobs in boston

Almost trashed the whole podcast after this, the Reagan thing, the stuff about how Bill's biggest "real life" worry until this year was if there was a basketball trade on twitter, his rambling trying to get a "question" out keeping TNC from speaking, etc etc. I know this is nothing new with Bill but geeze louise. Oh and his Wire takes are so...he's such a herb. Again, nothing new.

You missed these gems:

“When I go to a sporting event and you sing the anthem and the fans stand, if someone doesn’t take their hat off - I want to punch them”

On the Yeah Yeah Yeahs - ”Kind of the great lost band of that whole era” (I had to rewind this 5 times to make sure I heard this correctly)

sleigh wrote:
Feech La Manna wrote:He's one of those people who's a normie to such a high degree that it makes him a weirdo

murray st. wrote:that's exactly why he's fascinating and vital, somehow. he's so guileless in his assumption that his experience is shared that people want (or have) to go out of their way to relate to him; it creates unexpected islands of common ground in his sea of normie eccentricity

:shock:

I found these very insightful. Vital is a pretty strong word though
supersaturated

Postby murray st. » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:44 pm

he's vital because we need some spectral form of monoculture to survive as a society and bill represents the only kind of white man willing to hand over the keys
murray st.

Postby delgriffith » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:00 am

Holy shit.
delgriffith

Postby G_S » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:28 am

supersaturated wrote:On the Yeah Yeah Yeahs - ”Kind of the great lost band of that whole era”

sig-worthy
G_S

Postby mcwop23 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:30 am

coates is a good sport

i can never hate bill simmons
wendy wrote:
colin meloy doesn't need to die
mcwop23
bitchez ain't shit but pups and licks

Postby shankly » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:18 am

The Ringer makes so much more sense when you think about it as a way for Bill to get a bunch of younger, more culturally in-touch people to continually create new iterations of the pointless things he's fixated on. Like he knows he can never move past making Swingers references, so he has to find people who can curate the new generation of bland, quasi left-field references.

The tech coverage is his way of covering "serious things" without touching politics, which obviously terrify him.
shankly

Postby buriedinspace » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:03 pm

shankly wrote:The tech coverage is his way of covering "serious things" without touching politics, which obviously terrify him.

I'm just glad his idea of political coverage isn't a weekly column by JackO, providing a pseudo-moderate Republican take on the news.

Although, Simmons/JackO political pods during the Election were fascinating for the same middle of the road weirdo reasons discussed upthread.
I try to avoid enjoyable romps whenever I can. -Armond White
*cough*https://www.gofundme.com/help-me-out-paying-it-gt-later*cough*
buriedinspace

Postby variegated reality » Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:18 pm

Bill: "Top 20 players in the league just right now. Who are the best guys almost in a pickup game, no trade value etc etc"
House: "We have to leave off the injured guys since they haven't played so they can't be the top 20 players in the league right now"
Bill: "I have Kawhi"
variegated reality

Postby murray st. » Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:34 pm

lmao
murray st.

Postby delgriffith » Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:35 pm

variegated reality wrote:Bill: "Top 20 players in the league just right now. Who are the best guys almost in a pickup game, no trade value etc etc"
House: "We have to leave off the injured guys since they haven't played so they can't be the top 20 players in the league right now"

Daddy like.
delgriffith

Postby murray st. » Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:48 pm

murray st. wrote:he's vital because we need some spectral form of monoculture to survive as a society and bill represents the only kind of white man willing to hand over the keys

i want to clarify that by this statement i meant that a lame white guy starting a media company that uses his unearned cultural authority to elevate women and POC is an unquestionable net good not only in that elevation, but in creating an avenue for sorely needed inter-generational dialogue
murray st.

Postby reversemigraine » Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:57 pm

murray st. wrote:sorely needed inter-generational dialogue

Like Tate Frazier teeing up Luca Brasi jokes for Mike Lombardi.
reversemigraine

Postby murray st. » Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:57 pm

reversemigraine wrote:

you joke, but...
murray st.

