Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby southpaw » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:46 pm

Wanted to replace my sennheiser 202s and put them on my xmas list

Of course they're not made anymore and I ended up with philips shp9500. Christ they suck shit. Probably have a place but they're way quiet and are open so suck for the rain/public use

I've read a bunch of this thread but is there now a replacement for the 202 in the sound real good/dirt cheap/not easily smashed category?
southpaw

Postby joe » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:07 pm

want to get my gf some over ear bluetooth headphones for her birthday. no one in this thread ever seems to want to commit to one. here are what i'm considering:

Any thoughts on Sennheiser Momentum/HD1 ($400) or PXC 550 ($300) ??

It'd be nice to stay under $200 honestly, but I haven't gotten her great gifts recently and I'd like something that is exceptional
dễ dàng wrote:CHẾT TIỆT
joe

Postby Clive » Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:03 am

joe wrote:want to get my gf some over ear bluetooth headphones for her birthday. no one in this thread ever seems to want to commit to one. here are what i'm considering:

It'd be nice to stay under $200 honestly, but I haven't gotten her great gifts recently and I'd like something that is exceptional

Had my eye on both of these lately also. (HD1s are down to $345 rt now on Amazon). My problem is cans give me localized hat-head, so I’ll only be wearing them around home. Need a pair of IEMs for being out and about.

Anyway, this might be useful: https://www.reddit.com/r/sennheiser/com ... s_pxc_550/
Clive

Postby joe » Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:21 pm

decided to get her the pxc 550, hopefully they turn out okay!
joe

Postby RIXX » Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:24 pm

joe wrote:want to get my gf some over ear bluetooth headphones for her birthday. no one in this thread ever seems to want to commit to one. here are what i'm considering:

I just got the Bose QuietComfort 35 II headphones with bluetooth/NFC pairing and I am in love with them. Everything about them is wonderful...sound quality, build quality, noise cancellation, wireless pairing, battery life, etc. I love them so much that they pretty much are around my neck 24/7 except when I sleep.
RIXX

Postby dvr » Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:27 pm

nonchalant wrote:

I just got the Bose QuietComfort 35 II headphones with bluetooth/NFC pairing and I am in love with them. Everything about them is wonderful...sound quality, build quality, noise cancellation, wireless pairing, battery life, etc. I love them so much that they pretty much are around my neck 24/7 except when I sleep.

I got some Sennheiser Momentum 2.0's for $250 down from $350. Highly recommend them. Previously had Sennheiser HD 555s and 580s.
dvr

Postby forest design » Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:08 am

forest design wrote:Really enjoying these audio-technica E40s. I think I’m done with the >$30 startup headphones/buds that pop up and are hyped every year. Been pretty unimpressed so many times.

Yeah, decided these are the best buds/IEMs I've ever owned. Worth the extra money
forest design

Postby powderfinger » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:22 am

I am absolutely floored at how much better my Sony wireless headphones sound using Sony's lossless LDAC codec with a Pixel 2 compared to the low bitrate AAC codec Apple uses. They are so much more crisp and open, now in the same ballpark as good wired headphones with an amp instead of "good enough given the convenience factor, but Bluetooth still sucks."
powderfinger

Postby dvr » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:45 am

yungboi wrote:

just wanna say that i bought these triple driver ones and they sound great, and thanks for posting this link. it was like hearing each song for the first time again.

I too got these ~$30 ones, good headphone. Those $5.32 buds also mentioned on the last page I like better though (warmer)
dvr

Postby sigmonrunner » Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:37 pm

how do those audio-technica compare to the etymotic hf5?
sigmonrunner

Postby j-ol » Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:10 pm

looking for similar recs for myself, only for wireless earbuds
j-ol

Postby joe » Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:29 pm

powderfinger wrote:I am absolutely floored at how much better my Sony wireless headphones sound using Sony's lossless LDAC codec with a Pixel 2 compared to the low bitrate AAC codec Apple uses. They are so much more crisp and open, now in the same ballpark as good wired headphones with an amp instead of "good enough given the convenience factor, but Bluetooth still sucks."

do you need sony headphones to do this? or is this only on the transmission side
joe

Postby Clive » Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:19 pm

j-ol wrote:

looking for similar recs for myself, only for wireless earbuds

Finally bit the bullet and picked a pair of these up yesterday:

The only ear tips that provide any real isolation for me are the comply ones, and there's only a 4 hour battery life (+ two charges available via the case, bringing it up to 12 hours), but they're sounding incredible so far. A little pricey, I suppose (I had some gift cards available to use, knocking a few hundred off for me), but definitely an option for wireless buds/IEMs to keep in mind.
Clive

Postby powderfinger » Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:29 pm

joe wrote:
powderfinger wrote:I am absolutely floored at how much better my Sony wireless headphones sound using Sony's lossless LDAC codec with a Pixel 2 compared to the low bitrate AAC codec Apple uses. They are so much more crisp and open, now in the same ballpark as good wired headphones with an amp instead of "good enough given the convenience factor, but Bluetooth still sucks."

do you need sony headphones to do this? or is this only on the transmission side

Yeah. I think most of their wireless headphones (and most of their other consumer audio products) from the last couple of years support it. On the phone side, any Android phone running Oreo can potentially implement it because Sony contributed it to AOSP, but I'm not sure how many OEMs are going to support it other than Sony and Google. It was enabled by default on my Pixel 2 the first time I paired the headphones; pretty nice.

aptX HD probably offers comparable quality and will be more cross-platform, but it's new with Bluetooth 5 and I think new headphones are just starting to support it.

