Official 2011-12 NBA LOCKED IN Thread

Jesus christ you have to be kidding me.

Postby fester » Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:35 pm

I saw Michael Cage at Sharper Image. Unbelievably huge dude.
LETS-GO-POOP
fester

Postby sako » Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:42 pm

Asian Santa Baby wrote:The day I talk shit about Super Mario is the day I die.

this is why we are bros4lyfe
speedin' like a demon on 101 south
sako

Postby Sweet Gregory Pectin » Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:48 pm

Peoria, IL- The Peoria Chiefs have added a LeBron James 2011 NBA Championship Replica Ring Giveaway to all fans on Thursday June 16 to enhance the Salute to the 1990s Chicago Bulls Championship Teams Night. The replica ring, which like LeBron's is non-existent, will be handed out to all fans through the gates prior to the 7:00 p.m. game against Wisconsin.

[...]

In addition to the LeBron replica ring, the Chiefs are looking into whether or not the game can skip the fourth inning to honor King James who took off the fourth quarter of every finals game.

"We aren't sure if the league will allow it," said team President Rocky Vonachen. "But if LeBron doesn't need to show up for the fourth, maybe we won't either."

One lucky fan will win a replica of James' 2011 Finals MVP Award which he earned with his clutch fourth quarter play. Fans will also have the opportunity to learn how to perform the Heimlich to prevent themselves or their colleagues from choking in a big situation.

"Really this is just us getting back to the real world and waking up today and trying to solve our own personal problems," said Vice President of Ticket Sales Eric Obalil.

http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20110614&content_id=20465038&vkey=pr_t443&fext=.jsp&sid=t443
Sweet Gregory Pectin

Postby 5% Tint » Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:31 am

that is incredible
5% Tint

Postby Kuboaa » Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:05 am

that makes me want to go to more minor league baseball games
Kuboaa

Postby bold man » Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:36 am

its great that its a cubs affiliate too
in the international space station having a three-way with hillary clinton and sarah palin
bold man

Postby Zurich » Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:34 pm

joe dumars presents darko pt. 2
Zurich

Postby pissydan » Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:35 pm

why airplanes crash wrote:
ecto wrote:Yeah... I like to troll about the Celtics but I'm drunk so I will let you all in on a secret: we are fucked six ways from Sunday

Basically all I care about is getting Marquis back

daniels?
I was wearing a Far Side t-shirt when he came over. "I bet you didn't think I was the sort of person who wore t-shirts," I told him. (Our school had a dress code.) "I have three."

I could see how e-mailing the wrong person about sexy bathtime could be embarrassing.
pissydan

Postby pissydan » Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:47 pm

IRZ wrote:Image

deshawn stephenson

deshawn arrested for public intox. details to come.
I was wearing a Far Side t-shirt when he came over. "I bet you didn't think I was the sort of person who wore t-shirts," I told him. (Our school had a dress code.) "I have three."

I could see how e-mailing the wrong person about sexy bathtime could be embarrassing.
pissydan

Postby 5% Tint » Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:55 pm

i really hope thats true
5% Tint

Postby pissydan » Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:09 pm

Deep Ellum Community Association

DECA Board Resolution

WHEREAS Deep Ellum is a longtime home of the Dallas Mavericks organization; and

WHEREAS the Dallas Mavericks have done Deep Ellum and Dallas proud by winning the NBA Championship;

THEREFORE the Deep Ellum Community Association unanimously resolves to rename Deep Ellum to "Dirk Ellum" for the week of June 16-22, 2011.

pissydan

Postby pinkerton » Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:13 pm

lebron to the hawks for smith and williams
pinkerton

Postby dog liver » Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:40 pm

After the Mavs won the NBA title Sunday, Stevenson had been vocal in his criticism of the Miami Heat, particularly LeBron James, calling the team "classless."

Irving police said that they were called to the Grand Venetian apartments about 10:30 p.m. CT Tuesday to check out a report of an intoxicated person walking in the area.

They found Stevenson, who does not live there, and he did not appear to know where he was. He was given a field sobriety test, and based on the test, his statements and police observations, he was arrested for public intoxication.

