Cloning while they're multiplying
Fashion shoots with Beck and Hanson
Courtney Love, and Marilyn Manson
You're all fakes
Run to your mansions
Come around
We'll kick your ass in

Postby badhat » Mon May 28, 2018 4:05 am

strange is definitely the nadir of rote, obligatory origin stories.

like embarrassingly so.

and he has zero personality.

its rough
admittedly the metal thread has recently taken a hit
badhat

Postby Prof. Horatio Hufnagel » Mon May 28, 2018 5:01 am

also it has benedict cumberbatch in it who is one of the most annoying people ever to have lived
Gnome Sane
Prof. Horatio Hufnagel

Postby Annie May » Mon May 28, 2018 5:50 am

I thought cumberbatch was a lot better in IW than in dr. strange
Annie May

Postby Smiling Penner-Lite » Mon May 28, 2018 11:05 am

Merciel wrote:We finally caught up with Doctor Strange (2016) and damn if that isn't a weird-ass movie.

The effects were cool and the Dormammu showdown was cool but everything else felt really, really half-baked to me. The transformation of Doctor Strange from egocentric asshole --> breaks all his fingers --> ??? --> altruistic hero willing to endure untold eternities of Groundhog Day deaths to save the rest of the world happens... because... why? There's no actual reason for him to change, he's never really humbled or given any reason to care more about people-as-people (vs. people-as-opportunities to be awesome) across the length of the film. (He does suck at magic for a while, but that's evidently because he refuses to concede rationality, and once he does, he's immediately the best and most awesome prodigy rockstar again, with ego fully intact.)

The whole movie is like that. Maybe at some point there were more dots to connect in the character development arcs, but if so they appear to have gotten cut so we could watch more CGI building kaleidoscopes, which incidentally look really cool but also strike me as a massively inefficient way of accomplishing the goal of just killing a guy.

It's definitely a bottom tier Marvel movie for me, which sucks because the concept and effects had so much potential.

I mean, he was a doctor. Someone who heals people. So is it that much of a stretch?

I dunno, this is all fair comment Merciel, but for me, I liked how they didn't shy away from the mystical side of Strange and there was enough Kirby-esque scenes I thought it worked for me.

Plus, the cloak was fantastic, and even though the Groundhog Day ending might have felt unearned, I was just happy that a giant spaceship didn't crash on some city somewhere, and he actually used his brain to win.
Smiling Penner-Lite

Postby kirito » Mon May 28, 2018 11:10 am

doctah doctah
I love social media, I love fitness and I love photography
kirito

Postby Bartatua » Mon May 28, 2018 12:02 pm

I've sure this got posted at some point but i watched this today

i broke somebody's ribs
Bartatua

Postby Merciel » Mon May 28, 2018 2:21 pm

Smiling Penner-Lite wrote:I mean, he was a doctor. Someone who heals people. So is it that much of a stretch?

Yeah, it is, because right before the crash we see him paging through case files of people who desperately need his help, and turning down several of them because they're just not interesting enough to warrant his attention. Similarly, before that, we see him swooping in to embarrass the other doc (which incidentally was a weird Stuhlbarg appearance, like I thought he was beyond taking that small of a nothing role, but I guess he and Donald Glover both figured Marvel bit-part money is damn good money).

You can't make it a whole lot clearer that Doctor Strange is not in the business to help people, he's in it to show off that he's better than everyone else.

And then he goes from that to getting all holy about the Hippocratic Oath. It's just weird, and it never gets explained.

I did like the cloak and the effects and the mystical weirdness, I just wish those frills had been attached to a better supporting framework.
Merciel
Hipinion Dog Lady

Postby Viz » Mon May 28, 2018 2:51 pm

Was Strange really that altruistic by the end of the movie? I saw him as being the same arrogant asshole at the end, and the showdown with Dormammu was just another way of him showing that he was better than anybody. His subsequent appearances certainly don't portray him as being any different from his initial appearances either.
Viz

