Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby saranclaps » Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:59 pm

sex cauldron wrote:
saranclaps wrote:Posted this in the programming thread but maybe it's relevant here too

I have a four-hour onsite interview next week with a startup for a dev position. Never have done an interview that long. Would it be outre to ask what will comprise those four hours vis-a-vis who I'm talking to, what order, and what I'm doing (whiteboarding, algos, what knowledge base they want to know, etc?)

is your main point of contact the recruiter? if so, it's their job to be an advocate for the candidate and they'll help you with any information they can give you including what to prepare for. if it's a smaller startup and you're working with the CTO or something, it couldn't hurt either, but you might not get as much info.
It's the CTO. I just send them a message.
Real Love wrote:every once in a while saranclaps will try to do a funny and it's an extremely off note but I'm not totally convinced he's aware of what is happening
saranclaps

Postby pizza » Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:17 pm

endless dave wrote:I just want to throw it out there as a reminder that you should always ask for more money when negotiating. I've had 100% success in asking for anywhere from 8-15% more in the last few gigs I've had, both freelance and salary. just got an extra $10K from the job I was just offered just by adding an extra two sentences in my response to the employment letter. everyone single one has been eager to hit what I'm asking for, which goes to prove the point that if they're at the level of wanting you to join, then they want to make your happy with that side of things too

any specific tips on negotiating a salary? i just got offered a new job that I’m very qualified for and wouldn’t be total garbage to work, but the salary’s lower than I’d like. never negotiated a salary before and pretty afraid of having this job offer rescinded or something since i think it would make a great bridge out of the music industry down the line. I am getting insurance and 2 weeks paid vacation out of it but just 5k more a year would be good so i could actually start saving money instead of pissing it into the void
pizza

Postby galactagogue » Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:19 pm

yeah why can't I???
...ive said too much
galactagogue

Postby walt whitman » Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:22 pm

gallits wrote:What the fuck do I do with my art history ma.

museum/nonprofit world?

begun (another) ma or a phd?

:|
walt whitman

Postby delgriffith » Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:11 pm

I just got the rejection email for a full time dream job with an organization I've been volunteering with/working part-time for and I feel gutted. I was definitely at an experience deficit (because it would be a change of field) but I thought I had a really positive interview and even though I never feel optimistic about these things I just really poured everything into this application and now I feel like shit.
delgriffith

Postby Quixotic » Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:02 pm

pizza wrote:
endless dave wrote:I just want to throw it out there as a reminder that you should always ask for more money when negotiating. I've had 100% success in asking for anywhere from 8-15% more in the last few gigs I've had, both freelance and salary. just got an extra $10K from the job I was just offered just by adding an extra two sentences in my response to the employment letter. everyone single one has been eager to hit what I'm asking for, which goes to prove the point that if they're at the level of wanting you to join, then they want to make your happy with that side of things too

any specific tips on negotiating a salary? i just got offered a new job that I’m very qualified for and wouldn’t be total garbage to work, but the salary’s lower than I’d like. never negotiated a salary before and pretty afraid of having this job offer rescinded or something since i think it would make a great bridge out of the music industry down the line. I am getting insurance and 2 weeks paid vacation out of it but just 5k more a year would be good so i could actually start saving money instead of pissing it into the void

i just did this a few weeks back for the job i landed (similar situation, good job but lower salary). i'm not making bank or anything, but i bumped up the salary by 8% - again, enough to add to the savings. my response to the offer email was a short paragraph listing my qualifications that set me apart from other candidates (e.g. what skills i have above and beyond the job ad), then said something like "with that in mind, i'd be more comfortable at $..." It was super nerve wracking - I felt the same way you do now, super nervous, worried they'd give it away to someone else, but ended up landing it, at the salary i requested. the fact that they're offering the job means that they want you, and unless its a super junior level position, there's something you have that other candidates don't that makes you more valuable to them. generally, the salary they offer you is a low-end of a range of possible salaries for that specific position (but this may not always be the case?), so there's typically room to negotiate.
Quixotic

Postby gallits » Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:28 pm

walt whitman wrote:
gallits wrote:What the fuck do I do with my art history ma.

museum/nonprofit world?

begun (another) ma or a phd?

