Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby tawny frogmouth » Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:18 pm

deadwolfbones wrote:
tawny frogmouth wrote:had a friend reach out to let me know that my alma mater, where he works, is looking for someone in their media relations department, a job i'm more than qualified for. it would mean leaving new york after 8 years to move home to florida, which i wasn't crazy about at first, but the more i think about it the more it starts to feel like maybe this is worth considering.

friend informs me that there's great job security since it's public sector - he's been there for years and seen almost no turnover in this department. pay and benefits would be decent, especially considering the way lower cost of living. i'd be closer to my parents and a few friends from college. i'd be able to buy a house with the nest egg i've saved up living in new york... i'm years away from being able to afford to buy something if i stay here.

i'm not miserable or anything if i stay in NY, but the fact that this piqued my interest is telling me maybe i'm ready for a big change and i've just been waiting for something to come along. not sure how to process all this at the moment.

plus you could hangout with Hellphone and watch Marvel movies all the fucking time

this is definitely in the pro column
tawny frogmouth

Postby Mr Spaceship » Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:40 pm

finally after 2.5 years I am back to full time with great benefits, no more temping. A fucking miracle
Mr Spaceship

Postby mondays » Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:38 am

nice going mr spaceship

my car broke down and i got fired from my job within 2 days from one another last week. i applied for unemployment on friday but man am i overwhelmed
mondays

Postby Bad Craziness » Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:05 pm

I gave myself until the end of the month to find a full-time job at an animation studio in LA

if I don't make the deadline, I'm gonna find a server job and become a cash vacuum

in a serious rut with freelance work

forgot how disheartening it was to apply for a job that you know you are insanely qualified for and receive zero response

makes you paranoid that you fucked up something in the application or they looked up your credit rating or some shit

also forgot how universal the "click here to upload your resume, now fill out 5 pages of forms with all the info that's in your resume" bullshit is
Bad Craziness

Postby domesticwhite » Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:13 pm

how often are places pulling your credit rating in the job hunt (general question)

when i was hiring people, we almost never did this
domesticwhite

Postby Bad Craziness » Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:44 pm

domesticwhite wrote:how often are places pulling your credit rating in the job hunt (general question)

when i was hiring people, we almost never did this

that's all I need to maintain my paranoia lol
Bad Craziness

Postby domesticwhite » Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:50 pm

i really don't think its very common unless you're in a position where you're manipulating someone's money directly
domesticwhite

Postby Kenny » Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:14 am

I really like my new job, the work, and my coworkers, but a lot of them yell into the phones.

Gonna need a new job, right?

Edit: I mean they just talk really loudly into the phones, not like actually yelling
Last edited by Kenny on Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image [PEACE] [LOVE] [UNITY] [RESPECT] ImageImage

Hi, I'm Kenny. I'm a Sagittarius and I love old video games and drinking craft beers.
Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby chimp » Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:52 am

Are you still in London law petty?
chimp

Postby Kenny » Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:54 am

Yeah but who knows what's gonna happen once/if I get indefinite leave to remain... my Mrs wants to get a Phd so that might throw things up in the air. tbh, I like having lived in London a lot but I wouldn't mind (being able to find a job and) living somewhere else at this point
Image [PEACE] [LOVE] [UNITY] [RESPECT] ImageImage

Hi, I'm Kenny. I'm a Sagittarius and I love old video games and drinking craft beers.
Kenny
"Two Phones" Maccabee

Postby chimp » Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:26 pm

Move to Newcastle! I'll probably go back there after Oz.
chimp

Postby domesticwhite » Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:00 pm

moving onto interview 4 after 3 weeks of radio silence and an impromptu interview yesterday
domesticwhite

Postby Merciel » Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:11 pm

domesticwhite wrote:i really don't think its very common unless you're in a position where you're manipulating someone's money directly

They do it occasionally at my job (or did it under the old administration, I don't know about now), I assume to see how easily you'd be bribe-able. It doesn't strike me as a terribly accurate predictor of that sort of thing, which is probably why they don't do it very often, but I know they do it once in a while and that's the stated reason.
Merciel
Hipinion Dog Lady