Postby Self Destructive Zone » Mon May 28, 2018 2:59 pm

I took as a bit of a mess in what they were trying to do. They broke Strange’s strictly materialist world view and acted like that would also get him to be outside himself or other centered or any of the other things people associate with eastern religions, but what they actually show is him getting cool super powers. I’m fine inferring a worldview adjustment off screen, but it seems weird to leave it out when it is essential to the movie’s climax. But whatever, Cumberbatch was consistently funny and the effects were cool and I liked the pacifist ending
giant screens with skies exploding/thumping bass and power chords/we got a preacher if you're listening/he'll play his guitar if you're bored
Self Destructive Zone

Postby tawny frogmouth » Tue May 29, 2018 9:23 am

doctor strange isn't one of my favorites, but i'm gonna mount a half-assed defense and say that they pepper the movie with "it's not about you" as the thing he keeps learning. rachel mcadams says it in the beginning, he gets humbled over and over again at the magic school, and then he has his moment with the ancient one when she's dying and she stretches the moment out to watch the lightning. it may be by the numbers, but it's not like it's out of nowhere for him to make a sacrifice play by the end of the movie.
tawny frogmouth

Postby Drinky » Tue May 29, 2018 10:40 am

I definitely think Dr Strange could have done a lot more to sell the passage of time and Strange's struggle to train and learn magic. They just kind of rush through it and leave you guessing as to how long he actually spent in training. Supposedly the whole movie takes place over the period of a year, but that's still a super short time for him to undergo such a massive transformation and become the best student ever just because of his "photographic memory" or whatever.

Still I can imagine that the training stuff might have been edited way down because it would have been tedious to sit through, and the movie was, in typical MCU fashion, a lot of fun to watch if you don't think too much about it. And I think whenever I get back to re-watching this one, I'll probably be grateful that I don't have to endure a long, painful training sequence and can just watch the fun the stuff without having to fast forward through anything.
Drinky

Postby john plainman » Tue May 29, 2018 10:44 am

The movie should have just started off with him already established as a magician and a reference to his past as a surgeon couldve been inserted into the exposition
john plainman
Hello? Hello? Anybody home?

Postby kirito » Tue May 29, 2018 10:52 am

Viz wrote:Was Strange really that altruistic by the end of the movie? I saw him as being the same arrogant asshole at the end, and the showdown with Dormammu was just another way of him showing that he was better than anybody. His subsequent appearances certainly don't portray him as being any different from his initial appearances either.

it was still a tremendous sacrifice. imagine how many times he had to let himself be killed until he brought a transdimensional god to the verge of losing his sanity.
I love social media, I love fitness and I love photography
kirito

Postby Smiling Penner-Lite » Tue May 29, 2018 10:53 am

john plainman wrote:The movie should have just started off with him already established as a magician and a reference to his past as a surgeon couldve been inserted into the exposition

This is so true, and true for all of these movies.
Smiling Penner-Lite

Postby goofjan » Tue May 29, 2018 10:57 am

^ yeah that's why Homecoming worked so well.
plz if u get a chanse put some flowrs on algernons grave kthxbye
goofjan

Postby Drinky » Tue May 29, 2018 11:31 am

I don't know, I think origin movies are fine for some of the characters that general audiences aren't familiar with like Dr. Strange, Ant-Man, Captain Marvel, etc. The trick is to find ways to keep them from feeling too formulaic, and Doctor Strange definitely could have done better in that regard.

It's nice when you can have a character already established in another movie, like Black Panther or MCU Spider-Man, so you don't have to have the full origin in their first solo film. But you also don't want to crowd every big ensemble movie with important new character introductions. I think Marvel has done a pretty good job of mixing these up.
Drinky

Postby FourLegsGood » Wed May 30, 2018 8:30 pm

Saw the new Deadpool. Really wanted to leave throughout most of it. The scene where 90% of X-Force gets taken out by high winds while parachutingToggle Spoiler was great but overall it was a headache.
easy wrote:GOD DAMN IT
FourLegsGood

Postby Ferrous Bueller » Wed May 30, 2018 8:42 pm

doctor strange was one of the best ones

it looked really cool, which is really all you can expect out of these things

:geek:
Ferrous Bueller

Postby tawny frogmouth » Thu May 31, 2018 9:58 am

tawny frogmouth

Postby goofjan » Thu May 31, 2018 10:55 am

Ghost has the potential to be an awesome villain. I'm excited for this movie!

