Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby hiddenicon » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:28 pm

fuck, i cant wait for the slow build with silver surfer and such that's obviously coming. build some sort of crisis involving the xmen that comes to a head around the time galactus arrives on the scene.
hiddenicon

Postby tgk » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:41 pm

goofjan wrote:And Killmonger, though I wasn't into Jordan's performance,

The fuck
tgk

Postby tgk » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:43 pm

Not sure how you bring in galactus without doing a total retread of thanos
tgk

Postby hiddenicon » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:47 pm

a total retread of thanos 10 years from now with a cast of different characters. theyre doing galactus.
hiddenicon

Postby Science » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:53 pm

goofjan wrote:
Total aside: I think Nebula is underrated. I love her insanity in the first GOTG. She's just this ferocious wild card. And I love her cool, calculated nature in GOTG2 and her turn to the good side is really emotional. Gillen rules.

This was the most surprisingly awesome performance in the MCU. She just seems completely otherworldly.
Last edited by Science on Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Science
Prometheus sucks.

Postby goofjan » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:53 pm

tgk wrote:
goofjan wrote:And Killmonger, though I wasn't into Jordan's performance,

The fuck

haha. yeah, I know. it's blasphemous. I definitely need to see it again but on the first go-around I didn't dig it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

as for the next big bads, yeah, I think Galactus will show up at some point if the Fox merger thing works out in that way. Ditto for Doom. In the meantime, I think Mephisto would be pretty cool.
plz if u get a chanse put some flowrs on algernons grave kthxbye
goofjan

Postby kirito » Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:14 pm

tgk wrote:Not sure how you bring in galactus without doing a total retread of thanos

"oh no, he's gonna... eat the earth i guess"
I love social media, I love fitness and I love photography
kirito

Postby Viz » Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:22 pm

I liked how they used Galactus in Annihilation.

This unstoppable force of nature gets somehow weakened and used a power source by Annihililus. Thanos and the Guardians team up to free Galactus, he wakes up and destroys Annihilus.
Viz

Postby Ferrous Bueller » Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:23 pm

hiddenicon wrote:a total retread of thanos 10 years from now with a cast of different characters. theyre doing galactus.

this sounds... miserable
Ferrous Bueller

Postby hiddenicon » Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:26 pm

Ferrous Bueller wrote:
hiddenicon wrote:a total retread of thanos 10 years from now with a cast of different characters. theyre doing galactus.

this sounds... miserable

i like these movies so it sounds fine by me. it's just like Bond... it's not the plots that matter, it's how it's delivered up.
hiddenicon

Postby kirito » Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:29 pm

badhat wrote:i’ve thought that too, but its not like they had a choice. thanos was a threat to the whole universe, you cant isolationist yourself out of that.

"we don't trade lives"

*lets hundreds of wakandans die to save an ai*
I love social media, I love fitness and I love photography
kirito

Postby Self Destructive Zone » Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:43 pm

we don't trade lives we are emotionally invested in!
giant screens with skies exploding/thumping bass and power chords/we got a preacher if you're listening/he'll play his guitar if you're bored
Self Destructive Zone

Postby tgk » Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:47 pm

Scarlet witch was the only one who could destroy the stone. The whole movie is a rejection of the "we don't trade lives" ethos both Scarlet and quill were given direct instructions by their loved ones to kill them to save the world and both couldn't do it until it was too late.
tgk

Postby palmer eldritch » Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:48 pm

the plot of this movie does not really hold up to much scrutiny
palmer eldritch

Postby Self Destructive Zone » Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:51 pm

that is true, but unlike something like the dark knight where the plot doesnt hold up on rewatch, inifinity wars is really fun and didnt inspire a generation of MRAs and spree shooters, so there.
giant screens with skies exploding/thumping bass and power chords/we got a preacher if you're listening/he'll play his guitar if you're bored
Self Destructive Zone

Postby Self Destructive Zone » Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:52 pm

i watched independence day a couple weeks ago and it is not the same as when i was 12 obviously, but i was stunned that the stupid plot was internally coherent
Self Destructive Zone

Postby goofjan » Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:57 pm

they should have transferred Vision's mind to a Furby.
goofjan

Postby cyantific » Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:35 pm

Are we going to get this version of Vision or is he going to be dead

cyantific

Postby tawny frogmouth » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:56 am

https://www.vox.com/summer-movies/2018/ ... al-dilemma

i think this addresses the "we don't trade lives" issue pretty well. cap's haunted "oh my god" at the end is the perfect summation of him realizing just how badly he screwed up
tawny frogmouth

Postby goofjan » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:33 am

goofjan

Postby reversemigraine » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:48 am

I'm pretty much done with Office-style gimmicks but the Darryl stuff always makes me laugh.
reversemigraine

Postby Self Destructive Zone » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:56 am

tgk wrote:Scarlet witch was the only one who could destroy the stone. The whole movie is a rejection of the "we don't trade lives" ethos both Scarlet and quill were given direct instructions by their loved ones to kill them to save the world and both couldn't do it until it was too late.