Postby reversemigraine » Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:59 pm

I couldn't help myself.
reversemigraine

Postby delgriffith » Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:59 pm

All of Bill's employees pretending they've ever watched a movie on cable for the 50th time.
delgriffith

Postby speakers » Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:00 pm

murray st. wrote:
murray st. wrote:he's vital because we need some spectral form of monoculture to survive as a society and bill represents the only kind of white man willing to hand over the keys

i want to clarify that by this statement i meant that a lame white guy starting a media company that uses his unearned cultural authority to elevate women and POC is an unquestionable net good not only in that elevation, but in creating an avenue for sorely needed inter-generational dialogue

agreed

and much like appreciating noted doofus kyrie irving's beautiful game, we just need to provide some context to any praise with something like "noted doofus"

lame white guy is a good start but perhaps not illustrative enough

i mean the guy likes reagan
speakers

Postby Eyeball Kid » Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:04 pm

murray st. wrote:
reversemigraine wrote:

you joke, but...

This is like in the Grantland days when Simmons and Zach Lowe would do those shared columns and Lowe would occasionally drop a pop-culture reference that he never included in his own stuff because you know it's a surefire way to keep the boss engaged.
Eyeball Kid

Postby speakers » Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:05 pm

Eyeball Kid wrote:
murray st. wrote:
reversemigraine wrote:

you joke, but...

This is like in the Grantland days when Simmons and Zach Lowe would do those shared columns and Lowe would occasionally drop a pop-culture reference that he never included in his own stuff because you know it's a surefire way to keep the boss engaged.

agreed simmons is trump
speakers

Postby trouble » Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:10 pm

speakers wrote:agreed simmons is trump

trouble
ride.

Postby Beautiful Jugdish » Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:15 pm

i can definitely respect a "soup is the best food" position. its not mine, but i respect it.
hello
Beautiful Jugdish

Postby figaro » Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:43 pm

really love mike lombardis insanely deep NFL insight that seems to solely consist of "if belichick coached this team let me tell you"
figaro

Postby whatabout tim » Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:45 pm

Isn't "if belichick was the coach" literally one of their shticks now?
tim
whatabout tim

Postby Eyeball Kid » Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:50 pm

figaro wrote:really love mike lombardis insanely deep NFL insight that seems to solely consist of "if belichick coached this team let me tell you"

I follow The Ringer on Twitter, so occasionally I see Lombardi's tweets in my feed. They're paying the guy to say stuff like "[insert team here] has to stop turning over the ball if they want to win this game." Insightful!
Eyeball Kid

Postby reversemigraine » Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:55 pm

I've always had the sense that Bill would very much prefer the NFL podcast to be Lombardi & Frazier exclusively. There's something kinda passive-aggressive about their episodes sharing a title and feed with the Mays & Clark stuff.
reversemigraine

Postby buriedinspace » Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:55 pm

delgriffith wrote:All of Bill's employees pretending they've ever watched a movie on cable for the 50th time.

This is one of the more confusing aspects of the Simmons experience... which is saying something.

Do you think 'The Rewatchables' was his idea or just someone in the office sucking up?
I try to avoid enjoyable romps whenever I can. -Armond White
*cough*https://www.gofundme.com/help-me-out-paying-it-gt-later*cough*
buriedinspace

Postby death is my amigo » Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:39 am

laughed aloud to myself tonight walking down the street thinking about the idea of "normie eccentricity"
REAL BASED SLOB wrote:after the javy home run WGN came back with an extended fan cam sequence soundtracked by meat puppets - up on the sun and i've just been doing bong rips and jamming meat puppets since
death is my amigo
ok

Postby speakers » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:32 am

sleigh wrote:laughed aloud to myself tonight walking down the street thinking about the idea of "normie eccentricity"

"The Cheesecake Factory"
speakers

Postby delgriffith » Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:38 pm

variegated reality wrote:Bill: "Top 20 players in the league just right now. Who are the best guys almost in a pickup game, no trade value etc etc"

I listened to this while I was cooking and it was completely incoherent.
delgriffith

Postby staple » Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:48 pm

mcwop23 wrote:i can never hate bill simmons
does not want to say hipinion in a court of law
staple

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....