also I think pretty much every criticism of Doctor Strange is valid but I'm surprised that it's crept up in my rankings and I've rewatched it twice since it's come out and I enjoy it more each time. I agree that they do a better job of the character of Stephen Strange in Infinity War (and I like Cumberbatch) but I love everything else about the movie. The visuals. The score is incredible. And there are some really great action sequences. And of course the ending is great.
plz if u get a chanse put some flowrs on algernons grave kthxbye
goofjan

Postby sevenarts » Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:55 am

I watched and/or re-watched all of these over the last month or so, so of course I need to do tiers too. Catching up like this and then going back to the older ones I'd seen before really drove home how much better Marvel has gotten at this, both because they've laid all that foundation now - movies like Civil War and Infinity War really benefit from how much they can just GO without doing an elaborate build-up - and because they've gotten so practiced at throwing all these characters and images together in the most comic booky ways possible. Infinity War feels like an event comic, it's amazing.

Tiers 1-2 are great, Tier 3 have worthy elements, Tier 4 I never want to see again.

TIER 1
Avengers: Infinity War
Black Panther
Captain America: The Winter Soldier

TIER 2
Thor: Ragnarok
Captain America: Civil War
Guardians of the Galaxy
Ant-Man
Spider-Man: Homecoming
The Avengers

TIER 3
Iron Man
Captain America: The First Avenger
Guardians of the Galaxy vol. 2
Avengers: Age of Ultron
Thor
Dr. Strange

TIER 4
Iron Man 3
Thor: The Dark World
Iron Man 2
Incredible Hulk
sevenarts

Postby surly » Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:27 am

it's insane to me how many people have absolutely wretched opinions about the one good iron man movie
lordofdiapers wrote:damn it Greedo will forever fuck that word for me
surly
the insult bastard

Postby john plainman » Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:39 am

iron man 3? i just watched it, and enjoyed it quite a bit :oops:
john plainman
Hello? Hello? Anybody home?

Postby Rainbow Battle Kid » Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:57 am

IM3 slaps
Much Honoured Lord Nefarious wrote:rainbow battle kid you can kindly get the FUCK out of this thread while the adults have actual STAR WARS discussions.
Rainbow Battle Kid

Postby delgriffith » Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:07 am

Tier 1
Iron Man 3
Ant Man
Black Panther

Tier 2
Thor Ragnarok

Tier 3
Guardians of the Galaxy
Iron Man

Haven't seen the rest
delgriffith

Postby Ampersand » Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:49 am

meet your New Avengers

Ampersand

Postby Ampersand » Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:53 am

also i betcha Wasp and Luis turn to ash at the end of Ant Man/WaspToggle Spoiler
Ampersand

Postby reversemigraine » Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:27 pm

So a friend was asking about how Captain Marvel will fit into everything, and as I was trying to explain I realized that I didn't really have a sense of what Carol's post-Ms. Marvel characterization really is (never kept up with the DeConnick or Stohl runs), so I was kinda winging it.

My assumption -- and the way I explained it -- is that her story (in the MCU, at least) will probably be something akin to Green Lantern and/or The Last Starfighter: test pilot is zapped into space, gets wrapped up in an intergalactic war, and learns how to harness her new super powers with the help of her alien mentor. I know that the Nova Corps historically has kinda been Marvel's stand-in for the Green Lantern Corps, but I think I've assumed that Carol kinda fills a Hal Jordan role in the comics these days. Is that about right?
reversemigraine

Postby Prof. Horatio Hufnagel » Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:06 pm

Ampersand wrote:meet your New Avengers

hulk looks like a dink
Gnome Sane
Prof. Horatio Hufnagel

Postby spix et chicho » Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:07 pm

Prof. Horatio Hufnagel wrote:
Ampersand wrote:meet your New Avengers

hulk looks like a dink

CIARA IS DEFIANTLY A MAN AND ITS DISGUSTING MY CUZIN WAS THROWING UP FOR 2 WEEKSM YUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKK PLEASE SIGN THIS B/C THATS JSUT HERENDOUZ
spix et chicho

PreviousNext

Return to Mamma Mia... Here We Go Again....