Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby dvr » Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:53 pm

Anyone tried these or heard anything about them? https://www.amazon.com/Mpow-Bluetooth-H ... B01NAJGGA2 , Mpow 059 Bluetooth Headphones Over Ear

I'm looking for something cheap to wear around my apartment when my neighbors are being loud. I'm worried about getting something that will have over-powering bass
dvr

Postby Big Oil » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:47 pm

My Pistons finally shit the bed after almost two years. Since the new Xiaomi line is like double what I paid for the Pistons I decided to go further down the Chinese 'hifi' in-ear rabbit hole and got these:

Hopefully they don't suck!
Big Oil

Postby joe » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:50 pm

love my m50-x cans

was curious if anyone here has the bluetooth adapter for them: https://www.amazon.com/Bluetooth-Adapte ... hnica+m50x

considering that instead of buying actual expensive bluetooth headphones
dễ dàng wrote:CHẾT TIỆT
joe

Postby freshweed » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:23 pm

joe wrote:love my m50-x cans

was curious if anyone here has the bluetooth adapter for them: https://www.amazon.com/Bluetooth-Adapte ... hnica+m50x

considering that instead of buying actual expensive bluetooth headphones

Whoa holy shit
freshweed

Postby Milquetoaster Strudels » Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:51 pm

What are the best options for over-ear headphones from AKG/JBL/Harman right now? I can get a pretty sweet discount.

Somewhat related, I'm also looking at some new speakers for my hi fi system.
Milquetoaster Strudels

Postby wolfie » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:41 pm

Check your dads basement

I just setup these goddamned 35 year old speakers I dug out of his place and they sound so damned good it’s not funny.

Pretty cool how this technology has improved 0% in three plus decades
אחד

"our in-toilet cameras show people are shitting all over these toilets"
wolfie

Postby wolfie » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:44 pm

I mean maybe I dunno what I’m talking about but this old stuff sounds real good to me. I got a Yamaha receiver, ADS speakers and wired a Bluetooth receiver into the tape input (lol) and I stream right from my phone to the setup and it sounds damned good

My dad bought all this stuff in the early 80’s
אחד

wolfie

Postby viachicago » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:49 pm

my mdr-7506s are hitting the decade mark of daily use and still trucking

and yea used speakers are the way to go. i picked these circa early-2000s things up for $400 a while back and cant imagine ever needing to upgrade. looked up the original list price and was over 2k

viachicago

Postby wolfie » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:58 pm

I also have a pair of audioengine a5+ speakers which sound good. They’ve got built in amplification which is nice cause you don’t need a receiver.... just line shit in.

I will say tho that these new speakers cost me something like 400 bucks and although good I like the 30 year old basement ones more
אחד

wolfie

Postby powderfinger » Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:16 pm

it's weird how having traditional speakers at all is now an ultra niche hobby

Few people under 30 even knows what real speakers sound like, even shitty ones. Even fewer people think of a component stereo system as an important part of a home anymore. My parents aren't particularly into music or gadgets or anything fancy, but I remember when I was a kid in the early 90s they treated buying a Sony stereo system with a receiver, tape deck, and CD changer housed in a cabinet and paired with big ass tower speakers like it was a middle class obligation, same as owning a washing machine and dryer or a lawn mower. It was a big expenditure for them at the time but nothing lavish. It got used daily. They still have it and it sounds great! Of course now they use a shitty sounding Bluetooth speaker that literally sits on one of the tower speakers.

Bluetooth speakers and sound bars have come a long way (I'll stipulate this for the sake of argument), but there is no way to shortcut the physics of moving air to make sound. Nothing like having a party to a brick of plastic the size of a small toaster.

I've probably made a variation of this post a dozen times but I think about it a lot.
powderfinger

Postby powderfinger » Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:21 pm

we need a consolidated audio/visual gear thread for me to be an obnoxious nerd in all the time
powderfinger

Postby sigmonrunner » Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:20 pm

I noticed Etymotic has a new ER3 iem. Seems like they are supposed to be inbetween HF5 & ER4. I have the HF5 and think it's pretty great, but how much better can the these upper tier ones be?
sigmonrunner

Postby RIXX » Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:27 pm

i've been out of the expensive IEM game for such a long time that I don't even know what's on the market anymore. i had UE superfi 5Pro's in high school, and then moved on to Shure E5's, which broke a while ago

I've been thinking about making another $300-400 investment in a new pair of something, I haven't had a good pair in a while. I guess I'll spend hours this weekend on head-fi lol
RIXX

Postby Milquetoaster Strudels » Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:31 pm

I have a Pioneer receiver from the mid-'70s and some JBL L40s from around the same time and I love them, but the cone on the right speaker has a small dent and the rings have deteriorated and detached from the cones, so I'll need to get them serviced. Sounds like I'm probably better off going that route.

