Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby bongo » Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:47 am

hot take: loveless and manchester are both awful films
yeaaaaaaaaaaaa american nostalgia love it suburban living civilized families this could be my life
bongo
man in hammock

Postby aububs » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:46 am

why did you think manchester by the sea was awful?
no buddy not really
aububs

Postby broodstar » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:56 am

while we're here, of course porumbiou and petzold's newest at the berlinale look great, but hu bo's an elephant sitting still sounds immense. was saddened to read he killed himself after completing it.

http://www.bfi.org.uk/news-opinion/sigh ... nese-debut
Debut features seldom come as ambitious, or as accomplished, as the magisterial An Elephant Sitting Still, written, directed and edited the Chinese filmmaker Hu Bo. Taking place over the course of a single day, this four-hour chronicle of numb desperation echoes the work of Jia Zhangke through its focus on the personal struggles of individuals left behind in China’s headlong pursuit of economic progress. The cast of disaffected youths and petty criminals living in a stagnant former industrial city particularly recalls Jia’s Unknown Pleasures, but Hu’s chosen aesthetic and mode of storytelling are entirely his own. Staying close to the protagonists at all times, both literally and figuratively, the film patiently draws a profoundly empathetic portrait of human suffering that is at once epic and intimate.

In lengthy and almost ethereal Steadicam shots, Hu shows his characters at home, clashing with family members in cramped and decaying apartments, or follows them as they navigate the equally hostile streets, where violent altercations are as inescapable as the mountains of uncollected trash piled up on every corner. Despite the constant antagonism, the soundtrack is largely drained of ambient sounds. The resulting quiet combines with the predominance of facial close-ups and extensive use of shallow focus, which keeps the surroundings indistinct most of the time, to generate a heightened sense of intimacy that reflects the characters’ self-absorption and lack of perspective.

Despite what the above description might suggest, An Elephant Sitting Still is not an unwatchable exercise in miserabilism. To be sure, the script’s negativity does become somewhat wilful – there are two suicides and one accidental killing in a mere 12-hour period – but the exceptional delicacy with which Hu delineates his characters’ trajectories transcends their wretchedness. The film’s images extricate beauty from the most dismal of situations and together with his actors, all of whom deliver performances of astounding sensitivity, Hu manages to evoke emotions so deeply felt and overwhelming, they compensate for any narrative contrivances.

i also love all things julius eastman related, and turner-prize-winning the otolith group's project on him easily skyrockets to my most wanted thing 2 c this year. i think it played a couple biennales, but also iffr and somewhere in the berlinale forum
broodstar

Postby mini » Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:10 pm

Buddy Glass wrote:I didn't hate Loveless but I can see what others hate about it. Its politics are pretty retrograde and misogynistic, and Zvyagintsev putting the heartless, frigid mom in a red tracksuit that says RUSSIA at the end is about as subtle as a brick to the head. But I like the way he makes films, in a formal sense, I like the slow atmospheric pacing and the sort of capital-A 'art film' affectations. He's a bit like Villeneuve in that sense. I don't think his films necessarily always mean very much but I like how they go about trying to mean it. It's a cinematic vernacular I'm always pretty content to sit in for a few hours at a time.

I will say that one shot early on of the kid crying in the dark, holy shit. That's really on a higher level than the rest of the movie.Toggle Spoiler

agree about your spoilered comment. saw this in a packed house last weekend and based on audience reaction during and after the movie had zero impact.
mini

Postby bongo » Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:47 pm

excited about this, which goes up tomorrow. actually reactivated filmstruck just bc of it

yeaaaaaaaaaaaa american nostalgia love it suburban living civilized families this could be my life
bongo
man in hammock

Postby bongo » Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:12 pm

can’t wait to watch this in tonight

bongo
man in hammock

Postby haddonfield » Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:44 pm

oh hell yes, same here
haddonfield

Postby pink snake » Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:07 pm

I'm gonna see Loveless after work tonight. In the theater.
pink snake

Postby haddonfield » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:09 pm

bongo wrote:excited about this, which goes up tomorrow. actually reactivated filmstruck just bc of it

this was impossibly chill and really worth watching, especially since Joe was behind the camera for like 1/4 of the non-clip stuff
haddonfield

Postby bongo » Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:14 pm

yeah it was really great. memoria is a huge deal in his body of work. that quote from bela tarr where he urges joe not to leave thailand is intense
bongo
man in hammock

Postby danno » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:14 am

it'd be awesome if someone put that on the db, i don't think you can access filmstruck outside the us
i have lots of his shorts (and features) i can up in return!
danno

Postby bongo » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:19 am

i dont think its avaialble anywhere to dl yet, but if it pops up on KG i will certainly grab/db it
bongo
man in hammock

Postby OKterrific » Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:53 pm

I don't suggest reading the bizarre, whiny "open letter" by Vincent Gallo that was put out there today but I got a chuckle out of this:

A year later, Sean Penn, who was at Cannes in 2003, said to me that if the film’s credits read, “Written and Directed by Chloe Sevigny,” it would have likely won the Palm D’Or. Meaning those judgmental judges would have felt the film was a feminist triumph and Chloe so brave.
mcwop23 wrote:no need for lame earnest dad posts
OKterrific
our rachel maddow

Postby neely o'hara » Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:09 pm

neely o'hara

Postby goofjan » Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:44 pm

OKterrific wrote:I don't suggest reading the bizarre, whiny "open letter" by Vincent Gallo that was put out there today but I got a chuckle out of this:

A year later, Sean Penn, who was at Cannes in 2003, said to me that if the film’s credits read, “Written and Directed by Chloe Sevigny,” it would have likely won the Palm D’Or. Meaning those judgmental judges would have felt the film was a feminist triumph and Chloe so brave.