Postby domesticwhite » Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:13 pm

merciel... interesting. had not considered it for that application. i'd always heard: it is used to see how logical you are when moving and manipulating money, high risk v low risk, etc.
domesticwhite

Postby bold man » Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:49 pm

domesticwhite wrote:i am still awaiting a response from my second interview last week. my brain is breaking in the meantime.

this

i assumw its bad if i havent gotten any updates in over a week but who knows
in the international space station having a three-way with hillary clinton and sarah palin
bold man
ok

Postby mondays » Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:51 pm

feeling the unemployment dread especially hard today
mondays

Postby bold man » Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:55 pm

mondays wrote:feeling the unemployment dread especially hard today

also this

but i think places are more or less shutting down for july 4 now

then again i have an interview tomorrow and monday so thats probably wrong
in the international space station having a three-way with hillary clinton and sarah palin
bold man
ok

Postby domesticwhite » Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:55 pm

bold man wrote:
domesticwhite wrote:i am still awaiting a response from my second interview last week. my brain is breaking in the meantime.

this

i assumw its bad if i havent gotten any updates in over a week but who knows

i did too, i had three weeks of radio silence from these same people, then sunday they hit me up to interview yesterday, then i passed forward into the 4th interview (presumably the last)
domesticwhite

Postby bold man » Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:41 pm

lined up 3 interviews today so yeah my theory was wrong
bold man
ok

Postby endless dave » Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:23 pm

so I think I used this topic to document my now over two years long attempt to get back nearly $42K in back pay from the boss of the company of my last full time salaried job. basically, it ended today sort of with a whimper and a bit of victory, even if it was hollow.

anyway, the lawsuit went through a bunch of ups and downs, the biggest being that the scumbag owner lost his attorney a week before the trial and because he was likely to default, the judge asked us to do mediation, which obviously went nowhere. he came out of that with a new attorney, a bankrupcy attorney, something he had threatened the entire time, but always felt like a bluff. after the mediation fell through (what a waste of half a day), the judge saw the writing on the wall and made a judgement on our behalf during the pre-trial call. I was awarded over $88K. The next day, my old boss officially filed for Chapter 7. As it turns out, he has no real assets and the $1.5M house in Cape Cod he's trying to sell for $3M is very underwater and that's his only asset, so the trustee dismissed all his debts. so we have nothing but he's ruined and the news of our win, however brief, went pretty wide in the music world, so he's basically got a complete black mark for the rest of his (hopefully short) life.

it sucks and I wish I could have received honestly anything at this point, but I don't think he would have followed through on even his most pathetic offering during the whole ordeal (which was $10K over two months, when the total of what he owed the four of us suing was around $200K), so I'm glad we took it to the end. during the bankruptcy, his ex-wife told us that she knew he had a secret bank account set up as a trust fund for his daughter with his new wife set up in the Isle of Jersey, but we couldn't prove it. Maybe we can get him with fraud at some point and actually get him in jail, but doubt it.

I luckily have a very good paycheck between a few jobs now, one that actually is more than what I was seeing at that company (which at the time was the most I was ever paid by nearly 2x), so I'm luckily not wishing I had the money but I had hoped that I could get some tiny lump sum that could at least take care of the lingering debt I had from the aftermath of that job. oh well. fuck this guy and at least I don't have to have this as a part of my life anymore.
endless dave

Postby gallits » Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:31 am

What the fuck do I do with my art history ma.
gallits

Postby a is jump » Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:20 pm

After 6 weeks of interviews (phone, video, in person), all of which I felt great about, I just got another rejection email yesterday afternoon. I can't hack this shit anymore.
a is jump

Postby tgk » Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:45 pm

gallits wrote:What the fuck do I do with my art history ma.

what were you planning on doing with it when you entered the program?
tgk

Postby Rumours » Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:06 pm

so, after a few rough years back home I applied to a teaching position in Hong Kong. My current workplace has been unraveling with people quitting and a hiring freeze, so the volume and stressed to an almost untenable level. So, I was really hoping to get over there sooner rather than later for my sanity's sake. After I applied they talked about starting dates at the end of November, and I accepted the interview expressing a desire to go sooner, although I understood it was at least 8 weeks with visa processing.