Stevenson did not resist arrest and posted bail of $475 about 5:30 a.m. Wednesday.

"They felt he was a danger to himself and others," Irving public information officer John Argumaniz said. "Basically, he was intoxicated to a point where he didn't feel comfortable letting him walk away or leave. They didn't have any other options at that point."

Stevenson had nine points in the title clinching game.
dog liver

Postby 5% Tint » Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:45 pm

hes my hero
5% Tint

Postby sako » Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:51 pm

public drunkenness is the best arrest
sako

Postby pissydan » Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:12 pm

just got permission to go to parade tomorrow, including a season ticket holder event to be held inside the AAC afterward!!!!

pissydan

Postby sako » Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:18 pm

tell rolando blackman i say SUP!
sako

Postby pissydan » Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:27 pm

im gonna slap him on the bottom...

pissydan

Postby jerbear » Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:15 pm

happy for u dan
jerbear

Postby pissydan » Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:59 pm

pissydan

Postby keykey » Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:30 pm

biz wrote:
guidance wrote:i hope the lockout lasts all season so the cavs get the number one pick again next year

no i don't. life sucks without the nba.
We'll probably be picking in the top 5 again

Starting Lineup 2011:
Kyrie Irving
Bobby Sura
Lee Nailon
Clarence Weatherspoon
Michael Cage

i want Fat Lever, Bruno Sundov, Michael Doleac, Luke Jackson, Ira Newble, and tony delk on the bench.
i can beat the president in a slam dunk contest and still not feel good
keykey

Postby bold man » Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:51 pm

what about jiri welsch
in the international space station having a three-way with hillary clinton and sarah palin
bold man

Postby doc shivers » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:49 pm

did anyone read that Scoop Jackson article about Dirk? what a fucking bum.
doc shivers

Postby full of fire » Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:07 pm

@FakeCoachPop
Enjoy your ring Dallas. Notice ring is singular.
You've got to watch people's posts. I know guys want to post and everything but we all want to post and provide for our families and have a job.
full of fire

Postby doc shivers » Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:28 pm

will someone post kevin pelton's Rubio article?
doc shivers

Postby Milquetoaster Strudels » Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:30 pm

I too would be interested in reading it. Doesn't seem like many American columnists really grasp the difference between the Euroleague and NBA, though
Milquetoaster Strudels

Postby 5% Tint » Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:38 pm

Two years after the Minnesota Timberwolves drafted him fifth overall, it appears Ricky Rubio is headed for the NBA. Now comes the more important question: Can Rubio play? Precocious talent made Rubio a lottery pick, but his disappointing 2010-11 campaign for FC Barcelona renewed doubts about Rubio's unique skill set.

While Rubio may be a mystery to most American fans, he already has a long track record of performance as a professional in Europe. In "Pro Basketball Prospectus 2010-11," we found that the Euroleague ranks second only to the NBA in terms of level of play -- higher than even the toughest NCAA competition.

The same method used to compare leagues serves as the foundation for translating Euroleague statistics to their NBA equivalents, a method very similar to the one used by ESPN Insider's John Hollinger in the past. Based on the track record of nearly 50 players who have crossed the pond in both directions, we know that players coming from the Euroleague to the NBA tend to see their steal rates and usage decline dramatically. But because of stingy European scorers (or their generous American counterparts), they actually tend to increase their assists.

Combining Rubio's translated performance the past two seasons with the average development of players at the same age, and assuming he plays the same 30.4 minutes per game that Timberwolves starter Luke Ridnour played last season, Rubio projects to have the following stat line:

8.9 points per game
4.6 rebounds per game
7.3 assists per game
1.8 steals per game

For a rookie point guard who will turn 21 just before the season, those would be excellent numbers. Rubio is unlikely to be effective as a scorer -- Ridnour averaged 11.8 points in the same minutes -- but this projection would put him just outside the league's top 10 in assists per game and comfortably in the top 10 in steals.

What Rubio's conventional stats fail to do justice to is just how extreme the strengths and weaknesses of his game truly are. For that, we need to dig into some more advanced stats:

Stat line
What Ricky Rubio's numbers project to look like in his rookie NBA season.