Damn those judgmental judges! Always bein' so judgy!
plz if u get a chanse put some flowrs on algernons grave kthxbye
goofjan

Postby Kenny » Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:49 pm

I watched Withnail and I for the first time like a week ago and loved it.
Image [PEACE] [LOVE] [UNITY] [RESPECT] ImageImage

Hi, I'm Kenny. I'm a Sagittarius and I love old video games and drinking craft beers.
Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby tricksforchips » Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:57 pm

Watched Kiarostami's Five Long Takes -- definitely was not in the mood for it.
tricksforchips

Postby goofjan » Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:39 am

Yup.

plz if u get a chanse put some flowrs on algernons grave kthxbye
goofjan

Postby broodstar » Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:54 am

OKterrific wrote:I don't suggest reading the bizarre, whiny "open letter" by Vincent Gallo that was put out there today but I got a chuckle out of this:

it's pretty helpful to view his entire persona as performative. i am 99% certain this is not the case, but willful delusion goes a long way.
broodstar

Postby Eyeball Kid » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:08 pm

They teal-and-oranged Godard

Eyeball Kid

Postby Eyeball Kid » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:08 pm

Such a romantic movie, too!
Eyeball Kid

Postby naturemorte » Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:30 pm

hey guys, i learned two valuable professional lessons tonight. one: don't program something you haven't seen because you've heard it's amazing and it's really hard to see. two: sometimes, when a movie "too rarely screened" or "legendarily hard to see," it's because there's stuff in it that some people might think is illegal!
chad wrote:"How can I make this about me and also congratulate myself in some way" - basically every hipinion bro
naturemorte

Postby Phil » Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:55 pm

Oof, I thought that was going to be about a different film in that touring series (by a Chicago artist) which ends with a shot that certainly wouldn't have been included if it were made today, but I'm guessing it's about the Fulton?
Phil

Postby loaf angel » Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:01 am

nm, did you screen the piss tape?
goldsoundz wrote:i'd bang that moron
loaf angel

Postby broodstar » Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:51 am

naturemorte wrote:hey guys, i learned two valuable professional lessons tonight. one: don't program something you haven't seen because you've heard it's amazing and it's really hard to see. two: sometimes, when a movie "too rarely screened" or "legendarily hard to see," it's because there's stuff in it that some people might think is illegal!

ya, please divulge

cannes lineup seems pretty good?
broodstar

Postby quilty » Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:00 am

this saul levine situation sounds ugly and unfortunate

The cyber-bullying the statement is referring to is from Levine’s Facebook posts—he has made several more live videos in addition to the one that sparked the uproar over academic freedom. In the posts, Levine yells and curses at his colleagues, including Soon-Mi Yoo; Lyssa Palu-ay, the school’s interim provost, who was also present in the meeting with Levine; and Nelson. In the subsequent videos—which Levine has since claimed are performance pieces—he alleges that he is being attacked over how much money he makes, claims that colleagues have carried out a campaign to get him to retire, alleges he was bullied and harassed by the school, and maintains that the issue is about censorship.

The situation has also escalated in unexpected ways. Last week, an unknown person distributed pamphlets around Harvard University’s campus containing hate speech directed at those who have contested Levine’s version of the events. A source, who is connected to MassArt but wishes to remain anonymous, provided artforum.com with the document. The source also said, “Saul has been lashing out at the students and the larger community through toxic rants and has not taken the students’ responses seriously.” The source added, “In this day and age, it is all too easy to accept and promote that an itinerant artist is up against an uncaring institution. In this case, the institution is MassArt, whose faculty and staff are courageously upholding the institution’s mission and by doing so are placed in the line of fire.”
my secret? i voted for jools stein™
quilty
ok

Postby naturemorte » Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:09 am

Phil wrote:Oof, I thought that was going to be about a different film in that touring series (by a Chicago artist) which ends with a shot that certainly wouldn't have been included if it were made today, but I'm guessing it's about the Fulton?

the fulton film was just a lovely piece of eastern mystical claptrap, totally benign
the lapore film, "the 5 bad elements" was the culprit.
Last edited by naturemorte on Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chad wrote:"How can I make this about me and also congratulate myself in some way" - basically every hipinion bro
naturemorte

Postby bongo » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:50 pm

scope this tweet

bongo
man in hammock

Postby Eyeball Kid » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:52 pm

What's the church here? Twitter?
Eyeball Kid

Postby Eyeball Kid » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:54 pm

Eyeball Kid

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....