In the event that I decide to upgrade, what do y'all prefer? I've read a lot of great things about Altec and Klipsch gear from that era
Milquetoaster Strudels

Postby Zardoz » Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:37 pm

I threw some Comply foam tips on the Final Audio 3000 headphones and they sound extremely good, isolation is great and they are far more comfy
Zardoz

Postby scrambled » Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:10 am

hi my job is offering a $150 credit for headphones - i've never bought any headphones above $30 before and i'm so anxious over this decision. what is a good beginner audiophile choice? is my whole world going to change
scrambled

Postby Dinosauria We » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:15 am

sort of in the same boat, but looking for a lower price point. what would be everyone's recommendation for everyday headphones, preferably buds? i do most of my listening via headphones while commuting, sitting at my desk, and running. looking for something with better sound quality than the standard apple buds, but nothing that will set me back all that much.
Dinosauria We

Postby RIXX » Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:37 pm

I bought Bose QuietComfort 35 (Series II) wireless noise cancelling headphones from the Best Buy Express kiosk at the airport. They were $350.

I was intending to just test them out and eventually return them, but fuck I might just keep them. The amount of noise cancellation is mindblowing,it made my plane ride entirely quiet and peaceful. The NFC pairing to my iPhone is instant and flawless, and the headphones can be connected to my iPhone and macbook simultaneously, which I found incredible. Plus build quality, sound quality, all excellent. I've steered clear of Bose in the past because i know they're overpriced moneytraps, but this just feels like such an amazing product.
RIXX

Postby dvr » Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:59 pm

I think Bose has a patent on the best Noise Cancelling technology
dvr

Postby wolfie » Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:47 pm

scrambled wrote:hi my job is offering a $150 credit for headphones - i've never bought any headphones above $30 before and i'm so anxious over this decision. what is a good beginner audiophile choice? is my whole world going to change

Sennheisers for over ear

For in ear it appears you can get by pretty inexpensively considering the last few pages of this thread.
אחד

wolfie

Postby forest design » Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:34 pm

wolfie wrote:
scrambled wrote:hi my job is offering a $150 credit for headphones - i've never bought any headphones above $30 before and i'm so anxious over this decision. what is a good beginner audiophile choice? is my whole world going to change

Sennheisers for over ear

For in ear it appears you can get by pretty inexpensively considering the last few pages of this thread.

Get Grado 125e’s
forest design

Postby came to wreck » Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:04 pm

been thinkin of getting the b&o e8's cause i'm sick of cords but wanna stay with buds for my subway commutes
came to wreck

Postby milano boy » Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:28 pm

i just got ATH-LS200iS and they are fucking incredible
milano boy

Postby dvr » Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:13 pm

Anyone had luck driving Sennheiser HD series 1/4" jack headphones off a phone?
dvr

Postby uax » Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:33 pm

powderfinger wrote:wireless headphones

joe wrote:expensive bluetooth headphones

wolfie wrote:Bluetooth

nonchalant wrote:wireless noise cancelling

dvr wrote:the best Noise Cancelling technology

uax

Postby whatabout tim » Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:46 pm

dvr wrote:Anyone had luck driving Sennheiser HD series 1/4" jack headphones off a phone?

I have no problem using the hd 6xx's with my phone but that has an 1/8" jack with the converter. I am debating picking up a dragonfly based on a bud's recommendation, that may solve your problem?
tim
whatabout tim

Postby saranclaps » Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:15 pm

Pullled the trigger on the 1More quad drivers @ 120 when they were a deal of the day.
Real Love wrote:every once in a while saranclaps will try to do a funny and it's an extremely off note but I'm not totally convinced he's aware of what is happening
saranclaps

Postby saranclaps » Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:16 pm

https://smile.amazon.com/Yinyoo-ZS6-Headphones-Detachable-microphone/dp/B075KKBKLZ?sa-no-redirect=1

I don't really fuck w detachable things where you have to buy your own cords or whatever but apparently these are pretty decent for sub 50 iems.
Real Love wrote:every once in a while saranclaps will try to do a funny and it's an extremely off note but I'm not totally convinced he's aware of what is happening
saranclaps

Postby saranclaps » Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:17 am

Are the included tips impossible to put on the quad driver 1more for anyone else? Feel like I got the wrong tips.
saranclaps

Postby Jefferson Zeppelin » Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:21 am

so with all these phones removing headphone jacks... is there a reasonable bluetooth choice? (apologies I haven't gone through the whole thread)
Jefferson Zeppelin

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....