2P% 3P% FT% TS% Reb% Ast% Stl% Usg TO%
.358 .267 .886 .493 .084 .104 .026 .167 .224

The biggest weakness of Rubio's game isn't hard to spot: He struggles to shoot the basketball, at least when confronted by defenders (though Rubio is an excellent free throw shooter). Turning to a more conventional number, Rubio is projected to shoot 31.7 percent from the field. Just two players in the last four decades have shot so poorly in a season with at least 250 attempts: uber-bust Nikoloz Tskitishvili and journeyman Erick Strickland.

Rubio's 3-point shot was showing signs of improvement before this season, when he cratered to 22.4 percent (11-of-49) from beyond the arc in Euroleague play. Not coincidentally, this marked the first year FIBA moved the international line back to 22 feet, 2 inches from its previous distance of 20 feet, 6 inches. In time, Rubio may grow into a capable 3-point shooter from the NBA line (23 feet, 9 inches). But finishing inside the arc has been a more persistent foe. Only one NBA regular (Steve Blake of the L.A. Lakers, at 32.7 percent) shot as poorly on 2s in 2010-11 as Rubio's projection.

Turnovers also figure to be a problem for Rubio as a rookie. It is possible to succeed while turning the ball over on more than 22 percent of your possessions -- Jason Kidd, Steve Nash and Rajon Rondo all fell into that category this season -- but Rubio's decision-making is still a work in progress.

So if he can't shoot and turns the ball over, why is Rubio worth the trouble? The answer lies in the rest of his stat line, where Rubio excels. Once we account for European scoring, Rubio's vaunted court vision is easily evident. Just 11 point guards handed out an assist on at least 10 percent of their teams' plays in 2010-11. Eight of the 11 have been All-Stars at some point, and the others are career starters.

Reviews of Rubio's individual defense are mixed, but there's no questioning his abilities as a thief. Rubio's translated steal rate would put him just outside the league's top 10. Rubio will also help the Timberwolves on the glass, where he hasn't gotten enough credit. If he indeed grabs 8.4 percent of all available rebounds, as his translation indicates, Rubio would lead all point guards. The Oklahoma City Thunder's Russell Westbrook was tops in rebounding from the point guard spot in 2010-11, grabbing 7.7 percent of available rebounds.

Based on Rubio's Euroleague performance, he should be able to help Minnesota as a rookie by upgrading a position that was a major weakness in 2010-11. Ridnour was stretched playing 30 minutes a night, especially defensively, and Jonny Flynn proved a terrible fit for coach Kurt Rambis' triangle offense. A Rubio-Ridnour combination would be much more effective.

Rubio remains an unfinished project. To live up to the expectations of greatness, he must substantially improve his shooting and continue to develop his ballhandling. That's where his Spanish track record is more troublesome. The notion that Rubio took a step backward this past season appears overstated statistically. Besides the drop in 3-point shooting, his Euroleague statistics suggest the biggest change in his game was that he had the ball in his hands less frequently in Barcelona's unfriendly offense. Granting that, Rubio has failed to make as much progress as expected in the two years since he was drafted. He is largely the same player, yet without the same benefit of youth.

That's why, as Chad Ford wrote last week, the time is right for Rubio to come to the NBA. Given all the Timberwolves have invested in Rubio, the team must aid his development by putting him in an offense that plays to his strengths, with transition opportunities and regular pick-and-rolls.

If Minnesota does that, Rubio may well prove worth the wait.
5% Tint

Postby Milquetoaster Strudels » Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:48 pm

Nice article. Pretty much nails it.
Milquetoaster Strudels

Postby doc shivers » Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:50 pm

The best thing Rubio is going to bring to Minnesota is excitement and exposure. He will have at least one Sportscenter Jason 'white chocolate' Williams as a rookie for the kings level play per game.
doc shivers

Postby ecto » Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:53 pm

.357 from 2... fuck yeah!!!
I'm 15 and want to be a part of this currency. What can I do? (self.Bitcoin)
submitted 3 minutes ago by Bitcoin_Teen
ecto

PreviousNext

Return to Free-for-all