I haven't tried a comparison with regular aptX.
powderfinger

Postby came to wreck » Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:31 pm

Clive wrote:Image

i got these and am happy with them although im paranoid about them falling out and right now usually have a hoodie up when i walk to catch them in case but am gonna be nervous when its hot out so i cant have a hoodie up to catch them in case they fall out lol
came to wreck

Postby Clive » Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:54 pm

Yeah, I feel like the expanding foam keeps them tight enough that they’ll stay in place.
Clive

Postby harperesque » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:15 pm

alright guys I need some help

for the past ~10 years, I've only been buying headphones for $100 or less cuz due to my disastrous lifestyle, no pair has ever lasted for more than 6-9 months. at this rate, I've spent probably ~$1000 replacing cheapish headphones regularly and I am fuckin sick of it. I need a pair of on-ear or over-ear headphones which sound moderately ok, are decent for travel, and won't fucking break within a year. I'm willing to pay upward of $200 for this. fuckin help me.

I'm also partial to Sennheiser, maybe that's my fuckin problem
I've got to say sorry for that.
harperesque

Postby aububs » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:24 pm

highly recc getting a pair of bowers & wilkins P7's, harperesque

probably just over 200 bucks maybe? incredible sound, very comfy. they're a slightly large headphone but v handsome. on the negative side they will make you think all music is good. you'll lose all sense of discernment because everything will sound so fantastic.
no buddy not really
aububs

Postby harperesque » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:30 pm

aububs those look fucking awesome as hell but they're $429 here in Canadaland
I've got to say sorry for that.
harperesque

Postby aububs » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:35 pm

oh dang
no buddy not really
aububs

Postby Zardoz » Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:13 pm

Maybe beyerdynamic dt-770 closed back for travel though i way prefer the open back 990s, had mine for a decade before they rolled over and died. Get the open backs and when you travel just bring a pair of final audio e3000 iems they sound great and cost like 50 bucks if you just use em traveling they should last a good long time.
Zardoz

Postby dcm » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:56 pm

They're not travel ideal but for like 80 bones you really can't beat mdr7506's.
dcm

Postby dcm » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:01 pm

I want some wireless cans and am torn between the Bose QC II's and those Sony's powderfinger posted about (I also have a pixel 2).

Or maybe I'll just say fuck it and go for these pretty bb's even if they're ostentatious AF

dcm

Postby Lowercase Tea » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:08 pm

Does anyone know if the Grado GS1000’s live up to the hype? Trying to get motivated to get a new job by making this my reward.

I’ve got 225es which I like but some of the upper range is a little harsh.
Lowercase Tea

Postby powderfinger » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:29 pm

I like my Grados (Alessandro MS2 aka a modified 325) but I have a hard time imagining that their higher-end models could possibly be worth it. If I were buying a new open headphone setup with up to $1000 budget, I'd probably be looking at one of the magnetic planar sets from HiFiMan or Monolith in the $300-500 range, spend a few hundred max on an amp and DAC, and have some money left over. I heard a pair of HiFiMan HE-500s a few years ago and they were absolutely incredible; so much better than my Grados.
powderfinger

Postby Lowercase Tea » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:30 pm

Ahh, those are good to check out. I'm actually planning on leaving out an amp and DAC for now since my phono stage for my turntable has a built in headphone amp that I've been fond of so far.
Lowercase Tea

Postby easy » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:55 am

aububs wrote:highly recc getting a pair of bowers & wilkins P7's, harperesque

these are soo sick
easy
does it

Postby powderfinger » Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:03 am

dcm wrote:I want some wireless cans and am torn between the Bose QC II's and those Sony's powderfinger posted about (I also have a pixel 2).

Or maybe I'll just say fuck it and go for these pretty bb's even if they're ostentatious AF

I'm kind of shocked that this is the case, but from what I can tell the Bose set doesn't even support aptX, let alone aptX HD. It only supports AAC and SBC. You will take an substantial and audible hit in audio fidelity if you opt for the Bose set with a Pixel 2. I would rule them out on that basis alone.

The B&W PX supports aptX HD, which is not technically as good as LDAC from what I gather, but the difference is probably so small as to not be perceptible. In any case it's waaaaaay better than AAC or SBC. It's also going to be supported by more phones going forward (LDAC is part of AOSP now, but I doubt many OEMs beyond Google and Sony will implement it) in case you don't stick with the Pixel. I can't comment on how good they are as headphones, but they're a fine match for a Pixel 2 from a technical point of view.

FWIW Amazon has last year's Sony MDR100ABN/B for $219. Everything I read in my research indicated that the MDR100ABN/B sounds better than the flagship MDR1000X, albeit with slightly worse noise cancelling. I am perfectly happy with their noise cancelling. They changed the model names around for this year and I have no idea how to keep them straight. Good luck. The main differences are added aptX HD/Bluetooth 5 support and Google Assistant, I think the sound was largely unchanged.
powderfinger

Postby bongo » Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:25 am

what are the hottest and newest in under $300 reference headphones
yeaaaaaaaaaaaa american nostalgia love it suburban living civilized families this could be my life
bongo
man in hammock

Postby powderfinger » Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:31 am

I see I brain dumped the same info twice on this page. Sorry for that.

*pours another cup of coffee*
powderfinger

PreviousNext

Return to Don't. Let. Go. You’ve got the music in you.