Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby galactagogue » Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:25 am

doing the whole first interview/second interview game only to keep losing in round 2 fuckin suuuuuuucks. especially when i can’t imagine there’s a super big variance between the skills of each applicant at that point. this involuntary gamble doesn’t even come w the thrill of the chase.
...ive said too much
galactagogue

Postby chad » Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:02 am

Yeah it gets pretty arbitrary and sucks. I got hired once because the CEO’s son found a $10 bill with my first name on it. He took it as a sign to hire me. It can really be such bullshit

Like if you have the same alma mater or same dog breed. People just really want to find common ground or find some kind of cosmic “sign”

When you think about who is in charge of hiring decisions, it can feel very bleak. People are scrambling to form decisions about what you’d do in a variety of situations based on a fleeting first impression.

Also many ppl get hired by a friend of a friend, etc. it’s rigged, tbh
add me on habbo: ChadBraddington
chad

Postby chad » Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:03 am

I don’t mean to be discouraging lol

Good luck!! I probably have to really start looking soon and am completely dreading it
chad

Postby Ted Pikul » Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:06 am

user chad a.k.a Alexander
loaf angel wrote:I love how Ted makes every thread as a testament to how fucking boring he is.

"I bought a new garden hose mk 2"
Ted Pikul
DARE.

Postby galactagogue » Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:14 am

i was reading this article about it and at the very least it made me feel reassured that i keep getting interviews? because that seems to be like only ~3% of the people who apply even get that point. So there's that. But yeah the interview thing. And then i get really in my head about weird coded behavior like The Follow Up email. Or like, one site recommended asking interviewers why you didn't get the job??? Weird stuff.

If I have to answer one more question about the 'adversities' i've overcome in the work place, i may scream !
...ive said too much
galactagogue

Postby Bad Craziness » Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:55 am

chad wrote:Yeah it gets pretty arbitrary and sucks. I got hired once because the CEO’s son found a $10 bill with my first name on it. He took it as a sign to hire me. It can really be such bullshit

Like if you have the same alma mater or same dog breed. People just really want to find common ground or find some kind of cosmic “sign”

When you think about who is in charge of hiring decisions, it can feel very bleak. People are scrambling to form decisions about what you’d do in a variety of situations based on a fleeting first impression.

Also many ppl get hired by a friend of a friend, etc. it’s rigged, tbh

Network events are mystifying like this. The difference between being completely ignored and getting a job can be a 3 minute conversation with a stranger
Bad Craziness

Postby Bad Craziness » Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:58 am

galactagogue wrote:And then i get really in my head about weird coded behavior like The Follow Up email. Or like, one site recommended asking interviewers why you didn't get the job??? Weird stuff.

Yeah this stuff is infuriating. Every piece of advice contradicts each other, but they’re each framed like they’re ironclad law and ought to be obvious

“of course you call the day after your interview, DUH” vs “if you call the day after your interview, they will wipe their ass with your resume and set it on fire and blacklist you for the entire industry”
Bad Craziness

Postby bunejug » Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:27 pm

galactagogue wrote:i was reading this article about it and at the very least it made me feel reassured that i keep getting interviews? because that seems to be like only ~3% of the people who apply even get that point. So there's that. But yeah the interview thing. And then i get really in my head about weird coded behavior like The Follow Up email. Or like, one site recommended asking interviewers why you didn't get the job??? Weird stuff.

If I have to answer one more question about the 'adversities' i've overcome in the work place, i may scream !

you could bring up "being asked about overcoming adversities" being the adversity you've had to overcome repeatedly :)
bunejug

Postby galactagogue » Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:47 pm

they basically ask you variations on the same question over and over which is like 'How do u work under pressure?!?!!' but they want you to give a really specific answer with really broad or abstract parameters. ive been calling it the hypothetical admin apocalypse where all your resources are on fire at the same time but There's Work to Do and you're on a budget.

it's just so bizarre when they ask these questions and im like, you know there is NO answer to this question right? The answer is you do everything you can. lately i like to ask clarifying questions so that they demystify the answer they're looking for, but usually that just means they, too, fumble over their dumb questions.
...ive said too much
galactagogue

Postby galactagogue » Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:28 pm

hahah i asked the Office Politics woman what I could do for the future ( a thing i read somewhere u should do and i figured i had nothing to lose and i was curious what they would say) she finally replied:

Hello [gogz],

One of the things that you could improve is your choice of clothing. For non-design interviews business casual is standard. Also, you didn’t sell on why this position was the best fit for you. Thank you for reaching out to me. I wish you the best.

Interesting to me that she said the clothing before the 'best fit' thing. But all in all, helpful to know.
...ive said too much
galactagogue

Postby galactagogue » Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:29 pm

for the record it was rainy and like 35 degrees that day, so i dont have any business casual stuff that works for that.
...ive said too much
galactagogue

Postby Ferrous Bueller » Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:18 pm

Mr. Cool Wave wrote:Flabbergasted by how normalized the expectation of unpaid labor is in the analytics/data-science hiring process. I've had several interviews that necessitated a 4-6 hour take-home project before even having the opportunity to talk to a hiring manager.

some jamokes want me to write a full case study before they'll deign to (maybe) have me in for a first round interview

might just tell them to pound sand
Ferrous Bueller

Postby chad » Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:24 pm

I’m onto next rounds for this one position. It’s a remote role for a German startup and seems p flexible. I could do it on top of my job now probably and then quit my current job w no resume gap this way. I just really want a break. I really don’t want to work FT for like...a bit. Idk how long. I’m so tired of it all.