Quill does it at the right time, it just turns out that the right time is also too late. I suppose he could have just instantly murdered her when she told him toi kill her if thanos ever got her, but hindsight is 20/20
Self Destructive Zone

Postby tgk » Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:35 pm

I'm showing my 6 year old infinity war, which isn't particularly violent, but man, it deals in heavy, heavy shit. I really love the three monologues that open the film, beginning with Kenneth Branagh's distress call, to Ebony Maw, to Thanos

This is the Asgardian
refugee vessel Statesman.
We are under assault.
I repeat, we are under assault.
The engines are dead, life support failing.
Requesting aid from any vessel within range.
We are 22 jump points out of Asgard.
Our crew is made up of Asgardian families.
We have very few soldiers here.
This is not a warcraft.
I repeat, this is not a warcraft.

Hear me and rejoice.
You have had the privilege
of being saved by the Great Titan.
You may think this is suffering.
No.
It is salvation.
Universal scales tip toward balance because of your sacrifice.
Smile. For even in death, you have become Children of Thanos.

I know what it's like to lose.
To feel so desperately
that you're right... yet to fail, nonetheless.
It's frightening.
Turns the legs to jelly.
But I ask you, to what end?
Dread it, run from it... destiny arrives all the same.
And now, it's here.
Or should I say...
I am.
tgk

Postby Viz » Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:16 am

Rewatching Infinity War with the director/writer commentary was interesting. Everything that they were hoping to accomplish was pretty much exactly everything that I enjoyed about the movie: mixing the characters together, rewarding investment in the history of the characters, a villain that didn't cackle, and trying to provide little arcs for everyone.

They were taking a chance by placing Wakanda as the central stage for the final battle. At the time, they didn't know just how well received Black Panther would be.

This was a don don, but they were aiming for a Empire Strikes Back ending for this.

It was pointed out that in the final scene with Thanos, there is a scarecrow with his armour on it visible, calling back to the original ending of the Infinity Gauntlet comic. I wondering now if Thanos is going to have a big part to play in reversing the whole thing.

I still get bummed out that Loki is dead. Vision died twice and I still don't care.
Viz

Postby tgk » Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:33 am

Yeah i'm watching it again with my kid (third time! this may be one of my favorite action films ever) and the whole crux of the movie comes down to this line when everyone is in wakanda debating what to do with vision

Vision: Thanos threatens half the universe. One life cannot stand in the way of defeating him.
Captain America: But it should.

That's what dooms the universe, and what brings steve rogers to his knees at the end "To feel so desperately
that you're right... yet to fail, nonetheless. It's frightening. Turns the legs to jelly."
tgk

Postby badhat » Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:45 am

that article tawny posted about the vox piece is really good

like the whole “we dont trade lives” trolley car thing is the crux of so many action movies and invariably the hero refuses to sacrifice a person for the greater good and that act is rewarded by some deus ex machina and so the practical ramifications of that ideology are always skirted- basically by karma.

its super hardwired in us to expect both the principled stance and the (usually hokey) validation. thats whats devastating about cap in this and so brilliant abt thanos opening speech.

(torchwood: children of earth is the other genre piece that comes to mind as really effectively fucking with us with the trolley problem. devastating)
admittedly the metal thread has recently taken a hit
badhat

Postby tgk » Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:50 am

the directors mentioned how using all the stones permanently damages both thanos and the gauntlet and i wonder how/if that plays into his defeat in pt 2, because i can't come up with how on earth they'll figure out how to make the good guys winning happen.
tgk

Postby neuartillery » Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:56 am

I'm watching it with Frau Artillery, who did not see it in theaters. She was very mad about the opening scene in which half of Asgard is dead, since she was a big fan of Thor: Ragnarok. Thor's scenes are particular standouts -- the film's balance of humor and darkness is trickier than any other MCU entry, and Hemsworth does well at both ends of that spectrum.
neuartillery

Postby goofjan » Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:57 am

it all makes me wonder what Cap's ultimate arc is in these movies. where will he end up emotionally? i always thought the tragedy of him was that he went through all this shit in WWII, (thought he) sacrificed himself, woke up decades later and had to deal with the same old shit. that he always chooses optimism instead of cynicism is so wonderful. but how will he deal with his guilt in Avengers 4?
goofjan

Postby tawny frogmouth » Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:30 pm

goofjan wrote:it all makes me wonder what Cap's ultimate arc is in these movies. where will he end up emotionally? i always thought the tragedy of him was that he went through all this shit in WWII, (thought he) sacrificed himself, woke up decades later and had to deal with the same old shit. that he always chooses optimism instead of cynicism is so wonderful. but how will he deal with his guilt in Avengers 4?

by trading his life to bring others back, i'm guessing
tawny frogmouth

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....