My interview went well and she informed me that they have a November 3rd start date. In the heat of the moment, I balked due to an emotional reaction with the prospect of having to stay later than October, and let her know I'd get back to her. She said that was fine, just let her know if that works and we would have a follow up. After talking it out a bit, I realized that this was still the best option I had and followed up, getting a follow up interview on this Tuesday. The interview went well, mostly covering processes of what I need to apply and transition details. The "questions" came last, to which I could have handled a bit better. She then said she'd let me know tomorrow (Wednesday).

I sent my thank you note through the middle man who set up the interviewers and asked her to pass it along, as I did not have the interviews direct email. She said she did. and now radio silence. It's been two business days, as the interviewer is in South Africa where its already evening. I feel like an absolute idiot (and surely am) for not pursuing other learning center applications in the mean time. I know that it seems like a ridiculous small amount of time has passed, BUT the interviewer stressed the strained timeline to make the November 3rd date work and how we would need to start collecting documentation ASAP. My fragile anxiety is on overload as I look at the prospect as starting the job application process over again and staying at this workplace longer into the year. If I don't reach out tonight, so that the middle man can pass along my note for Friday, I won't be able to follow up until next week. But I don't want to scare off this lady. I dunno what to do ahhhhhhhhhhhhh.

tl;dr interviewer said to expect a response in one business day and its been two and time zone differences mean I should maybe reach out tonight or wait till next week. Visa processing make a normal one weeks wait of response unlikely, am fearing that no reply means rejection already. :(
Rumours

Postby domesticwhite » Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:11 pm

Rumours, you got this, probably just timezone catching up. you're gonna be in hong kong in no time.
domesticwhite

Postby waldojeffers1 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:23 pm

I was suposed to hear about another job on monday and they haven't written me back yet. it's thursday!

in the meantime I hate my current job so much and I am burning up all my sick days working from home because I'm depressed
oh no someone save us
waldojeffers1

Postby endless dave » Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:54 pm

I just want to throw it out there as a reminder that you should always ask for more money when negotiating. I've had 100% success in asking for anywhere from 8-15% more in the last few gigs I've had, both freelance and salary. just got an extra $10K from the job I was just offered just by adding an extra two sentences in my response to the employment letter. everyone single one has been eager to hit what I'm asking for, which goes to prove the point that if they're at the level of wanting you to join, then they want to make your happy with that side of things too
endless dave

Postby Rumours » Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:35 pm

thanks DW and gl Waldo - I feel you on the taxing nature of hating your workplace job.

ed, I wish I would have negotiated higher at my current workplace, my friends in the coding and research sectors have all had some pretty successful raises through initial back and forth.

I do not understand how one does not check their email every third minute, with the constant negative feedback creating an anxiety loop. Every single person who goes through a hiring process is a goddamn hero.
Rumours

Postby saranclaps » Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:14 pm

Posted this in the programming thread but maybe it's relevant here too

I have a four-hour onsite interview next week with a startup for a dev position. Never have done an interview that long. Would it be outre to ask what will comprise those four hours vis-a-vis who I'm talking to, what order, and what I'm doing (whiteboarding, algos, what knowledge base they want to know, etc?)
Real Love wrote:every once in a while saranclaps will try to do a funny and it's an extremely off note but I'm not totally convinced he's aware of what is happening
saranclaps

Postby sex cauldron » Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:45 pm

saranclaps wrote:Posted this in the programming thread but maybe it's relevant here too

I have a four-hour onsite interview next week with a startup for a dev position. Never have done an interview that long. Would it be outre to ask what will comprise those four hours vis-a-vis who I'm talking to, what order, and what I'm doing (whiteboarding, algos, what knowledge base they want to know, etc?)

is your main point of contact the recruiter? if so, it's their job to be an advocate for the candidate and they'll help you with any information they can give you including what to prepare for. if it's a smaller startup and you're working with the CTO or something, it couldn't hurt either, but you might not get as much info.
sex cauldron

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....