Sometimes I daydream about having extended time off due to illness. I just want to lie down and rethink things. I hate work. I need to save up and run away to the moon. I want to close my eyes and have my mind be completely blank. I want to stop worrying all the time.
chad

Postby Grey Poupon » Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:31 pm

re. interviews, it's real cynical but I eventually just had a set of 5 go to anecdotes in S.T.A.R. format to pull out and they work for 90% of questions if you remember them
My listening experience in balanced mode reveals the great depth of EARTH
Grey Poupon

Postby Polygraph Shakira » Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:42 pm

i want to walk into the ocean
isobel wrote:im so smart because my head wasnt crushed at birth
Polygraph Shakira
the groosalugg

Postby warmjets » Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:53 pm

Me too man. Me too
warmjets

Postby Ferrous Bueller » Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:33 pm

chad wrote:I’m onto next rounds for this one position. It’s a remote role for a German startup and seems p flexible. I could do it on top of my job now probably and then quit my current job w no resume gap this way. I just really want a break. I really don’t want to work FT for like...a bit. Idk how long. I’m so tired of it all.

Sometimes I daydream about having extended time off due to illness. I just want to lie down and rethink things. I hate work. I need to save up and run away to the moon. I want to close my eyes and have my mind be completely blank. I want to stop worrying all the time.

I've temporarily retired a couple times now, and the fun times end much sooner than you'd think

however, I am also just miserable to begin with
Ferrous Bueller

Postby Ferrous Bueller » Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:34 pm

hire me!
Ferrous Bueller

Postby fresh salad » Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:56 pm

Right now I am working for a company that recycles electronics.

So I got a message from a headhunter on LinkedIn, and unlike most that have nothing to do with me, this one was for a local company that does basically what I do (logistics) but for a 3PL,

I have been hating my job now for about a year or so, as the salesman think they run the place and the owners do nothing to reign them in.

So I figured what the hell i'll interview and long story short they just offered me a job at about 12K a year more, and right off the bat double the vacation and benefits (401K decent enough health, etc.)

I woke up in the middle of the night and couldn't get back to sleep, really stressed out but I'm going to take it right!?
Yep, those are the jeans of a cat owner
fresh salad

Postby Hal Jordan » Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:24 pm

fresh salad think it through!!

leaving a job you hate for one that pays a lot more with better benefits... might be a mistake?
well that was intense
Hal Jordan

Postby qaanaaq » Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:04 pm

Ferrous Bueller wrote:
Mr. Cool Wave wrote:Flabbergasted by how normalized the expectation of unpaid labor is in the analytics/data-science hiring process. I've had several interviews that necessitated a 4-6 hour take-home project before even having the opportunity to talk to a hiring manager.

some jamokes want me to write a full case study before they'll deign to (maybe) have me in for a first round interview

might just tell them to pound sand

Devil's advocate here and only speaking from my firms experience so it's probable that other firms are being jerks

But I'm tangentially involved in the hiring in the hiring of data scientists (manager gets me to read over their work and give me their thoughts). But these are so important real world data is so much messier and requires different skills than chucking xgboost at a precleaned dataset. We see so many people who have impressive education/ resumes who fall over when confronted with real data and non-clearly defined goals

Also we give the same problem set to everyone and it's regarding something we have already "solved" so I can't think of a case where we have used a candidates work
qaanaaq

Postby donna martin » Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:58 pm

At what stage so you give people these projects though? And how long should they take, according to your company?
donna martin

Postby Sobieski » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:05 pm

Ferrous Bueller wrote:
chad wrote:I’m onto next rounds for this one position. It’s a remote role for a German startup and seems p flexible. I could do it on top of my job now probably and then quit my current job w no resume gap this way. I just really want a break. I really don’t want to work FT for like...a bit. Idk how long. I’m so tired of it all.

I've temporarily retired a couple times now, and the fun times end much sooner than you'd think

however, I am also just miserable to begin with

yeah I desperately want some time off to rethink and do other things but I also realize how much meaning this dumb job is giving to my dumb life
smoke less weed
get more sleep
always tip %20
Sobieski
Comptroller

Postby Coca Cola » Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:47 am

i'm learning javascript. that's good right
Coca Cola

Postby qaanaaq » Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:04 am

donna martin wrote:At what stage so you give people these projects though? And how long should they take, according to your company?

No "suggested time" but it's generally a week or so but I would say it's 4-8 hours of solid work

It's generally after phone+in person interview

If they do well on this they then meet an exec to see if they are a culture fit
qaanaaq

Postby bunejug » Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:55 am

culture fit sounds toxic as hell
bunejug

Postby donna martin » Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:05 am

qaanaaq wrote:
donna martin wrote:At what stage so you give people these projects though? And how long should they take, according to your company?

No "suggested time" but it's generally a week or so but I would say it's 4-8 hours of solid work

It's generally after phone+in person interview

If they do well on this they then meet an exec to see if they are a culture fit

Okay. Not knowing your industry, admittedly, 4-8 hrs seems... like a lot. I'm in a writing field, so different stuff, but I try to keep it to an hour. That's enough to do the assignment and give me a sense of whether they can do the work I need them to do, but respect that they have a life going on.

At least you're waiting until after most of the interviews though. I think it was noted above that there are companies that want this bullshit before you even talk to someone to get a sense of whether *you* want the job. Also disrespectful of my time.
donna martin

Postby donna martin » Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:06 am

bunejug wrote:culture fit sounds toxic as hell

I could do without ever hearing this term again.
donna martin

Postby chad » Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:51 pm

donna martin wrote:
bunejug wrote:culture fit sounds toxic as hell

I could do without ever hearing this term again.
chad

Postby chad » Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:54 pm

Once I was somewhere for a 5 hour final round interview and one guy came in and asked me what I’d do in a zombie apocalypse and idk what kinda face I made but I did not get hired! Big surprise
chad

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....