:|

I've been doing some freelance proofreading/editing work while still working as a chef. I've been trying to cut down the latter and increase the former but it's hard. Very few people seem to want to pay minimum wage. Insanely I got a pretty big job because someone emailed me asking if they could quote my thesis in a book they were writing and ask me a few questions about the topic. Eventually I ended up quite thoroughly copy editing the thing
gallits

Postby Daft Pun » Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:29 pm

ah yes we'll have a decision EOD tuesday or wednesday. now it's thurs haven't heard shit. just sent a follow-up email likely to no avail
AIR
Daft Pun
i'm ill not sicc

Postby Daft Pun » Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:31 pm

labor is so insanely cheap in this shit country just fucking give me a chance. but no
AIR
Daft Pun
i'm ill not sicc

Postby Ferrous Bueller » Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:43 pm

I'm currently getting radio silence on 4 things I've interviewed for

I'll blame labor day for now, but eeeesh
Ferrous Bueller

Postby Ferrous Bueller » Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:31 pm

I'm starting to think I might be hellbanned irl
Ferrous Bueller

Postby Hal Jordan » Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:43 pm

Ferrous i see you, bud
well that was intense
Hal Jordan

Postby camping » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:25 pm

edit nvm i thought this was members
Johan POOPLER wrote:girls see your dick and it reminds them of their saddest birthday
camping
i wish i cared

Postby galactagogue » Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:44 am

Dear fucking lord, I've spent the entire day writing cover letter after fucking cover letter. I Hate This. Officially.
...ive said too much
galactagogue

Postby Ferrous Bueller » Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:46 pm

Ferrous Bueller wrote:I'm currently getting radio silence on 4 things I've interviewed for

I'll blame labor day for now, but eeeesh

welp, make that 3 things

:x

the real fun one's gonna be when I get a nope from the place that sent me a contingent offer
Ferrous Bueller

Postby Mr. Cool Wave » Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:51 pm

Flabbergasted by how normalized the expectation of unpaid labor is in the analytics/data-science hiring process. I've had several interviews that necessitated a 4-6 hour take-home project before even having the opportunity to talk to a hiring manager.
Mr. Cool Wave

Postby galactagogue » Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:09 pm

there's tons of purely unpaid work in the creative sector. it's ridic. everyone offers you school credit, which is another way of saying You Pay Someone Else To Work For Us.

living off my savings is scary :/
...ive said too much
galactagogue

Postby animefilm » Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:47 pm

I can't believe as an art school graduate, that I'm 'not qualified' enough to even be a museum docent.
animefilm

Postby walt whitman » Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:54 pm

oh yeah, docents require years of training at most museums (god knows why)
walt whitman

Postby animefilm » Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:55 pm

walt whitman wrote:oh yeah, docents require years of training at most museums (god knows why)

Darn :(
animefilm

Postby a is jump » Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:00 am

I finally got a fucking job. Took about 9 months of looking. I applied to over 100 positions. Got phone interviews with 6 places. 2nd round phone/video interviews with 3 of those.

I feel like I can breathe again.
a is jump

Postby tarantula » Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:04 am

considering how hard it is to get a job, what about not getting a job and just waiting for the sun to destroy everything
tarantula

Postby Hal Jordan » Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:29 pm

hey sending out good vibes to all of you in this thread
well that was intense
Hal Jordan

Postby grace cathedral park » Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:36 pm

how do you find fucking jobs to apply to
Never knowingly eaten an ass.
grace cathedral park
The Rooster

Postby Bad Craziness » Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:19 pm

I just got a full time job working for a tech startup and I'm so relieved

I've been killing myself with the work-from-home freelance lifestyle for the past several years, and I tried to fix it by also getting a job at a bar, but that turned out to be a disaster

haven't had the 9-5 life in a while but I know it's better than the 24/7 constant dread/procrastination/opportunity-cost that's prevented me from being able to focus or relax on anything
Bad Craziness

Postby chad » Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:47 pm

I’m looking again
add me on habbo: ChadBraddington
chad

Postby Ferrous Bueller » Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:51 pm

welcome, user chad
Ferrous Bueller

Postby chad » Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:01 pm

ty
add me on habbo: ChadBraddington
chad

Postby bruceagain » Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:57 am

I'm looking too, it stinks but eh
The Internet is supposed to be fun. If you're not enjoying yourself, you can leave the forum forever and never look back.
bruceagain

Postby Bad Craziness » Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:08 am

on the train to my new job now

don’t give up guys!
Bad Craziness

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....